Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 06:38:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Domain registering 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Domain registering  (Read 16516 times)
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

on: September 18, 2009, 09:59:34 AM

Off hand, can anyone point me in a direction of registering a domain name site? Preferably one that has a good rep and/or if any of you have experience with. I am working with a PhD here on her next grant and the University IRB has requested we grab our own web domain name, but when she looked up how she was overloaded with lists of places to purchase. Price is not at issue since it will be in the grant to comp the cost, however given the multitude of choices, any better than others or all basically the same?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
schild
Administrator

Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 10:00:48 AM

Just go to GoDaddy and use the coupon code FUN3
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: September 18, 2009, 10:40:10 AM

Remember to opt out of all the crap, the entire site is designed to trick you into buying shit besides your domain name registration.  It is almost to the point of a bait and switch scam but you actually can just register a domain name if you are careful.
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009, 10:54:36 AM

I've been happily using joker.com for about ten years now.  Reliable.  Simple.  No bullshit.
fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: September 19, 2009, 02:09:20 PM

Second,

http://www.retailmenot.com/view/godaddy.com

Has one for $2.99 try 299buycom coupon  awesome, for real

Their domain hosting has worked flawlessly for me for years and their console works pretty good, avoid everything else they offer.
Ookii
Staff Emeritus

is actually Trippy

Reply #5 on: September 19, 2009, 06:22:54 PM

Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: September 19, 2009, 06:25:50 PM

If that $2.99 coupon works, I'm doing a little shopping.

F  is inviting you to start Quarto. Do you want to Accept (Alt+C) or Decline (Alt+D) the invitation?

You have accepted the invitation to start Quarto.

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
where we pour milk on the stomach alien from total recall
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #7 on: September 19, 2009, 07:47:59 PM

If that $2.99 coupon works, I'm doing a little shopping.

Cheapbutvain.com?

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
Jack9
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: September 19, 2009, 11:17:24 PM

gandi.net

I prefer my domains to fall under french law than US law.
schild
Administrator

Reply #9 on: September 19, 2009, 11:21:18 PM

gandi.net

I prefer my domains to fall under french law than US law.
Domains can be jacked easily no matter what country their in and most providers probably couldn't protect you from an American company anyway. Just saying.
Jack9
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: September 19, 2009, 11:28:58 PM

I'm not sure what you mean by jacked or by "protect". If there's a dispute with a godaddy account, 1 complaint (legitimate or not) can take the domain offline rather quickly. It takes more than even a US order to get gandi to suspend the domain. Just sayin.
schild
Administrator

Reply #11 on: September 19, 2009, 11:32:48 PM

1 complaint (legitimate or not) can take the domain offline rather quickly

Short of the odd situation that's been plastered all over the web, having spent 2 years working at GoDaddy (and having intense disdain for the company I might add), I can assure you that the flavor of internet propaganda you're spreading is of the rare variety. As in, that's bullshit and the number of times that has happened doesn't even tick a .1% mark among all the complaints they get.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #12 on: September 20, 2009, 12:01:52 AM

I don't know of a non-evil registrar.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: September 20, 2009, 12:23:43 AM

Palin 2012 : Let's go out with a bang!
TripleDES
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: September 20, 2009, 02:23:39 AM

EVE (inactive): Deakin Frost -- APB (fukken dead): Kayleigh (on Patriot).
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: September 20, 2009, 09:04:14 AM

Yeah, they're fine for registration, just don't use them for hosting.  Our shop's site is hosted by GoDaddy, and there isn't a week that goes by that I don't curse their existence.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #16 on: September 20, 2009, 02:20:20 PM

You on a shared server, VPS, or dedicated?

f13.net is on a dedicated GoDaddy server and I haven't rebooted the machine in over a year and you guys have seen for yourselves how often the site is inaccessible because of GoDaddy networking issues (basically never). If it's shared or a VPS (depending on the virtualization method used) your reliability is at the whims of the other people sharing your hardware.
Xuri
Terracotta Army

몇살이세욬ㅋ 몇살이 몇살 몇살이세욬ㅋ!!!!!1!

Reply #17 on: September 20, 2009, 02:39:24 PM

I'm currently using One.com for my domain registrations and site-hosting. Have been using them since November 2003, and have had no problems with stability or uptime and such. Granted, I don't run a high-traffic website, but for my needs (blogging, file storage, e-mail) the service they're providing is more than adequate.

-= Ho Eyo He Hum =-
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: September 21, 2009, 06:12:47 AM

I hate GoDaddy.  My brother registered his domains and hosting there like a tard without consulting me and I cursed him for it.  Couldn't figure out how to do half the shit I needed, my site didnt' work when I put it up there and GoDaddy's "View Logs" interface was 404'ed so I couldn't see what error messages Joomla was spitting out.  I then moved the site back to my Dreamhost account and couldn't get GoDaddy's domains to see Dreamhost's nameservers correctly, nor could I get it to point to my domain without making the url look retarded.

First chance I get I'm transferring the domains away from GoDaddy.  Their user interface is horrible, and half their shit doesn't work right.
Ookii
Staff Emeritus

is actually Trippy

Reply #19 on: September 21, 2009, 08:38:07 AM

I hate GoDaddy.  My brother registered his domains and hosting there like a tard without consulting me and I cursed him for it.  Couldn't figure out how to do half the shit I needed, my site didnt' work when I put it up there and GoDaddy's "View Logs" interface was 404'ed so I couldn't see what error messages Joomla was spitting out.  I then moved the site back to my Dreamhost account and couldn't get GoDaddy's domains to see Dreamhost's nameservers correctly, nor could I get it to point to my domain without making the url look retarded.

First chance I get I'm transferring the domains away from GoDaddy.  Their user interface is horrible, and half their shit doesn't work right.

Okay, let's cover the obvious first, you don't have any fucking idea what you're doing.  That said, GoDaddy does suck in a lot of ways, but my Dreamhost server's average load is 15+ (on a quad core).

KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: September 21, 2009, 09:07:34 AM

Okay, let's cover the obvious first, you don't have any fucking idea what you're doing.  That said, GoDaddy does suck in a lot of ways, but my Dreamhost server's average load is 15+ (on a quad core).

If by "don't have any fucking idea what I'm doing" you mean I'm used to using both Yahoo and Dreamhost's domain management systems with having zero issues yet I can't get godaddy's system to do what I want, then yes, I don't know what I'm doing.  I've done a lot of domain management on Dreamhost's panel specifically and had zero issues, including domain mirroring that doesn't suck, yet I can't figure out how to do it in GoDaddy's system. 

I have also converted quite a few Joomla sites from one hosted account to another, so I do know what I am doing there.  However, when I moved my site to  godaddy and I get a pure blank screen, and the 4 days I tried to go to their web server log viewer (since you know, GoDaddy apparently doesn't give me shell) and the site gives me 404 errors, there's not much I can do (since you know, it's hard to debug the problem when there is no message on what is breaking) but move it back to my Dreamhost account.

Dreamhost may suck for heavy websites, I don't know as none of my sites I have hosted there are that big as it's mostly used as a development grounds for me right now.  When the time comes for performance I'll see what I can do, but like hell will I go to GoDaddy.

And back to the point of this post, Dreamhost's domain management panel is MUCH more cleaner, more organized, and easier to work with than GoDaddy's, and it seems to provide much more options as well.  Shit I'd even use yahoo's domain management stuff over GoDaddy's, because at least Yahoo's interface doesn't suck.
schild
Administrator

Reply #21 on: September 21, 2009, 09:17:23 AM

The ONE interface of GoDaddy's that doesn't suck is the domain management one. Yahoo's is probably the worst in the industry and Dreamhost is just the Cheap Seats.

I'm really not sure what kind of point you're trying to make but don't disparage a service because it confused you. GoDaddy's domain management is pretty much top of the class other than one or two things that are missing that you'd probably never notice with casual hosting anyway.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #22 on: September 21, 2009, 11:28:02 AM

Just don't use GoDaddy's spam filter.  Shaking fist

In general otherwise, people seem to be satisfied with them, sleazy ads aside.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: September 21, 2009, 08:32:22 PM

The ONE interface of GoDaddy's that doesn't suck is the domain management one. Yahoo's is probably the worst in the industry and Dreamhost is just the Cheap Seats.

I'm really not sure what kind of point you're trying to make but don't disparage a service because it confused you. GoDaddy's domain management is pretty much top of the class other than one or two things that are missing that you'd probably never notice with casual hosting anyway.

Network Solutions domain management kicked all kinds of ass before godaddy "enlightened" them with the kotaku plus sales design scheme.  It was almost worth the triple price network solutions was charging but once they started with making you opt out of bogus extra services during checkout and renewal it was a rapid trip to the bottom.  I still think network solutions beats go daddy on the management console when it comes to doing things like setting up multiple mx and host records for fail over when you own your own mail server and such.

If you think godaddy has anything special going for it other than price you are kidding yourself.  That said I do think they are worth what they charge.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 08:38:06 PM by Salamok »
fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: September 22, 2009, 04:09:03 PM

Mob Godaddys domain control center has been porked for a day now Mob

(this is the first time I have had an issue in ~4years, no eta yet of a fix only mention is on twitter as of ~24hrs ago)
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: September 28, 2009, 08:16:32 AM

Just to say...

I was going to go through GoDaddy to register a domain for my neverware project forum, when I noticed my animeofthestate.org host, Hostway, offers domain registration for $7.95 a year.

Since I've had almost no problems with them in the past seven years, and I already have a huge amount of webspace with them that I barely use, I'll go through them.

No idea if they offer the same pricing to new customers. Try it.

EDIT: Hostway is working through Domainpeople.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 08:36:18 AM by Stormwaltz »

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Domain registering  
Jump to: