Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 07:04:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Browser-Based Titles  |  Topic: Invasion 3042 (Battletech MMO) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Invasion 3042 (Battletech MMO)  (Read 10642 times)
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

on: June 10, 2009, 12:05:10 AM

[let the flood of views begin]   DRILLING AND MANLINESS

http://www.invasion3042.com

Welp, someone has just gone out and recreated the Classic Battletech universe in a small, hardcore MMO format (currently in beta).  It's not truly a browser-game, since there is a small client that must run, but there are web-based elements including an integrated IRC-chat client.  A bit of a warning though:  this is as crunch as it gets.  It puts you in command of your own Battletech empire and sets you lose with multitudes of "excel spreadsheets" with a sprinkling of graphical elements, mostly related to battlemaps.  It has elements covering just about everything from the 3042 timeline, all the way from customizing mechs up to organizing fleet structure, deployments, politics, etc.  Ingrained within all this is an economic/empire-building system.

This is a serious game.  Probably the equivalent of that Starfleet Battles MMO that I saw not too long ago, only done with Battletech.  I've only just come across this and only browsed at it for a few minutes, but it was enough to warrant a thread in here.

Probably too crunch for most of us, including me.  But worth a look-see if you've got the gutz.  For all I know the game could be seriously borked, but I just couldnt contain myself when I saw it.  So, have at it BattleTech fanbois.

p.s.
I have no idea how this guy got around the Copyright issues, and chances are he's gonna get nailed if this becomes too big.  So far, he's getting by on a "not-for-profit" mantra coupled with heavy citing of original lore.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 12:26:53 AM

It's so hardcore even BT grognards are afraid to try it awesome, for real
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 12:38:39 AM

Found out it's currently missing the AeroSpace and some of the BattleSpace components like dropships... which given the complexity is probably a good thing.  I think CityTech is in there though.
Evidently, it's been under dev. for about 2 years so far (by 1 crazed lunatic owner/designer) and is still a work in progress.  But, it's playable.  Most people are Clan of course.  I'm more of an Inner Sphere guy myself.  Roughing it on the outer worlds aint my style.   

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 10:12:25 AM

Looking it over.  If I download I'll give my impressions.  I'd be Inner Sphere, too.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 11:07:27 AM

Looking it over.  If I download I'll give my impressions.  I'd be Inner Sphere, too.

I knew you'd be here Lantyssa.    Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
You have more the mind than I do for this, but I might just dig into it.  I'm ingame as "Blackhawke" of the Empire "Maris Paradis", currently of the Safe House.
I assume down the road we can make a "Bat Country" alliance.

Here's a link to screenies (images too big to post):
http://www.invasion3042.com/i/screenshots
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 11:09:21 AM by Ghambit »

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 04:04:19 PM

Maybe.  I'm always Steiner or Pirate, so we'll have to see how in-game alliances work.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #6 on: June 10, 2009, 04:10:02 PM

Someone alert Fordel!

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: June 10, 2009, 04:18:30 PM

I think my brain melted down simulatenously from the awesome and also the pure terror of this idea.

beer geek.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: June 10, 2009, 05:51:03 PM

« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 06:08:20 PM by Ghambit »

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: June 10, 2009, 10:26:34 PM

I need to delve into the forums to figure out how to get out of the safe zone.  I'm guessing leveling up and going after the pirates or such.  I've figured out where I'd like to go if allowed though.

In as Commander Ailuria Fulgens of the Red Panda Platoon.  Promo code "Red Panda" if anyone is thinking of joining.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: June 15, 2009, 11:00:36 AM

Update after a few days of play:

For the moment I am taking the long, hard slog of being cheap.  Donations give some nice boosts, especially for a starting player, however as a starting player I am unsure if I want to play.  You can easily boostrap your empire by spending a few bucks.  I am patient though, so for now I shall continue on this route.

To begin with you have to select whether you are Inner Sphere or Clan.  This will start you in a Safe House/Clan.  You can apply to join a real one, however I am waiting a bit before leaving.  (Ultimately I want to join the Belt Pirates.  Not sure if that is feasible as they seem to have no empires at this time.)

As a new empire, you start with $100k Icash, 250 Rpoints, 250 Bpoints, and 100 people.  If you enter a promo code at creation (such as Red Panda), then you start with $200k Icash and the promo empire gets a small bonus (I do not know what at this point).  The 'currency' of the game consists of Icash and several types of points which serve as people-hours.  These are cash, building points, research points, training points, repair points, mining points, and food.

There are limits to how many people you can have assigned to a specific task.  Researching technologies (Rpoints) lets you make new buildings and raise these limits.    The number of people performing a task determines how many points you get per period.  All of the points are 1:1.  Cash is 20:1 commerce plus one per person in your empire.  Some jobs have a cost as well, however, so it is necessary to balance commerce and costs.  Food production is random, but averages 12-13 per unit.  As a new player, max all of the available categories with the remainder going to farms.  You may not use some of these points immediately, however it means there will be a surplus when you do need them.

For research, you want to focus on Empire Specific tasks.  Get Production and Housing first.  Lots of both.  Research and Commerce will be next, as they are both more expensive and produce smaller returns at this stage of the game.  Eventually they will be important, though, and if you have the production capability you can build either of them quickly.  Farms should be last on your list as it starts with the highest limit which can easily feed 1250 people before needing your first facility.  Do not worry about space limitations at this time as there is plenty for a starting empire and you can replace buildings as your tech improves.  Just build.

There are other categories which I have not started to research.  Without infrastructure they will not do you much good.  Hopefully I will be able to explore these and share my findings soon.  My military expansion is likewise on standby.

Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: June 15, 2009, 11:44:13 AM

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: June 15, 2009, 03:07:45 PM

Your graphical reference means nothing to me.

Also I think you meant:

(I'm not saying this game is awesome, I'm just trying to explain my findings and how best to progress for anyone who is interested.  And if that's no one, then people can use it as a reference to stay far away.)

Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: June 15, 2009, 03:37:54 PM

no no... it wasnt directed at you  (thanks for the writeup btw)
Just kinda at "us" and the rest of those guys who play.  Takes a "beautiful mind" to deal with it.

I'm back in town now so I'm going to try and dig back in.  One thing I dont like is you pretty much have to figure it out on your own, unless you find some friendlies in IRC.  (which I hear can get cutthroat sometimes).  The "newb" IRC is always empty so you're forced to use gen. chat.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 03:41:45 PM by Ghambit »

sidereal
Contributor

Reply #14 on: June 16, 2009, 10:04:40 PM

They really should have just used the Megamek client.  I love Battletech and all, but that interface is. .  well, I can't tell you because we don't have a smiley with bleeding eyeballs.

THIS IS THE MOST I HAVE EVERY WANTED TO GET IN TO A BETA
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: June 16, 2009, 11:09:21 PM

They really should have just used the Megamek client.  I love Battletech and all, but that interface is. .  well, I can't tell you because we don't have a smiley with bleeding eyeballs.

I was thinking the same thing.  At least for the battle portions.  Megamek is a pretty slick client and it's been around a while. 
Actually, if you combined the two you'd have a recipe for Copyright infringement worthy of legal action probably... which is a good thing (it means the game doesnt suck)

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #16 on: June 27, 2009, 11:52:12 PM

Shit.

I so don't have the time or patience for this.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: July 15, 2009, 04:14:33 PM

An update after a month of play:

An important step towards moving out of the Safe House is to find an IS House, Periphery State, or Clan to join.  The tech selected at the begining determines which you're restricted to.  Most communication and coordination is handled through IRC, although each faction gets a sub-board on the forums.  Allegiences, however, cross those lines and often allied factions supply parts and 'mechs they are unable to make.

While you probably can get by without IRC, it's made things much easier for me.  I went in the newbie channel and asked about how people go about choosing.  Several very helpful faction leaders answered my questions, whether faction related or not.  You have everything from the very business-like to the goofballs.  Several invited me to hang around their own IRC channels to get a feel for things.  One downside is you can only join active factions.  There are several dead ones, but you will not be allowed to take over one of them until you've invested much time in the game.

So about a week ago I join the Circinus Federation.  It's a Periphery State with five solid core worlds on the left of the map, and two more lightly populated ones adjacent to Terra.  The second in-command is helpful, has an odd enough sense of humor, and had defensive philosophies which matched mine.  Their worlds border the Belt Pirates (my first choice, but defunct until two days ago...), and have very strong alliances with Steiner and Clan Star Adder, and good relations with Marik and others.  Our worlds are very secure.

Upon joining, my faction leader set me up on one of the Circinus worlds.  Each world has 10 sectors with a player empire able to control one per planet.  With additional researched tech, you can get two, four, or eight sectors on different planets.  Small factions are really hurt because they cannot start those second sectors.  Each sector has four zones: Capitol with 375 slots, Agriculture at 500 slots, Mining with 300, and Plains with 400.  In the safe house you only have the Capitol zone, so this allows quite a bit of expansion.  The zones affect the maps and building locations, but nothing else.

Combat:

Eventually I was pointed to the simulator on the military tab.  If not a subscriber, you can pick any single 'mech and fight against a random one or against other players.  Subscribers have a few more options.  You can also rent a mech for free-for-all combat as well.  These are accessible while in the Safe House, and do not require you to own any 'mechs.

If you are granted piloting permission, you can help out or observe your faction's battles.  The more 'mechs on the field the more pilots will be wanted as the AI is not too bright and each phase has a time limit.  I've already participated in a raid, and observed a few others.

Snee
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: September 23, 2009, 08:18:59 AM

My Adobe reader client freaks out and dies.  every time I go near the player manual. I think this may be a sign. Anyone have a work around, or is it just 7.0?
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Browser-Based Titles  |  Topic: Invasion 3042 (Battletech MMO)  
Jump to: