Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 09:29:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: Ebank scandal hits mainstream media 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ebank scandal hits mainstream media  (Read 3601 times)
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

on: July 02, 2009, 11:39:30 AM

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 12:44:41 PM

Awesome, they even wrote "space pirates" into it.

- Viin
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 04:59:32 PM

I'd have done the same thing in his shoes, so I can't judge.  $6,300 isn't the lottery, but making a couple months of house payments, or paying of some debts at the cost of getting kicked out of internet spaceships?  Hell yes, please.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
Kovacs
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009, 05:33:22 PM

$6,300 minus taxes.  About $803 given Aus. captial gains rule.  The good news is if it were me I'd use my $15/month subscriptin cost to increase the cost basis and reduce my gain. 

Slipping slowly down that slope towards a "Market Value" for in-game assets and later the taxation of unrealized virtual gains on iin-game (intangible) goods.

PS: and by slowly, I mean SLOWLY.   
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #4 on: July 02, 2009, 08:59:29 PM

The hell? Been around the game for years, and never heard of this Ebank nonsense. What's the point, what with the Wallet and all?

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
gryeyes
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: July 02, 2009, 09:18:56 PM

Hasn't there been several huge ebank scams?
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #6 on: July 02, 2009, 10:15:28 PM

The hell? Been around the game for years, and never heard of this Ebank nonsense. What's the point, what with the Wallet and all?
Quote from:  Me, in the earlier EBank thread
Anyway, people put money in this stuff because they have isk they can't productively use, whatever their market niche is they have filled it to the point that throwing more money into it won't see any gain and they're not interested in trying to launder it into actual cash.  And some of the proffers are genuine, and fill real economic needs and make a shitload of money for their investors who don't have to invest any of their time to get the return.  Me and Dark Shikari had very different net worths (his was always much higher), but our incomes were comparable because there's only so much money you can make from working the market as a middleman 20-30 hours a week, and we were crowding up against it.  He parked chunks of the extra money into various ventures (including a loan that had helped me start up) because he really couldn't stand to let it sit in the wallet doing nothing, and didn't have my appetite for the 0.0 Grand Game that burned off all my surplus.

Money in your wallet doesn't earn interest.  If you're playing Eve as a finance/market type, isk sitting in your wallet doing nothing feels like a waste.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
gryeyes
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: July 02, 2009, 10:37:04 PM

But the huge amounts of risk in a venture like that? People with so much isk it does not really matter? Essentially your entire investment hinges on trusting an organization of a type that almost always ends in fraud.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #8 on: July 02, 2009, 11:07:25 PM

As opposed to putting it into a super-cap or unique ship that will inevitably wind up as a killmail?  In the end, it's play money, and if they want play "Interstellar Financier" with it, getting hosed is part of the game they are playing.  They know it, but even being a victim of a high-profile scam is more entertaining than just stacking it up in a database entry.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Jayce
Terracotta Army

Diluted Fool

Reply #9 on: July 02, 2009, 11:58:20 PM

Essentially your entire investment hinges on trusting an organization of a type that almost always ends in fraud.

It doesn't almost always end in fraud.

What gets publicized is the fraud.  It would be boring to report every day "still no theft from the EVE bank.  Tune in tomorrow when we report that there is still no fraud in the EVE bank."

Witty banter not included.
Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: July 03, 2009, 08:23:57 AM

BBC.co.uk

News.com.au

Quote from: BBC
The scandal is not the first to play out in Eve Online. In early 2009 one of the game's biggest corporations, called Band of Brothers, was brought down by industrial espionage.

... and a whole month of pure purge and grape, but it's not as romantic, I guess.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #11 on: July 03, 2009, 04:03:21 PM

Man, Mittens tells that story SO MUCH BETTER.  Love Letters

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: July 03, 2009, 08:21:56 PM

Hargath!!!!!!!!!!!

lac
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: July 04, 2009, 02:48:36 PM

This story was in the local weekend paper today. Right between 'Chinese babies sold for 2k' and 'Railroads will only keep lost luggage for 50 days'. I almost chocked on my croissant frantically pointing the article out to my 3 year old who really liked the accompanying picture of a moon, oblivious to the spaceships around it. I sometimes worry about him.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: Ebank scandal hits mainstream media  
Jump to: