Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:50:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Solomon Kane 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Solomon Kane  (Read 10132 times)
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

on: September 11, 2009, 02:41:22 PM

Trailer

might be worth price of admission

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 04:35:16 PM

I'm unreasonably interested in this, because I think Solomon Kane is such a deeply weird combination of things. You can see strong traces of it in The Witcher and elsewhere, but someone who really got the idea and did something cool with it would be good. The trailer is at least promising.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: September 12, 2009, 01:02:38 AM

I'm unreasonably interested in this, because I think Solomon Kane is such a deeply weird combination of things. You can see strong traces of it in The Witcher and elsewhere, but someone who really got the idea and did something cool with it would be good. The trailer is at least promising.

Agreed. If you're into things like Warhammer he is the prototypical Witch hunter.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #3 on: September 12, 2009, 04:59:49 AM

Sweet! Already a REH fan.. But the Marc Antony guy is cool too. Haven't seen him in much besides Rome (Knight's Tale is it, I think).
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: September 12, 2009, 08:19:33 AM

I just hope that it doesn't turn into something like Van Helsing...
gryeyes
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: September 12, 2009, 08:25:21 AM

I will surely check this out.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: September 12, 2009, 08:28:38 PM

It's giving me a Van Helsing vibe, it doesn't look anything like I'd imagine a Solomon Kane movie should look.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: September 13, 2009, 08:14:42 AM

Hey, this looks precisely like the kind of costume-action-schlock that I like. Will watch.

- I'm giving you this one for free.
- Nothing's free in the waterworld.
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: September 14, 2009, 11:27:17 AM

It's giving me a Van Helsing vibe, it doesn't look anything like I'd imagine a Solomon Kane movie should look.

Yeah, I'm in between the range of Van Helsing and Conan the Barbarian in suck to awesome scale.  It could go either way, and that worries me since Hollywood has been leaning very heavily to the suck side of the scale this year.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #9 on: September 14, 2009, 07:27:03 PM

Van Helsing is actually pretty awesome.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Or rather, an awesome concept executed as a bad movie. But I'll take that too.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #10 on: September 14, 2009, 07:29:04 PM

This could be awesome, or it could be really really horrible.

It does appear that they at least had the good sense to leave out the deeply problematic racial stuff in the original stories.

He better at least say "Men will die for this.DRILLING AND MANLINESS

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Brogarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: September 15, 2009, 07:42:48 AM

Looks like the wet dream of everyone that played a Witch Hunter full time in WAR.

Definite Van Helsing flashbacks, though.
Ymurr
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: September 30, 2009, 08:21:07 AM

This could be awesome, or it could be really really horrible.

I agree with you on that. Will watch this movie to find out...
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #13 on: March 06, 2010, 05:15:05 PM

This movie was great. Nothing in common at all with VanHelsing, everything in common with awesome. Marc Anthony did a good job I thought. And yes, other than the references to God instead of Sigmar and the Puritan family this could have easily been a Warhammer movie.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: March 10, 2010, 07:27:28 AM

Does it have a US release date yet? Can't find anything with a quick search.
Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: March 11, 2010, 10:37:55 AM

I want to see this too, but I'm starting to think it'll take a hoisting of the black flag to do so.

Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: March 11, 2010, 11:03:45 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solomon_Kane_(film)

Some info there.  It premiered last September, and has been released internationally, but has no official US release date other than a generic 2010, and hasn't been kicked out direct to video yet.  Seems like it's caught in limbo right now.
Ubvman
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: March 19, 2010, 02:08:50 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solomon_Kane_(film)

Some info there.  It premiered last September, and has been released internationally, but has no official US release date other than a generic 2010, and hasn't been kicked out direct to video yet.  Seems like it's caught in limbo right now.

Well, I have seen the movie in a cinema in Malaysia, it was released here early in March. Lets just say, I can understand why it hasn't been released theatrically in the states. It is a VERY low budget movie - I don't think they spent much money on research etc. Costumes seems to be left overs right out of Xena/Hercules with the addition of muskets. Not joking - they are working on a low budget and it shows. This movie does not even pretend to recreate England in the 1600s. Okay, well they try but not very convincingly and seems to have accidentally recreated late 1300s (with guns) instead... Cinematography seems to be limited to gloomy, gloomier and dark gloomy with lots of rain. Bog standard TV level special effects - nothing spectacular.

If its going to be released in states theatrically, it will be slaughtered. As it is, I think its an acceptable direct to video fare, nothing more.

Pretty disappointing IMHO, I am a fan of the Solomon Kane comics from Marvel and also the new ones from Dark Horse (haven't read the Robert E. Howard books). The only similarity the character in the movie has withe comics is just the name and the costume he wears.

Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: August 15, 2010, 05:04:58 PM

Just saw this and holy shit it was surprisingly awesome! (in that I had heard absolutely nothing about it prior to watching)

I heartily recommend if you like your films epic, dark and twisted.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
Ragnoros
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: August 15, 2010, 06:13:14 PM

Owls are an example of evolution showing off. -Shannow

BattleTag - Ray#1555
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: August 15, 2010, 07:30:54 PM

Trust me I did a search.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: August 15, 2010, 07:38:57 PM

& I have no idea why it is finding the thread now but it didn't earlier  Ohhhhh, I see.

Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: August 15, 2010, 10:36:37 PM

We believe you, we all believe you............

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #23 on: August 15, 2010, 10:39:22 PM

touch
nurtsi
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: August 24, 2010, 05:30:36 AM

Saw this at a local movie festival on Sunday. It's shite. Direct to DVD here.
Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: September 30, 2010, 04:30:46 PM

I don't know about shite. It's pretty much what I expected. Gritty action-adventure in the vein of Conan (obviously.) A fairly entertaining romp for two or more people (I never watch movies like this alone.) Preferrably manly men who like men doing what manly men does when being manly. Yes, it's rather testosterone laden. It's REH after all.

Fantastic? Not by a long shot.

Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: September 30, 2010, 04:38:08 PM

I was entertained.

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: August 31, 2012, 09:53:45 PM

I know this is old but oh well. This is on on-demand and I just watched it. I was actually quite entertained, more than I expected to be. Honestly, with its trouble finding a studio to release it state-side I expected it to be horrible and I was pleasantly surprised to find that I enjoyed it.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Solomon Kane  
Jump to: