Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:29:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Game Design/Development  |  Topic: Timeshare MMOG 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Timeshare MMOG  (Read 2780 times)
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

on: August 06, 2009, 12:06:22 PM

I was think about how Metaplace just isn't going work for amateurs to build their own MMOG. So here is my idea:

So at the base would be a kit to build a tiny little online game.  When the user is happy with their little game, they hit the publish button.  There little game goes into rotation with all the other little games in that "Small Fry" league. As people play, the user's gamewill be rated for desirable criteria (popularity, efficiency, critical acclaim, etc). Periodical the very good games will be promoted to next league and the very bad will be disabled.  In the next league the user's game kit is expanded more.  More customizability, more resources, more rotation time.  Again they compete with others in the new league.  The cycle would continue several more times.  Eventually this would lead to great, popular, and novel MMOGs which are up all the time.

Money wise, I'd go with a small flat fee, to start a world. Premium accounts with perks.  Profit sharing for successful worlds.  It would seek to build a positive feedback cycle to build new games.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 01:42:34 PM by tazelbain »

"Me am play gods"
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 01:00:44 PM

In theory I like the concept.  However, what is to keep goons from rating the shitting dick nipple (exaggeration for effect) MMO from winning by landslide?

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 02:25:42 PM

Voting is nearly worthless. Besides the exploit issue, voting seems to have a "politeness" issue where people give everyone high scores to be nice.  If there was a direct voting  mechanism, it wouldn't be a major variable in deciding if a world is "good".  What would be important is measuring and rating how the users interact with the game.

"Me am play gods"
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 03:31:51 PM

There are ideas which work in small, simple games that don't scale in large and complex ones. The opposite is also true. At the low end, clever ideas and executions carry a lot of weight. At the high end, patience and dedication reign. Games as elaborate as MMOGs are unlikely to benefit from a stair-step development process. Each new idea has to be integrated with each previous system. Every time. Maintaining fun and user satisfaction as the project progresses would be brutal.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Game Design/Development  |  Topic: Timeshare MMOG  
Jump to: