Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:23:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2009/2010 Football (Soccer) Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2009/2010 Football (Soccer) Thread  (Read 114117 times)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #490 on: May 03, 2010, 09:11:43 PM

Looking forward to the Spurs/City game. It's the last EPL game I care about the results from this season. Whether United or Chelsea win the title, it'll still go to a team of Douchebags.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Bokonon
Terracotta Army

Reply #491 on: May 04, 2010, 10:01:04 AM

You guys better not steal Hodgson away this summer... Though honestly, big team status aside, I think Hodgson knows moving to Liverpool would only hurt him, especially if he wants the England job after Capello. With Liverpool in general disarray, plus the added expectations from the supporters, the shine is going to rub off real quick on Sir Woy's reputation if he moves.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #492 on: May 04, 2010, 02:32:38 PM

At this point, I'd take Neil Lennon for Liverpool over Rafa. Or Tony Mowbray, I hear he's not busy these days.

sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #493 on: May 05, 2010, 05:56:42 PM

I am so happy right now.

But now I want Spurs to go for the kill. Beat Burnley, Arsenal lose and nab third.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #494 on: May 05, 2010, 08:20:37 PM

I'd love to see Arsenal drop to 4th. I was also glad to see that Peter Crouch, a man Liverpool sold away, scored the goal that put Spurs into the Champions League. How's that transfer policy working out for you, Rafa, you cunt?  Ohhhhh, I see.

Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #495 on: May 06, 2010, 06:23:39 AM

I'm delighted for Spurs was a great game. Yeh haha Crouchy sure stuffed that to Rafa red face.

How about this for a mad referee decision?

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
WayAbvPar

Reply #496 on: May 06, 2010, 08:58:13 AM

Wow that sucks. But to be fair to the refs most divers go down like they got hit by sniper fire, so a heart attack would look much the same.  Ohhhhh, I see.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Mr_PeaCH
Terracotta Army

Reply #497 on: May 08, 2010, 09:49:55 AM

I am so happy right now.

But now I want Spurs to go for the kill. Beat Burnley, Arsenal lose and nab third.

CHEERS!  (And come on Fulham!)

COME ON YOU SPURS!
WayAbvPar

Reply #498 on: May 09, 2010, 08:08:55 PM

Sounders played so bad that they offered a refund to their season ticket holders, and Wigan bent over and let Chelsea rape their way to the title. What a shitty weekend.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #499 on: May 10, 2010, 03:51:36 AM

Sounders played so bad that they offered a refund to their season ticket holders, and Wigan bent over and let Chelsea rape their way to the title. What a shitty weekend.

Kasey had like what, two goals slip through his fingers?

I want to see just what happened in the San Jose New York Game. I didn't expect that result.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #500 on: May 10, 2010, 11:40:56 AM

Fucking Liverpool. Couldn't even manage to score or let in a goal in their game with Hull. Battle of the Limp Dick teams. Glad I didn't watch it.

WayAbvPar

Reply #501 on: May 10, 2010, 12:09:18 PM

Kasey had like what, two goals slip through his fingers?

I want to see just what happened in the San Jose New York Game. I didn't expect that result.

The first one was really bad...he dove and it tailed back into him and he just got his fingertips on it. He makes that save 99/100. The other 3 (jesus) were a combination of piss poor marking and LA (and Landon Donvan in particular) just being really fucking good. If Donovan plays like that next month in SA i like our chances to make some noise. He was lethal.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #502 on: May 26, 2010, 11:09:51 AM

23-man roster is out.

Forwards
Some big gambles here, I love the picks. Fuck Ching. Dunno who Findley is but love taking Gomez and Buddle, its still going to be Jozy's show and he'll need to step it up for the USMNT to get out of group. I still wish Davies was along for the ride even if he never touched the field, we're going to miss him more then any other player I suspect.

Midfield
I'm resigned to the idea that keeping DMB was not stupid. That really pains me but its possible we'll need his speed and service and some point and sadly we can't get it anywhere else. Maurice Edu will make this the best midfield we've had for quite some time. I hope Ricardo Clark has sharpened his skills and gotten a bit smarter, I really liked him last time the national team was playing. I hope the Torres starts against Turkey, I think he is what we need more of (intelligent calm and creative ball control and passing) in our midfield but he never seems to get a chance.

Defense
Gooch looks bad, but I guess the chance of having him is better than taking some no name mls defender who would get smoked. Oh wait we did do that, hi Bornstein good to see you again you fucking chump. Sigh. This defense looks terrible. Gooch and the always overrated anyways Bocanegra are suspect as fuck, Jay DeMerrit had that crazy eye thing that I haven't followed up on in forever how many games did he miss and did he manage to close out the season w/ Watford getting P/T? Spector is my favorite of the bunch and thats just because while average he plays fairly smart and plays hard.

All in all, we're going to let in a goal every game and probably 2 without Howard making at least one highlight reel save, that is unless Bradley and Clark suddenly become nasty hardnosed clog up the middle cover back beast midfielders WHICH WOULD BE AWESOME. So here is hoping that Bob Bradley continues to take the risks in order to have the creativity and skill on the field to create some scoring chances and rolls w/ his hot strikers and then we just pray. I'm so fucking nervous, god I love the World Cup.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
WayAbvPar

Reply #503 on: May 26, 2010, 01:37:29 PM

Judging from what I saw last night, the defending will definitely be the weak point. Obviously some of those guys aren't going to SA, but yeesh.

Forwards-I disagree about Ching- he is not an overly skilled or scary player, but he has a nose for the ball and seems to be the only forward who can hold possession long enough to get an attack started. I like Gomez, and Buddle is hot. Glad EJ is not going- that guy has perpetually sucked. I can't believe he still gets called up.

Midfield- I agree about Edu. I was praying he would be healed and back in form in time to go. I can't stand Ricardo Clark- have hated him since his red card vs Italy (why do we always get fucked over against them? Fuck Italy), and he just doesn't impress me. He is also blocking me from being the captain of the team in FIFA World Cup 2010, so doubly fuck him! This is a deep group who should hopefully be able to hold and control the ball better than the scrubs last night. Hopefully DMB will be used as a late sub to run the right back into the ground. I don't want him starting.

Defenders- Not a fan of many people here. Onyewu looked rusty as hell; hopefully he plays his way into form in the next 2 games. Cherundolo looked the best of them last night, at least going forward. Tim Howard is going to have to play like Friedel did in 2002 to give us any chance in the knockout rounds.

2nd in group, lose to Serbia in the 2nd round. Interesting that they play a friendly with Australia and then might meet them in the 2nd round if things shake out right.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #504 on: May 26, 2010, 11:23:39 PM

I hope next month will prove you are off base about Clark, he was too stupid in that game but if he has matured and wised up a little he has the skills to be a missing piece in terms of defensive midfield and his partnership with Bradley at times has been something to write home about in the center of the pitch.

Ching added nothing, the likelihood we are playing with a huge lead where its useful to play a hold up striker is low, also he can only do that against CONCACAF level opposition not against real world powers so we are better off searching for goals which Ching never has nor will provide at this level.

I think Cherundolo, DeMerrit and Spector can all get enough of a job done to not lose the game for us but 3 out of 4 just doesn't cut it especially when you have nobody who is great enough to make up for the inevitable mistakes except Howard.  We'll need Howard to play like Friedel circa '02 to get out of group, its not even worth mentioning the knock out rounds.

Its really hard to tell how this campaign is going to go because so much is riding on a game between two very unpredictable teams who might be even more strange when facing each other in the first game in England v USA, I already feel like I'm starting to lose sleep over that game.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #505 on: May 27, 2010, 03:58:22 AM

Flying out to Philly tomorrow to see the boys off against Turkey. Hopefully the party will be a little better than the slop seen earlier this week.  Happy that Ching is staying home, as he can help the Dynamo get a few wins under their belt and I don't think he fits in with the chemistry Bradley is looking for.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #506 on: May 27, 2010, 12:27:00 PM

I think Ching is decent enough at holding up possession. But I wouldn't mind if Bradley plays with only 1 up top against speedy teams anyway, since our midfield is as strong as it is. He can always add a second striker if behind late in the game.

Our defense is definitely our weak point. Gooch has never impressed me as anything more than a physical giant with little football skill. He has a horrible time figuring out the right pass when trying to transition out of the back. I had hoped his time in Italy would help that but he got hurt. Howard however, is certainly capable of playing out of his mind when his defense lets him down. I fully believe Jolean Lescott got exposed as an average defender once he didn't have Howard behind him anymore.

WayAbvPar

Reply #507 on: May 27, 2010, 01:39:24 PM

Unfortunately, a hot keeper can only take you so far. In the NHL, a hot goalie can win you a Stanley Cup, but soccer is so team-defense dependent that there is only so much a keeper can do.

As for playing 1 player up top- That could possibly work, especially if you put Dempsey or Donovan behind him in the CF/CAM spot. Donovan is so good on the wings that I would hesitate to move him inside, unless DMB has actually seen the light and can be useful down the wing. Or Holden, who has really impressed me in the past year or so.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #508 on: May 27, 2010, 02:01:57 PM

Holden is still recovering from a broken leg, so I don't expect him to start much. That's what you get for signing with Bolton.  why so serious? I don't think Beasley can do enough for 90 minutes to make a difference. If I were to go one up top, I'd leave Donovan and Dempsey on the wings (Luckiest man alive), and go with 3 mids like Clarke, Bradley and Feilhaber, allowing Bradley and Feilhaber to switch off making attacking midfielder runs. Maybe move Torres or Edu in one of those slots as form permits.

sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #509 on: May 27, 2010, 03:04:11 PM

I think it was the Gaffer from EPL Talk half seriously positing a version of Man U's Rooneyless Fuck Berbatov 4-6-0
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #510 on: June 03, 2010, 11:12:39 AM

Strike up the band, bitches... the wicked witch is dead!

I'm fucking ecstatic. Fuck off to Italy please, and take Lucas with you. Liverpool can only be improved by this.

WayAbvPar

Reply #511 on: June 03, 2010, 11:43:09 AM

Liverpool would be even more improved by deporting all the scousers  awesome, for real

sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #512 on: June 03, 2010, 04:31:30 PM

Guys, go to a national team game, supporters section.  it's like a cross between the Fourth of July or Joe Cain Day/Fat Tuesday.

Torres needs to start. his passing, his coolness under pressure, I like him.

I don't hold Spector under as much heat as i do the rest defenders who should have covered for his forward run.

Findley was the man in the second half.

Cannot wait for this shit to kick off. 

WayAbvPar

Reply #513 on: June 03, 2010, 04:39:40 PM

I went to a friendly versus Honduras in 2002. Didn't get a chance to sit in the supporters section, but it was still really fun. I was shocked by how many Honduran supporters there were.

sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #514 on: June 03, 2010, 04:48:28 PM

Next time i go to a game I'll get whoever wants to in. Be ready to sing and drink though.
Bokonon
Terracotta Army

Reply #515 on: June 09, 2010, 08:26:13 AM

Hey Haemish, what are your preferences for the new LFC manager? It seems that the Hodgson possibility is not being seen favorably by the supporters, do you agree with that?
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #516 on: June 09, 2010, 10:36:31 AM

I'd be fine with Hodgson. He made Fulham into a winner with less than Rafa had, did better in Europe too. I don't really see why he'd take the job though. Sure, Liverpool has history, but all the backroom bullshit drama and money problems they are saddled with? Why bother leaving a good job? Most of the managers I'd want don't have to take a job where they are sure to deal with so much bullshit. Hiddink, O'Neil, McLeish - these guys are comfortable and on the upswing, while Liverpool is on the downswing without some transfers that they may not have the money to make. Daglish wants the job, but trying to revive past glories 20 years on doesn't usually work out too well.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #517 on: June 25, 2010, 12:21:59 PM

Reports going around that Hodgson is going to be the man to replace Rafa at Liverpool. Sven-Gorn Erikson will replace him at Fulham. Both of these things are good news. I look forward to Sven leaving Fulham halfway through the season to drag some other international side to mediocrity, while Hodgson brings some good play back to Anfield with players worth 1/4 of the ones Rafa bought.

Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #518 on: June 25, 2010, 01:33:32 PM

Likely the best available man for the job, but he has walked into a horrible state of affairs hopefully he can make things tick. But he is definitely a lot more likeable than his predecessors.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #519 on: June 25, 2010, 01:34:59 PM

He made Fulham into a winner with less money than Rafa spent. The biggest hurdle he's going to have is convincing Torres/Gerrard/Mascherano to stay and find the funds to build from there. Without Benayoun, if one of those three go, it's going to be a LONG FUCKING SEASON.

Bokonon
Terracotta Army

Reply #520 on: June 29, 2010, 06:30:33 PM

Enjoy Sir Roy, Liverpool...
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2009/2010 Football (Soccer) Thread  
Jump to: