Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:40:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2009/2010 Football (Soccer) Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2009/2010 Football (Soccer) Thread  (Read 114102 times)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

on: August 03, 2009, 02:15:03 PM

Time for a new season of FOOTBALL!

And to celebrate, I've started up a new Fantasy Premier League for those who want to join.

Go to http://fantasy.premierleague.com/ and sign up. Pick your team and once you have that set up, join a private league. The league name is Bat Country. If you experience any trouble, just PM with your email address and I'll invite you personally.

sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 03:28:19 PM

what the hell, my annual fall coming of the drama has come early, so I should be able to halfway pay attention this time.
Xuri
Terracotta Army

몇살이세욬ㅋ 몇살이 몇살 몇살이세욬ㅋ!!!!!1!

Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 06:48:46 AM

"Join a private league

Have a code to join a league? Simply enter it in the box below and click on join league."
And then..
"Bat Country is not a valid code to join a league"
What am I missing?

-= Ho Eyo He Hum =-
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 02:14:35 PM

Hmmmm, see if this league ID works: 569418-165514

If not, PM me your email address and I'll invite you by hand.

EDIT: Bloody hell, I don't think it could have put the code in bigger letters and I missed it. The code above should do it.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 02:17:54 PM by HaemishM »

WayAbvPar

Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009, 12:19:30 PM

Yeah that code works. I know slightly more about the EPL since the last time I played this, so I am brimming with confidence  Ohhhhh, I see.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: August 05, 2009, 12:38:02 PM

sidereal
Contributor

Reply #6 on: August 05, 2009, 12:38:27 PM

Edit: Damn you!  beat me by 25 seconds!

Wonder if he'll get any playing time.

THIS IS THE MOST I HAVE EVERY WANTED TO GET IN TO A BETA
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #7 on: August 05, 2009, 12:43:13 PM

FUCK YES!

And I don't see how he couldn't get playtime at Hull. They've been begging up and down the FA for a striker and have been turned down by pretty much everyone. I think the only real option they have up front is Cousin, who fell out of favor last season, and some Derby County castoffs.

sidereal
Contributor

Reply #8 on: August 05, 2009, 12:49:55 PM

Never underestimate the ability of a non-goalie American on a non-Fulham team to collect splinters in his ass.

sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: August 05, 2009, 01:36:34 PM

Never underestimate the ability of a non-goalie American on a non-Fulham team to collect splinters in his ass.

If it wasn't for the fact that we're talking about crazy nutjob Phil Brown I'd agree with you.

One level it's the premiership, the second ... it's Hull.

so, my official stance on this is equal  DRILLING AND MANLINESS and  swamp poop
WayAbvPar

Reply #10 on: August 05, 2009, 04:08:15 PM

Well at least there is a reason to watch Hull now. And even a reason to have a Hull player on a fantasy team (I am assuming he would be dirt cheap). Hope he gets to play a lot- the US desperately needs him to come into his own before next summer.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #11 on: August 05, 2009, 09:37:08 PM

Yeah goals are still going to be hard to come by unless Dempsey goes all Frank Lampard like he did at the Confed Cup again.

USA v Mexico in a week, I'm ready now damn it.  Planning on checking out some Europa League games tomorrow and the Spanish giants showcase games this weekend.  I'd wear my Madrid Ronaldo jersey but I'm too broke to buy one.   sad

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
sidereal
Contributor

Reply #12 on: August 06, 2009, 12:47:39 AM

Wow, it turns out that FC Barcelona is better than Sounders FC.  Much to my shock!

Henry was making nicey nice with the crowd the whole pregame and postgame.  I think he really wants to be a DP here.  Probably in New York, unfortunately.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #13 on: August 06, 2009, 08:04:08 AM

Well, New York could play just Henry's thigh and still be a much improved team.

Mr_PeaCH
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: August 06, 2009, 01:15:06 PM

Wow, it turns out that FC Barcelona is better than Sounders FC.  Much to my shock!

Sounders team aside, I was very impressed by the strength of their fans; they looked and sounded great (and no stupid, mindless drumming or hornblowing).  First time I've watched them on TV all year; maybe this is well known.

COME ON YOU SPURS!
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #15 on: August 06, 2009, 01:16:12 PM

At first, I thought the game-length hornblowing was charming. Now, I just want to throat chop anyone using them. They make even watching the game on TV hard. That droning noise puts me to sleep.

sidereal
Contributor

Reply #16 on: August 06, 2009, 01:28:20 PM

Sounders team aside, I was very impressed by the strength of their fans; they looked and sounded great (and no stupid, mindless drumming or hornblowing).  First time I've watched them on TV all year; maybe this is well known.

Actually, there was a mindless hornblower standing right in front of me, and his neighbor buddy was a mindless Thunderstix banger.  And I mean really mindless.  They didn't even watch the game.  They just stared up in the air and thunderstixed and vuvuzelad.  Fucking idiot.  Thankfully, the old, grizzled Barcelona fan next to him threatened to pull his nuts out by his ears and he stopped.  Seattle fans were a little too polite.

WayAbvPar

Reply #17 on: August 06, 2009, 04:38:32 PM

It was really interesting and educational watching FCB v FCSS. The difference in quality was apparent. The biggest difference I saw was the first touch from everyone- FCB players had immediate and total control of most balls played to them, and were able to then move the ball along quickly. Seattle had to take an extra touch or two to control the ball, by which time Barca was swarming them.

Also noticed how tiny the front 6 are for FCB. Obviously the defenders for Seattle were going to be bigger, but even in midfield they seemed to tower over them. Of course Seattle proceeded to play everything on the ground to help equalize things  Ohhhhh, I see.

Barca is kind of growing on me. They are amazingly fun to watch, and seem to have a lower douche quotient than most of the other big European clubs. I will add them to the list of clubs to watch just for the pure spectacle.

sidereal
Contributor

Reply #18 on: August 07, 2009, 12:12:26 PM

Hm.  My opinion of them actually lowered.  Because:

1) Fluorescent Salmon?  Really?

2) Their ball-control game when they have a lead is boring as fuck.  It reminds me the grindy NBA play in the early 90s.  It wins but it's atrocious to watch.  Admittedly, the alternative to grindy ball-control against our scrubs was scoring 11 more goals, but they even do it against good teams.

3) After the game, Pep was supposed to talk about how great the atmosphere was and how close the MLS is to being totally really competitive with European leagues (You're this close!  For reals!) and instead he was all on about his tactics.  Something about cutting down the wing play by driving the ball to the center.  Really?  You're one of the top 3 clubs in the world and you're playing against a team that would get relegated out of the Finnish second division and you're patting yourself on the back for your tactical brilliance?  Jesus Christ.

Chelsea were much better guests.

Edit: On the other hand 4) Holy shit, Yaya Toure is big in person.  Built like a linebacker.  He made Jaqua look like my little sister.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 12:20:57 PM by sidereal »

WayAbvPar

Reply #19 on: August 07, 2009, 12:55:05 PM

Their ball-control game when they have a lead is boring as fuck

I seriously think that was them being kind to the Sounders and their fans...they probably could have scored another 3 or 4 goals if they went all out.

sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: August 07, 2009, 01:09:05 PM

GOALKEEPERS (2): Brad Guzan (Aston Villa: 5/3 SO), Tim Howard (Everton FC: 11/7 SO)
DEFENDERS (7): Carlos Bocanegra (Rennes: 21/3), Jonathan Bornstein (Chivas USA, 2/0), Steve Cherundolo (Hannover: 18/0), Jay DeMerit (Watford: 2/0), Chad Marshall (Columbus Crew: 0/0), Oguchi Onyewu (AC Milan: 16/1), Jonathan Spector (West Ham: 2/0)
MIDFIELDERS (6): Michael Bradley (Borussia Mönchengladbach: 10/4), Ricardo Clark (Houston Dynamo: 5/0), Clint Dempsey (Fulham FC: 17/4), Benny Feilhaber (AGF Aarhus: 1/0), Stuart Holden (Houston Dynamo: 0/0), José Francisco Torres (Pachuca: 5/0)
FORWARDS (5): Jozy Altidore (Villarreal: 8/5), Conor Casey (Colorado Rapids: 5/0), Brian Ching (Houston Dynamo: 15/6), Charlie Davies (FC Sochaux: 2/1), Landon Donovan (Los Angeles Galaxy: 30/11)

Wow,  Dom Kinnear has got to be wishing somebody else in MLS would be good enough to make the national team. The core of his lineup away again.

sidereal
Contributor

Reply #21 on: August 07, 2009, 01:55:29 PM

The English season hath opened.  Middlesbrough tied 0-0 at home against Sheffield United at hafltime.

Update: and a nil/nil draw!  Feel the excitement
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 02:48:02 PM by sidereal »

sidereal
Contributor

Reply #22 on: August 07, 2009, 01:57:05 PM

FORWARDS (5): Jozy Altidore (Villarreal: 8/5), Conor Casey (Colorado Rapids: 5/0), Brian Ching (Houston Dynamo: 15/6), Charlie Davies (FC Sochaux: 2/1), Landon Donovan (Los Angeles Galaxy: 30/11)

So I guess the Adu era is officially over.  FAIL.

It's cool to see Marshall and Holden in there.

sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: August 07, 2009, 02:03:35 PM

No way on gods green earth would I put freddy adu out to face mexico in Azteca at this point.he looked slow and ponderous, can't get playing time, and generally has looked like shit.

EPLtalk is standing by its story that  the early saturday morning and monday EPL games will be on  ESPN2 this year.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #24 on: August 07, 2009, 03:03:34 PM

EPLtalk is standing by its story that  the early saturday morning and monday EPL games will be on  ESPN2 this year.

In America?

Also, yeah, Adu has been absolute shit in the international games I've seen him in. Totally outclassed.

sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: August 07, 2009, 04:08:46 PM

yes, in america.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #26 on: August 07, 2009, 06:24:56 PM

GOALKEEPERS (2): Brad Guzan (Aston Villa: 5/3 SO), Tim Howard (Everton FC: 11/7 SO)
DEFENDERS (7): Carlos Bocanegra (Rennes: 21/3), Jonathan Bornstein (Chivas USA, 2/0), Steve Cherundolo (Hannover: 18/0), Jay DeMerit (Watford: 2/0), Chad Marshall (Columbus Crew: 0/0), Oguchi Onyewu (AC Milan: 16/1), Jonathan Spector (West Ham: 2/0)
MIDFIELDERS (6): Michael Bradley (Borussia Mönchengladbach: 10/4), Ricardo Clark (Houston Dynamo: 5/0), Clint Dempsey (Fulham FC: 17/4), Benny Feilhaber (AGF Aarhus: 1/0), Stuart Holden (Houston Dynamo: 0/0), José Francisco Torres (Pachuca: 5/0)

Wow,  Dom Kinnear has got to be wishing somebody else in MLS would be good enough to make the national team. The core of his lineup away again.

That doesn't look too bad as long as Marshall, Holden and Casey are on the goddamn bench for 90 minutes.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: August 07, 2009, 06:29:15 PM

think marshall and holden get cut. Casey sits on the bunch unless we need the "big guy in the center of the box on corners because we're losing" sub.
WayAbvPar

Reply #28 on: August 10, 2009, 12:06:25 PM

Anyone watch the Community Shield game? I don't why, but I am still surprised at the utter fucking incompetence of referees. Also, Michael Ballack is a huge cunt and I hope he snaps something in the first week and has to retire.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #29 on: August 10, 2009, 12:29:17 PM

Yeah, I thought the game itself was good, but the ref was shit. I can't figure out why he stopped the game entirely when Ballack went down - but then just a few minutes later he lets Ballack get away with a fucking shoulder check right in front of him. Despite all that, it was still worth watching. Poor Nani - scores a great goal, and starts to look like he might be worth having, then hurts his shoulder and might be out a few weeks.

As for Ballack, I'm still trying to figure out what use he is to Chelsea. He's never lived up to the money.

sidereal
Contributor

Reply #30 on: August 10, 2009, 12:43:11 PM

Is there a rule for stopping play when a guy is down and giving the ball to his team without calling a foul?  NO THERE IS NO RULE FOR THAT.  Ass.

I hate ManU slightly less than I hate Chelsea, so I was just rooting for injuries and crushed egos.  I think the ManU backup keeper is properly destroyed, and Ballack probably has some injury comeuppance due, so all's well.

WayAbvPar

Reply #31 on: August 10, 2009, 12:47:36 PM

Yep, Foster was TERRIBLE. Kuszczak for Birmingham, please SAF.

Growing sense of dread for Wednesday. Azteca is a hellhole.

sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: August 10, 2009, 03:33:21 PM

No dread. no fear, you're just playing into their hands.

so what if there's no ac in the visitors locker room... so what if   the mexican federation  will probably have people take huge crowning  dumps in select parts of the locker room and  the players hotels. so what if they're going to take t shirt launchers into the stands  and  use them to launch urine bombs tied to D Cell batteries. It's going to be fun
sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: August 12, 2009, 08:29:23 AM

Game Day. I am stoked.

75 degrees and  40% chance of thunderstorms in Mexico City.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #34 on: August 12, 2009, 09:02:07 AM

Is the game on TV anywhere?

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2009/2010 Football (Soccer) Thread  
Jump to: