Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:08:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  But is it Fun?  |  Topic: Sword of the Stars - Kerberos Productions Inc. - PC 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sword of the Stars - Kerberos Productions Inc. - PC  (Read 47510 times)
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #70 on: August 12, 2009, 06:28:54 AM

When I order my ships to destroy it, they match X and Y location, point their noses at it, then SIT THERE AND DO NOTHING because it's out of range, but they won't leave the 2D plane to go attack.
Use the 'pursue' combat stance. That's what it's for.

Ship damage information.  I can't see it?  Seriously?  I have to look for fucking sparks on my goddamn ships to see if they're damaged or not?
It's part of the tech tree; no, you can't see it early in the game :/

The tech tree randomness feels really painful in this game in a way I don't get in others I've played, too.  I think it's because of the complete lack of espionage and the fact that you can't request tech trades from your allies, you just have to wait and see if they'll pipe up and offer a trade (not to mention even a tech trade with your ally takes an insane amount of turns).  It means I just can't fill holes in my tech tree very well at all, especially if I'm getting my ass kicked because I don't have decent weapons or defense tech.  I have to win battles to even have a CHANCE to salvage shit, and usually when I salvage stuff it's either something completely outdated and useless (just recently I salvaged Recombinant Fissionables - at turn 180, deep in the Antimatter era) or in an entirely different tech tree than I need (hey look some nice advanced biotech, but I really kinda need weapons cause I didn't get impactors or phasers or heavy fusion or antimatter cannons).
Diplomacy is pretty sucky, but theoretically you're supposed to be able to trade techs with your allies once you go up one or two techs in the xeno tree. I thought you could request techs. Not sure, never done it. I agree this needs work.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: August 12, 2009, 09:19:11 AM

I'm working on unlocking the entire Liir xeno tree in a current game.  I'll let you know if I see something about specifying a tech request.  I know there is something about having to have Science stations in combination with some other xeno techs to do research stuff cross culturally.

Otherwise, I pretty much agree with with his points but not strongly enough to not completely enjoy this game.  The tech tree randomness is actually a strong point for me, it gives the game a lot of extra longevity that it wouldn't have with a static tree and 'optimal' paths.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Kokan
Terracotta Army

Reply #72 on: May 04, 2010, 03:56:11 AM

Ship damage information.  I can't see it?  Seriously?  I have to look for fucking sparks on my goddamn ships to see if they're damaged or not?  This is the bloody future, what fleet admiral doesn't have an exact damage report from all his ships available during battle?  Sure, maybe in a fight with no command and control ship to coordinate and recieve/transmit this information, but if I've got a functioning C&C ship I should be able to tell the exact health status of each ship in general, and depending on how much data I want to display on my screen, tell how much health each ship section has, and how many weapons are still functional and undestroyed.

Hey, hope someone still watchs this.. I just found it and must tell you that early on the game there is SOME intel about the status on the ships. Go to tactical and then press the "i" button on the lower part of the screen, this will provide you with a health status on the ships: Green, Yellow and Red.

The tech tree randomness feels really painful in this game in a way I don't get in others I've played, too.  I think it's because of the complete lack of espionage and the fact that you can't request tech trades from your allies, you just have to wait and see if they'll pipe up and offer a trade (not to mention even a tech trade with your ally takes an insane amount of turns).  It means I just can't fill holes in my tech tree very well at all, especially if I'm getting my ass kicked because I don't have decent weapons or defense tech.  I have to win battles to even have a CHANCE to salvage shit, and usually when I salvage stuff it's either something completely outdated and useless (just recently I salvaged Recombinant Fissionables - at turn 180, deep in the Antimatter era) or in an entirely different tech tree than I need (hey look some nice advanced biotech, but I really kinda need weapons cause I didn't get impactors or phasers or heavy fusion or antimatter cannons).

About spionage... actually it is available, its hidden but there lol, I actually found it recently when playing a game a with a friend here is the link for more information: http://sots.rorschach.net/Spy. I can tell you. a cloaked ship to deploy the spy is the best tactic :D, and they do provide good intel, it just takes time.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: May 17, 2010, 06:37:05 AM

Started my first game as Morrigi last night.  Since they start with counters to most of the early game hazards it makes that initial expansion period a lot less intriguing than with other races.

It seems like something that would be horribly broken in multiplayer.  Rather than be stymied in expansion to that perfect planet for 15 or 20 turns while you develop fleets and tech to overcome the protection on it you just get a fat little bonus to income and tech and can land right away.

In single player though it made the early 40 turns or so pretty boring.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  But is it Fun?  |  Topic: Sword of the Stars - Kerberos Productions Inc. - PC  
Jump to: