Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 03:07:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: WWII-Online getting a graphical upgrade. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: WWII-Online getting a graphical upgrade.  (Read 47334 times)
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #35 on: September 08, 2009, 01:59:51 PM

Not to shabby.

Second screen shot. That guy flying on the right is awesome. awesome, for real
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: September 08, 2009, 02:45:25 PM

Someone talk me out of playing this.  I'm one of the idiots that rebuilt an entire box to get double digit framerates at release.  This was the game I wanted desperately to succeed. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: September 08, 2009, 02:52:34 PM

Someone talk me out of playing this.  I'm one of the idiots that rebuilt an entire box to get double digit framerates at release.  This was the game I wanted desperately to succeed. 

Wait until the patch to try it out.  If they dont have a lengthy free trial I'm sure they'll add one then.  I wouldnt get involved until then just for the fact that there will be much more of a playerbase once the patch goes live, and that translates into more fun. 

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: September 08, 2009, 02:55:28 PM

Why talk you out of it?  Its actually a good game, and a lot of fun.  The downsides:  its "slow" compared to most FPS games, you can spent 10 minutes running to your position, then get killed in 1 shot.  Other than that, its World War II....Online...

More a "sim" than an "fps"

Anyway, I'll be going back to check it out again after this patch hits.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: September 08, 2009, 03:35:22 PM

I was a HUGE fan of BF1942 but wanted it to have more sim elements.  I think this may be my game, but want to check it out before committing. 

I'm actually interested in Rise of Flight as well, but have some reservations. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: September 08, 2009, 05:21:14 PM

I was a HUGE fan of BF1942 but wanted it to have more sim elements.  I think this may be my game, but want to check it out before committing.  

I'm actually interested in Rise of Flight as well, but have some reservations.  

I think there is currently a 2 week free trial.   It requires a credit card though, if I recall correctly, so if you don't want to get charged after your second week, you have to remember to cancel.

There is a link to the free trial on the main page.  www.battlegroundeurope.com
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 05:24:45 PM by Malakili »
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: September 08, 2009, 09:36:34 PM

Again, dont even try this game w/o being pre-selected into a squad - like ANZACS (if you're allied).  So save yourself some free trial time, hit their website, sign up, and then login your 1st day.  You will wtf/quit otherwise.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: September 08, 2009, 09:41:20 PM

Again, dont even try this game w/o being pre-selected into a squad - like ANZACS (if you're allied).  So save yourself some free trial time, hit their website, sign up, and then login your 1st day.  You will wtf/quit otherwise.

I played the game for two months at release as a squadless solo.  If I can endure two months of that, it HAS to be better now.  Right?

-  Mark Twain
Pagz
Terracotta Army

I AM GOING TO WRESTLE THIS BEAR WITH MY BARE HANDS!

Reply #43 on: September 09, 2009, 03:32:04 AM

Isn't calling it Battleground Europe a little redundant since the war kinda happened in Europe?
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: September 09, 2009, 04:20:12 AM

Their plan was to branch out to other theaters, such as 'Battleground' North Africa.
Man, I wish that had happened.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: September 09, 2009, 11:53:50 AM

I played the game for two months at release as a squadless solo.  If I can endure two months of that, it HAS to be better now.  Right?

"Green tags" are hated people.  You guys run around willy nilly stealing resources and messing up ops.
Also, there's a lot more in the game than at release...  lot more to digest.  Impossible to do solo unless you've got serious patience.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: September 09, 2009, 11:57:40 AM

"Green tags" are hated people.  You guys run around willy nilly stealing resources and messing up ops.
Also, there's a lot more in the game than at release...  lot more to digest.  Impossible to do solo unless you've got serious patience.

I have serious patience.  I also know how to enjoy myself without ruining fun for others.  If I can find a squad of people that don't make me want to shove a pair of scissors in my ear, I'll join them.  Otherwise, they're all free to hate me. 

It's a game.  Seriously. 

-  Mark Twain
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: September 09, 2009, 12:44:26 PM

It's a sim.  Green tags mess up their sim-iness.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: September 09, 2009, 12:50:00 PM

With this new info, we should make an entire squad of green tags.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: September 09, 2009, 12:52:10 PM

With this new info, we should make an entire squad of green tags.
Im down with doing this.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: September 09, 2009, 12:55:38 PM

He is right though, some of the best (and least frustrating by far) times I have had with this game was when I jumped into a squad and join the vent server. It does make all the difference.

Maybe some of the more long time players on F13 can herd the horde of green tags. I am sure we can cause at least a distraction as nothing but green tags descend on the target.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: September 09, 2009, 08:52:28 PM

If they have the Chinese money rolling in they need to floor the accelerator!  Fill in the missing tanks quickly with statistical damage models, then come back later and do the detail models.  Make basic infantry free to play so the ratio of infantry to tanks and heavy weapons is correct. This also exposes greater numbers of players to the game.   Work on North Africa so you can get the Americans involved in the game instead of the half-assed French/American side you have now.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: June 10, 2010, 09:44:25 PM

1.31 went live a few days ago. 

If you haven't logged into 1.31 yet, it's like a new game. The battles are epic. I've taken part in a few engagements now that have involved enormous groups of players, the likes I haven't seen since 2001 . Tanks shelling the town to rubble, planes screaming across the sky riding down enemy fighters, mortars dropping on troops like rain, infantry shooting and dying by the boatload all in an effort to gain more ground. Don't even get me started about the new levels of awesome that are reached when the rain starts falling and thunder booms across the terrain.

If you can score a free trial, now's the time to give the game a try.  I assume this 1st campaign (which evidently started with a beachhead breakout), will be one of the best in years simply due to number of players.
I'm gonna try to get in-game, but I have serious time constraints.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #53 on: June 11, 2010, 12:37:00 AM

Ok, I'm to lazy too read this thread, or any other info about the state of the game other than it got a major upgrade.  I purchased this game on release, and was right there along with Lum in the beginning trying to figure out which function key made my plane turn left on the first day (along with the flying tanks and horrible bugs/crashs).  Despite all that shit, I still kind of enjoyed the game and payed it for awhile in all its hardcore sim buggy glory.  Explain to me in a few sentences what's changed since then and why I should play.  Go!

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: June 11, 2010, 02:34:38 AM

Better graphics- including infantry ragdolls with blood splatters, rain and dramatic explosions. The cities are now full of individual buildings and no longer just big blocks.

Player made video from Allied side and the same battle from the axis side

(sorry for the size of the pics, I don't know how to make them smaller)

Flag capturing is now based on the amount of people inside a flag depot - the more people, the faster it is. Moleing is a easy thing to counter.  

If you haven't played in a long time- Tigers, Churchill's, later war Sherman's. The HC players move brigades and divisions around like a operational wargame. Trucks can deploy mobile spawn points within 500 to 1500m of a town. Units have limited amounts of units before they suffer attrition and have to be pulled out. Mortors firing smoke and HE barrages. Paratroops and Snipers. Destroyers and Transports. A working help system and training tutorial.  

New campaign after the shakedown from the patch starts tomorrow.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 02:36:40 AM by Comstar »

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: June 11, 2010, 02:55:55 AM

I'm resubbing for this, as was my plan when I took a break from the game last autumn.  Looking forward to getting back into it.  For all the complaints people have about this game (mainly the inaccessibility), if you are willing to put the time in to learning I still think its one of the best MMOGs on the market. 

Its odd really, its a game I love myself, but a game I would suggest to almost no one.  I'd suggest the free trial to anyone who is REALLY interested, but its unfortunate that you almost can't learn enough in the 2 week trial to really find out if you are going to want to play longer term.  The free trial plus the first month (20 bucks I think), is probably enough though.
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: June 11, 2010, 04:04:25 AM

The ground and building textures are somewhat cringe worthy.  The only way I could imagine them worse is a poster of Hitler in a thong bikini.

Anisotropic filtering might help a tad.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: June 11, 2010, 04:23:18 AM

The ground and building textures are somewhat cringe worthy.  The only way I could imagine them worse is a poster of Hitler in a thong bikini.

*shrugs* The game is good enough to more than make up for dated graphics, especially since there is nothing similar on the market.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: June 11, 2010, 04:35:03 AM

Wait, why are there Tigers and later iterations of the Sherman if they never took Paris?  ACK!
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: June 11, 2010, 05:50:15 AM

The ground and building textures are somewhat cringe worthy.  The only way I could imagine them worse is a poster of Hitler in a thong bikini.

Those pics were horrible (in-game the feel is completely different).  FWIW you CAN ramp up the graphics quite a bit, but most folks dont do that because of performance.  Even in this day and age to do what WW2O does you have to cut corners.

Typically infantry will use high-end graphics, navy even higher, and the RAF/Luft. has to dumb theirs down.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 06:18:47 AM by Ghambit »

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: June 11, 2010, 06:11:17 AM

Quite impressive given the nature of the game. I am tempted to give it a go, however the thing that allways turns me off of this game is that you spawn as a vehicle, and its combat model with the guns. Still though, thats just a style thing for me, I know many don't care.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #61 on: June 11, 2010, 09:57:53 AM

That is unbelievably fugly.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #62 on: June 11, 2010, 10:08:24 AM

Is this one of those games that turns into a massive time sink in order to get any enjoyment out of it?
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: June 11, 2010, 10:26:02 AM

That is unbelievably fugly.

If i may, a point of refrence may be in order.

Behold!

That is correct, yes old buildings were simply boxes with transparencies and wall thickness was not.

Thats right! That what you looked like before.

Yummy terrain!

While the game may not be modern warfare, for its game play (entire Euro landmass seamless), and feature set, this last update to the graphics is quite simply, amazing in perspective.

This title has come a long way, and still has more real world physics than it should. lol.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 10:28:16 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: June 11, 2010, 10:34:46 AM

Complaining about the graphics for this game (especially post 1.31) is really quite pretentious.  Graphics are fine given the design as a whole.
Matter of fact, I prefer them this way rather than stylized and if they werent stylized they'd be overtly photoreal (like Arma or something) and the game would break down.

You tend to forget about the graphics when doing stuff like precision paratrooper drops on hot FBs... or when a salvo of torps. is inbound on your destr.  Or you're getting overran and about to lose Antwerp.  Or you're dodging flak in a bomber on a group strat. run to a factory, whilst getting swarmed by 109s.  Or you're desperately shifting resources and manpower in HQ and/or on TS.  Or or or... could go on and on.

'Course none of this "fun" matters when there's not enough playerbase or the campaigns start getting stale.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: June 11, 2010, 11:43:24 AM

For what it is the graphics are well beyond the need of the game.  I'd say that the graphics were fine and the upgrade goes beyond what most of the players expected.  If I had a regular group of people to run a squad with, I'd definitely be playing this game often.  Funny... that's the exact thing I say about most MMO's.   why so serious?

-  Mark Twain
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: June 11, 2010, 01:22:18 PM

Yeah, some of my best gaming moments have come out of this game, graphics or not. 

Speaking of which, just played some.  1.31 hasn't changed too much  mechanically, just the capture mechanic (no more table humping!).  Had great fun and jumped right back in with the old squad defending a city.  1 infantry and 2 gun kills on my first sortie back,  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: June 11, 2010, 01:26:17 PM

Is this one of those games that turns into a massive time sink in order to get any enjoyment out of it?

If you're good, no. Naturally, everyone who ever plays a PvP game thinks themselves as a "good pvper".

You start as a riflemen/crappy tank/low plane.

However, seeing as a riflemen can kill any other infantryman and is just as useful as capturing a flag than any other, a crappy tank can still kill every infantry/ATG/AAA gun/truck, and a low level plane can still dive on a hostile and get on their 6 in the right situation, it's not as bad it sounds like. Sure having a SMG or LMG is more useful when defending at a range of 10m, but in the countryside the rifle is much better. About the only thing you can't do at low level is kill tanks with infantry, but you can spawn low level ATGs that can kill any tank from the flank or rear if you're close enough or a AA gun that can kill any aircraft or infantry.

For that matter, the Low level fighter for the RAF- The Hurricane, is a MUCH better noob ride that the more advanced Spitfire in some ways - you might be slower, but the gun platform is more steady, and you can go around in a tighter circle at lower speeds.

As the campaign goes on into higher "tiers" of units, the noob rides get better. So after a week or two of the map starting, the noob ride becomes a Spitfire Mk I, then II, then V. Sure the guys with more time in the game can still fly better ones, but those better ones also get used faster and there are less of them- the noob will still be able to get a unit from the spawn list after the vet has lost all the expensive equipment and is reduced to flying the same thing.

The biggest hurdle is YOUR experience. There are people flying those fighters who have been flying online flight sims for longer than some Team Fortress II players have been alive. Then again, that includes people like me, who are still crap. And if you happy to take it slow and work with someone as a team mate/wingman/buddy you can do a lot more than the solo guy who has no one watching his back. Also, on the ground where everyone can be shot at by everything, experience dosn't help much if someone throws a grenade into your room or a riflemen 400m away just waiting for you to pop your head up.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 01:28:46 PM by Comstar »

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: June 11, 2010, 01:41:00 PM

The biggest hurdle is YOUR experience. There are people flying those fighters who have been flying online flight sims for longer than some Team Fortress II players have been alive. Then again, that includes people like me, who are still crap. And if you happy to take it slow and work with someone as a team mate/wingman/buddy you can do a lot more than the solo guy who has no one watching his back. Also, on the ground where everyone can be shot at by everything, experience dosn't help much if someone throws a grenade into your room or a riflemen 400m away just waiting for you to pop your head up.

This, basically.  You don't need to play all the time, but there IS a brutal learning curve.  You don't fall behind in levels or loot or anything like that by not playing for a long stretch, and even as someone who can spawn in as any infantry, I still choose my trusty rifleman more often than not. (There are some strategic level things going on that newbs need to pay 0 attention to that determine how many of any given unit can spawn in to a certain town, but you really don't need to learn about all that straight up, since its handled by experienced players).

I don't think I even got a single kill the first week I played this game, but I was hooked none the less, if that gives any indication.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: June 11, 2010, 03:31:06 PM

You get yelled at as a newb if you waste important materiel.  So it's always advisable to run training scenarios first, then start using up equipment.
If you're not well taken care of by a good squad, you can always run re-sup missions too.  I remember back when there was an entire squad (headed up by some nice lady) called the "quartermasters" who's sole purpose was to forward deploy equipment.

I believe this mechanic somewhat changed though after a big patch a few years ago.  I'm not sure how supply works anymore (that's about when I quit playing).  I BELIEVE you can deploy equipment to a frontline, but any rear equipment gets lost if oversupped?  Malakili??  How does this work?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: WWII-Online getting a graphical upgrade.  
Jump to: