Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:04:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: blow the 16 candles out 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: blow the 16 candles out  (Read 16453 times)
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

on: August 06, 2009, 04:02:45 PM

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
WayAbvPar

Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 04:39:20 PM

If you were a teenager in the 80s he was HUGE. RIP.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 05:10:28 PM

59, geez.  Heartbreak

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 05:34:50 PM

Well, shit.

RIP

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
stu
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009, 06:12:23 PM

Dear Diary,
Jackpot!
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #5 on: August 06, 2009, 06:12:40 PM

Well, that blows.  cry

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #6 on: August 06, 2009, 07:27:15 PM

Bethany: McHenry is pretty far from Jersey, might I ask what brings you guys to Illinois?

Jay: Some fuck named John Hughes.

Bethany: "16 Candles" John Hughes?

Jay: You know him too? That fucking guy. Made this flick "16 Candles" right? Not bad it's got tits in it, but no bush. Of course Ebert over here don't give a shit about that stuff cause he's all in love with this John Hughes guy and rents every one of his movies. Fucking "Breakfast Club" all these stupid kids actually show up to detention, fucking "Weird Science" where this one chick wants to take off her gear and get down, but aw, no she don't cause it's a PG movie, and then there's "Pretty In Pink" which I can't watch with this tubby muthafucker any more, because everytime we get to the part where the red head hooks up with her dream guy, he starts sobbin' like a little eight-year-old with a skinned knee and shit. And nothing is worse then watching a fat man weep.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #7 on: August 06, 2009, 09:03:49 PM

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: August 07, 2009, 06:23:00 AM

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #9 on: August 07, 2009, 07:31:20 AM

If you were a teenager in the 80s he was HUGE.
Not if you were in a popular underground metal band. The people who used to be into that kind of shit, they're the ones who's parties we'd crash and make off with their beer and women.

Jay summed it up pretty well.
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: August 07, 2009, 07:52:23 AM

Not if you were in a popular underground metal band. The people who used to be into that kind of shit, they're the ones who's parties we'd crash and make off with their beer and women.

THERE ARE MOTORCYCLES IN MY HOUSE, GARY! I think he gave you guys props  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Brogarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: August 07, 2009, 08:03:14 AM

Wow. Something in my eye...

I grew up during the '80's and movies got me through some tough times. Tough times that I discovered from John Hughes that we all go through in some way. It made me feel better. I definitely mourn his passing.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #12 on: August 07, 2009, 08:23:59 AM

/sadf

Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: August 07, 2009, 08:54:18 AM

Save Ferris!!!

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: August 07, 2009, 09:22:22 AM

I got to be a serious John Candy fan and Uncle Buck was one of my long standing favorites. Interesting to see Hughes reference Candy...

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #15 on: August 07, 2009, 09:57:16 AM

I am shocked that Sky is once again an outlier.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: August 07, 2009, 10:56:48 AM

You know, John Hughes did a movie about that too.

RIP, John.

Over and out.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: August 07, 2009, 10:58:06 AM

I am shocked that Sky is once again an outlier.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: August 07, 2009, 11:01:07 AM

What you guys don't get is Sky's subtle irony here as that is actually a picture of him from when he was with 1984, a Van Halen coverband.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: August 07, 2009, 11:22:58 AM

WTF that was last weekend.

UNCHAINED! AND YOU HIT THE GROUND RUNNIN!
WayAbvPar

Reply #20 on: August 07, 2009, 12:57:21 PM

You know, John Hughes did a movie about that too.

RIP, John.

That may be my favorite scene from any of Hughes' movies. Craig Sheffer was just awesome as the main douche, and Koteas somehow seemed tough.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: August 07, 2009, 10:32:38 PM

Two Johns ruled my life in the 80s

John Hughes and John Cusack

Thankfully I still have one of them. It's a sad day. I am not sure any film maker will ever again experience what we got to experience. Hollywood movies that actually got us.

Btw Sky, you referencing Weird Science or Some Kind of Wonderful?

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: August 08, 2009, 08:06:20 AM

I can't beat that summation.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #23 on: August 08, 2009, 09:19:53 AM

I never got the love for John Cusack. Maybe its a New England thing.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #24 on: August 08, 2009, 10:47:22 AM

My guess is that if you go to Illinois, there's lots of John Cusack fans there too...being one of them, and since the vast majority of my friends from HS are as well. Anecdotal, I know, so maybe it only applies to Chicago/suburban Chicago.

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #25 on: August 08, 2009, 11:26:29 AM

Actually, that makes some sense to me. My sister at Northwestern took me out with her friends to see Gross Point Blank. All her friends had seen it at least one other time, and were absolutely in love with the movie.

CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #26 on: August 08, 2009, 03:18:59 PM

Cusack, Piven, and a few others got their acting starts in Chicago. So it makes tons of sense in that respect. Also, there's a Gross Pointe not too far from the NW campus.

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: August 08, 2009, 11:37:17 PM

I'm from Oklahoma and pretty much everyone I am friends with enjoys John Cusack. Perhaps it's a nerd thing, I've found that those who were nerds/geeks in High School liked him.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
stu
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: August 08, 2009, 11:59:35 PM

John Cusack is good at playing intelligent, motivated guys who always seem to be slightly lost and out of their element. I think people can relate to that.

Dear Diary,
Jackpot!
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: August 09, 2009, 02:18:24 AM

John Cusack is what I would call watchable. I've yet to see a movie he's in that was fucking terrible to watch because he was in it.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Brogarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: August 10, 2009, 10:35:54 AM

I can't beat that summation.

Agreed.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #31 on: August 10, 2009, 10:45:21 AM

I was the Ferris Beuller of my high school.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: August 10, 2009, 10:55:49 AM

Taking away all the brat pack stuff this guy seems to be responsible for a lot of movies I watched as a kid.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
stu
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: February 19, 2010, 12:28:32 PM

There's a couple good articles on John Hughes written for the current Vanity Fair.

Sweet Bard of Youth  

The Secret, Pseudonymous, Fiction-Writing After-Career of John Hughes  

Dear Diary,
Jackpot!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: blow the 16 candles out  
Jump to: