Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:58:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Music thread 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 74 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Music thread  (Read 815691 times)
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1015 on: February 27, 2012, 01:10:21 PM

Been listening to Pandora today, this morning I was on a Florence kick. Then after lunch I put in some Mars Volta and out of curiosity clicked on related artists and saw someone I'd been meaning to pick up...Gogol Bordello. We'd seen their set on some festival on tv that was just amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXPJSjMrXBI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcXniDssgUI
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #1016 on: February 27, 2012, 01:11:12 PM

Gogol Bordello is fantastic, I had meant to put some stuff up in here at some point.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Crumbs
Terracotta Army

Reply #1017 on: February 27, 2012, 02:32:36 PM

Most people just own the Smiths Best I.  If you're a "real fan" you might own the Smith's Best II.  Only creepy weirdo fanboys, those with a picture of Steven Patrick Morrissey tattooed on their ass, own the actual albums.   awesome, for real

I got pretty much the catalog on vinyl, including the singles  DRILLING AND MANLINESS  And a test press of Suedehead. 

I'm definitely in the Queen is Dead best album camp.

TQID is definitely awesome, don't get me wrong.  I listened to it about 10x more times than LOUDER.  In high school, "Never Had No One Ever" really hit the wallowing spot!
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1018 on: February 27, 2012, 02:45:17 PM

Okay.  Where is your SPM tatoo?   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #1019 on: February 27, 2012, 03:13:18 PM

If we go off of # of times listened, it might actually be Rank for me.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1020 on: February 29, 2012, 06:54:35 AM

11th row for the Maiden concert.

My poor fiancee.
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #1021 on: February 29, 2012, 07:33:51 AM

Most people just own the Smiths Best I.  If you're a "real fan" you might own the Smith's Best II.  Only creepy weirdo fanboys, those with a picture of Steven Patrick Morrissey tattooed on their ass, own the actual albums.   awesome, for real

You forgot the old folks category for those of us who bought a few of their albums before any of the best of albums existed...
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #1022 on: March 02, 2012, 06:52:51 AM

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #1023 on: March 02, 2012, 12:22:26 PM

Gojira - Of Blood And Salt [HD][/url]

Featuring Devin Townsend and Fredrik Thordendal (Meshuggah).

Also, Gogol Bordello is fantastic.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #1024 on: March 03, 2012, 01:45:29 PM

My poor fiancee.

Picked up 5th row ticks for their date here in SLC (they will have a GA pit so not right up against the stage unfortunately but I'll take it).

This will be the 25th anniversary of the first time I saw them.  Both I and the band are ooooooooooooooooold.

I'm dragging my wife to the show.  Rock on!

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1025 on: March 03, 2012, 08:51:08 PM

I really wish I had caught the tour based on Powerslave, Seventh Son was just at the point where the band stopped listening to its major influences, so I kinda know the stuff but it's not in my DNA like every album up to that.

Darien Lake has a small GA pit, too. So technically we're 5th row behind the pit.

Only time I saw them was 91 or 92, No Prayer for the Dying with the meh Bring Your Daughter to the Slaughter on krock at the time, we were in Long Beach and saw them at the Irvine Ampitheater. So I've never seen Adrian live.

Fiancee is being dragged and trying desperately to get out of it.
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #1026 on: March 03, 2012, 09:18:39 PM

So I've never seen Adrian live.
The 3 guitarist lineup they have now is so damn killer to listen to live.  It's a show you won't forget.
trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #1027 on: March 03, 2012, 09:48:10 PM

My poor fiancee.

Picked up 5th row ticks for their date here in SLC (they will have a GA pit so not right up against the stage unfortunately but I'll take it).

This will be the 25th anniversary of the first time I saw them.  Both I and the band are ooooooooooooooooold.

I'm dragging my wife to the show.  Rock on!

I will be there as well!  I think I'm getting the cheapest tickets possible, so who knows how shitty that will be, but it's an expensive show for poor college students.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 03:25:33 AM by trias_e »
snowwy
Terracotta Army

Reply #1028 on: March 03, 2012, 09:57:45 PM

You know you need to stop go seeing a band when your tickets are row-based.
Or is that how they do concerts state-side? If yes, i'd just not go at all.
Sounds like some retirement-home arranged shit....and i'm 40+

on topic, my favs this month http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4vMvJcP4TA&ob=av2n
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #1029 on: March 04, 2012, 08:51:13 AM

You know you need to stop go seeing a band when your tickets are row-based.
Or is that how they do concerts state-side? If yes, i'd just not go at all.

on topic, my favs this month http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4vMvJcP4TA&ob=av2n

Depends on the venue and most venues are like that around here.  No one actually sits down though.

In my city (where this concert isn't), general admission for concerts is actually illegal for venues over 2000 people since four kids died at an AC/DC concert 20 years ago. The venue can apply for a waiver though under certain circumstances. I know this intimately as I'm the one that has to do all the paperwork to grant them the waiver.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #1030 on: March 04, 2012, 08:53:48 AM

I will be there as well!  I think I'm getting the cheapest tickets possible, so who knows how shitty that will be, but it's an expensive show for poor college students.

I've actually never been to a concert at USANA, so don't know what the lawn area or top section of seats is like.

If my wife bails you can have my other ticket.

-H.L. Mencken
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #1031 on: March 04, 2012, 09:34:49 AM

Fuck you bitches, Strangeways, Here We Come.

Then again, I saw them live twice, so hey.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #1032 on: March 04, 2012, 10:36:24 AM

One of my favorite Henry Rollins lines, talking about going to England:

"It was just gray and raining all the time. You can see why Morrissey happens."

-H.L. Mencken
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1033 on: March 04, 2012, 12:08:04 PM

Isn't that nice.
fengzi597

Email
Reply #1034 on: March 04, 2012, 07:35:50 PM

well. I like some classic movie's theme songs
Falling Slowly in Once.
I Don't  want  to  say goodbay in Brokeback Mountain.
a gift of a thistle in Brave Heart.
etc...
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #1035 on: March 04, 2012, 09:08:36 PM

Fuck you bitches, Strangeways, Here We Come.

Then again, I saw them live twice, so hey.

I think it treads a little too close to self-parody for my tastes at times. Still a very good album, but not their best.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1036 on: March 08, 2012, 07:29:36 AM

March is metal month over at amazon. Deals on downloads and CDs.

I grabbed the pre-order for the new Mars Volta, Gogol Bordello's Gypsy Punks and Anthrax Spreading the Disease. I have to go home and peruse the shelves to see what other classics I have in CD form; most of my metal years were vinyl. The old Anthrax in particular is nice, $5 a CD (except Metal Thrashing Mad OFC). Bummed the new Opeth isn't on sale, really want to pick that one up.

Listening to a few new things, and don't want to be a broken record about it, but something like Abigail Williams is so awesome until the throat opens his yap. Becoming is almost a perfect album, just needs a singer. Another I'd grab in an instant would be Lamb of God. So awesome except for that critical component. Ah, well.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #1037 on: March 08, 2012, 01:28:09 PM

Why would Gogol Bordello go on sale for metal month?  Head scratch

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1038 on: March 08, 2012, 01:40:14 PM

Might be unrelated. Rush's old CDs are all $5-7, too.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1039 on: March 10, 2012, 06:58:45 AM

Shaping up to be a good summer: Bruce Springsteen, Bonnie Raitt, Primus, Iron Maiden.

Just got 1st row balcony seats, just left of center, for Primus. Yay new Ticketbastard seat chart picker tool! Have to wonder if there was a venue-specific sale, didn't see a fan club pre-sale and there were no pit seats, the first 10 rows and the first 25 or so rows of the center were unavailable. Luckily, front row center balcony is our favorite place to sit (fiancee is a stubby shortling).
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #1040 on: March 12, 2012, 01:01:22 AM

Try to get your hands on a venue poster, the ones they've been doing for this tour are fantastic.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1041 on: March 12, 2012, 06:12:30 AM

We saw them at the Palace in Albany last year, couldn't snag one there. And sitting in the balcony is cramping my run of guitar picks. I didn't get anything last year. Maybe I got one of Scotty's (BBVD), but those are easy because they sign at the merch table. I won't get one from any of the shows I just mentioned :( Getting shafted for local show seating. For like two years there I was sitting at the front row for everything, the worst we had was 3rd row for DTB.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #1042 on: March 14, 2012, 05:53:45 PM

iTunes is streaming the new Shins album entirely until release on March 20, 2012.  It's really good, if you like The Shins.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1043 on: March 14, 2012, 07:19:38 PM

The Shins are real hit or miss for me.  Some songs I really love, but a lot of stuff is bland.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1044 on: March 22, 2014, 10:25:16 AM

Finally got in an album I've been trying to track down for years (without paying a bundle for it, anyway): All Too Human by The Flies. Had to buy it off a guy in the UK.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdfBA1dpcFE
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1045 on: March 22, 2014, 10:28:42 AM

That's a pretty hot video, without being too racy.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1046 on: March 22, 2014, 11:53:49 AM

Where I originally heard it.

NOT SAFE FOR WORK.

Not even close.

http://suicidegirls.com/girls/Sash/videos/8413/How-To-Cure-a-Hangover/
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #1047 on: March 28, 2012, 06:31:56 AM

Not sure if this has been posted because I don't keep up with this thread, but I figured it really deserves to be posted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7o87WewTg8
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #1048 on: March 28, 2012, 09:46:46 PM

The Shins are real hit or miss for me.  Some songs I really love, but a lot of stuff is bland.

Saw the Shins with the Decemberists opening for the some years ago at UC Davis.  Seperate the art from the artist and all... but the Shins frontman was one of the biggest Douches I have ever seen onstage, bitching, whining, moaning, including complaining about the crowd.  We walked out after a few songs and I have avoided there stuff ever since.  Maybe it was just a really bad night for the guy, but he made Phil from Pantera in all his Heroin glory seem like a likeable chap.

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #1049 on: March 28, 2012, 10:00:10 PM

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 74 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Music thread  
Jump to: