Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:37:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Browser-Based Titles  |  Topic: Urban Rivals, kinda CCG browser game 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Urban Rivals, kinda CCG browser game  (Read 2768 times)
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

on: July 20, 2009, 09:49:07 PM

http://www.urban-rivals.com/

Amazed we don't have a thread for this, it isn't too deep and I'm not sure if it gets stupid at later levels due to rare card power creep, just played it some today.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Aez
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 05:03:14 PM

I watched a video of this game a couple of months ago and decided it was retarded once I saw the battle animations.
schild
Administrator

Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 06:43:12 PM

That might be some of the most inconsistent art I've ever seen.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 09:52:01 PM

Basic gameplay:
You build a deck of 8 heroes, which have 2 stats (power and damage done) and two abilities that give various bonuses and specials.
The game starts and you randomly get a face up hand of 4 of your heroes, the other half of your deck is not a factor at all.
Each turn consists of a single combat phase where one player is attacker and one is defender.
You can only attack or block with one guy once per game after that he is out.
The combat is decided and the winner does his damage amount to the opponent's life total.
The crux of the in-game strat is in using "pills" and anticipating their use by your opponent.  Basically you get 12 pills, which you can use to multiply the power of your hero which creates the number that determines who wins.  So basically you bluff an attack get them to spend their pills and then you have an advantage, or reversed, also you can spend 3 pills to get 2 extra damage which if you can get their lifetotal down allows you to threaten additional potentially game ending damage and force them to burn pills.  Etc. etc.

Basically you strategy comes down to deck construction, followed by your attacker/defender choices and then your pill use.  Those 3 elements will determine the winner.

Depth:
Basically the depth in the game is that they have 4 basic gameplay modes each with different deck construction rules, think MtG's Type1, Type2, Extended etc. and they also have some apparatus that appears to let players create weird events that have prizes where even more strange and arbitrary deck construction rules are put into place, I haven't gone to deep into that yet.  However if that works well its quite brilliant since deckbuilding is typically one of the most fun parts of a CCG and this would allow all types of random thought exercises to build powerful decks within a strange ruleset.

There is a leveling facet in the game, where your cards need to be leveled up when youre a newb and also you yourself need to level up to gain access to all the gametypes.  You also need to grind money by beating other players or by entering into the daily tournament which is basically a 1 hour grind that starts every 2 hours each day where the very top winners get huge bonuses but if you just fight one match you get a small sum of in-game money for participating.  I haven't tried yet to actually play the full hour and go for qualifying for a real payout because my deck sucks and I'm not going to spend real cash to try to shortcut improving it.  This is a cockblock but its not too bad, the games are relatively quick and I've been able to buy a few cards to try to get small upgrades.  While you are in the level cap rooms (up to 15) you will have a chance to win some fights for sure and you just play one tournament match to get your 50 credits whenever you remember to.

I find CCG's interesting and online ones esp tickle my fancy.  Unlike most this one I think I can get into the high level play without spending RL cash, so I'm going to take a stab at it.  I have to say I worry about the overall depth of the game since a deck is only 8 cards and while they have created a lot of card interactions its just never going to come close to a game like magic due to the very simplistic turn structure and lack of actions.  I suspect I'll get bored of it but since its going to cost me nothing and there is a chance I might enjoy I'll give it a shot for now.  Once I get to 2,000 credits I think I can buy 4 actually high level play heroes from one of the factions and then if I'm level 15 I can try out the higher level and high reward gameplay types.  When I do that I'll put another post in this thread.

Unless somebody else wants to try it I'm not going to explain all the little shit I've learned so far unless somebody asks.

Obligatory sign up link that makes you my vassal in some kind of nefarious pyramid scheme
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 09:53:54 PM by Hoax »

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Browser-Based Titles  |  Topic: Urban Rivals, kinda CCG browser game  
Jump to: