Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:44:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  But is it Fun?  |  Topic: Uncharted - Naughty Dog - PS3 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Uncharted - Naughty Dog - PS3  (Read 26332 times)
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #35 on: May 21, 2010, 04:50:43 PM

Playing through it now, on the recommendation of the "what should I play next?" thread, and I'm seeing merit in the stuff posted above. Even with my brain in "adventure movie mode", I'm often wondering "how the fuck did they get in/up there?" I'm not finding the combat difficult (yet?), I'm actually finding the combat a little boring. I'm not a massive fan of the platforming either, but it's okay.

Graphically, it's a beautiful looking game, the characters are pretty decently done so far and the dialogue is good for a videogame (sure, they're archetypes, but I don't hate them or want to stab my ears with a spoon when they talk). Some of the set pieces are indeed very cool - like the waterfall crossing sequence - though I still find myself thinking "how the fuck did they get there and there?"

So far at least, the game is disappointing. In that it's good, but not great. Which is what I was expecting for some reason.

I played through and beat Uncharted a few days before Uncharted 2 came out - then I played and beat Uncharted 2. The difference is night and day with how much they learned, and how much of a better game it is.

You owe it to yourself to play 2 and not give up after this one.

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #36 on: May 21, 2010, 05:11:00 PM

Nod. Part 2 is going Platinum in a week or two, so I'll look into it sometime after that. Main issue with Uncharted so far is that it's not "sticky" for me - I'm not drawn back to play more of it so much as I'm going to make myself keep playing it so I can finish it.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #37 on: June 13, 2010, 10:05:52 PM

Finshed Resistance, and so decided to get back onto this. I don't enjoy the shooting sequences that much (console controls) but it really is a beautiful looking game, especially after the grey of Resistance. I was really impressed by the jetski sequence where you go against the current. For some reason it just really worked for me. Even without enemies. A little more 3d churn in the water would have made it perfect.

Azazel
Contributor

Reply #38 on: June 29, 2010, 04:51:03 AM

Finished this. Hated the final boss sequence - I hate QTE's based on "press X to NOT DIE INSTANTLY", and I'd have much rather have watched the cinemas than had my eyes aimed at the bottom left corner of the screen to see what button to press next. It wasn't the hardest QTE ever or anything, but it still sucked.

The ending itself though, was fun. The story is pure pulp videogame rubbish, but the characters were voiced and designed/animated well enough that they were the best part of the entire game for me, since the shooting was merely okay, and I'm no huge fan of 3-D platforming. Part 2 arrived just a few days ago, so it's next on the PS3 list.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #39 on: June 29, 2010, 07:02:59 AM

I think you may end up liking Uncharted 2 a lot.  It improves on basically everything from the first.  Don't let the first segment fool you, it feels like there's a lot less platforming.

-Rasix
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #40 on: June 29, 2010, 08:55:42 AM

I hope so. The first one was an odd beast. I found the platforming and shooting merely okay, but it was visuallty very well done and had a very well done "feel", as well as the aforementioned likable characters. I can't see myself replaying it, or going back to unlock trophies or trying to pick up the little trinkets and so forth, but I'm glad I played it and would recommend that other PS3 owners at least rent or borrow it to play through. I don't regret buying it as a cheap purchase, either.

edit - fuck. It took me over a month to play through it once. ACK! Not playing it exclusively, mostly in short sessions, and not even playing every day. But still.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 09:06:48 AM by Azazel »

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  But is it Fun?  |  Topic: Uncharted - Naughty Dog - PS3  
Jump to: