Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 11:02:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Hard Knocks - Bengals Training Camp 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hard Knocks - Bengals Training Camp  (Read 3719 times)
Margalis
Terracotta Army

on: August 17, 2009, 06:43:01 PM

I'm a sucker for these sorts of shows.

I find it funny how NFL coaching staffs are full of old obese white guys.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 06:50:47 PM

All anyone's been talking about on the radio is Mike Brown sitting in one of the meetings asking if they can move a defensive end to a tight end. "Because he can run pretty well." 

I don't know enough about football to know WHY this is a stupid ass thing to say, but from the furor it's raised I know it is.   It's also pretty damn illustrative of why the Bengals have sucked for so very, very long.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 12:06:59 PM

TE needs hands, not just running. Most guys are on D because they don't have hands.
WayAbvPar

Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 03:34:34 PM

It is a perfect example of why the Bengals have been terrible for so long. Mike Brown doesn't know what the fuck he is doing and refuses to get out of the way of those that do.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #4 on: August 20, 2009, 05:17:45 PM

TE needs hands, not just running. Most guys are on D because they don't have hands.

I think the biggest issue is that a TE needs to understand how to block and catch. A defensive end would have absolutely no idea how to block anybody, nor would he have the mental skills needed to perform on the offensive side of the ball. Hell, those guys don't even practice together.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: August 22, 2009, 02:11:50 AM

Yeah but the guy can run!

To be fair though in the 4th and Long show about the Cowboys they kept stressing how they wanted a good athlete that could contribute where needed. So the mindset that you can take a guy who is athletic and fit him in someplace may not be that out there, and may have some merit. Though saying that the guy can run and leaving it at that is probably silly.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #6 on: August 23, 2009, 06:40:08 PM

The only sport I can think of where there are roles for "utility" players that can fill many roles is probably baseball. Maybe soccer, but they just call them midfielders. Football is just too highly specialized and focused on every person on the field doing their small job perfectly.

Arnold
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: August 23, 2009, 09:03:30 PM

The only sport I can think of where there are roles for "utility" players that can fill many roles is probably baseball. Maybe soccer, but they just call them midfielders. Football is just too highly specialized and focused on every person on the field doing their small job perfectly.

In basketball, some players can play multiple positions.  Guys, like LeBron James and Ron Artest are capable of playing 4 of the 5 positions.  Now they won't play some of those positions for many minutes, but based on what lineup is on the floor they can rotate to various roles.

Of course, the list of people who can play 3 positions is even longer, and when you get to two positions it's huge.  Lots of guys can play small forward/shooting guard or point guard/shooting guard.  Lots of centers log time at power forward, and there are power forwards who are quick enough to play small forward at times.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #8 on: August 23, 2009, 11:14:13 PM

I'm not schooled in basketball, but they seem to shift dynamically around a lot on the court. I can see how people could do different things as they all have to cover the whole thing. It doesn't seem to be the same as football and baseball where you are a clearly defined X, and you are never moving outside of this Y space barring a major issue.

Maybe I'm missing something on the game, but it reminds me a bit of hockey in that regard. Wingers that could play center, defense that could move shift over, etc.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: August 24, 2009, 12:04:31 PM

Most guys are on D because they don't have hands.

I'd argue that defensive players are a different breed.  Defense has to think and react while offense need to do what they're told.  My opinion as an ex d-back may be biased here.

I have a couple of friends that played TE in the NFL and the mantra was good blocker first, receiver second.  I'm sure this hasn't changed much as few TE's ever become elite receivers. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: August 24, 2009, 12:59:13 PM

It actually seems to be shifting somewhat in today's pass-happy offenses.  You actually have a handful of pretty good receiving tight ends these days.  The days of being a one dimensional blocking TE may be coming to an end.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: August 24, 2009, 01:36:01 PM

It actually seems to be shifting somewhat in today's pass-happy offenses.  You actually have a handful of pretty good receiving tight ends these days.  The days of being a one dimensional blocking TE may be coming to an end.

I agree to a point, but still contend that blocking is primary.  If you want a receiver, run a 3 WR set and have three guys on the field with 4.3 speed and a 36" vertical leap.   

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: August 24, 2009, 01:38:11 PM

Sorry, yes, I didn't mean to imply that it was going to be a pass-first deal, only that it is trending in that direction.  TEs need to be blockers.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #13 on: August 24, 2009, 05:51:54 PM

Most guys are on D because they don't have hands.
I'd argue that defensive players are a different breed.  Defense has to think and react while offense need to do what they're told.  My opinion as an ex d-back may be biased here.
That has been the stereotype of cornerbacks, though (not the D as a whole). I.e. wannabe receivers without good enough pass catching skiils. Strong safeties are a different story (they just like hitting people) and free safeties have more of that D mentality (aka "the last line of defense"). And of course there are well-known exceptions to the CB stereotype like Rod and Charles Woodson and Deion Sanders who just prefer/preferred to play D.
Arnold
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: August 25, 2009, 10:25:49 AM

I'm not schooled in basketball, but they seem to shift dynamically around a lot on the court. I can see how people could do different things as they all have to cover the whole thing. It doesn't seem to be the same as football and baseball where you are a clearly defined X, and you are never moving outside of this Y space barring a major issue.

Maybe I'm missing something on the game, but it reminds me a bit of hockey in that regard. Wingers that could play center, defense that could move shift over, etc.

A lot of what defines a player and their position is their ability to defend against the opposing team.  In the NBA, man on man defense is used most of the time (zone defense used to be illegal!).
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: August 25, 2009, 11:00:55 AM

The better explanation, in my opinion, is that in sports like basketball, soccer and baseball (albeit to somewhat varying degrees) don't have as great a distinction in terms of the skills required to played them.  If, for example, you are an amazing dribbler, shooter and passer, are quick and have a good leaping ability...those skills will help you in the sport of basketball regardless of the position you play.  You can't usually generalize the skills of a football player in the same way.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Hard Knocks - Bengals Training Camp  
Jump to: