Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:57:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Browser-Based Titles  |  Topic: Questy Quest (QQ) (On Facebook) (By the way, I'm the Writer, >_>) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Questy Quest (QQ) (On Facebook) (By the way, I'm the Writer, >_>)  (Read 25837 times)
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #70 on: August 14, 2009, 11:08:22 AM

And here I thought it was because someone couldn't be arsed to write different text for different weapon types.   awesome, for real

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: August 14, 2009, 11:23:35 AM

Well I mean like, linking the friend-add dialog to Locke's Heart, so you can add friends straight from there instead of (and in addition to!) clicking the "Party" link. But that might be TOO spammy.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
schild
Administrator

Reply #72 on: August 14, 2009, 11:26:51 AM

There's a fine line between annoying, spammy, and Well-Designed. It's a curvy, impossible line.

That said, the bigger issue - no one has made a facebook game where people simply WANT to invite others, so it's become a silly virality design decision. We'll see it for another generation or two of games on facebook until someone really breaks the mold with something EVERYONE wants to play. I have some ideas for what that sort of thing might be, where invites can be totally optional, but we're not there yet. No one is.
Stephen Zepp
Developers

InstantAction

Reply #73 on: August 14, 2009, 12:17:31 PM

Why the hell am I bludgeoning things to death with the butt end of my crossbow instead of shooting them in the face with the pointy end?
Because it's hilarious.

And it is :) I have to admit I didn't expect that level of humor--nice work man!

Reminds me of some of the very old text-ish RPG/Adventure games from the mid 90's--Spellcasting 101, XXXQuest stuff.

Rumors of War
FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: August 14, 2009, 07:29:25 PM

Error:  The requested address '/facebook/-43ef-b201-640d40835416' was not found on this server.

When selecting the meadow in the first dungeon.

After wasting all my points at the Q yesterday, I couldn't get to the meadow. But, finally had points, went to the dungeon, aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand... Worked fine.

If this wasn't what you were talking about, I'm going to play through the whole thing and see if I can finish it. That said, Facebook is a finicky bitch, so sometimes shit just breaks that's not really broken. Bugwise, on movement and such, there aren't any bugs. I've played the game extensively on the admin side. Whenever FB says "OOPS SOMETHING IS BROKEN, THE QQ TEAM IS STILL WORKING OUT KINKS" it's really "FBML is trash and we're going to blame the QQ team."

Yep, that was the part I was talking about... I haven't tried it today.

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #75 on: August 14, 2009, 08:50:48 PM

dude, the backend -- its sucking wind...
schild
Administrator

Reply #76 on: August 14, 2009, 08:54:21 PM

dude, the backend -- its sucking wind...

The server is fine. Seriously. I did all my work directly on the backend. It's the goddamn Facebook Markup Language (FBML) and how it works with facebook. It's... yea, sucking wind is a good description.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #77 on: August 17, 2009, 10:18:11 AM

It's a fun diversion.  I wish it played a bit quicker, however.  Maybe it's just because I'm low level, but I hardly use my energy much and play sessions take longer than what I'd want from a facebook game.

-Rasix
schild
Administrator

Reply #78 on: August 17, 2009, 10:20:41 AM

It's a fun diversion.  I wish it played a bit quicker, however.  Maybe it's just because I'm low level, but I hardly use my energy much and play sessions take longer than what I'd want from a facebook game.
I agree. But this was released 4 months before I got there. I'm just the one who happens to be redoing all the content and such.
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: August 17, 2009, 12:29:08 PM

The server is fine. Seriously. I did all my work directly on the backend. It's the goddamn Facebook Markup Language (FBML) and how it works with facebook. It's... yea, sucking wind is a good description.

I think this is my only problem with webby-games, especially on FB. There's so much potential for so much stuff, but the clunky click-and-waiting just gets so much in the way. There are a few games that utilize pulg-ins and Flash to bypass all that, but there's got to be a better solution. (Like maybe I dunno say optimizing FBML.)

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
schild
Administrator

Reply #80 on: August 17, 2009, 12:46:37 PM

Most games now, after the horrible truth of FBML was discovered, use php and/or flash in an iframe. If the QQ page ever gets rewritten that's the way well go.
schild
Administrator

Reply #81 on: August 20, 2009, 11:29:50 AM

Should have a patch out this afternoon with reworked items and abilities. Also the second zone (Locke's Heart) will be done. Let's just say there's going to be a lot of orc orphans when you finish it.
RUiN 427
Terracotta Army

Reply #82 on: August 20, 2009, 06:19:06 PM

"You chide yourself for being such a cheap whore and carry on with your day. "

I lol'ed

"There's been no energy reading of any sort on Cybertron for the past seven hundred or so stellar-cycles."
schild
Administrator

Reply #83 on: August 20, 2009, 08:28:53 PM

Patch should be in tomorrow. Not sure what happened, I was working from home this afternoon.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #84 on: August 21, 2009, 07:53:38 AM

Why doesn't your company just make Facebook Tele-Arena.  God damnit schild.
schild
Administrator

Reply #85 on: August 21, 2009, 09:41:08 AM

Why doesn't your company just make Facebook Tele-Arena.  God damnit schild.
I can't answer this question without being nostalgic.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #86 on: August 21, 2009, 02:35:41 PM

I could not see the box to enter my character name due to intrusion from the QUESTY QUEST logo, so my name is ICANTSEE, Level 1 Fizzler.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Miscreant
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: June 16, 2010, 08:35:13 PM

Facebook : Page Not Found

Is it gone?

schild
Administrator

Reply #88 on: June 17, 2010, 08:32:00 AM

Been gone for a while now.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Browser-Based Titles  |  Topic: Questy Quest (QQ) (On Facebook) (By the way, I'm the Writer, >_>)  
Jump to: