Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:25:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Star Wars Episodes 1, 2, & 3 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Star Wars Episodes 1, 2, & 3  (Read 98730 times)
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #420 on: January 10, 2011, 12:43:26 PM

My reads on the Star Trek novels were...spotty, mostly due to a very boring summer and access to someone else's collection. I'd run out of my books already....

Final Reflections was just insanely good, though I thought the Duane and Hambly books were also good. I think the break down was about 60% pulpy, acceptable mindless crap, about 30% "Jesus Christ, how did this even get past the editor" and about 10% "Shit, this is why people watched Star Trek despite the crap set, actors, and effects".
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #421 on: January 10, 2011, 01:17:39 PM

If you watch the extensive making of footage for the LotR trilogy you notice a completely different way of making the movie vs. the Star Wars prequels.

They even had Andy Serkis actually swimming in a freezing cold river in a motion capture suit (it took them several hours and a lot of industrial fans to remove the snow and ice), to make Gollum more believable. (btw. worst Oscar snub ever, refusing him a best actor nomination because the character he played was animated).

But I don't care. I'll vote with my wallet and since I don't like the plasticky look I'll simply not spend money watching that stuff. I don't care if some director thinks it to be the best invention since sliced bread.

Lucas' tampering with the original trilogy and the utter crap that was the prequel trilogy have completely turned me off Star Wars. I'll always remember the pre special edition original trilogy (without all off the useless CGI crap and where Han shot before Greedo did) but I'll simply not buy the special edition or any of the prequel movies or grace Lucas with my money.

Maybe someday they'll release the unedited original trilogy (the digitally cleaned up version that was released on VHS for the 20th(?) anniversary in the silver and golden boxes) and not the laserdisc transfers (all current releases of the original non-special edition trilogy are transfers of the criterion collection laserdisc which is unfortunately not in HD and also letterboxed).

If they won't however it's no big deal anymore I've seen it the way it was supposed to be and today there is plenty of other great stuff to watch instead.

It's sad though how many stories Lucas already invented to justify not releasing the unedited trilogy. At first he told the press that the original masters were destroyed while making the special edition because of the reediting, now he claims that re-releasing the unedited trilogy would simple be too expensive. Yeah too expensive for a guy who has made liberally billions of dollars from the movies and merchandise.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #422 on: January 25, 2011, 06:16:27 PM

Someone on another forum I frequent (no not me you chucklefucks) wrote a 108-page rebuttal of RLM's Phantom Menace review. Here's the link if anyone's crazy enough to want to look.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=IFA1O2BI

awesome, for real

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #423 on: January 26, 2011, 02:28:45 AM

Sorry, i'm not interested in anything written by George Lucas  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Hic sunt dracones.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #424 on: January 26, 2011, 09:58:58 AM

I made it as far as the first page before I started reading it like an elaborate troll rather than a serious rebuttal. He has some fair points about Obi-wan and Qui-gon though.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 10:15:10 AM by Lorekeep »

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #425 on: January 26, 2011, 11:19:00 AM

I mostly just skimmed through it and stopped to read the screenshot comic strips and the little bit above them for context. Yeah look, not that the guy isn't a huge dork for writing a hundred page rebuttal of an internet Star Wars review, but the stuff he's saying isn't incorrect. Nobody watched Phantom Menace, then came home and said "Gee you know, when the two Jedi were in that hangar overlooking an army of thousands of battle droids, why DIDN'T they just jump down and start fighting them all?"

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #426 on: January 26, 2011, 11:55:28 AM

I wondered about it for a second, then said "Well because they'd be blown to smears, of course."  They ran from 2 destroyer droids, I figure there's more than 2 in that hangar.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Star Wars Episodes 1, 2, & 3  
Jump to: