Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 07:49:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Top Chef Season 6 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Top Chef Season 6  (Read 32174 times)
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

on: August 19, 2009, 11:05:02 PM

Started back up tonight. Dunno if the whole "Las Vegas is whacky so we are going to do whacky things!" angle is worth much, but the contestants seem so to be at a rather high level (other than a few of the usual dregs) so might be good. Can't wait to see everyone prostrate themselves before Joel Rubuchon like the God that he is.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 09:19:35 AM

Yeah, it had a much better start than all of last season. I can tell you that the next person to go is probably Eve. I was expecting her to go for that bland shrimp cream curry thing.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 11:04:32 AM

My wife was rooting for the one who did get tossed to get the boot just so she wouldn't have to look at her earlobes.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009, 09:52:37 PM

Uh, I was looking for this but apparently it's not on Bravo in Canada? I have to wait for it to start on September 7th on Food TV?

I am unamused.

F  is inviting you to start Quarto. Do you want to Accept (Alt+C) or Decline (Alt+D) the invitation?

You have accepted the invitation to start Quarto.

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
where we pour milk on the stomach alien from total recall
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 02:15:09 AM

That thing she cooked looked friggin' awful. I mean it just *looked* atrocious.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: August 22, 2009, 09:41:34 AM

The cv's of this year's crop look pretty amazing.  I'm looking forward to watching this in a few weeks when the herd has been cut a bit.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: August 23, 2009, 05:44:29 AM

Yeah, I thought that was a no-brainer boot. The seitan looked awful, apparently tasted awful, AND she didn't know that it was awful, but defended it proudly as something she cooks in her place. At least the bland curry thing looked like it might not have been bland. I like the woman who did the chicken with the fried egg on top--so far her stuff has a kind of original look and she's cooking with some bold flavors. A lot of the other folks are doing dishes that are excellent but in some sense "mainstream" nouvelle American.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #7 on: August 23, 2009, 01:26:13 PM

Just realized this came back on, downloading now. Anyone know if Top Chef Masters is related to this show?
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: August 23, 2009, 02:11:16 PM

Masters was the spin-off of this series.  Top Chef original recipe is better IMO because the stakes are higher for the chefs who are up and comers rather than well-established celebrity chefs.

-H.L. Mencken
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #9 on: August 23, 2009, 03:32:54 PM

My wife was rooting for the one who did get tossed to get the boot just so she wouldn't have to look at her earlobes.

Once I noticed her ears, it was a pretty easy choice of who I wanted off.  I really hate that stuff, it's revolting.

New to the show BTW.  I have a general dislike for all things reality TV, but this seems to be a cut above.

-Rasix
fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: August 23, 2009, 08:43:24 PM

New to the show BTW.  I have a general dislike for all things reality TV, but this seems to be a cut above.

I'm wondering why Wolfgang didn't peddle a book or set of knives to the winner of the elimination challenge  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
schild
Administrator

Reply #11 on: August 25, 2009, 07:30:17 AM

Once I noticed her ears, it was a pretty easy choice of who I wanted off.  I really hate that stuff, it's revolting.

New to the show BTW.  I have a general dislike for all things reality TV, but this seems to be a cut above.
I really can't watch reality TV and when I'm watching Top Chef, I skip the offscreen drama unless there's someone that is just outright funny, which has only happened in two seasons really. If you skip that crap, you're effectively watching a skill-based show, which is a lot more palatable.

Now you could argue things like American Idol and such are the same thing. But they're not. Those people are amateurs with a dream, which is really the spirit of reality tv - suckling that teet of fame. At least Top Chef has people who have made a career of what they're doing BEFORE they got on the show, or fully plan on doing so, win or lose.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 07:31:59 AM by schild »
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #12 on: August 27, 2009, 12:46:47 AM

Now you could argue things like American Idol and such are the same thing. But they're not. Those people are amateurs with a dream, which is really the spirit of reality tv - suckling that teet of fame.
That's the way it used to be on American Idol but not anymore. In Season 7, four of the Top 10 had previous record contracts and a 5th had released an album independently. These days AI is more about the "professional" singers who failed in their other attempts to gain fame and fortune and everything that goes with it.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: August 27, 2009, 03:26:33 AM

You seem to know shit about American Idol.

Why?

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #14 on: August 27, 2009, 04:05:05 AM

awesome, for real
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #15 on: August 27, 2009, 07:15:22 AM

I watch Big Brother. 

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: August 27, 2009, 08:05:04 AM

Episode last night was boring and predictable.  I may just stop watching for the next 6 weeks.  I think I already know who will be left by then. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #17 on: August 27, 2009, 08:27:15 AM

That's why I mostly DVR these sorts of shows.  That and the fact that the catch up bit at the beginning gets longer and longer which makes me frustrated. 

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: August 27, 2009, 09:25:22 AM

Edit: I thought this was the True Blood thread.

As much as I'd love to get in on ripping this, I can't even watch it yet. :(

F  is inviting you to start Quarto. Do you want to Accept (Alt+C) or Decline (Alt+D) the invitation?

You have accepted the invitation to start Quarto.

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
where we pour milk on the stomach alien from total recall
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #19 on: August 28, 2009, 12:40:46 PM

This season does appear to have the professionalism back. Though it was pretty easy to predict who was going off - I knew Eve wasn't going to last 3 weeks with that shit. The pierced chick who keeps fucking up the chicken may pull it out - she at least has good ideas, it's her execution that is piss poor. That Michael guy though - the braggart - he needs a stabbing.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: September 03, 2009, 08:36:14 AM

Episode last night was boring and predictable.  I may just stop watching for the next 6 weeks.  I think I already know who will be left by then. 

Rather than post something new, I thought I should repost this quote for my own good.  I need a reminder. 

Another boring and predictable episode.  14 people left, so I need to take about 8 weeks off from watching the show. 

-  Mark Twain
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: September 04, 2009, 12:21:54 AM

The early episodes are good for one thing: setting up the character and personalities of the chefs that you know will be there at the end. The people getting kicked off at this point are just red shirts.  Apparently they are booting two people off next week as the quickfire loser is getting tossed. I think next week is the one where Joel Robuchon is on which should be fun to watch.

-H.L. Mencken
Ookii
Staff Emeritus

is actually Trippy

Reply #22 on: September 10, 2009, 09:05:24 PM

ARE YOU PEOPLE WATCHING THIS SHOW?

This had to be one of the best episodes of Top Chef ever.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: September 10, 2009, 09:10:41 PM

Agreed. Cooking for Robuchon, Baloud and Keller at one sitting is pretty freaking amazing.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 09:13:01 PM by Abagadro »

-H.L. Mencken
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #24 on: September 11, 2009, 11:35:27 AM

The judges fucking hate it when you mess up the most basic types of cooking. But yeah, cooking for that group of chefs - as I explained to my brother-in-law who knows nothing about gourmet chefs, "That table is full of motherfuckers. Robuchon is the head motherfucker."

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: September 13, 2009, 06:25:53 PM

We're catching up now. I really did not like the conclusion to the Air Force episode. I agreed with the guy who got pissed off that he was held individually accountable for his Greek salad with shrimp: don't team people if you're going to break them out and tell them that their part of the team was shit. And the pasta salad was obviously not so great, but don't fucking *rage* on people for it. Just say, look, not as good, gotta eliminate, sorry. That's what should be the judging half of the professionalism--invite a bunch of people who are already successful and professional, don't insult them to no end, just say, "Sorry, in a strong field, you're less strong" once you're past the seriously hideous failures. I mean, I'd rather keep someone with a mediocre pasta salad in the mix over someone with a good clam chowder if the place they're serving is a 110 degree Western desert.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: September 13, 2009, 07:20:07 PM

don't team people if you're going to break them out and tell them that their part of the team was shit.

The show did not team them. The contestants did that on their own so they are responsible for what they did and he chose to individually cook a second dish (plus didn't have much to do with the one that was good).

-H.L. Mencken
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: September 13, 2009, 07:29:12 PM

I guess. I dunno, I just hate it when things are a bit fuzzy in the set up in these things, because I'm tired of shows where the competition is all about dicking around with the rules/psychologies. I guess in the basic terms it would have been best to get him before either of the women, because the Greek salad was pretty clearly something you could do in ten minutes with some canned/frozen stuff, whereas the pasta salad seemed, eh, not too bad. The basic challenge was a good one: what can you do in this kind of kitchen, with these ingredients? The NY Times had a column a long time ago where Pierre Franey and other chefs would just go into the kitchen of a random Times reader without prior set-up and try to cook with what they had plus a few fresh ingredients bought by the paper (e.g., work with broth, spices, grains, etc. in the pantry). Fun. That kind of thing is a good guide to who is a fully rounded chef. I just wish they could cool it on the "summoned to the principal's office" feel once they get this quality of professional involved--after you've turfed out the few who really aren't in it, chill and talk to people like they're colleagues.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: September 17, 2009, 10:24:13 AM

Who the fuck decides that it's a good idea to make a ceviche for a bunch of cowboys in 100 degree heat?   swamp poop

I hate the fact that I can't stop watching this show. 

-  Mark Twain
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: September 17, 2009, 03:01:10 PM

Who the fuck decides that it's a good idea to make a ceviche for a bunch of cowboys in 100 degree heat?   swamp poop

Not one but three of them, no less!
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #30 on: September 20, 2009, 03:33:42 PM

Not one but three of them, no less!

Well, sure, the "trio of *" method is how high-end chefs polish turds. If one of something could be good, three MUST be better, right?

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #31 on: September 21, 2009, 12:11:23 PM

That was exactly what I said when it was brought up. MMmmmmm, raw marinated fish sitting out in the sun for hours. No.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #32 on: September 23, 2009, 09:10:35 PM

If the marinade is acidic enough and it's marinated for long enough it's no longer raw.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #33 on: September 24, 2009, 09:35:40 AM

If the marinade is acidic enough and it's marinated for long enough it's no longer raw.

True - but sitting out in the hot sun will make what should be cold fish into lukewarm BLEARG.

Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: September 24, 2009, 09:39:53 AM

I'm kind of glad Ron got eliminated.  While he was entertaining and I enjoyed his calling for swords and laying down voodoo protections against snakes it was obvious that he was in way over his head.

I'm betting on Michael and the always looking like she's been put upon blond chick being the two finalists.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Top Chef Season 6  
Jump to: