Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:18:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Music thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 74 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Music thread  (Read 815397 times)
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #840 on: November 04, 2011, 09:19:42 AM

I have no words for how sad I am about this. He was one of the best Flattus Maximus in my book, hell of a guitar player.

RIP.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 09:27:38 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #841 on: November 06, 2011, 11:18:30 AM

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #842 on: November 11, 2011, 08:54:51 AM

Going through a mild The Sword phase right now.  Strongly considering seeing them in Seattle on the 22nd. 
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #843 on: November 11, 2011, 09:06:34 AM

I'm really enjoying Glitch Mob right now. Bummed they only have 1 album + EP out right now! Glitch Mob led me to Bassnectar but nowhere near as good.

- Viin
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #844 on: November 12, 2011, 07:33:21 PM

Going through a mild The Sword phase right now.  Strongly considering seeing them in Seattle on the 22nd. 
I'd go see the sword in a second if they ever toured into the backwaters.

Just got back from seeing Tony Bennett. That man is the real deal. After a night of belting songs, he put the mic down and sang to the theater with just lung power, Fly Me to the Moon. Amazing.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #845 on: November 18, 2011, 09:16:19 AM

Chris Cornell is amazing. Sold out show, played for about TWO AND A HALF HOURS. Fiancee wasn't sure going in, but she liked TotD and Soundgarden ok. She was completely blown away. Hell, I knew what I was going to hear and it's just awesome to hear in person. Fifth row seats, not that there is a bad seat at the Egg. Played so many damned songs.

Go see this Songbook tour if you have a chance. If it doesn't give you chills, check your pulse.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #846 on: November 22, 2011, 07:00:58 AM

awesome, for real

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #847 on: November 22, 2011, 07:13:58 AM

Hey, I followed up with some posts since then.   Ohhhhh, I see.

I just figured out that Bloodworth (the main contributor) has the musical tastes of a 13 year old emo.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #848 on: November 22, 2011, 07:18:23 AM

Just got an email from ticketmaster - free copy of Cornell's new album because we went to the show.

There was some odd thing where they weren't letting in ticketmaster customers right away, and confusion because they didn't have the scanners for the ticketmaster tickets, etc. I wonder if it's related to that.

Either way I'm happy, just saved me $10!

Also, forgot to mention. Craig Wedren. Avoid. So awful, and given that Chris played for over two hours, I really wish he hadn't had an opener. And that's before his debut 'sing along' of "I'm a Cunt". Although it was pretty funny that not only did nobody sing along, but many got up and walked out. For fuck's sake, there was a 10yr old kid in the front row, asshole.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #849 on: November 22, 2011, 07:20:06 AM

Are you sure that wasn't Ironwood?   awesome, for real
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #850 on: November 22, 2011, 07:22:33 AM

Hey, I followed up with some posts since then.   Ohhhhh, I see.

I just figured out that Bloodworth (the main contributor) has the musical tastes of a 13 year old emo.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Not quite.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #851 on: November 22, 2011, 07:24:09 AM

Okay, 30ish emo.  I'm just ribbing you man.   why so serious?
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #852 on: November 22, 2011, 07:26:40 AM

I know :)

I found this amusing though:

Emo

Genre of softcore punk music that integrates unenthusiastic melodramatic 17 year olds who dont smile, high pitched overwrought lyrics and inaudible guitar rifts with tight wool sweaters, tighter jeans, itchy scarfs (even in the summer), ripped chucks with favorite bands signature, black square rimmed glasses, and ebony greasy unwashed hair that is required to cover at least 3/5 ths of the face at an angle.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #853 on: November 22, 2011, 07:32:12 AM

You aren't into skinny jeans?
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #854 on: November 22, 2011, 07:35:36 AM

Nope, baggy. For the record I also listen to a lot of jazz and classical ( Bela bartok  Heart ).  I just like balancing out all the Pop/Mundane artists that get posted in here.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #855 on: November 22, 2011, 08:01:14 AM

Most of the music that I listen to any more is poppy/mundane, I suppose. 
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #856 on: November 22, 2011, 08:05:33 AM

Spoke too soon - one of the songs (so far) fucked up on download and I can't re-download it through their java crap. I'd rather drop the $10 for the CD than dick around with a music ditro CS department.

Mundane?  Ohhhhh, I see.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #857 on: November 22, 2011, 08:10:32 AM

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #858 on: November 22, 2011, 08:52:07 AM

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #859 on: November 22, 2011, 11:55:40 AM

Jex Thoth.. female led doom metal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzOLCBB2v2A
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #860 on: November 22, 2011, 12:33:06 PM

To bring this to a more mundane level awesome, for real, I've been listening to a lot of M83 lately.  I love me some synthpop.  

Also the Presets Girl and the Sea
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #861 on: November 23, 2011, 05:19:12 AM

Every NME mixtape from the 1980s.

It's a pretty eclectic mix as you'd expect. Makes for some cool browsing.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #862 on: November 23, 2011, 11:03:13 PM

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #863 on: November 24, 2011, 07:53:08 AM

Some good music for thanksgiving.  Sally MacLennane!
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #864 on: November 24, 2011, 08:15:31 AM

My current amazon order, some deals and using some credit:

Live at the Summit Club
Johnnie Taylor
(good soul, good deal)

Baroque Guitar
Julian Bream
(for learning alternate transcriptions from Segovia/Parkening/Romero)

A Charlie Brown Christmas
Vince Guaraldi Trio
(my favorite xmas album)

Hot Fives & Sevens
Louis Armstrong
(probably most excited about this boxed set)

Hunter (Limited Deluxe Edition) (CD+DVD)
Mastodon
(Brann = the man)

Art of Segovia
Andres Segovia
(I mean, come on...maestro)
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #865 on: November 24, 2011, 10:50:48 AM

A Charlie Brown Christmas
Vince Guaraldi Trio
(my favorite xmas album)

There is no other Christmas album, seriously.  I own maybe 15 Christmas albums including Low's and Sufjan Steven's, and the Guaraldi is the only one that gets play.  I used to have an awesome Projekt: Darkwave christmas album from all goth artists; it was interesting. 
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #866 on: November 24, 2011, 12:53:36 PM

We also like Tony Bennett and the classic crooners, as well as some of the church stuff. But the Trio is my favorite, finally getting around to the cd version, heh.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #867 on: November 24, 2011, 06:51:17 PM

I would disagree.  That is a great album, but the John Denver Muppets album is spectacular.  It really has everything in it and captures the spirit of Christmas very well.  I rank it as a better album than the Vince Guaraldi Peanuts album. 
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #868 on: November 24, 2011, 08:11:50 PM

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #869 on: November 24, 2011, 09:12:54 PM

The original Trans-Siberian Orchestra album is the only "christmas" album I have ever listened to more than a couple times. I do have the Twisted Sister Christmas from a mix of nostalgia and laughs.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Ozzu
Terracotta Army

Reply #870 on: November 27, 2011, 12:37:09 AM

If you're a prog fan and haven't checked out the newish Haken album, you are really missing out.

Oh and on the same note, Steven Wilson's newish solo album is what you'd expect if you're a Steven Wilson fan. Greatness.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #871 on: December 01, 2011, 07:06:41 AM

Okay guys, I need some help here.  One area of music that I am seriously lacking in knowledge/appreciation of is classical music.  I have recently been appointed to the executive board of a small chamber music group associated with the San Antonio Orchestra and need to bone up on my knowledge base here.  Can anyone recommend some good pieces that should be in my collection?
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #872 on: December 01, 2011, 09:37:26 AM

That Segovia double disc set is pretty much the place to start for classical guitar. Not sure how chamber folks feel about guitar music, though...classical fans can get uptight about things.

Get the usual suspects, Bach (Brandenberg Concertos are my favorites); Beethoven (I like the 7th); Mozart, Wagner, Tchaikovsky,  etc.

Your best bet is to find out what they've been playing over the last few years and especially their current and planned repertoire, you're going to buy all of that and listen to it a lot.
trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #873 on: December 01, 2011, 09:49:24 AM

Do you need general classical or specifically chamber music?  I'll just give some chamber music examples here.  I haven't gotten into much classical written after Brahms.  But I know you can't go wrong with having some Mozart, Beethoven, Schubert, and Brahms.  You should probably know who Haydn is too.  

Some good ones:  Mozart, String Quartet No. 16 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwlmFGScUFQ
Schubert, Death and the Maiden - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoZJkkWX8Yw
Brahms, Cello Sonata No. 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BM-6B8_Jj-o

Middle period Beethoven, Op. 74 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPBvS4Pj2HM&feature=related

Late Beethoven is awesome in the purest sense of the word, but is such a demanding listen that these pieces aren't as famous.  They are his best works though, in my opinion.

Late Beethoven, Op 132. -  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SK75WCcUDkM
Late Beethoven, Grosse Fuge - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6s0Mp7LFI-k

From wikipedia:  "Beethoven originally composed the Große Fuge as the final movement of his String Quartet No. 13 (Op. 130). When the work was first performed, the audience demanded encores of only two of the middle movements of the quartet. Beethoven, enraged, was reported to have growled, "And why didn't they encore the Fugue? That alone should have been repeated! Cattle! Asses!"[6]"
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 09:56:45 AM by trias_e »
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #874 on: December 01, 2011, 10:06:50 AM

Really I just need the idiots guide to classical music.  I can figure out the chamber music part of it after that by looking at their play list, I suppose.  Thanks for the suggestions though.  That will help a lot!
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 74 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Music thread  
Jump to: