Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:11:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: The Daily Show 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Daily Show  (Read 132810 times)
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #490 on: March 30, 2015, 11:33:22 AM

From what I understand Stewart had been trying to get Noah on the show for a while.  I think it's highly probable Stewart picked this guy, and his recent addition late last year was only to get his name in front of the usual audience.  I don't think anyone can fill Stewart's shoes, but then, Stewart took a completely different show and changed it into his own thing and if anything he's shown he can pick comedic talent.  I'm more than willing to give Noah a shot, and if I'm wrong that'll be a shame but not the end of the world.  Oliver is at the very least a spiritual successor.

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #491 on: March 31, 2015, 11:34:14 AM

I was hoping for Aasif Mandvi to take over hosting duties.  C'est la vie.

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #492 on: March 31, 2015, 12:18:51 PM

Somebody needs to tell Trevor that a person can not be "half-Jewish".

Edit: a
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 10:11:03 AM by Trippy »
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #493 on: March 31, 2015, 01:10:13 PM

Somebody needs to tell Trevor that person can not be "half-Jewish".

*cough*

--Signature Unclear
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #494 on: April 04, 2015, 06:46:00 AM

Somebody needs to tell Trevor that person can not be "half-Jewish".

Head scratch
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #495 on: April 04, 2015, 10:10:24 AM

Some people have been calling him anti-Semitic because of some tweets and others are defending him cause he says his mom is "half Jewish".
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 10:11:58 AM by Trippy »
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #496 on: April 04, 2015, 12:19:31 PM

Best way for him to not be castrated in the media is to be as jewish as he can.  I think that tweet strategy is sound.  awesome, for real
I'm gonna give Noah a chance because that's essentially what we had to do with Stewart; and look what happened.  Also, there's something about a bi-racial underwear model south-african waxing political that gives me the giggles.  There is some carte blanche he'll have because of that.

Regardless, it's obvious they want to shift demographics.  They'll lose some viewers and gain some others.  A net loss to be sure, but not a total one I surmise.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 12:31:41 PM by Ghambit »

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #497 on: April 18, 2015, 09:50:14 AM

“Don’t you think the perfect choice to replace that Jon Stewart fella would have been you?” asked George Lucas at a Tribeca Film Festival panel. “And now you’re working at Late Show where nobody sees you. Who stays up past 1 a.m.? Wouldn’t you say, I’m taking over the crown?”

Colbert replied, “I don’t want to be the guy who takes over for Jon Stewart. I’ve worked with him, and my memories of him is that he’s the keenest, most intelligent, most beautifully deconstructive mind—the clearest thinker I ever worked for. I would never get underneath his shadow. Someone else who doesn’t love him as much might have a better time on that show than I ever would.”

if at last you do succeed, never try again
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #498 on: July 01, 2015, 08:25:52 PM

CC is re-running all the Daily Shows for the whole of the last month of it. As I type he's getting ready for W's inauguration.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #499 on: July 01, 2015, 09:51:29 PM

CC is re-running all the Daily Shows for the whole of the last month of it. As I type he's getting ready for W's inauguration.

To clarify, the CC website is running said marathon.

http://www.cc.com/events/month-of-zen/live.html
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 10:09:00 PM by sickrubik »

beer geek.
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #500 on: August 06, 2015, 10:32:20 PM

And it's over :( The finale was okay. Overall, I'm simply going to miss this show with Jon at the helm and I'm hoping the next dude (the South African guy) does well enough
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 10:35:29 PM by Segoris »
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #501 on: September 29, 2015, 08:39:42 AM

So first impression of Trevor Noah is he seems quite charismatic.  His first show is too soon to say how funny and/or biting the overall show will be with him, but I can say he has a very long way to go with the interviews.  I already like Noah way more than Larry Wilmore at least.

Over and out.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #502 on: September 29, 2015, 12:49:35 PM

So first impression of Trevor Noah is he seems quite charismatic.  His first show is too soon to say how funny and/or biting the overall show will be with him, but I can say he has a very long way to go with the interviews.  I already like Noah way more than Larry Wilmore at least.

Really? I like Larry's show now - at first I didn't, but I like the new format.

- Viin
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #503 on: September 29, 2015, 12:59:29 PM

I think Wilmore's show has found its feet. It had some awkwardness at first but the format is growing on me. It's not as funny as Colbert was, but it's still worth watching.

I liked the first Trevor Noah episode of the Daily Show as well. He's not Jon Stewart but he's funny in his own right.

schild
Administrator

Reply #504 on: September 29, 2015, 03:30:15 PM

He was ok.

As expected, liberalism and jokes about him being black.

Hopefully he stops being skinny African Margaret Cho within a few episodes.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #505 on: September 30, 2015, 07:55:16 AM

I cringed a little when he straight-up stole the aides joke from South Park, but otherwise thought he's been fine.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #506 on: July 22, 2016, 09:35:26 AM

*arise... but only a little.

Not the Daily Show, but Jon was on Colbert and rekindled a bit of his old self.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNiqpBNE9ik

Hope he continues to do these once or twice a year...

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #507 on: July 22, 2016, 09:50:57 AM

For some reason I just can't handle him with a beard.. throws me off every time.

- Viin
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #508 on: July 22, 2016, 10:09:01 AM

Goddamn that was so much awesome. I miss that motherfucker.

RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #509 on: July 22, 2016, 10:34:31 AM

He hasn't lost a beat at all by being off.  That was so much great packed into 10 minutes.

Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #510 on: July 25, 2016, 11:40:05 PM

It also shows how much worse Trevor Noah is in contrast. Poor guy squandered the chance he never had.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #511 on: July 26, 2016, 08:45:05 AM

I teared up a little.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Terracotta Army

Reply #512 on: July 26, 2016, 09:04:48 AM

It also shows how much worse Trevor Noah is in contrast. Poor guy squandered the chance he never had.

Umm... huh?

Daily Show should have died when Jon left. Trevor is fine, but he can't fill that seat.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #513 on: July 26, 2016, 09:07:47 AM

Everybody was bound to fail following Jon Stewart is what I meant.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #514 on: July 26, 2016, 09:28:08 AM

Noah sucks. Can't really watch the show anymore. Wilmore is aight, even if it is a pretty hard FUBU bias (and he whines a little as an annoying tic).

TDS should've gone to John Oliver, who is absolutely killing it with his new series that's on some pay channel but I watch on Youtube. Spiritual successor to TDS imo.
Terracotta Army

Reply #515 on: July 26, 2016, 10:21:52 AM

Noah sucks. Can't really watch the show anymore. Wilmore is aight, even if it is a pretty hard FUBU bias (and he whines a little as an annoying tic).

TDS should've gone to John Oliver, who is absolutely killing it with his new series that's on some pay channel but I watch on Youtube. Spiritual successor to TDS imo.

Agreed. But I really think TDS should have ended and Trevor's show should have been something else. Problem with that would have been too many spinoffs of the show. Oliver is fantastic, and was filling in for Jon when he was off making his movie. That said, I think Last Week Tonight works better for Oliver rather than having TDS-lite with John Oliver.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #516 on: July 26, 2016, 11:29:59 AM

Last Week Tonight works so well because they can laser focus on a few stories instead of shotgunning multiples. I like Trevor Noah and Wilmore both but their shows aren't as good. But there's no way Comedy Central was going to kill The Daily Show, seeing as how it was a consistent ratings getter for them for over a decade. Keep the money spinner spinning.

If you haven't watched it, Sam Bee's show Full Frontal is KILLING it. It is almost as good as Last Week Tonight.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #517 on: July 26, 2016, 11:38:09 AM

I keep forgetting about hers. I'm not good with tv, even though CC is my power-on channel.

Partly why I catch Oliver's show, it pops up on my youtube page.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #518 on: July 26, 2016, 11:56:51 AM

Well, Sam Bee's show is on TBS, which is probably why you haven't seen it.  why so serious?

schild
Administrator

Reply #519 on: July 26, 2016, 12:10:15 PM

It belongs on TBS. It's garbage. She is genuinely terrible.
Terracotta Army

Reply #520 on: July 26, 2016, 01:02:23 PM

It belongs on TBS. It's garbage. She is genuinely terrible.

Agreed. I could never stand her comedy style and her delivery. Just too much.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #521 on: July 26, 2016, 01:19:24 PM

MISOGYNIST!!!  why so serious?

JK. I think she's hilarious and she's got good writers but everybody is entitled to their opinion.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #522 on: July 26, 2016, 02:16:26 PM

I watched bits of it on YT. I think her material is excellent but I don't like her delivery much.

Hic sunt dracones.
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #523 on: July 27, 2016, 04:08:50 PM

Samantha Bee *Full Frontal* show is OK -- I think she needs to cool it on the coke or pep pills or whatever she's gulping down to prance around the stage like a maniac.

Trevor Noah show is OK too -- & sometimes he hits a comedy note in the league of what Stewart used to do. Stewart wasn't "always on" either in his time on the show, especially toward the end (not final shows which he was amped up for, but last year or two) he seemed to be phoning it in.

But the difference was while Noah still concocts some funny bits on the news in the vein of what Stewart did, Stewart was less about commenting on the news than deconstructing the ideological markers in cable/network news. He taught a generation (millennials and gen-x) how to see through bullshit and exposed banality of evil. That's a feat, that Noah being an immigrant, is incapable of.

Larry Wilmore opening bits are better than all rest (usually, he swings and misses sometimes) sans maybe John Oliver (but doing a show once a week it's easier to hit than 4X a week) but the rest of the show is awful. His "correspondents" are not funny at all (except the dude that does a pretty good Trump impersonation) and the panel deal wreaks of "try too hard".

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #524 on: July 27, 2016, 04:42:34 PM

Larry's show isn't comedy to me though. It's more a commentary show, which is fine if that's what you're looking for. Personally, I like it, but I'm also not looking for it to be stinging barbs or yuks every minute.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: The Daily Show  
Jump to: