Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:53:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Music thread 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 74 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Music thread  (Read 815799 times)
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1190 on: August 08, 2012, 12:34:15 PM

Too masturbatey for me. I like a bit more substance to things. Lots of potential if they can bring the writing up to the level of the technical prowess.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #1191 on: August 08, 2012, 12:39:38 PM

lol ^

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #1192 on: August 08, 2012, 12:40:31 PM

Your link only works if I open it in a different tab, BW, if I try to watch it in the f13 plugin it goes to some other song on a playlist.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #1193 on: August 08, 2012, 07:39:04 PM

These guys came through Omaha a little while back with Flogging Molly, and I am enjoying their music immensely at the moment.

Reverend Peyton's Big Damn Band - Clap Your Hands

Beyond that, it's been all Dax Riggs, all the time, lately.

E: Spelling.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 07:42:05 PM by Cadaverine »

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #1194 on: August 09, 2012, 08:14:59 PM

Saw Sigur Ros last night.  I think it's around my third or fourth time in twelve years, and every time is just a damned magical experience.

Jack White is on Tuesday.  I was supposed to see Dead Can Dance on Friday night, but I think we're going out of town.  Then we have a small break until Bumbershoot.  I'm pretty excited to see M83 there; I've missed them every time they've been in town.
Minvaren
Terracotta Army

Reply #1195 on: August 09, 2012, 08:30:28 PM

Holy shit, Iron Maiden is playing here in 10 days.  Pretty much just lawn seats left, but...

(ponders)

(edit: why not)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 08:39:24 PM by Minvaren »

"There are many things of which a wise man might wish to remain ignorant." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #1196 on: August 10, 2012, 09:35:29 AM

Saw Sigur Ros last night.  I think it's around my third or fourth time in twelve years, and every time is just a damned magical experience.

Jack White is on Tuesday.  I was supposed to see Dead Can Dance on Friday night, but I think we're going out of town.  Then we have a small break until Bumbershoot.  I'm pretty excited to see M83 there; I've missed them every time they've been in town.

So weird to see.  Sigur is Sigurd which is my father's name and the male form of Signe and Ros means Rose which is one of my middle names.  Anyway, I've always kind of wanted to see them because they are just so weirdly ambient.  Good for a mellow stoner.  And also because of the name.  Never got the opportunity though.  Might still do, though.  And M83 and Dead Can Dance - sheesh - where are you?  Some sort of magical place where all the electronic music passes through?  Bumbershoot, too!  Fuck me.  I'd cry blood to see Jane's Addiction and Prong again.  I recently listened to the new Prong album and I thought it was really good.  Like old Prong before the record company fucked them over.  Having said that, I'll be seeing Rob Zombie in November which makes me pee myself every time I think about it.  BATHROOM!!!!

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1197 on: August 10, 2012, 09:59:06 AM

SIGNE!!!!!! IT LIVESS!!!!!!!!

CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #1198 on: August 10, 2012, 08:06:17 PM

I skimmed the last two pages, so I hope this isn't a BW.

If this is a hoax, I'll be pissed. If it's real, I hope that Beck takes it seriously and allows people to distribute the recorded songs with an attribution license.

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #1199 on: August 10, 2012, 09:56:04 PM

If it's real, I hope that Beck takes it seriously and allows people to distribute the recorded songs with an attribution license.
Yeah, because some of us are musically retarded and can't play sheet music or ukelele to save our lives.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #1200 on: August 10, 2012, 11:44:33 PM

I think that's a bit too high concept.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #1201 on: August 10, 2012, 11:53:01 PM

I dunno, it's pretty much what composers have been doing for hundreds of years.

proudft
Terracotta Army

Reply #1202 on: August 11, 2012, 11:08:11 AM

Will it be available in piano-player roll format?
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #1203 on: August 12, 2012, 06:34:17 AM

Saw Sigur Ros last night.  I think it's around my third or fourth time in twelve years, and every time is just a damned magical experience.

Jack White is on Tuesday.  I was supposed to see Dead Can Dance on Friday night, but I think we're going out of town.  Then we have a small break until Bumbershoot.  I'm pretty excited to see M83 there; I've missed them every time they've been in town.

So weird to see.  Sigur is Sigurd which is my father's name and the male form of Signe and Ros means Rose which is one of my middle names.  Anyway, I've always kind of wanted to see them because they are just so weirdly ambient.  Good for a mellow stoner.  And also because of the name.  Never got the opportunity though.  Might still do, though.  And M83 and Dead Can Dance - sheesh - where are you?  Some sort of magical place where all the electronic music passes through?  Bumbershoot, too!  Fuck me.  I'd cry blood to see Jane's Addiction and Prong again.

Sigur Rós are named after Jonsi's baby (well, just little, now) sister, so that makes an awful lot of sense. And is weirdly coincidental, so yay! They're almost always an amazing experience live; I had the good fortune to be one of the first people to see them play outside of Iceland on their first international tour. They pretty much played the entirety of Ágætis byrjun in a tiny little chapel in Islington, London and it was magical.

Yet to see M83 live, been one of my favourite musicians for a while now. And I don't know what you were going out of town for, Hawk, but missing a regrouped DCD for it?  ACK!

If you party with the Party Prince you get two complimentary after-dinner mints
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #1204 on: August 12, 2012, 06:41:34 AM

Oh, and something for the musos.

Yeah, I know I don't tend to post much that coresponds with the HAIRY MEN + GUITARS remit that this thread persists on, but hey; this guy IS hairy and he does have a guitar.
Also he's fairly local to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nY7GnAq6Znw

Bonus: Chaka Khan without Chaka Khan:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vCcZIARw9k

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #1205 on: August 12, 2012, 07:16:58 AM

His control is off the charts.  He knows that instrument better than I know my wife.  Amazing stuff. 
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #1206 on: August 12, 2012, 02:15:09 PM

Quite something.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Minvaren
Terracotta Army

Reply #1207 on: August 13, 2012, 08:55:29 PM

Old, but didn't see it posted already:

Buckcherry - Tired of You

"There are many things of which a wise man might wish to remain ignorant." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1208 on: August 14, 2012, 10:00:14 AM

I've been mostly listening to Segovia and a collection of old middle eastern recordings in this vein:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjJTPKxqNZA
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1209 on: August 14, 2012, 11:49:04 AM

Huh.  There's an interesting article on Slate about progressive rock (Yes, King Crimson, Emerson Lake and Palmer, etc.) which I'm not particularly a fan of but it's an interesting read nonetheless. 
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #1210 on: August 14, 2012, 12:10:01 PM

I like how they're completely wrong so early in the article.

Progressive rock essentially disappeared, and has remained in obscurity for 35 years

Ohhhhh, I see.

EDIT: Argh, there's some other stuff I disagree with a lot. Although that's pretty normal for prog rock discussions.  why so serious?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 12:20:09 PM by Ingmar »

Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #1211 on: August 14, 2012, 01:44:18 PM

Is this a good time to say I've always hated Muse?

Also, THIS:
“We're not to be enjoyed,” Fripp told one audience in Milwaukee. “We're an intellectual band.”

Later he would say he was joking.

Ohhhhh, I see.  Heart  DRILLING AND MANLINESS
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 01:50:21 PM by Mattemeo »

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #1212 on: August 14, 2012, 01:52:30 PM

I love watching Matthew Bellamy's drama.  He's very talented but I can't listen to his stuff too long.  It makes me embarrassed for him.  He was on the telly the other day and I watched him while listening to Senser.  It was remarkably entertaining.  Next time he's on tv, I'll try Slipknot.

Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #1213 on: August 14, 2012, 01:55:17 PM

I could tollerate, maybe even enjoy Muse, if Matt Bellamy just shut the fuck up. It's like someone put the bastard love-child of Thom Yorke and Mariah Carey into a tumbledryer and set it to 'histrionic'.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #1214 on: August 14, 2012, 01:57:36 PM

It's a natural progression from Jon Anderson and the yodeling guy from Focus.  awesome, for real

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #1215 on: August 14, 2012, 02:11:43 PM

I could tollerate, maybe even enjoy Muse, if Matt Bellamy just shut the fuck up. It's like someone put the bastard love-child of Thom Yorke and Mariah Carey into a tumbledryer and set it to 'histrionic'.

The songs where he's not howling like a banshee are the ones I like.

God Save the Horn Players
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1216 on: August 14, 2012, 02:14:32 PM

I like Muse, but I have to be in the mood for it (which is a rarity). 

And Ingmar, I don't really know enough about any of the bands to say what is or isn't right about it.  I just thought it was interesting.  I had a buddy that was very into Yes back in college, but that's about the extent of what I know. 
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #1217 on: August 14, 2012, 02:17:09 PM

Yeah I'm just bitching at the article, not you. My degree is in bitching about music.  why so serious?

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #1218 on: August 14, 2012, 02:45:48 PM

I like how they're completely wrong so early in the article.

For reals. It just reeks of "Its not like WE used to do", while ignoring that "progressive" music simply changed.

Ill just leave this here.

Pagan's Mind (2011) - The Master's Voice
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 02:57:01 PM by Mrbloodworth »

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #1219 on: August 14, 2012, 03:07:41 PM

It's an idiotic statement to say prog disappeared for 35 years.

No, jackass, you just stopped paying attention because it wasn't POPULAR.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #1220 on: August 14, 2012, 03:18:52 PM

And it can easily be argued that it has been popular again since OK Computer. Also 35 years ago puts us at 1977, and 90125 sold *millions* of copies in 1983.

So basically this guy is just making shit up.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1221 on: August 14, 2012, 03:41:59 PM

I guess it all comes down to the definition of "progressive rock".  I wouldn't have lumped Radiohead in with Yes or King Crimson, but maybe they should be. 
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #1222 on: August 14, 2012, 03:51:06 PM

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #1223 on: August 14, 2012, 04:01:59 PM

Speaking of the D, I like the new album a lot better than Pick of Destiny. Not the equal of the first one still but I don't think that's happening again.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1224 on: August 14, 2012, 04:06:20 PM

Yeah, it will be tough for Tenacious D to reinvent themselves in an interesting enough way to have the same impact they initially had. 
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 74 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Music thread  
Jump to: