Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 02:24:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  League of Legends  |  Topic: Deprecated NDA Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Deprecated NDA Thread  (Read 29483 times)
schild
Administrator

Reply #35 on: September 01, 2009, 02:38:45 PM

DoTA is a game for assholes.  So I am interested in knowing what LoL is doing to discourage the playerbase from being raging dicks to new players.  Otherwise free is too expansive.
Every competitive game is a game for assholes.

LoL has a lower bar for entry and Riot is doing a good job of outright banning players whenever necessary.
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: September 01, 2009, 02:56:50 PM

Also in theory, the ELO ranking system will filter most of the assholes up the foodchain away from newbies.  This won't stop all of the abuse, and frankly  the DOTA crowd is among the worst I've ever seen, but I hear most of the worst went to HoN anyhow.  Hopefully they don't come back.
WayAbvPar

Reply #37 on: September 01, 2009, 05:24:45 PM

Can someone give me a 3 paragraph summary of wth this is? I am not familiar with it.  And what is DoTA I keep seeing referenced?

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Sparky
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: September 01, 2009, 05:29:27 PM

Can someone give me a 3 paragraph summary of wth this is? I am not familiar with it.  And what is DoTA I keep seeing referenced?

It's a multiplayer team based RTS game.  I'll be lazy and link a video instead.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/walkthrough-part-league-of/53839
Musashi
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: September 01, 2009, 06:56:02 PM

Holy shit, awesome.

Holy shit, I suck.

AKA Gyoza
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #40 on: September 01, 2009, 07:41:54 PM

It's a multiplayer team based RTS game.  I'll be lazy and link a video instead.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/walkthrough-part-league-of/53839

The gaming industry needs to get the fuck over putting their chubby completely uncharismatic employees front and center in their official videos.  Neither of these guys were too terrible but still, what the fuck.  Why is it necessary that I see their faces?

If I'm ever reunited with my computer I can't want to play this.  Hopefully moving this weekend and then I'll have 2 weeks of pretty much free time.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: September 01, 2009, 10:52:48 PM

I'd like a key if anyone would love to love me. Email in profile is correct.
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #42 on: September 02, 2009, 10:49:33 AM

The Summoner ability system works like two persistent global-style abilities that you can bring with you, regardless of character. Things such as a heal, a blink, a teleport, a defensive shield for your tower, and so on. These can all be augmented through the Summoner talent tree.

Making sure you have a decent combination of these on any given character can make a huge difference.

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
Musashi
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: September 02, 2009, 11:33:26 AM

The summoner stuff isn't game breaking.  At least I don't think.  We're talking very minor stat boosts.  Taken cumulatively, they're probably pretty powerful.  I don't know for sure, so this is just supposition.  I did get to level 7 or 8 yesterday.  But within relatively close levels, you're not going to have a significant disadvantage.  But up against someone with twenty levels on you, you're going to be behind the curve.

Of course it will balance out when you play against people who are at the cap, or otherwise within a similar level range.  I don't know enough about the game to say if the beta cap of 30 is permanent.  But if it is, then the only way to gimp yourself is picking skills like a retard. 

All in all, I think it functions like a neat way to give people incentive to learn to play.  And there's a lot to learn.

AKA Gyoza
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: September 02, 2009, 02:24:33 PM

My name is Tecumseh and I’m Lead Community Manager at GOA, the European publisher for League of Legends.

Nnnnnoooooooooooooo!!

The european website address for this game is ....

http://lol-europe.com/

I can't top that.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
schild
Administrator

Reply #45 on: September 02, 2009, 02:53:11 PM

roflgoa
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: September 02, 2009, 03:22:04 PM

It's dumb but I can't stop but laugh a little every time I see this website.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #47 on: September 04, 2009, 09:49:21 AM

I loved DotA, and would like an invite if any are still available.  I also have a new PC, so I'm looking for anything I can crank the graphics up on  awesome, for real

My name is Tecumseh and I’m Lead Community Manager at GOA, the European publisher for League of Legends.
Its rather random a European picked that name.  I wonder if he named himself after the Indian or the guy who burned down a large amount of the South.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: September 05, 2009, 06:02:43 AM

Just watched a video fo the gameplay. Looks like a lot of fun. I'll take a key if there are any left to go around. E-mail in profile is correct.

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
"Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
Ozzu
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: September 06, 2009, 12:25:26 AM

This game is  awesome, for real

I've already done the Collector's Pre-order deal because I wanted the skins and extra champions to start. Greatness.
Krushchev
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: September 13, 2009, 12:27:18 AM

Just played a couple games today. I'm lovin' the art style in this game.
Xeyi
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: October 14, 2009, 04:56:46 AM

Nnnnnoooooooooooooo!!

Seems they will now be forcing all Europeans to play on the GOA server.  Forum rage ensues.

(US thread) http://beta.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=17386
(Same thread on EU forums) http://forums.lol-europe.com/showthread.php?t=2749

IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #52 on: October 14, 2009, 06:03:53 AM

I loved DotA, and would like an invite if any are still available.  I also have a new PC, so I'm looking for anything I can crank the graphics up on  awesome, for real

Its rather random a European picked that name.  I wonder if he named himself after the Indian or the guy who burned down a large amount of the South.

He's French and just really likes Indians.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Xeyi
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: October 16, 2009, 09:34:32 AM

Seems they will now be forcing all Europeans to play on the GOA server.  Forum rage ensues.

(US thread) http://beta.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=17386
(Same thread on EU forums) http://forums.lol-europe.com/showthread.php?t=2749

And now they changed their minds:

http://beta.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=18223
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #54 on: October 16, 2009, 01:38:40 PM

Great news right?  GOA apparently has an awful rep?

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Xeyi
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: October 16, 2009, 05:59:54 PM

They don't have the best rep no  Ohhhhh, I see.

I don't think people would have reacted so strongly if there had been knowledge of this from the start though.  Sure there are those that hate GOA with a passion, but probably the bigger issue was that they were forcibly splitting the community with almost no notice given.  But yeah it wouldn't have helped that it was GOA.
raydeen
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: November 08, 2009, 08:42:58 PM

DoTA is a game for assholes.  So I am interested in knowing what LoL is doing to discourage the playerbase from being raging dicks to new players.  Otherwise free is too expansive.

Heh. I got told to go away and play Pacman. They eventually cut me some slack though. And we won so I didn't feel like I had brought the team down. I need to get some 1 on 1 time with a fellow n00bler so that I can get the hang of the different champs without having to wing it and bringing down the wrath of God from my fellow teammates.

I was drinking when I wrote this, so sue me if it goes astray.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #57 on: November 09, 2009, 01:01:12 PM

step 1.  Don't die.  Make your entire mission not dying.  For reals.  Don't die.

step 2.  Don't play a champ you have never seen anyone else play. 

step 3.  Start thinking of which champs interest you and write down anything you notice about the way other people (esp people who dont suck) play that champ.  This will help you tons.

That would be my advice to anyone who hasn't played DoTa who is picking up LoL for the first 20 or so games.

-William Gibson
Ozzu
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: November 09, 2009, 02:04:58 PM

Hoax is correct. As long as you aren't running in and getting slaughtered all the time, people won't bitch at you. Just hang near your tower and play very conservative until you feel like you've got the champ down well. No one is going to bitch at you for going 0/2. People will bitch at you for going 0/9.
raydeen
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: November 09, 2009, 03:42:37 PM

I'm just doing some practice/bot games by myself for now and trying out heroes to see what they can and can't do. Maybe in a few weeks I'll go back in to the fray when I've got some more playtime under my belt.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #60 on: November 09, 2009, 03:51:52 PM

I'm just doing some practice/bot games by myself for now and trying out heroes to see what they can and can't do. Maybe in a few weeks I'll go back in to the fray when I've got some more playtime under my belt.

I'd really advise against that, you wont learn anything really.  You can barely learn anything from playing practice games.  If you need advice on easy champs that you can't totally fuck up the build order on you can get that.  But honestly I would pick a champ you have some reason to think you would like.  Play at least 6 games with him/her before you give up and follow the no dying rules.  Pray you see that champ used on the other team.  Take note of what items he has at the end of the game, what order he bought them in and what skills he seemed to use most if possible.  If after 6 games you feel like this champ might work for you, start reading threads in the guide and champ feedback section or just ask us here for some info on how to play with that champ.  Now play 10 games of practice so that you can hit the right keys in response to various things and your comfortable with what/when to buy stuff and some match up basics.  Now go play real games, the matchmaking/elo system is good.  Don't feed and you'll learn.  Occasionally you can even ask teammates if they know a item/skill build and they will help.  Sometimes they will talk shit.  But most are smart enough to try to help themselves.

You should really just get people like me, slay, ozzu, etc on your friendslist.  Slay esp he's been training some friends on how to play.  But we occasionally play some 3v3 treeline practice games on vent and that is very newb friendly since its practice only and the game is a shorter timesink.

-William Gibson
Prospero
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: November 09, 2009, 03:58:59 PM

As a fellow n00b I highly recommend hopping in for a few real games. It really does help to get a clearer picture of how some of the champions are used. I usually play a bot game to try out a new hero and then hop in for a real match right after. It's been working really well for me so far.
raydeen
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: November 09, 2009, 07:33:48 PM

I will get back into some live games. I just want to be able to futz around with different champs and their powers without any pressure. I know the practice games aren't anywhere near a live match. I just need to know how the car handles before I take it out on the Autobahn.

Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #63 on: November 10, 2009, 06:54:49 AM

Nothing wrong with that, but the experience you gain in practice games as opposed to bot games is huge. You learn the abilities of other champs, which in turn helps the no dying rule. If you know Sion has a Stun and an AoE explosion, you can make sure you don't get too low when you are laning against him, or too close to a turret when you are about out of creeps. You learn at learn 6, Ryze gets his Ultimate and to keep minions near you to absord a lot of it. You notice Chogath can munch people down from about 1/3 health instantly. A half if he rupture/silences ya.

Learning the champs you fight against is almost as good as learning your own champ.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: November 26, 2009, 05:14:31 PM

Well practice games have a tendency of discriminating against new players. Joining a ranked or practice game is the only way for a new player to learn the game. I have 3 things that I can really tell a new player.

1. Avoid combat. Stick to killing as many monsters as possible, never fight a player direct, never think you can win a fight one on one, never think that you can a prolong battle in the middle of anywhere, and don't chase. This is what some chess players call "sitting on your hands". The impulse to use your auto attack and spells on an opponent is generally overwhelming especially in the beginning during the laning period. Become an opportunist, take the cheap shots, go in for the kill when he is at low health, attack when you outnumber them, but avoid engaging when he has an opportunity to strike back. This is important, because if you are new, there is simply no way you can understand the ways an advantageous situation can turn really bad really quickly and to be honest you simply have no idea on how to make a proper attack. By avoiding combat you force yourself to watch and learn and make informed decisions.

2. Prioritize your life more than anything else. Dieing a lot frustrates you because you literally can't do anything when your dead and the respawn time gradually gets longer. It frustrates your teammates, who are now down one man and more likely to get steamrolled. And makes your opponent very happy, because now he gains the money to buy better items and the experienced needed to out level you. Avoid death, learn how to play defensive(don't run into bushes, don't chase, don't fight near enemy tower, never continue fighting at low health), learn how to read your map, count the amount of players you see on the map, if suddenly you see very little non friendly dots compared to friendly dots, that is because the entire team is probably heading your way (always assume this). No selfless sacrifices assuming he (player or friendly tower) can't be saved if you do not have a stun, a movement effecting skill, your at low health, or he is outnumbered(2 to 1 odds for players 2-3 to 1 odds for towers depending on health). Selfless sacrifices can often lead to double kills for the other team.

3. Learn your playstyle. Understand the champs you want to play, usually migrating from champs you see other people play to champs that might fit your play style as you get more experience. Read the online guides for item/rune builds for favorite champs but don't use them word for word. They are suggestions not law. Play style is again everything. Once you establish your play style you can start breaking the rules imposed by you during steps 1 and 2. Understanding your play style also comes with understanding how you want to counter situations in the game presented by the flow of the game ( beginning laning game to mid gank game to end seige game) and by other champions (how do I counter rayze ultimate? how do I counter turrent spam? Does auras help my team vs xxxx?).

I don't understand how LoL is considered a real time strategy game. It reminds me of an MMORPG without the pve grind.
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: November 27, 2009, 06:02:28 AM

I don't understand how LoL is considered a real time strategy game. It reminds me of an MMORPG without the pve grind.

I haven't heard anyone call these 'RTS'.  The only reason anyone might call it a real time strategy game is because the original mod was ceated on a RTS game.  If it has any name at all it seems to be "Tower Defense".

If someone created one of these games without towers we'd probably call it something like "third person tactics" (TPT) or "realtime tactics".  How bout, "third person button and mouse masher (TPBMM)?  Or maybe, "that CHEATY MOTHERFUCKER KILLED ME AGAIN!??!?!  FUCKING UNBALANCED SOMBITCH!!!! (CMFKMA-FUS).

edit: typing
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 07:02:18 AM by Typhon »
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: November 27, 2009, 05:00:00 PM

I just call it "What Fury Should Have Been" they should really market this as a pvp mmo so all the "hardcore" pvp'ers in various mmo's can be called carebears by the Dota players  DRILLING AND MANLINESS
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: November 27, 2009, 08:41:40 PM

i call it fun. wooo

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Ozzu
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: November 27, 2009, 09:45:22 PM

i call it fun. wooo

This. I've played this game every single day since I got into the closed beta. Still having lots of fun.
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: November 28, 2009, 11:37:35 AM

add me fool :)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  League of Legends  |  Topic: Deprecated NDA Thread  
Jump to: