Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:06:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Music thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 74 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Music thread  (Read 815414 times)
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1050 on: April 06, 2012, 06:30:35 AM

So fucking tempted to get a ticket to the Mayhem show at SPAC. I've seen Anthrax before but Slayer and Slipknot are still on my list.

Downside is I'd have to go alone because none of my friends listen to metal anymore.
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #1051 on: April 06, 2012, 05:12:58 PM

Downside is I'd have to go alone because none of my friends listen to metal anymore.
Seriously, no one I know wants to go to shows anymore.  And part of me is getting too old and crotchety to stay up until midnight on a Wednesday to see a band when I have to get up for work at 5AM the next day.
snowwy
Terracotta Army

Reply #1052 on: April 06, 2012, 06:25:37 PM

A bit of norwegian music, Kvelertak. Translated it means stranglehold. Saw them live a few weeks back, and they were glorious. They apparently sell out their shows whereever they go in Europe, and has done some 200 gigs last year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7sIqyoRFiU&feature=related
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1053 on: April 06, 2012, 07:25:40 PM

Seriously, no one I know wants to go to shows anymore.  And part of me is getting too old and crotchety to stay up until midnight on a Wednesday to see a band when I have to get up for work at 5AM the next day.
Luckily for me, I can usually get a day off to go see a show, since they're almost never closer than two hours away from here. Central NY has almost completely dropped off the concert radar unless it's nostalgia acts or pop country. Also luckily, the old lady likes most of the shows I want to see...but I wouldn't put her through a day-long metal show. We were watching the Knebworth 2011 stuff and she actually kinda dug Slayer, which is just bizarre. It helped to have me explain the context, to me Slayer is to heavy metal as Sabbath is to metal, just that 'woah wtf' moment after listening to Priest thinking it was heavy.

It would be a hella long day, but at this point I'm keeping an eye on seating, if something decent pops up I might still grab a ticket.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1054 on: April 06, 2012, 08:03:49 PM

I just finished watching that Knebworth show on VH1. I wonder why Scott Ian wasn't with Anthrax. They still kicked ass and Slayer is just godly.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1055 on: April 06, 2012, 09:08:19 PM

Gary Holt from Exodus was with Slayer, I think both guys were out injured/ill.

Fuck it, bought a ticket. 20 rows back from the pit at SPAC, but it's an aisle seat. Just over $80, I'll take the further seat vs $200 for a random ticket in the first 15 rows behind the pit (you don't see the seat til day of show)  swamp poop Toyed with getting the first row of the balcony, but iirc SPAC has boxes in front of those rows so it's not a true front of balcony awesomeness.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 09:25:35 PM by Sky »
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #1056 on: April 08, 2012, 10:43:41 AM

Rufus Waimwright - Back in the Game with Helena Bonham Carter

Never heard of him before. I think HBC is super sexy in this.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #1057 on: April 08, 2012, 08:18:39 PM

Rufus Waimwright - Back in the Game with Helena Bonham Carter

Never heard of him before. I think HBC is super sexy in this.

You've heard him before. I believe he did the Hallejula cover for Shrek. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kB67HO8tkQs

K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #1058 on: April 11, 2012, 07:30:40 AM

ThePETEBOX - Panther Dance

I saw this guy do a live set back in October and he's got a phenomenal talent, doing some interesting things with beatboxing. He's got his debut album coming out, and all the tracks are up on YouTube, I think this is probably the best.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1059 on: April 11, 2012, 08:23:36 AM

At least it's not repetitive.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #1060 on: April 11, 2012, 10:56:25 AM

ThePETEBOX - Panther Dance

I saw this guy do a live set back in October and he's got a phenomenal talent, doing some interesting things with beatboxing. He's got his debut album coming out, and all the tracks are up on YouTube, I think this is probably the best.

If you like this stuff Beardyman is pretty much in the same vein and also pretty entertaining stuff.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #1061 on: April 12, 2012, 05:49:35 PM

I'm currently torturing myself listening to the scant few preview tracks from the forthcoming FEZ soundtrack by Disasterpeace.

I love me some chiptune, but Disasterpeace has broken through the barrier into some fucking rainbow gilded fantasyland where Boards of Canada decided to make SNES game music in an alternate universe.
Just listen to 'Home' and tell me that isn't the most heartwrenching, nostalgia inducing headswim minute and a half of music you've ever heard.

If you party with the Party Prince you get two complimentary after-dinner mints
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1062 on: April 13, 2012, 08:56:31 AM

I'm currently torturing myself
So you had to torture us, too?
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #1063 on: April 13, 2012, 09:20:38 AM

I'm currently torturing myself
So you had to torture us, too?

To each their own...

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1064 on: April 17, 2012, 07:40:14 AM

Saw Springsteen in Albany last night. Good show, though I don't know a ton of his music. The fiancee was a bit let down because she's been listening to a Springsteen playlist on her google music for weeks...and he didn't play a single song she had on there. Very new album-heavy.

The main reason she was in an off mood was the band going on over an hour late. Then when we got out, there was an accident in the parking garage. We got stuck parking on the top level and the accident was on the next level down. Another hour sitting in the truck, luckily we were a bit late leaving so we just sat in our spot rather than being stuck in the line of drunk drivers on the ramp.

Hell of a drive home with the wind pushing the FJ all over, two hours of white knuckle driving. The big rigs were all over the road, scary stuff.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1065 on: April 17, 2012, 09:06:08 AM

The new Destroyer album, Kaputt, is really badass.  There's a ton of great new stuff coming out lately.  Another favorite is Bear in Heaven, both I Love You, It's Cool and Beast Rest Forth Mouth.  

Destroyer-  Suicide Demo for Kara Walker

Bear In Heaven-  You Do You

Bear in Heaven-  Lovesick Teenagers

Also, I have been listening a lot to Talk Talk's Spirit of Eden and Laughing Stock, both of which are really spectacular albums.  These are much different than their "It's My Life" type songs, and are really great albums.  I highly recommend them. 
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 09:15:15 AM by ghost »
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #1066 on: April 17, 2012, 11:55:27 AM

Also, I have been listening a lot to Talk Talk's Spirit of Eden and Laughing Stock, both of which are really spectacular albums.  These are much different than their "It's My Life" type songs, and are really great albums.  I highly recommend them. 

Don't forget The Colour of Spring!

That three album span is one of the greatest musical runs from the 80s and in fact from any band; entirely reinventing themselves into something so much bigger than their constituent parts, unafraid of alienating the fans of their pop period. Also, arguably, the fathers of Post-Rock. That space.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1067 on: April 17, 2012, 12:05:58 PM

They invented Radiohead.   why so serious?

And the internet.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1068 on: April 18, 2012, 08:20:53 AM

Looks like Levon Helm is hanging on by a thread.  Apparently he has end-stage cancer and I suspect that he won't be long for the world.  

I love, love, love The Band, and when Levon is gone the world is losing one of the true greats.

For your listening pleasure, one of the greatest live sequences ever recorded:

King Harvest

The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down

The Weight
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 08:28:38 AM by ghost »
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1069 on: April 18, 2012, 08:22:54 PM

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/exclusive-stream-rush-return-with-heavy-headlong-flight-20120418

Ged is such a monster. Wish Alex had another 4 minutes of soloing. Pretty badass track, though.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1070 on: April 19, 2012, 08:24:35 AM

OH HELL YEAH.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Pezzle
Terracotta Army

Reply #1071 on: April 20, 2012, 10:45:47 AM

Going to see Johnny Winter tomorrow night!  Not a huge place.  Should be a great time.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1072 on: April 20, 2012, 11:10:36 AM

We saw him last year or the year before.

Only show I've ever walked out of. Band was very bland, it was way too loud for the venue and frankly his playing was atrocious. Hopefully for you it was just a bad night.

The mayo band was really highlighted by the fact that James Cotton was the opened and blew the roof of the place. Then these white dudes come on and play the whitest blues I've ever heard cranked to 15. I don't mind a loud show, but it was distorting and awful. There was a line for the elevator and the steward said he had never seen so many people leave so early.
Pezzle
Terracotta Army

Reply #1073 on: April 22, 2012, 12:15:15 PM

The Winter show was a success.  Opening act was strange but brief.  According to others Winter was stronger than the last two years.  That showed in his ability to stand for several songs, even if hunched.  He started strong, faded just a bit but came back and finished powerfully.  The mic sound was not quite right through most of it.  During a few songs he seemed to overcome it (and it is not like you are there for the vocals anyway).  The band was together.  Overall it was well worth the trip and the tickets were cheap!  The place was packed.  Capacity was around 400 I think.  Glad I got the chance to see him!
Ozzu
Terracotta Army

Reply #1074 on: April 24, 2012, 12:10:06 PM

Storm Corrosion released their first song/video today (finally):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=manW5v-AR7U

Awesome video. Great song.
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #1075 on: April 27, 2012, 11:41:29 AM

I ran into Mayday! on Spotify, this song and the whole album is so good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F53GjEFmj9A
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 11:46:50 AM by jakonovski »
Mazakiel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1076 on: May 02, 2012, 10:34:18 AM

Brendon Small, the man behind Metalocalypse, has released a side-project album, Galaktikon. The sound is a bit different from the songs he has done for the show. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bpd3j3ZMRks
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1077 on: May 03, 2012, 09:27:37 PM

Just got decent seats for the Allmans co-bill with Santana, 16th behind the pit. For SPAC, that's about as good as it gets without membership or promo tickets.

Always excited for the Allmans, their live show is as on point as it's ever been...or better. Santana...we're just hoping for more Soul Sacrifice and less Smooth...but not optimistic.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #1078 on: May 04, 2012, 08:36:42 AM

If any of you are ska fans, I thought you might like to know that Lloyd Brevett passed

I thought I'd add it here as it's obscure enough not to need a thread of its own.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #1079 on: May 04, 2012, 10:40:07 AM

beer geek.
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #1080 on: May 04, 2012, 12:04:27 PM

Just came here to lament, myself. A sizable chunk of my life has faded out.

Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #1081 on: May 05, 2012, 11:22:00 AM

This surprised me:  a tribute to MCA shot yesterday that was, well see for yourself

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVr4UP9ntLs

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #1082 on: May 05, 2012, 11:48:37 AM

This surprised me:  a tribute to MCA shot yesterday that was, well see for yourself

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVr4UP9ntLs

Anticipatory 'Fuck the Haters'; that was incredibly touching.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1083 on: May 05, 2012, 01:15:26 PM

Hard not to like that.
snowwy
Terracotta Army

Reply #1084 on: May 05, 2012, 04:53:48 PM

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 74 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Music thread  
Jump to: