Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:30:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: Buy your new instances on LoN 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Buy your new instances on LoN  (Read 14198 times)
Wahn
Terracotta Army

on: October 02, 2009, 01:49:44 AM

http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/posts/list.m?&topic_id=459903

Taken from their announcement of the new LoN expansion

"Incredible loot cards, including exclusive new quests in EverQuest® and EverQuest® II that open all new chambers and rewards of loot and XP! Plus, in EQII you can combine several key cloaks to create the game's first wearable, visible backpack! And in EQ, three new collection items will grant you the Frozen Skull of the Cursed item which gives you a unique mercenary!"

This move is... unpopular. So let's see what Brenlo has to say about it:

http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/posts/list.m?topic_id=459903&post_id=5130603#5130603

Howdy all,

Wow some folks are upset about this and were this something that would be required for people to play and advance I wouldnt blame you.  However it is not.  I know some folks do not want to play or buy LON, others do.  In fact many people enjoy it.  This is something for them.  It is not going to unbalance the game.  It is not going to create new "must have" items.  It is just going to add a small slice of content for those who are lucky enough to get the card.

Some of you want to know if the San Diego team worked on this, darn right we did.  We ain't letting those Denver guys monkey around in our game.  *wink*    It was accounted for in our scheduling and did not cause anything else to shift, move, drop or delay.  It is definately not why the expansion is in February.

I suggest you wait and see.  You may like what the team has come up with.  For some of you, the items may be items you feel you WANT, but do not HAVE to have to play the game, to advance, to be complete or the ultimate class representative.  That is the balance we tried are trying to strike.

Now I am going back to my time off.  I will check in again in a few days and see we can talk about.

He seems pretty jolly about this topic. Let's see if he stays this way in the face of Aion and the fact that 4 people from my raid alliance are already /ragequit'ing about this new direction for EQ2.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 06:07:09 AM

To me, LON is almost worse than outright microtransactions because you don't really know that you're going to get anything. You're just playing the lottery. That's one thing if its a rare small pet or piece of decorative garb, it's another if its something in game. Particularly something that is content.

I have said this elsewhere, but I really think the ill will engendered by nickel and diming people like this costs more revenue than it brings in. See also the extra charge for the "armory" like features that everyone else gives away for free. If you want a run a game like this, the model is free play plus a cash shop, not full price plus a cash shop.

I'm not surprised they're trying to wring more profit to the game. There was really a certain buzz and a lot of excitement over the giants and it was like the wind went out of the game's sails when they announced the giants were a fake and the next expansion would be Odus not Velius. I don't know anyone that cares about it other than the hope it brings a few people back.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 07:07:38 AM

Can I have your stuff?

edited to add content: Why is this a problem? Don't like it, don't buy it. Maybe I should ragequit over not having enough time to play to get to the raid-level content? Have fun in your new game, I'm sure it will solve all the problems of mmo and have unicorns that fart magical rainbows. We've never seen this cycle before.

If you are ragequitting a video game over some stupid change like this, just rageruninfrontofabus.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 07:14:10 AM by Sky »
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009, 09:29:26 AM

For me it wouldn't be the action itself so much as a serious concern about the judgement of the suits.  People have a very negative reaction to obvious money grabs, so it's important in how you provide revenue streams.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #4 on: October 02, 2009, 09:42:15 AM

I have already bought a good bit of stuff for DDOU.  Sub OR RMT.  This trying to have it both ways is bullshit.

"Me am play gods"
Wahn
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: October 02, 2009, 10:04:54 AM

I didn't say that I /ragequit, but 4 people from my raid alliance did. And those are people I've played with for up to 3 years now, so I tend to believe them.

But this will affect my ability to play the game. With the low population on my server right now, there is a critical mass for a raid alliance beyond which you can't make up such losses - especially if it are key players like raid leaders. If my alliance disbands, I will /ragequit.

The zone in itself is not the problem, it's the way this is leading.

How long until you have to buy access to new instances with SC?

[Edited to remove the worst spelling errors]
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 10:06:34 AM by Wahn »
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: October 02, 2009, 10:47:36 AM

I doubt if anyone really quits over something like this. It's more that it's someone who's already on the edge and gets pushed over it.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #7 on: October 02, 2009, 10:49:13 AM

For me it wouldn't be the action itself so much as a serious concern about the judgement of the suits.  People have a very negative reaction to obvious money grabs, so it's important in how you provide revenue streams.
Scott Hartsman is gone, the game is on cruise control. I doubt Scott would've pulled the Velious switch for meh Odus.

I still don't see this as a big deal. It's completely optional stuff (it says chambers, so I doubt it's very extensive). How far down the path is the only thing that's changed, some people were pissed when Station Cash and LoN were introduced, because it might lead to (whatever doom scenario). Hasn't yet, and personally, I'll just wait for the doom scenario rather than get all pissed at things that might lead there. And then just quit and play something else, without tehomgdrama.

The stuff about raid alliances. Well, that's a whole other issue, with design and playstyle incumbent on having an alliance of guilds to be viable, what could possibly go wrong? And even that is an optional playstyle, since I've never been involved and been playing EQ2 on and off since launch.

Soaking o/c achievers is funny imo.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: October 02, 2009, 11:10:11 AM

Soaking o/c achievers is funny imo.

This.  

It's a business.  If you come up with a marketing strategy that makes money, then you win.  I sincerely doubt anyone will quit because of this and many people will spend money that they otherwise wouldn't have.  People will bitch... they always bitch.  I think it's a decent ploy from a business standpoint.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: October 02, 2009, 12:02:17 PM

It's a business.  If you come up with a marketing strategy that makes money, then you win.

At a certain point though, you stop being about your product and you start being about money. And that doesn't work. I'd say a big reason that SOE has fallen behind has been that they are too focused on marketing strategies and income streams and insufficiently interested in creating games. Blizzard has done a lot of creative work on different services and marketing and income streams, but in mentality they appear to customers first and foremost are a company that creates games.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: October 02, 2009, 12:20:32 PM

As an example with Free Realms (which I still love), there are newer quests which end with the quest-giver thinking they need a boost.  I've seen several which say, word for word, "Well, maybe I better visit the Station Store and buy some better gear!"

tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #11 on: October 02, 2009, 12:25:51 PM

Please tell me more.  Where in Free Realm can I get one of these quests?

"Me am play gods"
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: October 02, 2009, 12:41:09 PM

At a certain point though, you stop being about your product and you start being about money. And that doesn't work. I'd say a big reason that SOE has fallen behind has been that they are too focused on marketing strategies and income streams and insufficiently interested in creating games. Blizzard has done a lot of creative work on different services and marketing and income streams, but in mentality they appear to customers first and foremost are a company that creates games.

It's ALWAYS about the money.  You improve your product to make more money.  You appeal to the subscriber base to make more money.  If a company could put water in a bottle and make money, they would.  Oh... wait.  

Blizzard succeeds in that they know what works to make money.  Pride in workmanship is what generates retention, which also makes money.  Yes, I'm just that cynical. 

« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 12:43:04 PM by Nebu »

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: October 02, 2009, 02:18:36 PM

Please tell me more.  Where in Free Realm can I get one of these quests?
I think several of the racing quests.  I do so many different things and jump around so much it's tough for me to remember.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: Buy your new instances on LoN  
Jump to: