Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:17:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Music thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 74 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Music thread  (Read 815693 times)
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #875 on: December 01, 2011, 10:32:09 AM

TBH, Classical music is so vast that its hard to really do a 'greatest hits'. I mean, you can't go wrong with some basics, such as the Vivaldi's Four Seasons, Beethoven's 5th & 9th, Mozart's requiem, Bach's Brandenberg concertos, and some other things people consider famous, but its all tip of the iceberg.

If you really want to get into it with a sense of the historic evolution of music, its possible that your local college has some courses guided by a music teacher who's sole goal in life is making people appreciate it all. That's probably the best route, if you have time for it.

There's a temptation to go onto Amazon and grabbing a 'classical hits' CD, but honestly, it all would feel a bit disjointed without context. Don't get me wrong, it can't possibly hurt, but just taking a cursory glance, half of them start with relatively modern stuff, then jump over to renaissance, then back to Beethoven, then back again over to Barber's adagio and then blam Carmina Burana, which while all well and good, is the learning equivalent of a fun house mirror room.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 10:43:04 AM by Engels »

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #876 on: December 01, 2011, 11:15:19 AM

What sort of group is it? Chamber music covers an awful lot of configurations.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #877 on: December 01, 2011, 11:37:28 AM

They are a group that doesn't have a set of regular musicians.  The lady that is in charge of it just brings in whoever they need to fit the pieces they are trying to do.  They had a concert a few months ago with a harp, for instance, so it certainly isn't a traditional chamber music group by any stretch.

I found this list of top 50 classical CDs on NPR that seems to fit the bill pretty nicely.  I picked up a few recommendations off of the list and Beethoven's String Quartets Grosse Fuge as well.   If there's anything that you see that is blatantly missing from the list, fire away.

Again, thanks for the suggestions.  I'm not looking to get cultured in a day, but it is going to be nice to have some of the more well known pieces in my collection so that I can at least have a basis for conversation. 
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #878 on: December 01, 2011, 11:39:03 AM

trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #879 on: December 01, 2011, 11:39:47 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classical_music  This is a pretty good guide.

In general, the prime requisite for listening to classical is paying attention to the music for extended periods of time (not something we are used to from pop music).  Melodies and harmonies develop like characters in good writing.  While many melodies are famous to just about everyone through modern media, they are like an opening paragraph to a novel.  

Baroque Period:

Vivaldi  (best known for his '4 seasons'):  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUf5v0VySw0
Handel  (water music, some famous melodies in here):  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jwa_AeIPWrI&feature=related    
Bach  (Fugues.  Fugues are kind of like hyper complicated rounds.  Like row row your boat, except with all sorts of trickery).  Epic badassery:   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipzR9bhei_o  
Bach also makes the best music to study or get work done to, in my opinion.  Bach fuses the qualitative and quantitative, making awesome art while adhering to strict harmonic rules, almost like an elegant math equation:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZ9qWpa2rIg

Classical Period:

Haydn
Mozart

Beethoven bridges Classical and Romantic periods.

Romantic Period:

Schubert
Wagner
Chopin
Brahms
Dvorak
Grieg

Don't have time to flesh this out right now.  But if you listen to all of these guys you will have a pretty good idea of the trajectory of classical music, and you should be able to tell apart your Mozart from your Brahms.  Knowing about specific pieces just takes a buttload of listening, but if you have a good grasp on the styles of these three periods you will be in good shape to learn more.  You can just youtube these composers and the first hits the come up will be their most famous works if that's what you want to get to know.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #880 on: December 01, 2011, 11:42:36 AM

Thank you so much, trias.  (and everyone else too)
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #881 on: December 01, 2011, 12:35:54 PM

I tend toward the heavier stuff, but the Brandenbergs are my work music, when I need to think the hardest about something. I'm a massive fan of Bach, to me he was the pinnacle of human achievement in music.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #882 on: December 01, 2011, 01:30:07 PM

Any specific Brandenburg?
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #883 on: December 01, 2011, 02:07:07 PM

I think I have 1-8 or something. I just start it playing and listen through, couldn't tell you which is which.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #884 on: December 02, 2011, 04:06:29 AM

Well yeah, I'm sure that there will be a collection of them on the album.  I just needed to know what to buy.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #885 on: December 02, 2011, 11:42:56 AM

There are only 6 of them! Just get a collection of all of them, IMO.

This is a rather good one and available in MP3: http://www.amazon.com/Bach-Brandenburg-Concertos-Johann-Sebastian/dp/B00000J2PP

Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #886 on: December 02, 2011, 02:45:40 PM

I can't wait to hear back from Ghost when some snot at a dinner party starts going on about how the '65 Deutsche Grammophone recording of the little known toccata in F# for stringed bassoon was far better than the Columbia Mehta ' 89 version or somesuch, even tho its in mono and barely audible. That's when the true fun starts!  swamp poop

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #887 on: December 02, 2011, 04:33:51 PM

I can't wait to hear back from Ghost when some snot at a dinner party starts going on about how the '65 Deutsche Grammophone recording of the little known toccata in F# for stringed bassoon was far better than the Columbia Mehta ' 89 version or somesuch, even tho its in mono and barely audible. That's when the true fun starts!  swamp poop

Yeah, that's when I'll excuse myself to the bar.   ACK!
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #888 on: December 02, 2011, 06:22:55 PM

I can't wait to hear back from Ghost when some snot at a dinner party starts going on about how the '65 Deutsche Grammophone recording of the little known toccata in F# for stringed bassoon was far better than the Columbia Mehta ' 89 version or somesuch, even tho its in mono and barely audible. That's when the true fun starts!  swamp poop
Or when they compare their Hi-Fi systems with their $18000 tube amps, $3000 belt drive turntables (with $1500 cartridge/stylii), and $10,000 speakers that weigh 200 lbs a piece because they have concrete ballasts in them which they use to listen to ONLY classical music.

(I actually knew an opera singer in college who had a system that cost about that much, he was a cool guy but he was just a bit particular about his sound reproduction equipment. Pretty sure after he got his phD he took a job in Atlanta as the south-east regional sales manager for Paradigm audio.)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 06:24:55 PM by Chimpy »

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #889 on: December 03, 2011, 06:22:06 AM

There's a reason I love playing classical guitar but I won't go to school for it. Those cats can get...particular is a good word.

Though I can sit in with the best of them and critique Segovia vs Parkening playing Capricho Arabe, or even the variances within Segovia's own live and recorded versions. Since Segovia was Tarrega's student, he would be the natural choice for the most authoritative recorded version, since unfortunately Tarrega was not around for recorded music, but there are several passages where he seems to go against the spirit the maestro intended for the peace (waterfalls and sunshine).

Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #890 on: December 03, 2011, 08:05:30 AM

There's a reason I love playing classical guitar but I won't go to school for it. Those cats can get...particular is a good word.
I'm amazed I'm even able to appreciate music at all after all the so-called "teachers" I've had most of my life and their very cranky and spirited views of particular pieces of music...
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #891 on: December 03, 2011, 09:31:31 AM

I was in studio engineering school at the 11th hour of the hair metal sound, super clean production with lots of verb and sparkle. I was always in the doghouse because my instructors said my mixes sounded like they were recorded on a boom box. Which was exactly what I was going for! Well, real hot live mix, anyway.

Then I dropped out and grunge hit a couple months later. I would've been in demand if I had quit the band and stayed in school. Funny turns of life.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #892 on: December 03, 2011, 01:09:09 PM

It is interesting how the 90s Seattle sound changed so many lives.  I was about 15 and listening to Metaliica, Slayer and Megadeth along with cheese hair.  I heard Alice in Chains and never looked back.  My musical taste changed in one single listen of Facelift.  All uphill from there. 

A few weeks ago my buddy took me out to see a coworker's band play.  We talked with his coworker who has lived here in Seattle since 90.  He was in a dark metal band in LA in the late 80s and moved up to Seattle because the music scene was more open to anything not cheese hair.  Of course, shortly after moving here the Seattle groups exploded, so he went from playing weekly shows at clubs with 20 other bands to being on a waiting list of hundreds for a show.  Faced with moving back to LA in a dying music scene or staying in Seattle in which he couldn't land a show, he stayed and became a computer programmer.  And played music on the side.  How odd.
trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #893 on: December 03, 2011, 02:37:15 PM

Pretty funny.  I went the opposite direction, starting with Soundgarden/Nirvana when I was 13/14 and then going to metal by the end of high school.  80's Slayer and Metallica is flat out awesome music, regardless of scenes, dress codes, or hair situation.  I also consider my musical tastes to have gone uphill :P
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #894 on: December 03, 2011, 03:34:38 PM

I'm still pretty good with Slayer, but I have a hard time listening to Metallica anymore after the crap they did after Justice.  I wish they would have just quit.  Early Megadeth is still palatable, but they should have thrown in the towel a long time ago, too. 

What I can't stand anymore is the hair metal. 
trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #895 on: December 03, 2011, 03:41:38 PM

Yeah, hair metal is terrible.  And I just pretend that the big 3 stopped writing music after 1988.  90's Slayer is just as bad as 90's Metallica.  Just fucking bleh.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #896 on: December 03, 2011, 04:05:13 PM

Decade of Aggression is pretty badass.

Mike Ness is getting old, but he's still pretty badass.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 05:40:04 PM by ghost »
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #897 on: December 03, 2011, 07:52:53 PM

Social D is still a good show.  My favorite recent one was the one where they played all of Mommy's Little Monster from start to finish.  Pretty awesome time.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #898 on: December 04, 2011, 06:35:46 AM

They could have sold out a long time ago and gotten all "Green Day" with their music, but they've stayed true to what they do.  They're still one of my favorites.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #899 on: December 05, 2011, 10:54:39 AM

I was a huge metal/thrash metal guy in high school and really got into the grunge/punk/alternative stuff in college which was right about when Nirvana, Pearl Jam and Soundgarden hit it big. I find it funny that both Soundgarden and Alice in Chains got pegged alternative when Nirvana got big, but only 2 or 3 years earlier MTV was playing them on Headbanger's Ball as metal acts. Thanks to Spotify and That Metal Show, I've gotten back into the '80's metal and discovered a lot of acts I missed, as well re-discovering some acts like Anthrax who went a different direction after metal lost mainstream favor.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #900 on: December 06, 2011, 06:30:57 AM

I remember Anthrax as being fairly decent, but it's been forever since I heard any of their stuff.  Another fun one from back then was Suicidal Tendencies. 
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #901 on: December 06, 2011, 06:34:07 AM

« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 06:54:15 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #902 on: December 06, 2011, 08:26:49 AM

Holy crap, a BW where I've owned most of the tunes!

The CoC album with Albatross and that first Down album are so damned good, big Pepper fan. Punk It Up was FUCKING MASSIVE in LA in 91, it was pretty much THE tune of that year.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #903 on: December 06, 2011, 08:33:50 AM

Love the CoC stuff. It just occurred to me how much they sound like Soundgarden. I know that CoC predates Soundgarden by a bit, but I think that they got this singer later on. Not sure tho.

Ozzu
Terracotta Army

Reply #904 on: December 06, 2011, 12:10:08 PM

Minvaren
Terracotta Army

Reply #905 on: December 06, 2011, 02:36:56 PM

Found via RB3 DLC : Amberian Dawn - River of Tuoni.

"There are many things of which a wise man might wish to remain ignorant." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #906 on: December 06, 2011, 07:01:00 PM

Thank you Rock Band! They're pretty good, the singer is phenomenal. The drums are a real weak point imo, so fucking straight beat. I can see that it's technically good, but I'm way more into groove drummers like Brann (who I've probably linked enough for now, heh) or Thomas Pridgen previously with Mars Volta (Wax Simulacra) now with The Memorials.
trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #907 on: December 07, 2011, 02:27:14 AM

Old CoC:  (fuck yeah):  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11w8plrakaU

almost as good as old DRI:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPt-s5w9W3Q

My current guilty pleasure:  Forefather - Steadfast:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiwF23IXGoI&feature=related
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #908 on: December 07, 2011, 08:50:06 AM

I found them on a Thrasher compilation back when I was a skater, back before it was trendy. And we could actually land tricks, and our skate parks were built by us, not by the municipality.  Get off my lawn!

There were a couple kids skating in the parking lot of the library. I told them that they could stay if they could all do an ollie. None of them could. An ollie, ffs. Posers.

Anyway: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=perQ37MwG4k
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #909 on: December 09, 2011, 02:55:22 PM

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 74 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Music thread  
Jump to: