Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:35:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Duo recommendation 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Duo recommendation  (Read 28664 times)
Dren
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: July 30, 2009, 12:59:38 PM

If you kill fast enough, mana is going to be an issue for every spell caster but affliction or demonology warlocks.

Why demo? I know affliction from experience, but wouldn't demo have mana issues?

My demo lock doesn't have much issue.  Through talents I get back hp while doing damage (backdraft I think.)  So I just tap and keep blasting.  I don't ever seem to run out.  The other benefit is that another talent provides constant healing and mana to my pet while blasting too.  This allows me to use my imp without worry to actively improve my dps from his DD and the buffs he gives me through talents.  Nothing ever has enough time to really damage me much.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #71 on: July 30, 2009, 01:11:47 PM

My demo lock doesn't have much issue.  Through talents I get back hp while doing damage (backdraft I think.) 

Only health back I see is Soul Leech (destro) and Siphon Life (affliction).  I suppose a build with Soul Leech could still technically be considered demo.. just don't see a lot of demo/affliction builds.  Well, at least they don't get any traction at the theorycrafting sites.

-Rasix
Vash
Terracotta Army

Reply #72 on: July 30, 2009, 01:35:46 PM

Well all Locks have life drain as a base spell, that's all the healing you need to recover from life taps/blood funnels, since your Felguard/(pet of choice) will theoretically be taking all the damage as demo.
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: July 31, 2009, 01:45:11 AM

Demonology is pretty decent for mana.  Mine generally blows up shit within an immolate and two incinerates, generally I get a hasted and shard-less soulfire on the next pull, which actually happens to be one of the heaviest hitting and most mana efficient spells in the warlock repertoire.

That being said, I was questing with a destro lock on my paladin when this survival hunter tried to gank me.  I got off a judgement and a hammer of justice and then he just fucking exploded.  The third time he got the hint and just fucked off for the rest of the night.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: August 03, 2009, 11:37:45 AM

Ok, we've decided to go with a Priest/Paladin combo.

If I speck shadow, what level will I be able to solo reasonably on the priest?  The last time I played a Priest, I gave up in the 20's because soloing was painful. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Rasix

Reply #75 on: August 03, 2009, 11:55:52 AM

I'd imagine it'd stuck until you at least get mindflay. 40 with shadowform is likely the kicker.  Wouldn't know from personal experience, I gave up on mine early.  awesome, for real

-Rasix
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #76 on: August 03, 2009, 11:56:52 AM

Mindflay is the main thing. After that its fine.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: August 03, 2009, 12:03:08 PM

So, now have you made characters yet?  I need a reason to roll another DK and rip up lowbie instances, because most of my characters are closing in on 80.
Rasix

Reply #78 on: August 03, 2009, 12:04:13 PM

Yah, just curious, but what server are you playing on?

-Rasix
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: August 03, 2009, 12:06:54 PM

Yah, just curious, but what server are you playing on?

Nazgrel on the alliance side.  

My other account got hacked, so I just found it easier to start a new account on another server.  I have a 73 hunter that I'm using as a cash bot, but playing it is boring em to tears.  If you want to duo or something, drop me a PM.  I'll play on any non-pvp server.  Playing a rejuv shaman on Venture Co ruined the pvp server thing for me.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Jayce
Terracotta Army

Diluted Fool

Reply #80 on: August 03, 2009, 12:28:57 PM

I always found soloing a priest to be fairly easy, even at the lower levels. 

Unlike some of those here, my rotation was always mind blast, SW:P, any other DOTs depending on level (devouring plague).  By that time mind flay is too truncated to do much good, so I start wanding.  Refresh shield as necessary.  Most mobs can't outdamage your shield.  That keeps fear and mindflay in the bank for emergencies. The key is to keep your wand updated, since it's a big portion of your DPS.  Also you can mana dump with mind blasts if you really need to.

If those are the only ones you cast, you'll stay pretty well off for mana with spirit tap.  Apply vampiric touch or embrace as needed. 

Witty banter not included.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #81 on: August 03, 2009, 12:31:43 PM

Thanks for the info.  Have you ever played a hunter?  It's so easy to solo with that I just wander into things without even caring.  I know that my pet can solo up to 2 yellow elites with little more than a hot and feign is a get-out-of-jail-free card. 

I'm guessing that the priest will be slower to level, but ultimately more rewarding in the end.  I also like playing classes you don't see often... so playing a priest or shaman seems to be the way to go since I can't stomach leveling another warrior.

-  Mark Twain
Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #82 on: August 03, 2009, 12:38:11 PM

Thanks for the info.  Have you ever played a hunter?  It's so easy to solo with that I just wander into things without even caring.  I know that my pet can solo up to 2 yellow elites with little more than a hot and feign is a get-out-of-jail-free card. 

I'm guessing that the priest will be slower to level, but ultimately more rewarding in the end.  I also like playing classes you don't see often... so playing a priest or shaman seems to be the way to go since I can't stomach leveling another warrior.

Female dwarf priest. You'll be nearly unique, and look freaking awesome.

The rewards come from being able to blackmail people into giving you all the gear you want.

"Who uses Outlook anyway?  People who get what they deserve, that's who." - Ard.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #83 on: August 03, 2009, 04:30:50 PM

Thanks for the info.  Have you ever played a hunter?

I have.. it's night and freaking day, esp. at low levels.  Hunter 'struggles' until 10 because it has no pet and has to melee most of the time.  After that it's such a cakewalk you feel bad for the mobs at times.   Hunter was even easier than the DK and people whine that they mow through shit, but that's all gear.   

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #84 on: August 03, 2009, 06:05:38 PM

You know what's even easier than Hunter?  Warlock.  You know what's even easier than Warlock?  Paladin.  Paladin is nigh indestructible from very, very early on but extremely non-engaging and dull.  Unless your idea of fun is to standing there auto attacking 90% of the time.

Over and out.
Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #85 on: August 03, 2009, 06:09:38 PM

You know what's easy? EVERY FUCKING CLASS. It's WoW, ffs.

"Who uses Outlook anyway?  People who get what they deserve, that's who." - Ard.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: August 03, 2009, 06:16:57 PM

Pretty much, although I did the priest first, so I didn't realise how much easier everyone else had it until I levelled a hunter, then a DK for a while. This was before Shadow was actually any good for anything much though. Nowadays, with all the nice stuff high up in the tree, I imagine levelling as priest would be pretty painless.

Keep us filled in on the progress though, always nice to hear how these things are going.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: August 03, 2009, 06:31:05 PM

Make a Radicalthon to tell us of your dungeon assailing antics.
Jayce
Terracotta Army

Diluted Fool

Reply #88 on: August 03, 2009, 06:46:15 PM

I picked up a level 23 hunter lately, and yeah it was pretty amazing.  I think I died once in about three levels, and that was because I somehow screwed up the ice trap for the second orange mob and wasn't thinking.

I personally don't like the priest all that much, because once you have a good rotation, it's the same thing every mob.  If you get too many, you just have to shelid and run (which is easy too).  I like all the options that hunters, rogues and (medium-high level) warriors have.  Usually with one of those I can pull out a victory when shit gets pretty deep.

Witty banter not included.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #89 on: August 04, 2009, 02:46:16 AM

Hunters often have that "Oh, that was Elite, no wonder it took longer to kill!" thing going for them.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #90 on: August 04, 2009, 05:50:20 AM

TBH that also happens with DK's. Or happened. "Wait, everything else already died, why is that one still alive?"

fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #91 on: August 04, 2009, 09:22:57 AM

Go Caster Druid. Resto for healing, Balance for DPS.

This, it's really viable past 40 and nice gear drops out of instances (yay for re-itemization of BRD stuff).

I dropped 1k into dual spec and I have no issues finding groups as a healer and then boomkin when solo or in a good group that doesn't need a pure healer. Main reason for boomkin is the gear is so close to healer it cuts down on having to bag two sets of gear.

Tanking druids are still very viable in dungeon running and the 3.1 changes to the way swipe works (no longer a cone but aoe) aggro generation is a bit easier on pugs where everyone attacks something different. Plus 3.2 adds the use of rage potions for druids (huzza).

Leveling both druid/pally (post 3.0) it still makes me sick at how well a pally can generate threat and pick up aggro. The downside with a druid feral spec is the total lack to keep up with a pally in a pug DPS role simply due to the design of WoTLK dungeons. Everything are trash AOE pull's which cat's swipe cannot compete with.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #92 on: August 04, 2009, 09:31:19 AM

I think that my big issue with druid is the same with hunters, rogues, and DK's;  there are a million of them.  I've been leveling a priest and so far, it's been enjoyable.  The only downside I see is that pve is using the same few abilities constantly.  I guess that's better than watching my pet solo stuff while I mine.  

I may reconsider about druid though.  Having the flexibility is a real bonus when you don't have a group to run with.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 09:36:20 AM by Nebu »

-  Mark Twain
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #93 on: August 04, 2009, 09:36:53 AM

I think that my big issue with druid is the same with hunters, rogues, and DK's;  there are a million of them.  I've been leveling a priest and so far, it's been enjoyable.  The only downside I see is that pve is using the same few abilities constantly.  I guess that's better than watching my pet solo stuff while I mine. 

Most every leveling spec is 1,2,3,4,loot at some level. Add in random lolAE pulls for a few.
fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #94 on: August 04, 2009, 10:27:13 AM

I may reconsider about druid though.  Having the flexibility is a real bonus when you don't have a group to run with.

It's a million time's better as a NE druid also.

Shadowmeld is stupidly overpowered. I don't know how many times I jumped past an alliance or horde group to kill quest NPC's  and then meld to ditch the adds. Luring horde into mob's then shadowmelding to dump the aggro on them and hitting lifebloom + rejuvenation then letting the npc's kill them for durability damage is comical.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #95 on: August 04, 2009, 10:33:05 AM

I know this will sound stupid, but I refuse to play elves in these games.  If I have to stare at a character model for hours on end, it has to be something I can stomach.  I think this is a throwback to my EQ days.  It's a big part of my not playing a druid on Alliance side.  I hate playing alliance to begin with and am only doing ti to placate my friend.  Having to play an elf while on alliance is just too much.

I may try a horde druid for the hell of it. 

-  Mark Twain
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #96 on: August 04, 2009, 11:38:28 AM

If you're feral, you don't have to look at your elfness very often.

God Save the Horn Players
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #97 on: August 04, 2009, 01:23:39 PM

Don't worry.  The new softer, more domesticated looking NE cat form with their cute little dangly collar, matching bracelets and shrunken claws and saber teeth will be a constant reminder that Night Elves are not 7 foot tall muscular amazon women but instead are the typical stereotype of cute, bouncy elven trollops.

Over and out.
Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #98 on: August 04, 2009, 01:48:57 PM

Dude, all elves are stereotypes. Always. From the midget elves that work for santa claus to the muscular purple skinned freak hippies of wow. Elves are always stereotypes.

Now, dwarf women...

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #99 on: August 04, 2009, 02:28:56 PM

Don't worry.  The new softer, more domesticated looking NE cat form with their cute little dangly collar, matching bracelets and shrunken claws and saber teeth will be a constant reminder that Night Elves are not 7 foot tall muscular amazon women but instead are the typical stereotype of cute, bouncy elven trollops.
WHARRGARBL!

I know I'm about to get a big slap in the face over this, but did you have to remind me?

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #100 on: August 04, 2009, 02:51:34 PM

Don't worry, I've never considered you dangerous.

*runs a few states farther away*
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #101 on: August 04, 2009, 03:05:28 PM

Never, all I ask is that I can be present when you beat up Kild.  I'll deny everything if questioned. Grin

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #102 on: August 04, 2009, 05:34:50 PM

Whatever, my druid looks rad!

God Save the Horn Players
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #103 on: August 04, 2009, 06:23:07 PM

Druid is the only reason that I would play an elf. You can be a tank, and DPS, and a healer, and you can bypass content by prowling. It's the ultimate solo class, not least because you can do everything a dozen different ways so that you don't fall asleep pressing the same button sequence over and over for 50 levels.

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #104 on: August 04, 2009, 06:40:48 PM

And if all that wasn't enough, there are a TON of quests you can cheese via flight form - a lot of loot/gather type quests can be done without even leaving flight form, and the fact that it is an instant cast makes a lot of other quests easy as well.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Duo recommendation  
Jump to: