Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 10:15:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: WWII-Online getting a graphical upgrade. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: WWII-Online getting a graphical upgrade.  (Read 47333 times)
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #105 on: July 13, 2010, 11:47:03 AM

I don't like being a tank, I also don't really like space games where I am just a ship. It is a personal preference. I like the troop plans, and the trucks, and sitting on tanks and such.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #106 on: July 13, 2010, 11:53:51 AM

The other issue with the tank stuff as Bworth wants it is simply stat. tracking.  When you choose to pilot a tank, you're a tanker... and your stats will track as such.  If you get out and what not, then how do you track said stats?  Also, it'd bork the supply chain and resource allocation, not to mention totally throw off the numbers.

Anyways, none of it really matters because it's really a small subset of the game.  There's nothing stopping you from doing a multitude of other things.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #107 on: July 13, 2010, 11:59:59 AM

I never played long enough to really care about any of that. That's all end game top tier stuff, something a noob will likely never care about, not when hes in the "just figure out how to kill things and get some kills" stage. All I know is I pulled a tank, and could not get out, I ended up getting stuck in some ditch and sat there until something killed me (long time ago).

I'm just stating the things that stop me from playing the game, its all personal preference, its not a knock on the game, I find it impressive. Always have.

I think i have even started a thread or two about it  Ohhhhh, I see.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #108 on: July 13, 2010, 12:08:20 PM

I never played long enough to really care about any of that. That's all end game top tier stuff, something a noob will likely never care about, not when hes in the "just figure out how to kill things and get some kills" stage. All I know is I pulled a tank, and could not get out, I ended up getting stuck in some ditch and sat there until something killed me (long time ago).

I'm just stating the things that stop me from playing the game, its all personal preference, its not a knock on the game, I find it impressive. Always have.

I think i have even started a thread or two about it  Ohhhhh, I see.

I didn't play at release, so I can't say for sure how it was then, but nowadays if something happens to you in a vehicle you can despawn instead of waiting for someone to come along and gank you.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #109 on: July 13, 2010, 03:38:34 PM

You've always had the ability to despawn, so dunno why he'd sit inside his tank waiting to be killed.  All you're doing is giving the xp to the enemy and shorting your own supply, assuming you're close enough to get an RTB or Rescue.

Speaking of which, a useful tactic is making sure you're within your town's RTB-radius so if you get damaged whilst defending you can just despawn and start over.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #110 on: July 13, 2010, 03:44:45 PM

with world of tanks being awesome why would anyone play this again?
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #111 on: July 13, 2010, 03:45:42 PM

Thats just a silly thing to say.

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #112 on: July 13, 2010, 03:46:08 PM

Because you like to troll MMO threads.
WayAbvPar

Reply #113 on: July 14, 2010, 09:32:13 AM

Obvious troll is obvious.

You bastards gotta quit bumping this thread- it is making me antsy to play again, and I have neither the time nor the budget to cram another subscription game in. I really need to be independently wealthy so I can come even close to playing all the games I want. This whole working thing is bullshit.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #114 on: July 15, 2010, 07:23:21 PM

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #115 on: July 16, 2010, 07:10:28 AM

You bastards gotta quit bumping this thread- it is making me antsy to play again, and I have neither the time nor the budget to cram another subscription game in. I really need to be independently wealthy so I can come even close to playing all the games I want. This whole working thing is bullshit.

If a few people want to get together and form a squad to mess with this game, I'd go back in a heartbeat. 

On a related note, anyone interested in giving Rise of Flight a try with me?

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #116 on: July 16, 2010, 07:17:51 AM

If a few people want to get together and form a squad to mess with this game, I'd go back in a heartbeat. 

On a related note, anyone interested in giving Rise of Flight a try with me?

I am a member of a squad that will surely accept anyone here who wants to come back and try the game for a bit.  A well respected and productive squad in the game right now and a friendly environment.  Only potential problem for people depending on how you feel:  Allied only play during campaigns, playing axis is grounds for dismissal except during intermission.

Ghambit already joined, though I haven't seen him on in a bit (I think he went out of town on business or something though).  If you are interested, www.13inf.com.   I don't mean this to be shameless advertising or anything like that, just want you guys to know that you won't be on your own if you want to give the game a shot again.  If people are interested I'll start a thread on our forums about it.
WayAbvPar

Reply #117 on: July 16, 2010, 10:37:12 AM

Only potential problem for people depending on how you feel:  Allied only play during campaigns, playing axis is grounds for dismissal except during intermission.

Perfect! I think I have played a total of about an hour as Axis, mostly to play with the 88. Allied 4 Lyfe, yo.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #118 on: July 17, 2010, 06:44:49 AM

Was part of a great op last night.  Well over 100 people coordinated to sneak into an axis city and capture its army bases simultaneously, bouncing all their brigades, and allowing the rest of the allies to roll in an cap the city after a bit of a counter attack from the Axis.  I think someone was Frapsing, i'll see if they posted a video anywhere.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #119 on: July 17, 2010, 07:49:55 PM

I'm back in town for a few days.
Interesting you brought up Frapsing, since this latest patch is MUCH more video friendly.  Things just look better and more exciting.

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #120 on: July 17, 2010, 07:51:52 PM

I'm back in town for a few days.
Interesting you brought up Frapsing, since this latest patch is MUCH more video friendly.  Things just look better and more exciting.

Yeah, I know some people have said that 1.31 looks like shit, and yeah, it isn't Bad Company 2, ok.  But it feels/looks/sounds great and really sets the scene nicely.
WayAbvPar

Reply #121 on: July 18, 2010, 05:40:17 PM

Downloading now. First try went to the end and then 'failed'...hopefully just an anomaly. 2 minutes and change and I will know, I guess  Ohhhhh, I see.

Yep, downloaded, cracked into my account (couldn't remember my user name), and re-subbed for a month. In game handle is guido9tn...someone look me up and tell me wtf I should be doing =)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 05:52:16 PM by WayAbvPar »

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #122 on: July 18, 2010, 07:04:54 PM

Downloading now. First try went to the end and then 'failed'...hopefully just an anomaly. 2 minutes and change and I will know, I guess  Ohhhhh, I see.

Yep, downloaded, cracked into my account (couldn't remember my user name), and re-subbed for a month. In game handle is guido9tn...someone look me up and tell me wtf I should be doing =)

I'll look for you tomorrow, I am zhenya in game.
WayAbvPar

Reply #123 on: July 18, 2010, 10:38:35 PM

Many KIAs later, and I still haven't seen an enemy infantry yet. This fucking blow. Walk for 20 mins and die. Yay.

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #124 on: July 19, 2010, 05:51:55 AM

Many KIAs later, and I still haven't seen an enemy infantry yet. This fucking blow. Walk for 20 mins and die. Yay.

Yeah, that was roughly my first 3-4 days of the game as well, and it still happens now and again.  You can't play like you would play a normal shooter.  Also, you shouldn't need to walk for 20 minutes, it sounds like you might be spawning it at a forward base instead of joining a mission with a mobile spawn set up.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 05:58:07 AM by Malakili »
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #125 on: July 19, 2010, 07:54:36 AM

You have to find the fun  DRILLING AND MANLINESS
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #126 on: July 19, 2010, 07:59:17 AM

WWIIO is more simulation, than game.

DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #127 on: July 19, 2010, 08:07:19 AM

WWIIO is more simulation, than game.

Which is why I'm playing world of tanks, has the sim parts I want with none of the sim parts I hate, though a dash of mmo'ness i can barely stand but hey good game other wise.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #128 on: July 19, 2010, 08:11:50 AM

You have to find the fun  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Hey look, DLRiley thinks he is clever.
WayAbvPar

Reply #129 on: July 19, 2010, 08:54:43 AM

Yeah, that was roughly my first 3-4 days of the game as well, and it still happens now and again.  You can't play like you would play a normal shooter.  Also, you shouldn't need to walk for 20 minutes, it sounds like you might be spawning it at a forward base instead of joining a mission with a mobile spawn set up.

Part of the problem is that everyone was crying for infantry, but no one wanted to transport me. Every truck I got into bitched because they were too busy doing ammo runs to transport me, and the rest just drove past as a I walked. And walked. And walked.

I will dig around in the wiki today and get myself more up to speed. Pretty offputting first experience though. If I was new and had no idea what else the game offered I would be pretty annoyed about spending the money.

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #130 on: July 19, 2010, 09:11:35 AM

Part of the problem is that everyone was crying for infantry, but no one wanted to transport me. Every truck I got into bitched because they were too busy doing ammo runs to transport me, and the rest just drove past as a I walked. And walked. And walked.

I will dig around in the wiki today and get myself more up to speed. Pretty offputting first experience though. If I was new and had no idea what else the game offered I would be pretty annoyed about spending the money.

Yeah, trucks aren't generally used for transporting infantry anymore except in really specific circumstances.  Instead, you can use trucks to set up Mobile spawns closer to the action.  When you are selecting a mission, there will be a little truck and arrow icon on the right side of the mission selection box if there is a mobile spawn set up for that mission, so you should look for that, as it will allow you to spawn much closer than at a forward base.  If you don't see any Mobile Spawns up, there is probably someone on the way to set one up and you can wait for it to deploy and then spawn in.  In the mean time you can always spawn in and defend the forward base for a few minutes as infantry or an AA gun.  Then when you see the "mobile spawn deployed for this mission" in the chat box, you can return to base (press escape), and spawn in nearer the front.

Also, keep an eye on chat, people will often announce that they've deployed an MSP in the following format "MSP up for (Town we're fighting in) 1 Regiment / 27th Infantry /their_name", which means you can find their mission from the brigade selection list by going to 1rst regiment, 27th infantry division, and then finding their name on the missions list.

WayAbvPar

Reply #131 on: July 19, 2010, 09:27:16 AM

Ah- I was wondering what the hell MSP meant =)

I was funneled into a BKB squad when I started and was trying to spawn into the same missions as them. Is there a better way to do it? Is going to the strat map and looking for action spots more reliable?

I tried using an AA gun last night but couldn't get it to actually fire. Drug out a few hundred meters, deployed it, but couldn't actually fire it. Either I can't remember anything, or things have really changed since I last played. Probably a bit of both.

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #132 on: July 19, 2010, 10:06:18 AM

Ah- I was wondering what the hell MSP meant =)

I was funneled into a BKB squad when I started and was trying to spawn into the same missions as them. Is there a better way to do it? Is going to the strat map and looking for action spots more reliable?

I tried using an AA gun last night but couldn't get it to actually fire. Drug out a few hundred meters, deployed it, but couldn't actually fire it. Either I can't remember anything, or things have really changed since I last played. Probably a bit of both.

You'll have to switch to the gunner to fire :).   You default to the commander position, so after you've deployed the gun, switch to the gunner position (using the number keys), I think 1 is commander and 2 is gunner, or vice versa, I'm blanking on it.

Using the map is a good way to find the action for sure.  Once you've chosen your persona you can look at the map and you should look for a few things in particular:

1) If the border around a town's name is red and blinking, that means there is an attack order on that town, its a good bet there is something going on there, though it might not be the most populated of all the towns.  You can use this to get a quick overview.

2) If the background behind a towns name is a green or red color (it looks obviously different than the rest), then the town is currently contested, meaning at least one capture point in the town has been taken by the other side.  There is a good chance things are going on here unless it is a softcap (but don't worry about that for now).

3) Under the town's name there will be a little guy and a little tank if there are infantry and armor near the town.  If it is black with a red outline that means there have been enemies spotted near by, but not in large numbers.  If it is solid red, that means there are large number of enemies here.   In chat you will see these referred to like so "Town X is EWS double/double" (meaning both infantry and armor enmies are around in big numbers, single/single if smaller numbers, single/double, double/single, you get the idea).  EWS = Early Warning System.

4) You can always ask in side chat "What is p1" (priority  one).   You'll get an answer like "p1 attack Town X, p1 defense Town Y" those are the towns where most of the action is going to be happening.

Other random map information:  You can see how many brigades are stationed in a town by looking at the number of dots next to the flag showing which country owns that town.  You can turn on radar to see air traffic.  yellow = some air spotted in this area, red = lots of air spotted in this area, useful if you are wanting to play air, or play anti-air.   You can use the magnifying glass icon to search for a specific town if you are having trouble finding a town someone mentioned in chat.  If you put in the first few letters and search, that'll do the trick.

If you have other questions feel free to ask.
WayAbvPar

Reply #133 on: July 19, 2010, 10:18:35 AM

Haha yeah I found the AA guide on the wiki and discovered the gunner secret  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Thanks for the map info- that should prove helpful. I will probably try to get some time in this afternoon...this pesky 'work' part of working from home is buggering up my gaming time today.

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #134 on: July 19, 2010, 11:29:17 AM

Just a couple screenshots of 13th Inf in action, and examples of why this game is worth playing :)
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #135 on: July 19, 2010, 11:47:36 AM

Just a couple screenshots of 13th Inf in action, and examples of why this game is worth playing :)

Ohhhhh, I see.
WayAbvPar

Reply #136 on: July 19, 2010, 11:59:08 AM

You are on thin ice. Stop fucking trolling.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #137 on: July 19, 2010, 12:40:40 PM

DLRiley, if you aren't going to contribute in a positive way stop posting.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #138 on: July 19, 2010, 03:38:42 PM

Paradrops arent as prevalent as they used to be since the advent of the MSP.  I remember some multi transport drops of damned near 100+ inf... complete with fighter escorts, etc.
(sigh)
This is one game I wish would go F2P.  Seriously, it needs 10 times the population to really show off its wares.  It's fine the way it is mind you, but just a shadow of its former epicness.

Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #139 on: July 19, 2010, 06:33:59 PM

Paradrops arent as prevalent as they used to be since the advent of the MSP.  I remember some multi transport drops of damned near 100+ inf... complete with fighter escorts, etc.
(sigh)
This is one game I wish would go F2P.  Seriously, it needs 10 times the population to really show off its wares.  It's fine the way it is mind you, but just a shadow of its former epicness.

There is an easy way to fix that, make basic infantry types free to play.  The infantry ratio to other unit types would be accurate and they would get some new subscribers who don't want to be second-class citizens.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: WWII-Online getting a graphical upgrade.  
Jump to: