Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 15, 2024, 11:18:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: f13 mixtape #2: crime, cruelty, soft music. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: f13 mixtape #2: crime, cruelty, soft music.  (Read 21764 times)
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: August 30, 2009, 11:10:34 PM

There was a lot of good stuff I'd never heard of...

Why didn't you put any of it in the mixtape then?  why so serious?

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #71 on: August 31, 2009, 12:24:21 AM

Because your mother's a whore.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #72 on: August 31, 2009, 01:47:14 AM

Because your mother's a whore.

Why punish the present for the sins of the past?  Heartbreak
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #73 on: August 31, 2009, 09:07:34 AM

Some good stuff there, listening now. Thanks.

Obligatory here's what I submitted post:

Just in case you wanted to know what Samwise never wanted to hear again.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

(edit: missed one)
(edit 2: titles)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 09:47:58 AM by Righ »

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: August 31, 2009, 09:22:46 AM

The second track is actually by Conjure One - the 'Metropolis' in the YouTube title is the name of the anime the footage was pulled from.

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
schild
Administrator

Reply #75 on: August 31, 2009, 09:24:08 AM

Will fix that when I get home.
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #76 on: August 31, 2009, 09:26:54 AM

Sounds good, a pretty good mix. None of mine made it though.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: August 31, 2009, 09:27:45 AM

Quite sure the "never wants to hear again" was my submissions.

Here are a few:
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 09:29:37 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Righ
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: August 31, 2009, 09:33:25 AM

My opinion of your music tastes just rose with the SGM tracks - but I suspect that Sam never wants to hear those again either.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: August 31, 2009, 09:34:26 AM

My opinion of your music tastes just rose with the SGM tracks - but I suspect that Sam never wants to hear those again either.

Judging books by the cover and all that.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: August 31, 2009, 09:39:02 AM

Oooh, music!  Moterhead + the Cardigans?  I'm liking this.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 09:41:51 AM by ahoythematey »
schild
Administrator

Reply #81 on: August 31, 2009, 09:46:51 AM

I'll play into your game, I submitted Revenge off Dark Night of the Soul, Rival [Acoustic] from MintJam, She Wants Revenge (which made the cut), and Blue Eyes from Silke Bischoff.
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #82 on: August 31, 2009, 09:47:04 AM

I like this one quite a lot.  Some stuff I didn't yet have that I'll have to fix soon.

My submissions:

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: August 31, 2009, 09:50:57 AM

Wish I would've thought of Revenge, I really dig that whole album.
Righ
Terracotta Army

Reply #84 on: August 31, 2009, 09:51:40 AM

I dig that song more than most of the rest of the album sadly.

Pretty wholesale lift from Tangerine Dream - 3 AM At The Border Of The Marsh From Okefenokee on that FC Kahuna track. But I like.

Judging books by the cover and all that.

No, judging based on other music that you've posted.

schild
Administrator

Reply #85 on: August 31, 2009, 09:57:03 AM

The other possible submission off that was Insane Lullaby, but I didn't want to use that particular card yet.
fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: August 31, 2009, 10:12:56 AM

I keep my submissions short. I'll make sure to submit something with vocal's next time.

Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: August 31, 2009, 10:37:01 AM

Death in Vegas and Gary Jules were two of my submissions.  I'll double check exactly what else I sent when I get home but I think I sent in Helter Skelter (The Beetles), Down By the Water (PJ Harvey), Gouge Away (The Pixies) and Into Dust (Mazzy Star).  I sent in a few others as well but I don't remember which ones offhand.

Over and out.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #88 on: August 31, 2009, 11:09:55 AM

There were a lot of songs that I anguished over not including, so at the risk of boring everyone I'd like to comment on stuff I liked that didn't quite make it in:

Just in case you wanted to know what Samwise never wanted to hear again.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Enter Sandman made it in without hesitation, and Bullets was actually in the next-to-final cut but when I listened to the album all together looking for one song to drop, I noticed that one was about half the volume of everything else, so it got the axe.  God's Away on Business was a strong contender; I think I listened to it half a dozen times.

Sounds good, a pretty good mix. None of mine made it though.

I really liked Driven Like the Snow, and had it in my first draft.  Wave of Mutilation and Psycho Killer were also strong contenders due to complete lyrical appropriateness.

Quite sure the "never wants to hear again" was my submissions.

Here are a few:

I actually had to think long and hard about Helpless Corpses Enactment.  I liked it on its own, but whenever I tried to put it next to other stuff it didn't mesh.  Also, I think half of what I liked about it was the video; once I put it on in the background I was less enamored of it.  Definitely liked it more than the giant block of GWAR.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Oooh, music!  Moterhead + the Cardigans?  I'm liking this.

Moonlight Sonata was a hell of a good (and unexpected) pick; I had it as the first track of the first draft of the album.  I also dug Working Class Hero.

Pretty sure Nevermore didn't send in Helter Skelter, because it would have gotten into at least one of the early drafts by virtue of its Manson connotations alone.  (Or maybe it was one of the ones that had been yanked from YouTube by the time I got to it.)
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #89 on: August 31, 2009, 11:23:05 AM

Pretty sure Nevermore didn't send in Helter Skelter, because it would have gotten into at least one of the early drafts by virtue of its Manson connotations alone.  (Or maybe it was one of the ones that had been yanked from YouTube by the time I got to it.)

I definitely sent it in.  I had an original list of around 8 or so songs, and then the next day I sent in Helter Skelter by itself.  It was after the original deadline but since Schild was still asking for submissions after the deadline I figured it should have been forwarded to you with the rest.

Over and out.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #90 on: August 31, 2009, 11:25:58 AM

It was probably one of the ones pulled from Youtube then.  As a Beatles song I think it'd be under the thumb of Sony, and they seem pretty aggressive about filing complaints.
voodoolily
Contributor

Finnuh, munnuh, muhfuh, I enjoy creating new written vernacular, s'all.

Reply #91 on: August 31, 2009, 11:29:07 AM

This.

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
The Legend of Zephyr - a different blog.
voodoolily
Contributor

Reply #92 on: August 31, 2009, 11:34:57 AM

Some good stuff there, listening now. Thanks.

Just in case you wanted to know what Samwise never wanted to hear again.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

(edit: missed one)
(edit 2: titles)

I love Aesop Rock. Here's mine:

Edit: I was in the middle of inlining these links and it just reposted the original post, so sorry it's not all tidy and shit. I just don't have time to redo it.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 11:42:03 AM by voodoolily »

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
Righ
Terracotta Army

Reply #93 on: August 31, 2009, 11:48:28 AM

Enter Sandman made it in without hesitation, and Bullets was actually in the next-to-final cut but when I listened to the album all together looking for one song to drop, I noticed that one was about half the volume of everything else, so it got the axe.  God's Away on Business was a strong contender; I think I listened to it half a dozen times.

I pegged both Bullets and Final Solution as being contenders as I think that they appeal to a fairly broad range of tastes. In actuality, the title song from Archive's most recent album Controlling Crowds would fit better with the mix title, but I wanted to show off the great video for Bullets, not just a couple of seconds of clip on repeat as in the Controlling Crowds track posted on YouTube. Likewise, this has the full track of SPQR, but I just had to show the fantastic footage attached to the short version that I posted. Pax Romana!

Final Solution had around 20 hits when I sent it in. It's up to around 100 now. TV on the Radio, Trent Reznor and Peter Murphy together covering a brilliant early Pere Ubu single. What's not to love?

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #94 on: August 31, 2009, 11:54:36 AM

Yeah, I loved the SPQR video.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?  Even if the song was a little too... something... for me.

None of VDL's songs sound familiar to me at all.  Just in case I'm forgetful, I tried searching for some of the Youtube URLs in the list I was sent, and came up empty.  Shenanigans!
Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #95 on: August 31, 2009, 12:01:58 PM

Hmm, three of mine made it this time.  Filter's Hey Man Nice Shot, Tricky's Puppy Toy and the Cardigan's Erase Rewind.

I am shocked you did not choose - バナナの電話

Palin 2012 : Let's go out with a bang!
Righ
Terracotta Army

Reply #96 on: August 31, 2009, 12:15:53 PM

Will listen once the lawnmowering outside has been abated. But Pictures of Matchstick Men for this theme? Doesn't follow to my mind even though its been around two decades since I heard it. I saw them at the Glasgow Apollo before it was demolished - from the bouncing balcony and all. Black Veils of Melancholy would have been more appropriate? And it sounds just the same. Even before they found their popular formula they were good at writing nearly identical songs.

Also if you're on a psych folk trip, you NEED to hear Sand Snowman.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #97 on: August 31, 2009, 12:43:10 PM

I am shocked you did not choose - バナナの電話

So YOU'RE the motherfucker.
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #98 on: August 31, 2009, 12:46:21 PM

It was probably one of the ones pulled from Youtube then.  As a Beatles song I think it'd be under the thumb of Sony, and they seem pretty aggressive about filing complaints.

This is likely.  I really wanted to submit Song of the Dispossessed by Dead Can Dance but good luck finding anything 4AD on Youtube.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 12:50:07 PM by Nevermore »

Over and out.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #99 on: August 31, 2009, 12:47:56 PM

Ingmar is putting together the next one btw.

Can someone point me to that album title/cover generator thing so I can play around with it til I come up with something good?

EDIT: Never mind, found it hiding in the spoiler on the first post.

Also, looks like I had 3 make the cut - Nick Cave, Cake, and the Raconteurs.

My full list:

« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 12:52:42 PM by Ingmar »

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
voodoolily
Contributor

Reply #100 on: August 31, 2009, 12:57:18 PM

Will listen once the lawnmowering outside has been abated. But Pictures of Matchstick Men for this theme? Doesn't follow to my mind even though its been around two decades since I heard it. I saw them at the Glasgow Apollo before it was demolished - from the bouncing balcony and all. Black Veils of Melancholy would have been more appropriate? And it sounds just the same. Even before they found their popular formula they were good at writing nearly identical songs.

Also if you're on a psych folk trip, you NEED to hear Sand Snowman.

Uhhh, theme?  swamp poop

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #101 on: August 31, 2009, 01:04:57 PM

Cake

Heart I think I may have literally cheered when I saw that one come up.  One of my personal favorite bands, and that song was absolutely perfect for the album.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #102 on: August 31, 2009, 01:54:48 PM

That She Wants Revenge track is pretty sweet, I haven't heard that before.

EDIT: I quite like the Bitter:Sweet one too.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 02:04:31 PM by Ingmar »

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Righ
Terracotta Army

Reply #103 on: August 31, 2009, 02:02:41 PM

It had an entertaining video too if you feel so inclined:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXd-39W_qZU

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #104 on: August 31, 2009, 02:21:51 PM

Raconteurs, I like Jack, he's a great songwriter. Good tune. Nick Cave is a fucking retard who can't sing. Tricky: Love Tricky, but more his older stuff, he was working with some amazing drummers. The percussion on this track is pretty meh. I've got his Angels with Dirty Faces, some amazing drumming on that, and PJ Harvey :) Cat Power, I could get into that. Needs a couple listens.

Death In Vegas: The music is pretty meh, the VO was better when it was Black Sunshine. Another great VO guy is Rollins (Claypool's Delicate Tendrils, no tube).

I don't care if Cliff came back from the dead to remake Enter Sandman, there's never any reason to listen to that pile of shit song. Hey, why not put on Seek and Destroy if you're going for overplayed tripe by bands that have written amazing songs? The Filter song is another that's so overplayed it would be nice to never hear again.

Mad World is a great tune, I like Adam Lambert's version, heretical as that may be. One of only two American Idol songs I've bought (Cook doing Billy Jean is the other).

Whole lot of blah and generic stuff on there, though.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: f13 mixtape #2: crime, cruelty, soft music.  
Jump to: