Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:29:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: Vel freezes over? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vel freezes over?  (Read 24869 times)
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

on: June 22, 2009, 03:57:16 PM

West Karana says signs are pointing toward a Velious expansion.

That may make me log in to EQ2 and get the hell out of Kylong Plains...

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 07:43:42 AM

The nice thing about playing slowly and only for winter months is that I'll never run out of content :)
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 07:48:36 AM

The frost giants washing up on the shores in the last GU are kind of a hint :)

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Bandit
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 10:06:08 AM

"...producer Alan "Brenlo" Crosby discussed the game's sixth expansion, Sentinel's Fate, where players will travel to the land of Odus and see what's happened there since The Shattering.

He dropped a few details about this next expansion, slated for a February 2010 launch, and the updates they plan to release between now and Sentinel's Fate. These updates will include the ability to downtier characters, allowing you to go back and replay older content, plus achievements are coming to EverQuest II. In addition, the EQ II level cap will increase by ten levels. "

Just read it over at massively, from the SOE fanfaire... http://www.massively.com/2009/06/27/highlights-from-the-soe-fan-faire-2009-community-address/#continued
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 10:08:45 AM

I knew I was getting too close to the level cap. I predict I'll never cap out in EQ2 :P
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 10:25:50 AM

Same, I may cap out before February though.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: June 30, 2009, 12:25:10 PM

True. ~If~ I make it back by then. I'm still really backlogged with Drakensang, GTA4 and FFH2 goodness, and Dragon Age will be coming out between now and then (maybe).

If you discount UO, I've never hit the level cap of any MMO. I got to 54 in EQ when it was 60 and then they raised it a couple times as I hit an xp wall (death penalties rock!). I got to 58 in WoW my first time through, with the cap being 60. Cav is 75 right now....
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #7 on: July 06, 2009, 11:12:30 AM

The expansion is Odus/Halas in Feb 2010.

Features:
- level 90
- normal and hard raid options a la WoW
- self-mentoring
- a new Achievement system that reads like CoH's badge system. Has nothing to do with AAs.
- Halas as a good starting city
- an AA xp/combat xp slider
- weapons better than Mythicals
- bards and enchanter buffs going raidwide so we don't need 3 on a raid and more CC tools for raiding

This is all "unofficial" yet but it is leaking fast and furiously.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 11:14:04 AM by shiznitz »

I have never played WoW.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #8 on: July 06, 2009, 12:38:55 PM

Polar bear playable race please.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

"Me am play gods"
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: July 06, 2009, 01:13:30 PM

Count me as completely shocked by Odus. Nicely played by SOE, but I can't imagine there's a lot of people who are really excited about this. People want Velius. People were excited by Velius. And wasn't Odus the focus of that horrible expansion in EQ1 that nobody ever went to ever ever?

Chanter and bard buffs being raidwide make a certain kind of sense to me as they are considered to be pretty much mandatory for raiding. It will certainly make raiding easier. I don't know how the two classes will take it, probably a lot of people will go back to whatever they were playing before they took one for the team and rolled a chanter/bard because the guild needed one.

I like achievements, but I never understood the point in WoW as so few of them had titles or any real rewards. Titles were one of the most fun parts of COX's metagame. Provided it is as described, I'll enjoy this system a lot and I think it will be pretty popular with the non-raider EQ2ers who tend to be fun and RP-ish oriented.

Chorulle
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: July 06, 2009, 06:46:47 PM

Odus is the best they could manage as a new expansion?

Really?

Odus was a dump in EQ1 from release, the only people who ever spent time there were Erudite players and only as long as it took to get the hell off of it to Qeynos.  It was basically 2 city zones (Erudin and later Paineel) and a crappy outdoor zone between them.  Over the years they added a raid zone under Paineel (may have been there when they added Paineel in the first place), another small dungeon attached to Paineel and another outdoor zone that no one ever went to except druids looking to kite crap for XP (Stonebrunt Mts I think).  Even then no one paid any attention to Odus until the expansion (Pirates of Gunthak I think?).  It was useful for soloers and small groups at that point for money and some occasionally decent items to sell, but was never really that popular because it was a pain in the ass to reach anything of importance (the higher end / raid zones that did exist took a good amount to reach through all of the other zones).

Of all of the places in EQ1 to recreate in EQ2 I honestly think Odus would be the last on the list.  Velious would have been a much better choice for a large scale expansion.

"Saying that nobody needs more then web apps is like saying noone needs a fridge because we can all drive to T.G.I. goddamn Friday's for chicken wings"

- Walt Mosspuppet (Mike Arrington is wrong: Chrome OS won't matter)
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #11 on: July 06, 2009, 06:49:13 PM

Keep in mind The Shattering gives them the creative control to change anything without reason.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #12 on: July 06, 2009, 08:34:03 PM

I hope they keep the Hole.  You fall in, 97.2% of players die from it.  When you rez, 87% of players are left in the dark because they didn't bring a light source.  The only way out is to fumble around in the dark and leave the necromancer's area so you're KOS. 

Also, black people with big foreheads are awesome.  Only in purple dresses though.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #13 on: July 06, 2009, 10:08:47 PM

Keep in mind The Shattering gives them the creative control to change anything without reason.
Hell, try to name one place that resembles its EQ parent besides the basic theme.

"Me am play gods"
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: July 07, 2009, 08:59:02 AM

This.

I do think Velious would've been a better choice, but Hartsman isn't there anymore. Don't expect a lot of good decisions. I especially liked the completely skippable last expansion, zero need for me to buy!
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #15 on: July 07, 2009, 09:20:26 AM

I don't think Odus really implies much. It gives the diesigners a freer rein to do something interesting. Unfortunately, it sounds like the void theme is going to continue. I am guessing here but maybe Erudite magics are behind the void emergence.  Odus and Halas were not proximate in EQ1 so the fact that both are coming together suggests strongly that EQ1 will not be the model for this.

I have never played WoW.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: July 07, 2009, 09:28:56 AM

I thought they said they were done with the void theme for now?
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: July 07, 2009, 09:32:43 AM

The last expansion was kind of the best of times, the worst of times. The instance dungeons themselves are very well done. The shard armor opened up a lot of options for non-raiders.

However, the overland solo part of the expansion was just horrible. Not at all engaging and quests with long travel distances and not a single space in the expansion that doesn't have some kind of aggro mob on it. While I'm sure that's made whomever I purchased invisibility totems from by the scores quite happy, I'm not sure what else it accomplished. Some of the quests are pretty well done I guess. Putting on costumes and such, but mostly what I remember is travel being a horrible irritation.

shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #18 on: July 08, 2009, 02:22:35 PM

Travel is annoying in Moors to some extent despite the available mounts and the ballon machines. Still, aggro mobs aren't ever an issue with mount-enhanced run speeds.

I have never played WoW.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: July 08, 2009, 02:29:34 PM

If you're in a guild that's high enough level to get those mounts.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: July 08, 2009, 07:27:00 PM

If you're in a guild that's high enough level to get those mounts.

They won't make a different really--aggro radius doesn't adjust by mount. And it's the tedious sorting out of stuff all around you, not the longer distances. That's what invisibility is for.

I'm still on a freebie flying carpet.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: July 09, 2009, 07:50:02 AM

I actually dislike mounts, they make me huge and it's tougher to see what's going on, harvest, etc. Going to be tough to play another character beyond my wizard who has 44% run speed without a mount (jboots+wiz AA). Yes, I still wear jboots at level 75.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: July 09, 2009, 08:33:04 AM

I've never even gotten my jboots on Kathy. I agree on the mounts though. It's not that bad if you're running across country, but if you're trying to fight overland it's a pain. And worse in raids as people want them off for lag and targetting reasons, but someplace like VP you're constantly using them to run back from wipes. I loved the super speed on my dirge, but I just can't justify playing her until I get my AAs up and farm more shards.

Last night after posting that I picked this up.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #23 on: July 09, 2009, 10:26:38 AM

i just did a quest last week in Rillis that got me a rhino that ups my travel speed by 55%. No cash involved, no guild requirements.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: July 09, 2009, 10:53:12 AM

Yeah, I just got that before I dropped off for the summer.

But it's huge. Should have a 'hide mount' option   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: July 09, 2009, 10:55:10 AM

I'm barely playing AoC and now you're trying to drag me back to EQ2.  I hate you people!

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: July 09, 2009, 11:02:34 AM

Play an Arasai (or a Faerie if you must) and mount size isn't such a problem.  My Shadow Knight might be as tall as an elf when riding hers.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: July 09, 2009, 11:09:33 AM

Play an Arasai (or a Faerie if you must) and mount size isn't such a problem.  My Shadow Knight might be as tall as an elf when riding hers.

Our swash has every kind of miniaturization in the game I assume. She's about up to my knee and I honestly don't even know what race she is. She just looks like a toy rhino running around.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: July 09, 2009, 12:06:21 PM

I'm barely playing AoC and now you're trying to drag me back to EQ2.  I hate you people!
Eh, I'm going to play AoC for at least a month :)

Hint: play the carebear server ;)
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: July 09, 2009, 12:08:10 PM

Hint: play the carebear server ;)

You'll see me there more after the 16th.  I have my daughter until then and I refuse to play much online while she's here. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: July 09, 2009, 12:29:51 PM

Cool beans, glad you're getting some time with her! Games are always lowest priority.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: Vel freezes over?  
Jump to: