Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:58:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Lord of the Rings Online  |  Topic: Where do I buy COAL 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Where do I buy COAL  (Read 2704 times)
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

on: August 16, 2009, 10:02:38 AM

>_<

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, 10:46:00 AM

You mean the new improved 'Lump of Coal' Suppliers have it, as do I think Expert Metalsmiths.

Hooray for name changes to make things harder to find.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2 on: August 16, 2009, 06:54:26 PM

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 08:57:33 AM

Hooray for name changes to make things harder to find.

Yeah, this is one where I have to go against the (presumed on my part) RP/immersion thing. I want coal, I should be able tot look under "coal." I shouldn't have to figure out what "item" of coal it's been named.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 09:46:31 AM

I often wonder, as a web developer, why developers of games and desktop applications are so slow to add freetext filters. It's one of the first types of search that get onto a site, and one of the last to get into an application. Easy to implement, simple to use and yet really powerful and best of all, everyone knows how they work.

In Turbine's defense, there -is- one in the crafting panel, but it should be a standard UI element in every dialog that lists something, even bags.

- I'm giving you this one for free.
- Nothing's free in the waterworld.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #5 on: August 17, 2009, 01:02:32 PM

I wondered later if there was a text search, however I only wondered this after I realized that the item I wanted was on the vendor and that it still contained the pattern /coal/.  Previously I had simply scrolled down to the C items.  For wax, I just scrolled to the bottom.

I'd like to think that there was a technical reason for this change.  I'd also like it if the Lorebook had a link from the old item name to the new page, instead of just dieing.  Of course, I suppose if you look in any recipe calling for it, the text now says "Lump of Coal"....

sidereal
Contributor

Reply #6 on: August 28, 2009, 08:58:17 PM

I'd like to think that there was a technical reason for this change. 

Nah.  I'm guessing someone with too much free time decided to implement a policy where all of the items had quantized names instead of collective names.  Maybe so they can pluralize them easier (20 Lumps of Coal vs 20 Coals)

THIS IS THE MOST I HAVE EVERY WANTED TO GET IN TO A BETA
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #7 on: August 29, 2009, 09:00:03 AM

The pluralization would be a technical reason, however they have some complex pluralization set up already.  I'm going with "I think it will look nicer" as the reason.

Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: August 29, 2009, 10:04:41 AM

It's definitely for cosmetic reasons. The plural form is entered manually when the item is created anyway. Writing phrase-scoped, commercial-grade pluralization is seriously hard, even for something as superficially simple as English. It would be murder to localize such an algorithm.

- I'm giving you this one for free.
- Nothing's free in the waterworld.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Lord of the Rings Online  |  Topic: Where do I buy COAL  
Jump to: