Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 09:33:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: World of Warcraft 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: World of Warcraft  (Read 92342 times)
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #315 on: June 12, 2016, 03:15:54 PM

That's what I expected but thought it was just my own bias against WowLOLore. Nice to have it somewhat independently confirmed.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #316 on: June 12, 2016, 03:51:21 PM

Saw an internet review where there was one guy who was saying it was fantastic and admitting he was a complete WOW fanatic who had all the books and shit, and another guy who knew nothing and who said he had no idea what was going on in this movie and it was a boring, confusing mass of shit.

It seems if you already know everything about WOW you will like the movie fine, if you dont there is little to know in movie exposition to draw outsiders into the movie.

Hic sunt dracones.
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #317 on: June 12, 2016, 05:08:41 PM

The guy who said it was a "confusing mess of shit" had to have been a retard. Not in the generic insult sense of the word, like they're actually severely developmentally delayed. This was not a complicated movie. If you could follow something like Mars Attacks, you could follow this movie just fine. I pride myself on knowing 0% of Warcraft lore despite having played all the RTS games and WoW since launch. Literally the only things I recognized were names of places and Khadgar. And I only know about Khadgar because he's in like 180% of the content in WoD. You don't nee to know anything about Warcraft to follow this movie. Anymore than you need to know the rich and deep Transformers to watch the Bey movies. Frankly, you're better off not knowing it because then you don't know that the Decepticons are closer to being the "good guys" than the Autobots are.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #318 on: June 12, 2016, 06:58:21 PM

It's not as bad as it's being made out to be but it sure isn't on the level of Lord of the Rings or Game of Thrones.  I liked the scenes involving the Orcs the best and I was surprised how much emotion was able to be displayed on their cgi faces.  The actors they got to play the humans were pretty forgettable and none of their scenes were noteworthy in any way.  The tacked on love interest bullshit was completely unnecessary and dragged those scenes down even further.  I enjoyed it but it was very inconsistent and uneven.  Something I didn't know was it was directed by David Bowie's son, Duncan Jones.

Edit: So it looks like it has officially bombed in the US yet is very popular in China.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2016/06/12/box-office-warcraft-bombs-in-america-outgrosses-star-wars-in-china/#10b9599b3f45 
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #319 on: June 12, 2016, 07:46:42 PM

Fuck Forbes and their "you're using an adblocker" bullshit. Here's a real site:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/

Budget: 160mil
Domestic US: 24.3 mil
Foreign: 261.7 mil. (144mil in China)

We'll be getting a sequel but it looks like it'll be translated from Chinese to English.  why so serious?

(nice to see TMNT is a bomb as well. 116mil total in its 2nd week. 135mil budget.)

Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #320 on: June 12, 2016, 10:25:21 PM

Warcraft must be to Duncan Jones what Dune was to David Lynch -- a big project handed to an up and coming writer/director that said director felt he just couldn't refuse for the sake of his future career, even though he knew it wasn't even close to his style of movie.

That said, I haven't read even one interview with Jones on the subject, and for all I know he's a WoW fanatic and jumped at the chance. But still, after Moon and Source Code, I was not expecting Warcraft to be his next movie...
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #321 on: June 13, 2016, 04:08:36 AM

It's not hard to follow. My wife doesn't play computer games, doesn't read fantasy, etc., but she understood it all perfectly well. That's really not the problem with the movie.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #322 on: June 13, 2016, 05:22:51 AM

for all I know he's a WoW fanatic and jumped at the chance. But still, after Moon and Source Code, I was not expecting Warcraft to be his next movie...

I follow him on Twitter and he's a WoW fanatic who jumped at the chance. But I started following him after Moon and Source Code, so I've watched with bemusement as he happily made his Warcraft fanboy movie.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #323 on: June 13, 2016, 09:13:55 AM

I like Moon and Source Code, but I have to think that part of the problem with the movie is that he didn't know how to handle this type of film at the scale that it operates at. It is really badly structured at times.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #324 on: June 13, 2016, 09:16:50 AM

for all I know he's a WoW fanatic and jumped at the chance. But still, after Moon and Source Code, I was not expecting Warcraft to be his next movie...

I follow him on Twitter and he's a WoW fanatic who jumped at the chance. But I started following him after Moon and Source Code, so I've watched with bemusement as he happily made his Warcraft fanboy movie.

Well good for him then. And thinking about it, maybe this might be a good way to divert from that super serious dystopian sci-fi road he was starting down.

I've often idly wondered how many celebrities we've played with in MMOs over the years without knowing it. It must be nice for them to be able to drop into another world and be "just another guy/gal" for a while.
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #325 on: June 13, 2016, 11:48:14 AM

So this movie. I see why critics didn't like it. But I think this is this years pacific rim. Which is a geek movie for those who remember a time when being a geek was not cool. The dialogue isn't modern or josh wheadon lite or cracking a joke every five minutes or filled with dark undertones. This is high fantasy played straight up. No allegories to current social problems or attempts to subvert the genre. This will not make your "women in fantasy blogs" and the type who troll movies like this for such "enlightening" social commentary will probably never see this movie. The movie is called confusing because it doesn't stop to explain itself (I don't inherently count that as a plus). Its not an origin story. There's no teenage "boy becomes a man" story to be told, because everyone's fully developed member of the universe presented. This is merely act one of a very unfortunate series of events.

What the movie does have going for it, despite refusing to give details on places and references that I don't get because I never played Warcraft 1-3 or WoW, is in the details. It works because its kinda refreshing. This is high fantasy in its unedited glory and it is glorious to behold. Whether you talking about a mage that takes 10 years to cast a devastating spell while the warriors die in droves or everything to do with the Orcs. The dialogue is truly hit or miss and to be honest the only thing that really hurts this movie is the lack of actors. They could have definitely pulled some talent from TV, like casting of viking star as our main character. Also.... I don't remember anyones names. Which should be the sign of a bad movie but.... I don't know. The plot itself is pretty easy to follow, its the details like (what is the purpose of that order of mages and whats so bad about them that you ran away from hogwarts) that the movie doesn't tell you.

So yeah I liked the movie. I don't know who anyone is, or remember their names, but I'd gladly watch Warcraft 2.
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

Reply #326 on: June 13, 2016, 12:30:16 PM

No allegories to current social problems

Do tell. Someplace, just someplace, there might be a mass of aggressive, violent migrants who having destroyed their own lands through shitty policy and religion are now swarming into lusher, peaceful lands full of white people and castles. Just saying.

Enter Bob.

MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #327 on: June 13, 2016, 12:33:25 PM

Do tell. Someplace, just someplace, there might be a mass of aggressive, violent migrants who having destroyed their own lands through shitty policy and religion are now swarming into lusher, peaceful lands full of white people and castles. Just saying.

Enter Bob.

Bob go home your drunk.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #328 on: June 13, 2016, 01:54:29 PM

Enter Bob.
Facepalm
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

Reply #329 on: June 13, 2016, 02:15:36 PM

Come on, we all know Merkel would have invited Gul'dan in faster than The Guardian did.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #330 on: June 13, 2016, 04:14:13 PM

Enter Bob.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #331 on: June 13, 2016, 05:08:12 PM

A lot of you are saying the movie was at least ok, but you are saying it in a way that makes it sound terrible for anyone who isn't a WoW lore enthusiast.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #332 on: June 13, 2016, 05:24:36 PM

WoW lore enthusiast.

That cannot possibly be a thing.  And if it was you wouldn't find one here.

I am the .00000001428%
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

Reply #333 on: June 13, 2016, 05:25:00 PM

Jesus you guys, I'm just fucking around. Calm yourselves.

A lot of you are saying the movie was at least ok, but you are saying it in a way that makes it sound terrible for anyone who isn't a WoW lore enthusiast.

Their mileage is going to vary depending on their enjoyment of the genre. You need literally zero warcraft lore knowledge to understand and enjoy the movie. However you absolutely do need to be able to watch something like Krull and enjoy it. The plots are a lot different, but just about everything else is the same, especially how seriously they take themselves and the sort of acting.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #334 on: June 13, 2016, 06:31:20 PM

Prior knowledge of the lore is really not what makes the difference in watching the movie. It's just...not a great movie. But not a shitty one either. It doesn't have as much entertaining cheese as Krull or it would be more fun. But it doesn't have anything that puts it into Battlefield Earth terribad either. It's...almost good? It could have been a contendah. I can see the movie it almost was. Kind of makes me sad.  Not what I expected.
BobtheSomething
Terracotta Army

Reply #335 on: June 13, 2016, 09:48:22 PM

Jesus you guys, I'm just fucking around. Calm yourselves.

Their mileage is going to vary depending on their enjoyment of the genre. You need literally zero warcraft lore knowledge to understand and enjoy the movie. However you absolutely do need to be able to watch something like Krull and enjoy it. The plots are a lot different, but just about everything else is the same, especially how seriously they take themselves and the sort of acting.

Like Krull?

Shit, now I have to see the movie.
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #336 on: June 14, 2016, 12:44:03 AM

No love for Sword and the Sorcerer or The Beastmaster?

That's where I'd rate it and that in itself is not a bad thing.

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #337 on: June 14, 2016, 03:29:13 AM

Yeah those are good comparisons, as is MediumHighs statement that this is a High Fantasy movie that doesn't apologize for being one. It shot for Conan but landed on Krull and that's not terrible.

satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #338 on: June 14, 2016, 03:39:45 AM

I really hope that the movie does well enough for them to release the extended cut as I can see how that might make the movie significantly better or at least more entertaining.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #339 on: June 14, 2016, 04:29:26 AM

I think it's going to do well enough for a sequel because of the China and Europe box office. Not sure Jones will be back--I would expect the sequel to be a lot more cheaply made.
BobtheSomething
Terracotta Army

Reply #340 on: June 14, 2016, 07:58:16 AM

No love for Sword and the Sorcerer or The Beastmaster?

That's where I'd rate it and that in itself is not a bad thing.

I don't know that first movie, but Beastmaster would also be acceptable, although it was no Krull.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #341 on: June 14, 2016, 04:15:37 PM

I like WoW and mildly enjoy WoW lore.  

I'm glad I didn't pay for the movie.  It's pretty meh.  I agree with a reviewer on Rotten Tomatoes that called it "Bored of the Rings".  Wait for the dvd and rent it.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #342 on: June 17, 2016, 11:32:33 PM

Saw this today, and as a WoW lore nerd, it was a lot better than I was expecting.  Not, like, Lord of the Rings movie level, but not Dungeons and Dragons movie level either.  When viewed in the spectrum of video game movies, this is probably among the best, in that it stays MOSTLY true to the game (I mean like, they changed a lot, but at least the characters and setting are still mostly recognizable, compared to, like, the Super Mario bros. movie or something) and isn't a complete disaster.  It's certainly way more engaging than any of the Warcraft stuff I've seen, including the games themselves recently.  Not that it's the greatest movie ever, but I don't know that it deserves to be bombing as hard as it is.  A 13 year old me would have loved the hell out of this movie.

Probably the first few minutes are probably a confusing mess for anyone who's not invested in the lore, as there's a TON of characters introduced really fast, and the ending is contrived and stupid, but the middle was pretty solid I thought.  Would have been better if the entire thing was CG, in my opinion, because the human characters (except Lothar and maybe Khadgar) had this weird fakey look to them (not helped by Llane's goofy looking lion helmet).  Dwarves and especially elves look absolutely terrible for the few seconds of screentime they get.  Overall, though, it's not bad if you've got a stomach for cheesy fantasy.
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #343 on: June 18, 2016, 12:45:46 AM

I chalk the Dwarves and Elves looking bad completely up to what was probably an executive deccision based on their screen presence.  I mean, for all that this is "Warcraft", the movie was 99.9% "Orcs VS Humans".  The Dwarves and Elves combined probably had about 2 minutes of actual screen time, so somebody likely made a call somewhere along the lines of: Just make them good enough to not look completely stupid, but dont sweat it, cause 5 seconds after they are off screen, an awesome Orc will make everyone forget about them anyway.   I mean, I think the two appearances of the Elves probably added up to less then 20 seconds totall, not much point in dumping an excessive amount of CGI budget into them.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #344 on: June 20, 2016, 11:50:45 AM

Oooowwch.. 73% dropoff in the us market. Plummeting to $6.5 mil take this weekend.

At the same time it passed Prince of Persia and is now the highest-grossing video game movie of all time with a take of $377million.  So 90% of its revenue comes from the overseas market.
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/

The US may not see the sequel in theaters but I've got to wager it will be done.

MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #345 on: June 20, 2016, 12:49:54 PM

Death to America I want my sequel.
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #346 on: June 22, 2016, 12:00:24 PM

It's not as bad as it's being made out to be but it sure isn't on the level of Lord of the Rings or Game of Thrones.  I liked the scenes involving the Orcs the best and I was surprised how much emotion was able to be displayed on their cgi faces.  The actors they got to play the humans were pretty forgettable and none of their scenes were noteworthy in any way.  The tacked on love interest bullshit was completely unnecessary and dragged those scenes down even further.  I enjoyed it but it was very inconsistent and uneven.  Something I didn't know was it was directed by David Bowie's son, Duncan Jones.

Edit: So it looks like it has officially bombed in the US yet is very popular in China.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2016/06/12/box-office-warcraft-bombs-in-america-outgrosses-star-wars-in-china/#10b9599b3f45 

The orks both looked and worked much better on the big screen than the trailers I was seeing. They actually were well done.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #347 on: June 22, 2016, 07:41:04 PM

Just watched a 4:00 matinee with about 10 other people in the theatre. It was definitely a movie. With Orcs. And War.

It wasn't terrible, it was just really uneven. I think they said the names of every character about 20 times each and none of them stuck for me. Gamora was kinda weak. Something-Gar the hero was ok, but looked like he must have been 13 when he had his son. King Fancypants looked like he would have had a hard time lifting that sword. Elves looked like those mannequins they made of the elves for E3 about 10 years ago. And why the hell were the King, Queen, and half the royal guard hanging out in the newbie Inn in Goldshire (other than a bad excuse to put it in the movie?)

I liked the battle scenes.  I thought Evil Green Spiky Warlock Orc was really cool and well done. Kinda funny that the Orc half of the movie was the more logical and consistent half.

It was reasonably entertaining for a $9 matinee.

Oh, and finally a Suicide Squad trailer on the big screen. That looks fun.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #348 on: June 22, 2016, 08:08:51 PM

I know why they were hanging out in the Inn in Goldshire....
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #349 on: June 23, 2016, 08:15:04 PM

Waiting for a Hobbit Panda with a wedding ring to wander in?

Hic sunt dracones.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: World of Warcraft  
Jump to: