Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 15, 2024, 10:30:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: Hello?..... 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hello?.....  (Read 11345 times)
Kenrick
Terracotta Army

on: December 17, 2004, 06:41:23 PM

Wow... not too cool to have all your servers down for hours at a time at primetime on a Friday night... I'm impressed!
schild
Administrator

Reply #1 on: December 17, 2004, 06:50:22 PM

Hi. WoW's servers go down more than a Vegas hooker on a friday night. People just don't notice because there are 19324019823 of them.
Kenrick
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: December 17, 2004, 08:01:25 PM

Eh... it's a little deeper than that tonight in EQ2land.  The entire game (all servers) has been down for like 7 or 8 hours at this point.  From the devboards:

Devboards.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #3 on: December 17, 2004, 11:49:12 PM

Quote from: Kenrick
Eh... it's a little deeper than that tonight in EQ2land.  The entire game (all servers) has been down for like 7 or 8 hours at this point.

A couple of days ago the WoW Login server went down for about 6 hours locking out *all* servers thanks to Blizzard's wonderful server architecture.
Sable Blaze
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: December 18, 2004, 02:44:13 AM

This isn't exactly unknown in the world of SOE serverdom.

Lessee...Shadows of Luclin release springs to mind.

My last tenure in EQlive had at least two major patch screwups that lasted many hours. That was in about 8 months. And that's an old game.

Hardly a surprise. It happens.

Although, if your point is EQ2 was released unfinished...then an obvious coookie is yours.
Abel
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: December 18, 2004, 02:44:55 AM

Only 6 hours ?

EQ2 servers have been down for 14 hours now and they STILL haven't been fixed. Data corrupted apparently ...
trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: December 18, 2004, 03:11:17 AM

There is somewhat of a difference between WOW login servers being down for 6 hours (but not the actual servers being down) and EQ2 entirely being down for 15 hours+ with threats of rollback...
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #7 on: December 18, 2004, 04:15:25 AM

Quote from: Sable Blaze
This isn't exactly unknown in the world of SOE serverdom.

Lessee...Shadows of Luclin release springs to mind.

My last tenure in EQlive had at least two major patch screwups that lasted many hours. That was in about 8 months. And that's an old game.

Yeah back when I played (release through SoL) you were pretty much guarenteed that within 48 hours after a major patch there would be "emergency maintenance" to fix all the problems introduced by the patch.
Mesozoic
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: December 18, 2004, 06:35:23 AM

Quote from: schild
Hi. WoW's servers go down more than a Vegas hooker on a friday night. People just don't notice because there are 19324019823 of them.

the hell?

EQ2 crashes and your first response is "Blizzard sucks."?  Good lord, man.

...any religion that rejects coffee worships a false god.
-Numtini
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: December 18, 2004, 07:12:35 AM

Went to a party last night so this is the first I'm hearing of this.  Kinda sucks as I was looking forward to killing the hangover with coffee and EQ2.

I hope there is no rollback I was kind of busy with my main character the last few days doing the Fallen Gate Armor quests.

In other news, here are the upcoming patch details.

Monster patch.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: December 18, 2004, 11:41:12 AM

posted at 11:08 pst
Guk, Najena, Blackburrow, Everfrost, Oggok, and Lavastorm are currently online and available for play. We will continue to bring game worlds up as we are able to do so. Please monitor this thread for the latest updates.

We are working with a hardware vendor to address some remaining issues with the following servers, which will be experiencing additional downtime: Befallen, Permafrost, Crushbone, Runnyeye, Mistmoore, Oasis, Innothule, Steamfont, Faydark, and Innovation.

We will continue to work around the clock until all worlds are online. Thank you for being patient while we get all the servers up and running!

posted at 11:35 pst
The Unrest server is now up, with more worlds on the way as soon as possible.

For some of you who can't see your characters, this is likely because your server is still down. For those of you who are able and log into your server, a small percentage of characters have experienced a rollback. In some cases, your character may be rolled back to its state from up to 12 hours prior to when the servers came down yesterday.

So 12 hour rollbacks and unknown hardware issues.

I don't know who thier vendor is but our contract with Dell at work has a 4 hour max time guarantee for getting a new server out the door and headed to our server farm, which they will hand deliver and install.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

Reply #11 on: December 18, 2004, 12:13:12 PM

Quote from: Murgos
I don't know who thier vendor is but our contract with Dell at work has a 4 hour max time guarantee for getting a new server out the door and headed to our server farm, which they will hand deliver and install.

Crazy Bob's House o' Servers does the best they can. You cannot interrupt a heated cockfighting event just because a tech needs to go out and install a server.
Jamiko
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: December 18, 2004, 01:45:49 PM

Quote from: Murgos
In other news, here are the upcoming patch details.

Monster patch.

I don't play EQ2, but I am impressed by the patch notes. Just looking at the number of quests added is impressive. Nice job.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: December 18, 2004, 05:07:54 PM

Quote from: Mesozoic

the hell?

EQ2 crashes and your first response is "Blizzard sucks."?  Good lord, man.

Schild has had a hate on for WoW since it was first announced. Why act surprised now?

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Mesozoic
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: December 18, 2004, 08:01:25 PM

Schild's Blizzard-hate is a given.   Its the magnitude and the transparency of it that surprises.

-Numtini
Lanei
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: December 18, 2004, 10:26:18 PM

SoE broke EQ2 really bad.

My character didn't get rolled back.  I beleive I logged out 8 hours before the Patch That Broke It All.

Every EQ2 subscriber gets 3 free days (renewal date pushed back 3 days).

Early next week (Monday I hope, I have mondays off) they will be having an increased XP gain day.
schild
Administrator

Reply #16 on: December 18, 2004, 10:42:54 PM

My first response is to compare the 2 biggest MMOG releases since Everquest, ya bunch of nut sacks. Maybe you aren't quite grasping it. I bought Diablo 2 on three seperate occasions. I've bought warcraft III AND the battle chest. I've bought Warcraft II MULTIPLE times. I had no faith in them making an MMOG. Turns out I was right.

What the fuck is the problem here? A staunch supporter of the company doesn't want them to stray into grounds that traditionally lead to a coffin?

Get over yourselves.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: December 18, 2004, 10:55:40 PM

=I had no faith in them making an MMOG. Turns out I was right.

What the fuck is the problem here? A staunch supporter of the company doesn't want them to stray into grounds that traditionally lead to a coffin?

The problem is that you were so, as another poster put it, transparently against it from the start that you couldn't help but hate it. You painted yourself into a corner. You had to think it was a failure, you'd already put so much energy into believing it'd be so.

Fact is, alot of people enjoy it and like it quite alot. Maybe you don't like it, but under the circumstances your opinion of it is largely suspect.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

Reply #18 on: December 18, 2004, 11:07:16 PM

Quote from: Riggswolfe
The problem is that you were so, as another poster put it, transparently against it from the start that you couldn't help but hate it. You painted yourself into a corner. You had to think it was a failure, you'd already put so much energy into believing it'd be so.

If schild was so against it and hoping for failure, why did he drop $85 on the collector's edition and another $25 on the strategy guide? He gave the game a chance and perhaps the chance was smaller due to some previous conceptions about it, but He Did Try.
Mesozoic
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: December 19, 2004, 06:17:44 AM

Quote from: Shockeye

If schild was so against it and hoping for failure, why did he drop $85 on the collector's edition and another $25 on the strategy guide?

To hate it.  Theres only so much trolling you can do without a CD in your hand.  I don't care, I just thought his immediate response was funny.

-Numtini
Alkiera
Terracotta Army

The best part of SWG was the easy account cancellation process.

Reply #20 on: December 19, 2004, 06:42:07 PM

The game was down for ~36 hours.

Difference between SOE and Blizzard?

Blizzard - Hey, our bad. You play now, rabid fanboi's.

SOE - Okay, you can play now.  Also, we're giving you 3 days free, and 2 days when exp for adventuring and crafting will be 50% higher than normal.

I remember when WoW first launched there were some capacity issues, lots of times where people had to wait in queues, and people were upset.  IIRC, they got jack from Blizzard for it.

Alkiera

"[I could] become the world's preeminent MMO class action attorney.  I could be the lawyer EVEN AMBULANCE CHASERS LAUGH AT. " --Triforcer

Welcome to the internet. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used as evidence against you in a character assassination on Slashdot.
Pig Destroyer
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: December 19, 2004, 07:07:59 PM

Quote from: Alkiera
I remember when WoW first launched there were some capacity issues, lots of times where people had to wait in queues, and people were upset.  IIRC, they got jack from Blizzard for it.

Alkiera

That's funny, I recall receiving 4 days added on to my free trial because of the issues at launch time.  Maybe I'm special?

My knuckles are bleeding, on your front door...

~Pig Destroyer

http://www.wtfman.com
SirBruce
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: December 19, 2004, 07:35:33 PM

Get over yourselves.

This is what you get when you court the wrong element, schild.  I tried to warn ya.

Bruce
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #23 on: December 19, 2004, 08:08:31 PM

Quote from: Pig Destroyer
Quote from: Alkiera

Alkiera

That's funny, I recall receiving 4 days added on to my free trial because of the issues at launch time.  Maybe I'm special?

Yes that's true but what Blizzard gave their customers, I would consider the absolute bare minimum while I feel SOE is going beyond that. And as schild said, the WoW servers continue to go down on a regular basis, with tonight being no exception. Yes those are not major outages like EQ2's was but if that was only time you could play then it's effectively the same thing.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #24 on: December 20, 2004, 03:25:23 AM

So SOE puts out a patch that makes the servers explode, EQ2 goes completely fucking dark for a day and a half, and you're bringing up Blizzard's initial-release overcrowding issues and the day their login server went wonky for six hours?

Cry more newbs?

Oh, but EQ2 is gonna make the hamster wheel spin a bit faster for a couple days by way of apology.  Color me impressed.  I have no idea what a WoW queue looks like, and my server has been unexpectedly down a whopping total of once in my experience.

Shut the fuck up and get back to killing your 500 gnolls.  Also, quit pissing into those Mountain Dew bottles and get up to use the bathroom, we wouldn't want you to die of bloodclots like that one catasser.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Kenrick
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: December 20, 2004, 03:52:34 AM

OOOOOOOOOooooooohhhh, SNAP!!11!!!1

or something.
Pig Destroyer
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: December 20, 2004, 09:42:22 AM

Quote from: Kenrick
OOOOOOOOOooooooohhhh, SNAP!!11!!!1

or something.

OH NO HE DI'ENT!!!

My knuckles are bleeding, on your front door...

~Pig Destroyer

http://www.wtfman.com
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #27 on: December 20, 2004, 12:06:14 PM

Let me end this argument real quick.

They both suck ginormous buckets of monkey balls.

Not balls made of monkeys. But actual monkey testicles. Neither can claim the moral high ground for making Everquest Version 1.5. Neither can claim the moral high ground for good releases, nor of unfucked patches. Blizzard's last patch broke EVERY FUCKING USER-MADE UI IN EXISTENCE, and that was just to remove the region pages from the fucking server screen. EQ2 was just down for almost 2 straight fucking days.

Stop being fucking retarded.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #28 on: December 20, 2004, 12:20:50 PM

Quote from: HaemishM

Stop being fucking retarded.

You first. Seriously. 2 minutes on the forum. My UI was working again.

OHHHH NOES.

-Rasix
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #29 on: December 20, 2004, 12:31:28 PM

So could the Blizzard devs, who have put support for custom UI's in their game, but couldn't be bothered to make sure they didn't fuckup the game with the patch.

Sure, I could fix it by wading in the swill that is the official forums, but if Blizzard wants to be serious about allowing custom UI's they have to not do what EQ did, that is, don't break custom UI's with every patch.

All I'm saying is they both suck.

Rasix

Reply #30 on: December 20, 2004, 12:38:06 PM

So could the Blizzard devs, who have put support for custom UI's in their game, but couldn't be bothered to make sure they didn't fuckup the game with the patch.

Sure, I could fix it by wading in the swill that is the official forums, but if Blizzard wants to be serious about allowing custom UI's they have to not do what EQ did, that is, don't break custom UI's with every patch.

Well it's kind of retarded in the way it breaks the UIs.  You have to change a single number in a file for each module in the UI.   But still, anyone that can bother to figure out how to install a UI mod can probably figure out how to navigate easily the least putrid of all of forums.  

They both suck, but 2 minutes of text editting is a bit less shitty than 2 days of downtime a month into your release.  Remember, there is a sliding scale for suck.  On one end you have a random LD, on the other, you have AO's 12.6 patch.

But hey, I wouldn't be arguing this if I wasn't the token WoW fanboi staff member.

-Rasix
schild
Administrator

Reply #31 on: December 20, 2004, 12:39:22 PM

And in a few months, all except the most masochistic of the readers here will agree with you.

All it takes is for that one thing to *click* and you realize the game is another treadmill with new graphics but all the same old shit.
Rasix

Reply #32 on: December 20, 2004, 12:54:53 PM

And in a few months, all except the most masochistic of the readers here will agree with you.

All it takes is for that one thing to *click* and you realize the game is another treadmill with new graphics but all the same old shit.

Fucking Christ-on-a-kebob.  This attitude GETS US NOWHERE. NADA. Not one inch forward.  You can go into these games, enjoy them until they suck, and then part.  Or, you can throw up your arms that a game is going to suck, buy it (what what WHAT?), and then chide all of those that haven't seen the light.  Look, these games are progress.  You may not like it, but they do offer something different than what a good deal of us haven't burned out on the past.  Probably most of us will be gone in 2-3 months anyhow, but really, is that such a horrible thing.  FFXI couldn't hold me for 2 weeks and CoH barely got its month out of me.  

Maybe it's the fact that I got one of the worst meals I've ever eaten today at work (chimichanga was sheet metal hard and made with pork I wouldn't feed a starving dog, I've been in the bathroom for most of the past hour) and someone bitched me out of on the phone for about 5 minutes before I could lean in and say "you know, I already fixed that.  Check your email", but all I'm seeing here is useless negativity. Teh Hate, per se.

Now if you'll excuse me, the porcelain god beckons.

-Rasix
AcidCat
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: December 20, 2004, 01:11:10 PM

You can call it a treadmill, a hamster wheel, or an electronic dog walking machine, it doesn't matter. All that matter is if you enjoy it or not. EVERY GAME EVER MADE IS NOTHING BUT A TIMESINK that nets you nothing but the enjoyment you had in the process. It doesn't matter if you're shooting zombies, fighting ninjas, or taking down gnolls, whatever, it's all a timesink. The ONLY difference is that MMO's don't tell you when to stop. If you really need that closure, when you can "officially" put the game away or sell it back to Gamestop with a feeling of completion, then no MMO will ever fulfill you. Otherwise, you can treat it like any other game and just stop playing when it's not fun anymore.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: December 20, 2004, 01:50:14 PM

Quote from: AcidCat

You can call it a treadmill, a hamster wheel, or an electronic dog walking machine, it doesn't matter. All that matter is if you enjoy it or not. EVERY GAME EVER MADE IS NOTHING BUT A TIMESINK that nets you nothing but the enjoyment you had in the process.

The issue is not the timesink, the issue is the skill-less repitition. Most games either are not extremely repetitive, or require some skill that counteracts the repetition.

MMORPGs are more like Final Fight, just the same thing over and over again. (I can zone out playing FF for a couple hours no problem by the way, but not hours a week for months)

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: Hello?.....  
Jump to: