Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 04:42:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: The Colony. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Colony.  (Read 4074 times)
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

on: September 08, 2009, 11:31:05 PM

So has anyone else been watching this?

It's a "What if" end of the world thing.  Basically 10 people have to live 10 weeks in a post-apocolyptic world.

I've only seen a few episodes so far, but it's actually decent.
Nerf
Terracotta Army

The Presence of Your Vehicle Has Been Documented

Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 12:06:35 AM

I've caught a couple episodes, but I just can't get over the whole bit about them knowing its just a TV show.  The "bread not bombs" chick? She'd be getting raped right now.  The useless Nurse? Raped.  A couple people would have already been beaten to death for being fucking idiots.  The traders with the AKs and a truck-mounted .50? Why would they trade anything, they'd just fucking take it.

The show completely misses the point that a vast number of people only act civilized because there would be grave consequences otherwise, remove those consequences and a bunch of idiots in a warehouse isn't what you'd get.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 03:57:41 AM

While I agree with most of what you said, Nerf, not everyone with a gun would go all feral to begin with.  Some WOULD just have them to protect themselves, at least until they got desperate.   The traders make sense if it's only been 'a few weeks.'

There are definitely not enough crazy and dangerous people in 'the badlands' on this show, however.   Like ALL the bad guys have had only clubs or been under-armed compared to the cast.  That's just not going to happen.  And the dude who showed up with a key to the warehouse?  Yeah, he should have been armed at the least.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 05:20:13 PM

I watched the first episode of this show.  The bearded engineer drove me nuts, so I gave it three thumbs down and never recorded the show again.

Has he been killed off yet?

Palin 2012 : Let's go out with a bang!
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 05:40:04 PM

I watched the first episode of this show.  The bearded engineer drove me nuts, so I gave it three thumbs down and never recorded the show again.

Has he been killed off yet?

Are you talking about the computer engineer?  The older guy with the white hair?  If so, then he's pretty fucking awesome.  lol  He's made some pretty cool stuff.
Nerf
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: September 09, 2009, 11:00:00 PM

The commentary on his flamethrower was pretty awful.  "Now he's going to use a blowtorch to light the end and check for leaks.  It lit, that means there are no leaks!"

I would've really liked to see them all outside puking from inhaling all that propane had it leaked.
schild
Administrator

Reply #6 on: September 10, 2009, 12:28:14 AM

Having looked at the list of contestants, I'm not entirely sure I can see any of them lasting a week in a real post apocalyptic environment. I'd watch the show, but I think it would just bore me with missed potential.

Edit: For those wondering, I'd very turn into an "every man for themselves" type person in said environment. I can honestly say I would not be a safe person to be around. Maybe that would make me the safest, who knows. But it would most certainly be "shoot first, maybe ask questions later."
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: September 10, 2009, 04:20:13 PM

Something doesn't seem right about this show and their reactions.

Like, they know they are on TV and this is just an experiment, but on Day 2 they all get clubs and shit and get ready to go postal because new people showed up?  I don't believe that's real for a second.  Maybe a week into getting harrassed by the "baddies" and getting shit stolen but not in the 2nd day.  None of those guys are violent yet they are trying to act like they'd beat the shit out of the new people in a heartbeat.

Everything is seeming too exaggerated for this to be real...

*edit* Also, the whole water filtration solution seems too coincidental.  Think about it, the producers of the show could not have gotten them to be there unless they knew someone had a complete understanding of how to purify water.  They would get extremely sick if any of them drank the water without filtration and the producers knew this.  It just doesn't add up..
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 04:34:53 PM by KallDrexx »
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: September 10, 2009, 06:05:37 PM

Edit: For those wondering, I'd very turn into an "every man for themselves" type person in said environment. I can honestly say I would not be a safe person to be around. Maybe that would make me the safest, who knows. But it would most certainly be "shoot first, maybe ask questions later."

Compared to many of our long term posters?  I can easily imagine a group of a dozen that would rapidly devolve into ear necklaces and bloodbaths within a week.
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: September 11, 2009, 02:16:25 AM

Lets just say I would be glad there was lots of water between me and most of you people in case of a nuclear apocalypse. I think I could outmaneuver Jeff Kelly and Helm in my native mountains and evade being killed and eaten by fellow posters!  awesome, for real
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: September 11, 2009, 02:31:03 AM

Personally I'd vote for not surviving the nuclear apocalypse. I'm pretty sure I have next to no useful skills besides being capable of sleeping outside if necessary and dealing with people like Schild who'll kill you for turning around at the wrong time would be far too stressful. Unless maybe I could go find some old fashioned fortress monastery where we grow vegetables and hide when vikings come by.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: September 11, 2009, 12:21:51 PM

I dunno, I think we'd get along well enough....long as you got the caps.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #12 on: September 11, 2009, 01:18:20 PM

I saw an ad for this show and suddenly my node filled with the scent of bullshit.  Besides the obvious fact that it's fake, the participants know it's fake; note Nerf and Schild as making sense here.

Also, in case you didn't know, I would not put up with much bullshit at all if there were no repercussions.  I mean, I'm not going to shoot someone for no reason, but I'd do so for a valid reason.  Like trying to beat me to the Twinkie factory.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
schild
Administrator

Reply #13 on: September 11, 2009, 01:54:28 PM

I'm not going to shoot someone for no reason, but I'd do so for a valid reason.

I would.
Nerf
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: September 11, 2009, 02:31:03 PM

I'm not going to shoot someone for no reason, but I'd do so for a valid reason.

I would.

I'd have a reason that was valid (to me, at least) before I shot someone.  Like the nurse in the latest episode that decided not to treat the asshole handyman and his poo-covered cut.  If you're here and part of the "colony" because you're a nurse, and you decide you're not going to do nursey stuff because someone wasn't nice to you, you're getting booted the fuck out.  At the very least, she would've been beaten severely and raped a few times.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #15 on: September 11, 2009, 04:04:55 PM

When the apocalypse comes I think I'm going to try to gather a small group of sane people and go live on an island.  Seems like as long as we don't build a flourishing civilization that's visible from the mainland, the roving assrape gangs aren't likely to go to the trouble of paddling over to us.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Tairnyn
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: September 11, 2009, 05:40:04 PM

This looked awesome and I wanted to love it. I watched 2 random episodes of this (the 2nd episode just to be completely sure I didn't like it) and, like a few of you have observed, it felt too much like a reality show without enough actual reality. The simple fact that they graced them with a warehouse full of (coincidentally) most of the gear they'd need for the necessities of life was the first thing that really got to me. Then, many of the events (both at their 'home' and outside) were so painfully scripted that it was hard to really be interested in seeing how they cope with adversity. It reminded me of Big Brother meets Junkyard Wars with annoying commentary from shitty 'experts' about survival.

It would have been much cooler if they convinced them they were on a different type of reality show and then suddenly the shit hit the fan.
schild
Administrator

Reply #17 on: September 14, 2009, 04:32:52 AM

You know, on the bright side, we're getting closer to Battle Royale, the TV show. So, even if this is poorly executed and a pussy way to do this sort of setting, eventually we're going to devolve into letting people kill each other for entertainment, and on that day, I will buy cable.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: The Colony.  
Jump to: