Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:09:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Browser-Based Titles  |  Topic: Facebook Games - Mafia Wars, et al. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Facebook Games - Mafia Wars, et al.  (Read 100837 times)
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

on: June 17, 2009, 09:25:20 AM

Facebook games are awfully popular, but terribly flawed.  The one I have the most experience with is Mafia Wars but I've played with Pet Society, My Farm, and a few others.

Are there any non-terribly-flawed games that people have found?  It seems like a great medium for browser games, but so far I'm pretty disappointed in what I've seen.

Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 04:19:01 PM

All the ones I've seen are crap.

- Viin
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 04:21:33 PM

I like Word Challenge.  And I play Mafia Wars even though it's mostly crap.   awesome, for real

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
WayAbvPar

Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 12:22:13 PM

Mafia Wars is terrible but I play it religiously. It is like crack.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009, 03:32:52 PM

It is terrible and it is like crack.

I want a non-terrible game if it's like crack.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 02:35:49 PM

I don't think Mafia Wars is terribly good per se, but the following two points make it non-terrible compared to most web games:

1) "Recruiting" friends to the game offers reciprocal benefits rather than being a pyramid scheme.
2) You don't lose all your shit if you take a week off and let people beat you up.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: July 10, 2009, 07:55:49 AM

Mafia wars is awful, I play it too.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
chargerrich
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: July 10, 2009, 07:58:31 AM

My wife plans Farm Town... looks gay to me but she says its addicting and now has my son playing  ACK!

I.Refuse.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #8 on: July 10, 2009, 06:36:46 PM

I'm not sure if any of you guys do the iPhone game thing, but there are about a million Mafia Wars clones on it. I tried a few, usually got bored in about 30 minutes of /played.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #9 on: July 10, 2009, 08:08:03 PM

Restaurant City is not bad, especially if you like Sims-style stuff.  It makes for a very nice virtual fishtank sort of thing; you set up your restaurant and then just watch your little guys run around waiting tables and collecting money.  My biggest gripe is that it's still beta and they're working out some stability problems.

Also by Playfish, Word Challenge is lots of fun, although not a MMOG (it's single-player competitive).

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #10 on: July 10, 2009, 08:56:37 PM

I could never get into Mafia Wars and Vampire whatever.. for some reason I've become addicted to Street Racing though..
schild
Administrator

Reply #11 on: July 10, 2009, 09:06:01 PM

snip

Grats on posting over 9000 times.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #12 on: July 10, 2009, 11:17:37 PM

Holy shit, I didn't even notice. 

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #13 on: July 15, 2009, 12:27:31 AM

Restaurant City is not bad, especially if you like Sims-style stuff.  It makes for a very nice virtual fishtank sort of thing; you set up your restaurant and then just watch your little guys run around waiting tables and collecting money.  My biggest gripe is that it's still beta and they're working out some stability problems.

Also by Playfish, Word Challenge is lots of fun, although not a MMOG (it's single-player competitive).

I kind of like Restaurant City too.. The artwork and animations are funny. And.. well.. it least it has graphics in the first place (unlike the Zynga titles). I liked it enough that I RMT'ed $5 with it.  swamp poop Yes, yes, it's pretty sad.  why so serious? I kept changing the theme  of my restaurant and ran out of cash quick. First it was Big Kahuna, then the ThaiPod, now the Ramen Rocket (it'll probably be years before I can afford the actual rocket prop though.. and hell no, I'm not rmt'ing for it).

[edit] I think I'll RMT for a copy of Sims 3. I seem to be in the mood for that.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 12:36:04 AM by stray »
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: August 05, 2009, 11:27:07 AM

I just noticed an old friend of the family has started playing Farmville avidly it seems. In a weird twist of events he used to be a real farmer back in the day & I remember helping to herd his hundred of cows as a child on a yearly visit.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: August 11, 2009, 11:00:10 AM

Farmville has sucked me in more than MafiaWars, even.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #16 on: August 11, 2009, 11:08:06 AM

Farmville has sucked me in more than MafiaWars, even.

Yep - and if i get one more god damn chicken from a friend I am going to turf their farm.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: September 30, 2009, 11:06:21 AM

Zynga Is On A Tear; Claims Nearly 130 Million Social Gamers
http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/09/30/zynga-is-on-a-tear-claims-nearly-130-million-social-gamers/

Social gaming startup Zynga is seeing some impressive traction. It now boats 129 million monthly active users across its portfolio of more than 30 games, according to both Inside Facebook’s AppData(see chart) and Developer Analytics. That’s up from about 50 million three months ago, and 30 million in April.

Zynga’s most popular games are FarmVille (the most popular game on Facebook with 50 million cumulative players), Mafia Wars (the second most popular game on Facebook with 25 million), Zynga Poker, and YoVille. The majority of Zynga’s users play its games on Facebook, but it also has games Bebo, Hi5, MySapce, and Friendster.

Just about all of my office does Mafia Wars, about half do FarmVille — I've rejected and blocked these, though I have played Zynga Poker via Facebook (and via a pretty nifty iPhone app). Not all the players come from FB either, as it seems they've penetrated other social networks too…

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: October 05, 2009, 02:36:34 PM

My girlfriend who never played a video game in her life is addicted to Farm Ville.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: November 10, 2009, 04:47:05 PM

Civilization Network soon to be coming to Facebook - in 2010.

http://www.facebook.com/civnetwork

schild
Administrator

Reply #20 on: November 10, 2009, 04:48:42 PM

Heh.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: November 15, 2009, 12:11:56 PM

Zynga's Cafe World is it for me right now, although that's surely because I haven't quite figured out how to zoom in it yet without spending all my time flipping burgers.

Ponzi is fun too and nicer in that I can visit it less often, and don't actually have to play as much.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: January 15, 2010, 03:48:28 PM

Metaplace came out with Island Life, which is farming on an island.  It's completely derivative so far, which is disappointing.  What's the point, exactly?

Fishing game - Fish A Fish.  Not for raising fish like Fishville or Fish World, but for catching them.
Raph
Developers

Title delayed while we "find the fun."

Reply #23 on: January 16, 2010, 11:31:18 PM

Metaplace came out with Island Life, which is farming on an island.  It's completely derivative so far, which is disappointing.  What's the point, exactly?

Well, it's MMO multiplayer from the get-go, which is one difference. Ho paround to your neighbors -- watch for the online indicator in the neighbor bar. :)

We also just released island expansion, which lets you scuplt your own island to a degree.

Expect more... we can turn this into pretty much anything from here. :)
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #24 on: January 18, 2010, 10:35:31 AM

Expect more... we can turn this into pretty much anything from here. :)

Turn it into pre-CU SW:G. More epic threads needed.

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: January 18, 2010, 12:23:02 PM

That'd be sweet!

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: February 01, 2010, 06:19:16 AM

I just started out on Island Life and this weekend.  It really screams for a fishing mini-game that you can play while you chat with your friends and wait for your crops to grow.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #27 on: February 01, 2010, 07:07:55 AM

I've been fiddling with it a little, too, though usually only once every day or two.  I don't know what's planned for it but I'm interested to see what happens.  I'll be happier once I can turn my fence pieces around and make a little enclosure.  I have to have some sort of enclosure in every Facebook game I play for some bizarre reason.  I guess it's a mental thingy.  Anyway, so far I'm playing Cafe World, Island Life (not often), Farmville, and I have that City of Eternal beta invite but haven't done anything.  I was hoping someone here would tell me whether or not to bother.  I was playing Mafia Wars but haven't for a few weeks.  I still respond to present requests, though.  This is what happens when you can't find a proper game to play and need something to do while folding laundry.

I agree that a fishing mini-game would be nice.  And something pirate-y, maybe.  Something, besides the chat feature, to distinguish it further from Farmville.

Ok, Ponzi is my new favourite.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 09:48:32 AM by Signe »

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
schild
Administrator

Reply #28 on: February 02, 2010, 10:09:01 AM

Ok, Ponzi is my new favourite.

How kind, you didn't have to say that though.
Musashi
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: February 02, 2010, 10:20:31 AM

Is this your work?

AKA Gyoza
schild
Administrator

Reply #30 on: February 02, 2010, 10:33:31 AM

Some of my handiwork may be present, yes.
Musashi
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: February 02, 2010, 10:45:00 AM

Addicting.  Fuck.

AKA Gyoza
Musashi
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: February 02, 2010, 10:50:18 AM

Also.  Found a bug.

AKA Gyoza
schild
Administrator

Reply #33 on: February 02, 2010, 10:51:16 AM

Bugs happen.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #34 on: February 02, 2010, 11:25:55 AM

I remember this game now -- I got to a certain level and it told me I had to get a friend to join to go any further, so I blocked it.   awesome, for real

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Browser-Based Titles  |  Topic: Facebook Games - Mafia Wars, et al.  
Jump to: