Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:06:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: US Open 2009 (Golf) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: US Open 2009 (Golf)  (Read 5059 times)
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

on: June 16, 2009, 12:07:27 PM

Father's Day Weekend, Bethpage Black, Tiger Woods, and possibly terrible conditions. These are just a few of the things that can make this year's US Open an epic match. Can it possibly live up to Tiger hobbling around on one leg to win in 91 holes? Hell no, that's just not possible. However, it is being held at one of the hardest courses in possibly extremely wet conditions.

Tiger's going for his 4th US Open title, which would tie him at the most wins with Jack Nicklaus, Bobby Jones, Ben Hogan, and Willie Anderson. Nobody has won back to back US Open titles since Curtis Strange over 20 years ago. He's coming off a win at his last tournament, he's putting well, and he drove the ball in the fairway over 85% of the time at the Memorial. If he put those numbers up at the Open, it would be a complete runaway. The truth is that he simply can't. This is the hardest format in all of golf, where being even par puts you in winning contention.

So what are your predictions? Who will be the dark horse that challenges the field? Who will win? Will Tiger be challenged? I think it's Tiger's tournament to lose due to his absolute mental control in the majors, and Phil Mickelson is absolutely tanking lately which can't be helped by his wife being diagnosed with cancer. Phil doesn't have the mental control to win in this type of format. I think the dark horse candidate is probably Angel Cabrera, who just seems to perform lately in any major.

I'm ready for some golf!
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 12:10:02 PM by Paelos »

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
WayAbvPar

Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 10:01:07 AM

Looking forward to it. I always have my dad over the watch the final round for Father's Day. Hopefully there is some Sunday drama.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 10:25:38 AM

I will have to make sure I use Father's Day as leverage for watching it on the tube all weekend.

I'm a little torn regarding the US Open, I'll admit.  They basically make it stupidly hard.  It can be riveting, but also brutally unfair.

Mickelson's wife says she needs a US Open trophy.  Kind of a lot of pressure to put on the guy right now.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 12:03:17 PM

I think she knows better than anyone how to motivate Phil. I know for a fact that she wants him focused on his golf game this weekend rather than worrying.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 12:21:31 PM

You're probably right.  I think my problem is that I am in the seemingly tiny minority of people that think Phil is a shit eating douchegobbler.  So, I basically want him to fail.

Edit:  I spelled "douche" incorrectly.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 01:23:44 PM by Cyrrex »

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 01:02:42 PM

You're not, I think he's a complete ass. He's an over-rated shitheel who plays nice in front of the camera and then pisses off the rest of the field in the locker room. Tiger's caddy called it right when he said he was a dick, but he made the mistake of doing it in public. Phil's got the wool over many people's eyes on what a personal tool he can be. That would be fine if he had Tiger's wins and talent, but he's not even close.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: June 17, 2009, 01:24:31 PM

Amen to that.  Glad I'm not the only one.

WayAbvPar

Reply #7 on: June 17, 2009, 01:47:02 PM

I have been driving the "Phil Mickelson is a douchenozzle" bandwagon for years. It really pains me because he is a lefty like I am, and I have so few to root for on the tour (where have you gone, Mike Weir?).

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #8 on: June 17, 2009, 01:51:23 PM

I like Angel Cabrera, Bubba Watson, Davis Love III, Justin Leonard, and Kenny Perry. I enjoy watching Tiger play, but I don't enjoy watching him beat someone who is an upstart and has a chance to get take him down in a close one.

I can't stand Rocco Mediate, Phil, or Sergio Garcia. I'm on the fence with Camillo Villegas because he went to Florida and has awful AWFUL hair.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: June 18, 2009, 06:32:30 AM

I always root for the international players...partly because I was myself living abroad for so long, and also because I generally go for the underdog.  So when Angel snuck up and beat Perry, I was actually thrilled.

WayAbvPar

Reply #10 on: June 18, 2009, 10:07:02 AM

Sounds like the course is soaking wet with rain predicted the entire week. That will definitely lower the scores, since the greens can't be too fast when the ball sends up a rooster tail as it rolls.

SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: June 18, 2009, 12:58:07 PM

All the PhillyMick hate  Heartbreak.  I love the guy.  He's about the only person on tour with as much (or more) physical talent that Woods has, but just doesn't have the mental toughness or course management skills / self control that Woods has.  No one does.  And that translates into Woods greatest strength:  His putter.  He is, without a doubt the best putter ever. 
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: June 18, 2009, 01:53:13 PM

Even the way you just wrote "PhillyMick" makes me want to punch him in his perfect teeth.  I hope he shoots +17 for his first round, so that we don't have to hear about how Phil winning the Open would be the greatest golfing feat ever.  Never mind Tiger's broken leg and shattered knee last year.  If it comes down to those two on day 4, Tiger will eat Phil's liver.

SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: June 18, 2009, 02:19:15 PM

Heh.  Yeah, ol' Phil has a fairly polarized following.  You either love him or hate him. 

He does come across in interviews as a bit flighty, as if he's thinking about every single thing before he says it.  A little too antiseptic or corporate at times.

I think what gets under the skin of the other golfers that don't like him is 'He's that goddamn good but rarely practices and has man tits???'.  Golf is just something he does to make a living. 

Interesting tidbit about Phil:  He laid down a $20,000 bet before the season that the Baltimore Ravens would win Super Bowl XXXV.  Then later put down another $20K that the Arizona Diamondbacks would win the World Series the same year.  Won them both.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #14 on: June 18, 2009, 02:25:10 PM

Other golfers hate him because he acts like Shooter McGavin in the locker room. He thinks his shit doesn't stink and he acts like it off camera. The problem is, he's not even close to golfing force he thinks he is.

In golfing history, his career will be an extremely minor footnote of this generation.

SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: June 18, 2009, 04:20:40 PM

Anyone playing during the Tiger Woods era is going to be a footnote.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #16 on: June 18, 2009, 05:51:11 PM

Yeah that was pretty much my point. Also, good lord it's supposed to rain Saturday as well. This tournament will NEVER be done before Monday at this rate.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #17 on: June 19, 2009, 12:29:44 AM

Better not cut into what passes for Wimbledon coverage nowadays.

-Rasix
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: June 19, 2009, 12:33:50 AM

Phil reminds me of most of the congressmen I have met in person.  That's not a compliment. 

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #19 on: June 19, 2009, 01:42:46 PM

Weir is tearing it up.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: June 20, 2009, 12:13:12 AM

Good to see David Duval playing pretty well (67 1st round).  I know he hasn't got much for personality (as in zero), but it was a shame how his swing just completely left him after winning the British Open way back when (99?).  I read a severe case of vertigo popped up and he couldn't even begin to look down without falling over.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: US Open 2009 (Golf)  
Jump to: