Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:22:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Defying Gravity 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Defying Gravity  (Read 4321 times)
Kirth
Terracotta Army

on: August 18, 2009, 10:53:33 AM

My initial reaction to this show was that is was going to be complete garbage. After catching the first episode I was presently surprised that its not terrible.

IMDB page - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1319690/

Among its stars are Ron Livingston (Office Space, Band of Brothers) and Laura Harris (she played Daisy on the first season of dead like me). The show has a decent plot with some good Sci-Fi hooks. In Canada you can watch the first 4 episodes on watch.ctv.ca I assume in the states hulu or something has it.
Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 11:18:06 AM

Who knew there were so many naked women in space.

F  is inviting you to start Quarto. Do you want to Accept (Alt+C) or Decline (Alt+D) the invitation?

You have accepted the invitation to start Quarto.

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
where we pour milk on the stomach alien from total recall
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 11:22:01 AM

Or that they are all smoking hot?
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 11:32:35 AM

I watched the first episode.  I have NO idea what the heck is going on!   ACK!  God.  You'd think watching TV would be easier!  I DVR'd them just in case it all suddenly comes clear to me in a dream.  (it happens)

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 11:56:07 AM

I like it so far probably because I like Livingston.  Still has too much "dwelling" from its Grey's Anatomy root.  Wait, how did I miss the naked chicks?

"Me am play gods"
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 12:19:30 PM

I didn't see them either.  You must be like me.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: August 18, 2009, 12:25:33 PM

Who knows. I didn't actually watch the show. I only saw the commercials, and that was enough to have me steering clear.

However, the commercials basically consisted of naked women floating in space.

F  is inviting you to start Quarto. Do you want to Accept (Alt+C) or Decline (Alt+D) the invitation?

You have accepted the invitation to start Quarto.

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
where we pour milk on the stomach alien from total recall
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: August 18, 2009, 06:47:02 PM

I have been watching it on Hulu. I thought the first episode was just OK, it has actually gotten a little better, but it is still overall a little meh.

I think my initial reaction to the heavy-handed early stuff about "killing babies r bad" probably has a lot to do with it.

Will probably keep watching it simply because I don't have a TV at this time, and I have not found much on Hulu lately that is not already many episodes past the first one so I would come in confused.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #8 on: August 20, 2009, 12:50:45 AM

Ya, the whole anti-choice babble throughout the 1st and 2nd episode (haven't seen more yet) is really obnoxious. Its ABC (Disney), so I wondered if there is any pressure to 'represent both views' or some such. Then again, they are constantly going on about boinking like some out of control Heinlein novel, so who the heck knows.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #9 on: August 20, 2009, 03:22:45 PM

Never seen Grey's Anatomy but I like this a lot.  Deep space is great for interesting death potential but I'm not sure how the "alien in the hold" and "mutant ex-girlfriend trapped on Mars" stories are going to hold up long term.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: September 07, 2009, 04:30:49 PM

Have been watching each episode on Monday evenings after they put them on Hulu. I am actually starting to like it more than I did originally. It is not a show that I would ever think of going out of my way to see, but I still like it enough to watch it each week.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: September 07, 2009, 04:54:28 PM

It's a decent show, it's going kind of slow for me though.  They need to find and kill some aliens or something already.
schild
Administrator

Reply #12 on: September 09, 2009, 05:15:51 AM

This is very obviously Gray's Anatomy in space. Hell, I think they used the same episode for the "No Man is an Island" speech (4, but it's been a while since I've seen the first season of GA). Anyway! I'll obviously enjoy it until I forget about it, just like Gray's.

Also, the german chick is named Schilling.  DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 05:24:20 AM by schild »
Ookii
Staff Emeritus

is actually Trippy

Reply #13 on: September 09, 2009, 09:04:59 AM

It fills that "There is nothing else on TV" niche for right now.

MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #14 on: September 09, 2009, 03:05:49 PM

Agreed with all of the above.

The big 'reveal' is enough to keep me curious.  I like Livingston enough to watch it more.
Kirth
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: September 16, 2009, 01:06:30 PM

Canceled, and its for the best. this show had some interest from me at the start but it just got worse and worse each episode.
Ookii
Staff Emeritus

is actually Trippy

Reply #16 on: September 16, 2009, 01:08:43 PM

I thought all the actors were great, here's hoping they land other stuff. Goes double for Ron of course.

Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: September 21, 2009, 06:47:17 AM

Canceled, and its for the best. this show had some interest from me at the start but it just got worse and worse each episode.
Mob

I really hope they manage to finish the story in a meaningfull way.  awesome, for real

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Defying Gravity  
Jump to: