Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 11:25:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Game Design/Development  |  Topic: Daeven has an epiphany 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Daeven has an epiphany  (Read 15239 times)
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: April 02, 2004, 04:02:58 PM

This thread is going in circles. It doesn't matter whether you call it HP, accuracy, dexterity, critical hit chance, blah blah blah. The point is overall EFFECTIVENESS increases non linearly.

A linear increase might imply that 5 level 20 characters are an even match for 1 level 100 character. (Actually, it probably doesn't really imply this due to attrition, but close enough - when the first of the 5 low levels dies their overall effectiveness decreases 20%)

How EFFECTIVENESS is measured is irrelevant. Whatever mix of attributes doesn't matter.

What is confusing people is that if you HP increases linearly, and you accuracy increases linearly, etc etc, you EFFECTIVENESS is increasing non-linearly.

Twice the hp ALONE would make me twice as effective. Now add twice the accuracy and twice the dodging. Now I'm 4-8 times more effective or so.
----
How you mix the ingredients isn't that important. That's up to an intelligent designer and it depends on the game and it's formulae. What's important is that overall EFFECTIVENESS is not an steep curve.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Game Design/Development  |  Topic: Daeven has an epiphany  
Jump to: