Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:00:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Music thread 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 74 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Music thread  (Read 815775 times)
trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #1155 on: July 19, 2012, 01:44:53 AM

I love that since youtube users can upload any length videos we can get full albums there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFeBPRnq3Yc&feature=related

Heart

Ok, so 5th row Maiden was right in front of Bruce's left riser...and the subwoofers. I forgot to pack ear plugs and my left ear is fucked up yet again (Skynyrd really popped it hard, though). Also forgot to tell my buddy that we were 5th row, after three security checkpoints and getting wristbands for front access, he's like 'where the fuck ARE these seats, dude?'  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

But goddamn was it a good show. I went with a buddy and next to me was a kid from Poland who was doing a six show run, helped him hold up his flag for a bit and he really came out of his shell and we sang wicked loud...kinda feel bad for the guys in front of us, but it was fun. Always better when you've got a nice section of folks getting into it and singing and fist pumping. Seventh Son wasn't my favorite album (or in my top five even), but still enough awesomeness in the set.

I won't be in the 5th row, but I am fucking excited for this show.  August 1st can't come soon enough.  Fuck yeah.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 02:23:41 AM by trias_e »
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1156 on: July 19, 2012, 01:53:41 PM

Just heard Ball of Confusion on the radio.  That got me looking on Youtube and found these gems too:  Can't Get Next to You and the last concert with David Ruffin

The Temptations were badass. 
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #1157 on: July 19, 2012, 02:55:29 PM

I always think of the Love and Rockets version first.  why so serious?

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1158 on: July 19, 2012, 08:15:45 PM

Also quite good. 
trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #1159 on: July 26, 2012, 01:13:59 AM

Playlist that covers a wide representation of death metal, filtered for what I think is the absolute best.  What I would have given a close friend as a mixtape if that was 10 years ago.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtwOoMlwD8w&list=PLA39395E2687FDACD&feature=plpp_play_all
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1160 on: July 26, 2012, 07:59:09 AM

Hell Awaits is an interesting choice. I wouldn't really call it death metal, but I guess it's on the more mainstream end of that spectrum? We just called that stuff thrash back then.

Here's a metal mix tape I might have slapped together in the 80s (with a couple later tunes at the end, just because). Most of this is the stuff that influenced my band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmlA38RmMCk&list=PLEC9CDCA9D7B0EA6C&feature=plpp_play_all
trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #1161 on: July 28, 2012, 07:17:54 PM

Hell Awaits is an interesting choice. I wouldn't really call it death metal, but I guess it's on the more mainstream end of that spectrum? We just called that stuff thrash back then.

Here's a metal mix tape I might have slapped together in the 80s (with a couple later tunes at the end, just because). Most of this is the stuff that influenced my band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmlA38RmMCk&list=PLEC9CDCA9D7B0EA6C&feature=plpp_play_all

Hell Awaits is death metal in spirit, just not quite in form yet.  Still I'd say they were kinda close in the way they wrote riffs.  It's definitely still thrash metal, but I think Slayer pointed thrash metal in the direction of becoming death metal which is why I put em there.

Some awesome stuff in that list.  I've never actually listened to Overkill before, that was pretty good.  Everything else I'd heard, but I haven't listened to thrash in a while so it's a fun listen.  Except Manowar.  I fucking hate Manowar.  

The only problem is a serious lack of Sodom!  Agent Orange is in my top 10 favorite thrash albums easy.  
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 07:20:57 PM by trias_e »
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1162 on: July 28, 2012, 08:43:05 PM

I had a Sodom album (In the Sign of Evil), but it never caught on for me. I was a pretty big Venom fan, too but I retrospect it really sounds fairly cheesy.

I highly recommend the first Overkill album, Feel the Fire. I'm not the biggest overkill fan and didn't care for their later more popular stuff. But that first album was in rotation for the formative winter of our band, when we were just getting decent on our instruments. My singer and I would sit at his house smoking weed and cranking the rotation on his dad's awesome sound system. Overkill, Savatage's Dungeons are calling EP, Mercyful Fate's Melissa, Exodus' Bonded by Blood and Metallica's Ride the Lightning were the core albums.

Also, thank god for Brian Slagel and the Metal Massacre stuff.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 08:44:51 PM by Sky »
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #1163 on: July 31, 2012, 03:40:47 PM

Shifting gears... slightly? Snoop Dogg is now Snoop Lion. He's said he's done with Rap, and is releasing a pure Reggae album.

Probably not relevant to a lot of people, but, I figured I would share. Additionally, there's a documentary coming out about his journey.

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/07/30/snoop-at-midlife-more-lion-than-dogg/?smid=fb-share

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTqyV5Kw9Ss

As someone who grew up in California, Dub/Reggae/Ska and all the branches of the family were/are pretty important to me. As was a lot of Rap.... so, this should/could be interesting. Time will see.

beer geek.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #1164 on: July 31, 2012, 05:04:38 PM

I've always kind of hated reggae.

sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #1165 on: July 31, 2012, 05:31:46 PM

Most republicans do.

beer geek.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #1166 on: July 31, 2012, 05:42:07 PM

Reggae-adjacent stuff is fine, but I dunno, the real thing bores me to tears.

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #1167 on: July 31, 2012, 05:55:23 PM

I'm not huge into reggae but how can you hate Bob Marley! 
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #1168 on: July 31, 2012, 09:44:47 PM

It's boring as hell outside of a few songs?
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #1169 on: July 31, 2012, 09:47:39 PM

If I hear "Jammin'" one more time this week, I am going to punch someone.

- Viin
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #1170 on: July 31, 2012, 11:43:21 PM

He has been resting on his laurels for decades now.  I he releases something new then we will talk. 

ditto with regards to the Jammin' comment... hell anything that was on the Legend comp.

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1171 on: August 01, 2012, 09:37:41 AM

Never really "gotten" reggae.

sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #1172 on: August 01, 2012, 10:00:22 AM

I grew up with my dad listening to all sorts of "world music" stuff, including reggae. And far beyond just Marley stuff, even though I really like his music. Really, I would probably say I prefer Jimmy Cliff to Marley in regards to The Big Names. Lee Perry and Tosh as well.

The only reggae related thing that drives me crazy is the ridiculous amount of "reggae rock" we get in California, especially along the coast.

beer geek.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1173 on: August 02, 2012, 09:53:45 AM

Things I discovered at the Mayhem Fest: Slipknot is much bigger than I'd realized and I'm still not too old to mosh.

Anthrax made the call to headline the 2nd stage rather than open the main stage. Good fucking call. It was a pretty tight set, but they jammed some great tunes in there and the GA lawn + Joey's entreating people to mosh really got things fun. For the war dance in Indians, I think a good half of the lawn was moshing. Great to see them with Joey, the new stuff was great, Scott was all new daddy happy and enjoying it, only downer was no Charlie (wrist injury I guess). I think they were pretty much the highlight of the day. Didn't realize I had that much moshing left in the tank.

It was crazy seeing how young the audience skews these days with the slipnuts and the devil wears prada and whatnot. And so many girls at a metal show! The new bands were fun, but I'm fairly well on record about vocals....but it's nice to hear the bands tearing it up live. Even got into the pit a lilbit with As I Lay Dying.

Missed Asking Alexandria on the main stage open. Motorhead was LOUD AS HELL as usual, nice set with some rocking stuff. Lemmy's bass tone is so monstrously awesome and commanding. Nice Mikkey Dee drum solo, I'm a fan from his stint with King Diamond. I wore goddamned earplugs.

Slayer just slaughtered the place, but I was a bit disappointed that the Slipnuts crowd wasn't really into it. I'd say it was about 1/3 of the crowd digging things. Gary Holt still sitting in for Hanneman, and Holt is a total monster on guitar; the band was totally on point. I had been listening to my favorite Slayer disc Reign in Blood, hoping they would play Altar of Sacrifice/Jesus Saves...win!

Slipknuts just completely destroyed the place; it was a Slipknot crowd for sure. I've only got 2 discs, the self-titled and Iowa, surprised how many of their tunes I knew well enough to sing along with. Just such a great modern metal band, great groove and showmanship. First time I've seen them, doubtful it's the last.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #1174 on: August 02, 2012, 04:16:16 PM

Slayer just slaughtered the place, but I was a bit disappointed that the Slipnuts crowd wasn't really into it. I'd say it was about 1/3 of the crowd digging things.

Goddamn kids have no fucking taste.

If you're a Rush fan, their new album Clockwork Angels is on sale for .99 cents today on Amazon (only the MP3 download - the CD is $12).

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1175 on: August 02, 2012, 05:38:42 PM

The kid sitting next to me was 19, his third show, Slipknot fan for 2 years now...and he bought Reign in Blood between sets (with his phone). I did my part!

And SCORE, thanks for the heads-up on the new Rush!
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1176 on: August 03, 2012, 12:57:24 PM

Slayer just slaughtered the place, but I was a bit disappointed that the Slipnuts crowd wasn't really into it. I'd say it was about 1/3 of the crowd digging things.

Goddamn kids have no fucking taste.

If you're a Rush fan, their new album Clockwork Angels is on sale for .99 cents today on Amazon (only the MP3 download - the CD is $12).
Oooh, thanks! I was watching Time Machine 2011 recently (which is awesome) and went out and bought most of their earlier remastered albums awesome, for real (very cheap too for the CDs on Amazon).

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1177 on: August 03, 2012, 01:27:01 PM

I had also recently stocked up on cheap early Rush CDs (and VH CDs) after we went to the Time Machine show. I still want a Rash shirt.

edit: I guess a year ago isn't recently w/e
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1178 on: August 03, 2012, 01:29:25 PM

A Rash shirt?   awesome, for real
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1179 on: August 03, 2012, 02:14:29 PM

Ged was wearing this for the Time Machine tour, the vid they played chronicled the fake band Rash.

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #1180 on: August 06, 2012, 12:39:58 PM

I'll say it again huge Rush fan here.  My 20th concert is coming up next month.  :D  Really dig Clockwork Angels better than Snakes and Arrows for sure.

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #1181 on: August 06, 2012, 12:45:57 PM

So I like rap, but I'm very picky about it.  Most of the stuff I like is stuff like Dr. Dre, Ice Cube, Ice T, NWA, Public Enemy, and Eminem.  I think most of the new rap is pretty shitty but I ran across this guy on Youtube the other day and thought I'd share.  He's being called "the black Eminem".

Ill Mind of Hopsin 5
Sag My Pants
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #1182 on: August 06, 2012, 01:36:05 PM

I like it.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #1183 on: August 06, 2012, 01:46:32 PM

I like that guy, not sure about "the black Eminem", his pace is different.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #1184 on: August 06, 2012, 02:17:32 PM

I like that guy, not sure about "the black Eminem", his pace is different.

I think the comparisons are from Eminem's older stuff and the parts where he stops the music and does his rap through.

I think he's good enough to stand on his own without having any tags like that thrown on him though.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1185 on: August 06, 2012, 08:28:24 PM

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #1186 on: August 07, 2012, 08:06:39 AM

I'm sorry. I feel dirty, but this brought a smile to my face.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bZkp7q19f0

LMAO, elevator.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 08:08:16 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #1187 on: August 07, 2012, 09:42:19 PM

Note: yes I realize Marley is dead, that was meant as sarcasm.. onwards

I saw Iron Maiden on saturday, and whooooboy can they still deliver the goods DRILLING AND MANLINESS Heart   Love Letters  

They sounded amazing, just amazing, Bruce still can sing like, well... like Bruce Dickenson.   Great setlist, great crowd, haven't been to a big venue show like that in ages, and I am really really glad I went.  The stage show was great, if you think too hard it is hard to not feel that it is a bit silly/cheesy, but if you can just channel your inner teenager it is all good.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 09:44:28 PM by Fraeg »

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1188 on: August 08, 2012, 06:33:21 AM

Yeah, Maiden is still completely on point. Seeing Anthrax and Slayer in the same month really made my inner teen happy.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #1189 on: August 08, 2012, 11:58:45 AM

Trioscapes - "Blast Off" - It's not what you think, yet has the same influences and structure.

Enjoy.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 08:58:17 PM by Mrbloodworth »

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 74 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Music thread  
Jump to: