Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 09:01:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2009 College Football 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2009 College Football  (Read 131278 times)
Stephen Zepp
Developers

InstantAction

Reply #105 on: September 04, 2009, 05:21:44 PM

So as some of you may know--I live in Eugene, and while I'm not attached at the hip or anything, I am a Ducks fan.

Blount is a cocky, arrogant asshole--both on and off the field. For a football player,that's sometimes accepted as part of the deal, but he has always taken it way overboard.

Some things that the press haven't really been reporting:

--he was suspended from the team in the spring for refusing to attend classes. Subsequently re-instated.
--he was suspended during fall practice for failing to show up to practice, subsequently re-instated.
--he was home on emergency leave sometime in the last two weeks (I think it was last weekend, but I'm not 100% sure) due to a death in the family.
--Sports Illustrated quoted him out of context, and blew it all out of proportion. He said what every single person on the team felt, and in fact every single fan in all of Eugene felt for what Boise did to Masoli last year (the late hit that took him out of the game--we mostly feel that guy should have been banned out of the NCAA permanently for what he did). I don't even think SI meant it to be a "here's some negative press"--I think they (as did we all) expected him to back it up.

Chip Kelly pulled the same idiotic play calling in the first three games of last year as he did this game. Note to Chip: we're an option offense. You should know. Our offensive line also sucked, and in my opinion Masoli and Blount took more heat in the press for performing badly than they should have. Sure, it would have been great if they dealt with it during the game and overcame the issues, but an RB can't do dick if the offensive line doesn't give him any lanes. Masoli made some really bad decisions as well, but he wasn't calling the same damn plays every single down either.

I feel for Blount in some ways, and this has effectively destroyed not only his NCAA career, but dropped him plenty of notches in any NFL possibilities he had (if he has any left at all). I'm a relatively even tempered person in the big picture (internet notwithstanding), and I would have probably cold cocked that dude myself in that situation--but it doesn't excuse the behavior either.

Rumors of War
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #106 on: September 05, 2009, 12:08:15 PM

Regardless of the outcome of the game, that was a pretty impressive 99 yard TD drive by Navy just now.

EDIT: Heh, way to not take the 3 to make it a 3 possession game Tressel. No wonder you get your ass beat every time you pay someone decent.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 12:37:58 PM by Abagadro »

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Montague
Terracotta Army

Reply #107 on: September 05, 2009, 12:42:50 PM

Regardless of the outcome of the game, that was a pretty impressive 99 yard TD drive by Navy just now.

EDIT: Heh, way to not take the 3 to make it a 3 possession game Tressel. No wonder you get your ass beat every time you pay someone decent.

That just shows how absolutely wretched OSU's offensive line is. When you outweigh the opposing line by 50-60 lbs per man and can't get 2 yards you suck. I don't know what kind of pics Jim Bollman has of Tressel but they must be good. He wouldn't have lasted one season in the SEC.

And yeah Ohio State's defense sucks as well. And they probably win the Big 10 again this year. Sigh...

When Fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross - Sinclair Lewis.

I can tell more than 1 fucktard at a time to stfu, have no fears. - WayAbvPar

We all have the God-given right to go to hell our own way.  Don't fuck with God's plan. - MahrinSkel
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #108 on: September 05, 2009, 12:45:16 PM

Heh, pick off with 3 minutes to go down 8. This game is getting very interesting.

EDIT: Oh man.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 12:47:17 PM by Abagadro »

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #109 on: September 05, 2009, 01:04:52 PM

Heh, pick off with 3 minutes to go down 8. This game is getting very interesting.

EDIT: Oh man.

OSU will drop to 8th next week. That was horrible. Tenn looked strong against that high school team though.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #110 on: September 05, 2009, 04:21:07 PM

Paelos is off kicking a cat somewhere.  UGA has given the game away thus far. 

What an ugly game.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #111 on: September 05, 2009, 04:39:34 PM

God, I leave the sports bar to pick up a grill at halftime, come home to watch the last minute online and I see that Illinois again gets trounced. Everyone will in town will go on treating Zook like he walks on water too.

Of course, they get to beat up on Illinois State next week, and everyone will say "Thank god we don't have to play Mizzou the first game of the season anymore."

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #112 on: September 05, 2009, 04:56:17 PM

Jesus ESPN are you going to force me to listen to that Kenny Chesne crap 25 times a day just to watch some college football?

-H.L. Mencken
sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #113 on: September 05, 2009, 05:42:51 PM

Jesus ESPN are you going to force me to listen to that Kenny Chesne crap 25 times a day just to watch some college football?

Don't you have a game to go to?

If you bailed on that I will be crushed. I so wanted to go to RioTinto but have no money for a one day trip to SLC.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #114 on: September 05, 2009, 06:13:41 PM

Ya, didn't end up putting it together so I'm not there.

-H.L. Mencken
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #115 on: September 05, 2009, 06:32:09 PM

Could Max Hall be any bigger of a douchebag?

-H.L. Mencken
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #116 on: September 05, 2009, 07:09:54 PM

Yup.  I wondered what the song ESPN/ABC would run into the ground this season.  I was actually wondering if it was local, but if they're showing it where you are (Utah?), then newp.  Everyone gets to hear some country.

Bama 9 VT 7.  Shouldnt even be close if McElroy could calm down a bit and hit his receivers.  He's so geeked up he's over throwing everyone by about a yard or two.
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #117 on: September 05, 2009, 07:21:52 PM

WTB QB and OL. PST.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #118 on: September 05, 2009, 08:12:51 PM

Dammit Oklahoma, do you know how insufferable BYU fan is going to be now? Fuck.

-H.L. Mencken
Terracotta Army

Reply #119 on: September 06, 2009, 07:23:31 AM

Christ LSU looked sloppy. Washington was just too far IN the game for a team supposed to go far this year. It was almost like watching the 'Bama/VT game - but at least those two teams were supposed to have a slugfest. Bama game was definitely the most entertaining as I didn't give a shit who won, but the result would end up affecting one of my favs. Miami, the door is now open (a man can dream).

Good start to the season so far. Though I am getting tired of all this talk about next week's OSU/USC game. After this first offering, why even mention this as being a good one? USC's frosh QB did not look too frosh (yes, i know..playing a cupcake with that kind of team to play on will make anyone look good) but OSU's defense getting raked by Navy? Not putting down Navy, but still...

As for the OK/BYU game... I thought I heard Nelson somewhere in the crowd as the last second ticketed off run up to the kicker and point and HA-HA.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
EWSpider
Terracotta Army

Reply #120 on: September 06, 2009, 08:58:55 AM

Ugh, as a Gators fan I have no love at all for OU, but I really hate seeing Bradford go down like that and OU lose a game because of it.  It's a reality of football, but I still hate seeing the outcome of a game affected by injury.  Hopefully Bradford can get back at it fairly quickly.

most often known as Drevik
sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #121 on: September 06, 2009, 11:29:03 AM

WTB QB and OL. PST.

I've been out of the loop a bit, but I did watch the second half of this.

Overreact much Snake?

SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #122 on: September 06, 2009, 01:20:32 PM

Me?  Overreact?  About Alabama Football?

Never.  Surely you jest.

However, you should have seen the first half, which was about when I posted that.  Our backs couldn't gain any yards, McElroy was running for his life and couldn't hit the broadside of a barn.  He overthrew 3 surefire touchdowns, and a couple more for big time gains.  At went point, he threw 9 straight incompletions to open receivers.  I was begging for Star Jackson, Thomas Darrow, or AJ McCarron
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 07:33:06 PM by SnakeCharmer »
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #123 on: September 06, 2009, 01:28:04 PM

52-13 and we only let Best carry the ball 10 times? Shit, I think we could have hit 70.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #124 on: September 06, 2009, 03:53:41 PM

52-13 and we only let Best carry the ball 10 times? Shit, I think we could have hit 70.

Yeah and that was an upset pick according to all sorts of talking heads.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #125 on: September 07, 2009, 06:54:13 PM

Paelos is off kicking a cat somewhere.  UGA has given the game away thus far.  

What an ugly game.

Joe Cox is not the man yet. A 50% completion rate for ~170 yards with a TD and a pick? That's not going to fly against a team not known for defense. The funny part is that OSU was just as shitty on offense. If you look at the box score, nobody looks good at all. You wonder how in the hell it was that much of a scoring difference. Georgia played well on the first drive and then never put their foot on OSU's neck. Here's where we lost the game:

First possession from our 20 - TD
Second possession from our 16 - 5 plays and punt
Third possession from our 34 - Holding call makes us go 3 and out
Fourth possession from our 20 - we get to the 50 and punt
Fifth possession from our 9 - 4 plays and a punt

So basically for 27 minutes of football, our defense has played well and shut out this OSU high-powered offense. However in 5 possessions we have 7 points. If Georgia could have even made 2 of those into field goals, this game has a totally different feel. Then right before the half they toss the bomb for the TD, and they get the fumble and take the lead. Georgia was done at that point. They were mentally fucked because the offense was pathetic.

Maybe he will be at South Carolina, but that's basically his last chance in my book. If we are going to lose games, I'd rather do it with a freshman who will be around next year that needs the experience.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 06:57:11 PM by Paelos »

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #126 on: September 07, 2009, 08:22:46 PM

I watched a pretty good bit of that game.  Cox seemed to get weaker as the game went on (wasn't he sick?).  Losing Sturdivant (sp?) is going to hurt.  Also, I'll never say one play cost a team a game, but when UGA got flagged for unnecessary roughness in the 4th quarter (I think), that seemed totally take the wind our of their sails.  I don't know what that ref saw, but it was a clean hit (shoulder to chest), no head to head contact.  Take that penalty away, and OSU is stopped, and the big hit turns the momentum around.  Maybe.  There were a couple bad calls that didn't go UGA's way that game, but that might just be the SEC homer in me coming out.

And with losing Sturdivant, I doubt Richt is going to put in one of your younger guys at QB to get pounded on.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #127 on: September 07, 2009, 08:44:14 PM

Cox had the flu. That's probably a good excuse for why he got weaker in the second half. That doesn't excuse how shitty he was in the first half after showing he could take the ball down the field. OSU wasn't playing that good on defense.

Also, we went from AC/DC last year to fucking Kenny Chesney and Dave Matthews? What kind of pussies did the song selection this year? That DM song they picked has absolutely nothing to do with football and sounds totally out of place.

Terracotta Army

Reply #128 on: September 08, 2009, 03:54:38 AM

Way too early to say they are back, but that was a hell of a showing from "the U" against a Fla.St. team that is supposedly back this year for a BCS bowl berth. All night I had to hear the ESPN staff basically stroke Ponder's cock all night and hear how FAST the Seminole defense was... and in the end, I liked watching Miami laugh after the replay. It was a hell of a game.

Terracotta Army

Reply #129 on: September 09, 2009, 12:48:42 PM

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4454758

BYU vaults into the top 10. There are no words for this type of silliness.

WayAbvPar

Reply #130 on: September 09, 2009, 02:00:37 PM

I hope BYU and Boise State finish in the Top 3 just to throw a monkey wrench into the whole stupid BCS thing. Playoff plskthx.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

Reply #131 on: September 09, 2009, 02:46:56 PM

I hope BYU and Boise State finish in the Top 3 just to throw a monkey wrench into the whole stupid BCS thing. Playoff plskthx.

While I would agree wholeheartedly, no way in hell Boise St. will crack the top 5 even if they win out. Their schedule is too weak.

WayAbvPar

Reply #132 on: September 09, 2009, 02:51:33 PM

They might if everyone else above them drops a couple of games!  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #133 on: September 09, 2009, 07:13:31 PM

So how badly will USC embarrass Ohio State? The spread is low at 6.5 and I'm taking USC all the way.

Terracotta Army

Reply #134 on: September 09, 2009, 08:09:45 PM

So how badly will USC embarrass Ohio State? The spread is low at 6.5 and I'm taking USC all the way.

Another shellacking - I'd be surprised if USC runs for under 300y and drops under 35pts on OSU. Maybe next year Terrelle, maybe next year

edit: double negatives removed  swamp poop
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 06:11:18 AM by 01101010 »

SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #135 on: September 09, 2009, 08:51:10 PM

Holy cow...REALLY?

I might just put a fairly sizeable bet on this game.

Edit:  Nevermind.  I'm smoking crack.
Edit again:  If you can get it at 6.5, take it.  That line is going to move come Friday.  Fuck it. 
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 09:06:17 PM by SnakeCharmer »
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #136 on: September 10, 2009, 02:20:46 AM

That line really is crazy, if you can find 6.5 bet the farm, what a stupid fucking line that is.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Montague
Terracotta Army

Reply #137 on: September 10, 2009, 10:34:20 AM

Another shellacking - I'd be surprised if USC runs for under 300y and drops under 35pts on OSU. Maybe next year Terrelle, maybe next year

Ehhh my guess is OSU sells out against the run so 300 yards will be tough. It'll be Barkley's coming out party instead.

My prediction is this game is the beginning of the end of the Tressel era, and that -6.5 is ridiculous. USC should be a 2 TD favorite at least.

When Fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross - Sinclair Lewis.

I can tell more than 1 fucktard at a time to stfu, have no fears. - WayAbvPar

We all have the God-given right to go to hell our own way.  Don't fuck with God's plan. - MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

Reply #138 on: September 10, 2009, 12:01:00 PM

Ehhh my guess is OSU sells out against the run so 300 yards will be tough. It'll be Barkley's coming out party instead.

My prediction is this game is the beginning of the end of the Tressel era, and that -6.5 is ridiculous. USC should be a 2 TD favorite at least.

While I see your point, Navy almost dropped 200y on Ohio St with OSU guarding more for the run with Navy's retarded flexboner scheme. I don't think the OSU def is what it was ever supposed to be and I doubt there will be any containment after quarter 1, not with the USC RB rotation. OSU will stack 8 in the box in quarter 1 and realize when its 21-nothing and Barkley has over 200y passing that they need to adjust. Of course, the reason they play the game is to prove me wrong.

I am actually more looking forward to week 3... soo many big games. Hopefully the U will prove they are semi-back or that they are just indian killers.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #139 on: September 10, 2009, 05:47:59 PM

It's moved to 7 for USC, but there's still not the big shift I would expect. I'm locked at 6.5, but I'd be shocked if it's not 10.5 by tomorrow night.

EDIT: Also wow, did Clemson even get off the bus? This looks like the last game they played in Atlanta against Bama.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 06:22:32 PM by Paelos »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2009 College Football  
Jump to: