Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 11:41:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Game Design/Development  |  Topic: Interesting Powerpoint Presentation on Creating an MMO Without a Massive Budget 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Interesting Powerpoint Presentation on Creating an MMO Without a Massive Budget  (Read 2883 times)
ShenMolo
Terracotta Army

on: October 04, 2009, 12:56:04 PM

I searched around to see if this had been posted already and couldn't find it.

Scott Brown of NetDevil's Presentation at GDC 08 on Creating an MMO Without a Massive Team or Budget:

http://static.netdevil.com/cms-images/gdc2008_brown_scott_small_teams_big_dreams.ppt

Torinak
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 02:43:01 PM

I searched around to see if this had been posted already and couldn't find it.

Scott Brown of NetDevil's Presentation at GDC 08 on Creating an MMO Without a Massive Team or Budget:

http://static.netdevil.com/cms-images/gdc2008_brown_scott_small_teams_big_dreams.ppt

Some interesting bits, but some very depressing ones (because they seem like Software Development 101, but were apparently important enough to call out for their audience):

* Don't spend all your money on rent
* Client-server is harder than just-client
* Actually test your game, and have other people test your game too
* Dev/build environment is important
* Actually fix crashes
* 3rd party tools/middleware usually suck and make your project fail

And a few  swamp poop bits:
* Dev time is better spent on adding grinds than missions
* Design graphics first, then build gameplay around that

I'm not going to hold it against NetDevil that they haven't had any major successes lately (Auto Assault), because they are trying fairly different things and are probably failing much more cheaply than most other MMO companies. Plus, I'm glad to see any encouragement for companies to fix crashing bugs and have decent development and build systems.
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 11:45:55 PM

* Dev time is better spent on adding grinds than missions

Goddamnit. How about this: Ten-thousand crappy missions are better than a hundred good ones. Geez, games can be crammed full of hand-crafted content if it's thrown-together iterations of Kill Ten Rats. Know what? That's one thing that, in my opinion, is good enough. Few people are going to notice because few people read the text, and most that do read it will forget about it, those that remember will forgive it for sucking because there's a zillion other missions to go through, and those that don't forgive it for sucking will bitch on message boards then carry on with their lives.

Sure, put grinds in there, but not in place of missions.

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Game Design/Development  |  Topic: Interesting Powerpoint Presentation on Creating an MMO Without a Massive Budget  
Jump to: