Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:08:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: Freedom Force + FF vs 3rd Reich ($7.49) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Freedom Force + FF vs 3rd Reich ($7.49)  (Read 7331 times)
Azazel
Contributor

on: May 29, 2009, 08:10:35 PM

Worthwhile?

Some reports have it that there's no Starforce involved, but I'm not sure where they found that reference.

edited the title, since the only change is about $1
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 01:24:49 AM by Azazel »

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: May 30, 2009, 03:12:37 AM

Starforce was only ever on FFVt3R. And only on the european release afaik.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: May 30, 2009, 04:15:34 AM

I would hope that nothing aquired through steam has starforce involved, but until I see actual confirmation I'm not buying.  Fucking fuckers.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: May 30, 2009, 04:30:26 AM

They have sold starforce infected products before (though they tend to remove it when people complain).

But random interwebs people say no Starforce:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=881215
« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 05:03:55 AM by eldaec »

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #4 on: May 30, 2009, 03:43:37 PM

Oh, hang on. The "regular" price is only $7.49

No real reason to hurry, then.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Tairnyn
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: May 30, 2009, 06:35:56 PM

I fondly remember Freedom Force to be a very enjoyable game, but I'm a sucker for turn-based strategy. The plotline wasn't exactly stellar but it had destructible environments such as lampposts that could be wielded and cars to throw, customizable units that you level up and add super powers, and a comic book theme that made for some entertaining gameplay. Definitely worth the $7.49.
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: May 31, 2009, 01:00:52 AM

I tried playing FF (not 3rd reich) earlier in the year and I eventually gave up. Superhero powers + destructible environments + poor AI = very annoying. Combat also gets kind of tedious as it's much easier to play hit-and-run tactics most of the time (or throw big heavy object).
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: May 31, 2009, 05:10:50 AM

Oh, hang on. The "regular" price is only $7.49

No real reason to hurry, then.

Only that not having played this means you are a broken incomplete shell of a human being.

But apart from that, no hurry.

Dion
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: May 31, 2009, 05:20:12 AM

I really enjoyed 3rd Reich. Creating and recruiting your own superheroes is awesome.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #9 on: May 31, 2009, 10:42:03 AM

Game is crap, controls feel mushy, camera is a bitch and a half to use and the game itself is trying to be campy but campy without humor is just lame.  I wish I could get my $7 back.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: May 31, 2009, 11:46:15 AM

you are a broken incomplete shell of a human being.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: May 31, 2009, 12:17:10 PM

Game is crap, controls feel mushy, camera is a bitch and a half to use and the game itself is trying to be campy but campy without humor is just lame.  I wish I could get my $7 back.

I think something is wrong with your brain.  You should have it checked out.

I am the .00000001428%
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #12 on: May 31, 2009, 02:02:27 PM

No honestly something is wrong with you guys, you owe me $7 since I didn't bother to watch any gameplay vids ahead of the purchase based on people saying nice things about it here.

The game is total ass.  The unit speech is annoying, the camera is one of those terrible its 3d but it sucks balls so you wish it wasn't 3d deals and controlling more then one unit is a chore.  You have to slow down the already slow as hell gameplay by pausing to issue commands at the start of every fight.  There really just wasn't anything to be excited about at all.  I honestly don't get the appeal at all unless your such a comic nerd that your overlooking everything about the gameplay because it involves guys in tights.  Also the heroes are intentionally lame (again to be campy and cute I'm sure) so basically a resounding meh who gives a fuck.

*edit* Maybe in 2002 this was impressive though I seriously doubt I would have been happy with it at that time either.  Its slow, clunky and whatever retarded era of comic books they are paying homage to is too lame for words.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 07:17:01 AM by Hoax »

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Valmorian
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: June 01, 2009, 06:51:17 AM

No honestly something is wrong with you guys, you owe me $7 since I didn't bother to watch any gameplay vids ahead of the purchase based on people saying nice things about it here.

I'm sure the 90% Metacritic score is a clear indicator that the rest of the world is insane, right?  Really, Freedom Force is pretty damned awesome, and even though I own both of them on CD, I jumped at the chance to get them on Steam for $8.
Arrrgh
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: June 01, 2009, 07:29:42 AM

It's a great game. Trying pausing often and playing it like a turn based strategy.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #15 on: June 01, 2009, 08:11:54 AM

I consider it turned-base strategy. Both FF games are fucking great, I was recently replaying FFvTR.

You also probably didn't give it enough time to open up more characters and unlock their powers.

Or you're just an asshole.
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: June 01, 2009, 10:13:56 AM

I didn't like the game and no one flamed me  awesome, for real.

Is TR pretty much the same as FF?
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: June 01, 2009, 10:55:44 AM

You weren't douchey about it  why so serious?

Both games play pretty much the same, some tweaks to overpowering UI.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #18 on: June 01, 2009, 10:57:27 AM

I'll probably buy this.  Not a big savings but it would be nice to have a diskless version of FF and I never bought the sequel due to not wanting to give my computer herpes.

-Rasix
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: June 12, 2009, 01:52:32 PM

I enjoyed both the freedom force games. I perfered the third reich one mainly due to not having the stupid save liberty lad missions which always annoyed me to death in the first one. I loved the first game except for the saving liberty  lad missions.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: June 19, 2009, 10:08:12 AM

Liberty Lad was a total badass, though. The MM/LL/Mentor/Diablo was pretty badass. Though my favorite was MM/Diablo/Man'o'War/Man-Bot, use Man-Bot to recharge Diablo and Man-o-War, MM to guard Man-Bot. Only downside was MM is a jumper and the other three were fliers.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: June 20, 2009, 10:10:56 AM

Man bot for mana battery

Man o war for electric damage, utility powers, and Connery impressions

El Diablo for outright dps.

Then Bullet, Liberty Lad or Alchemiss depending on the circumstances. Ant can be cool in some cases.

Minuteman irritates the fuck out of me, too slow and can't take any kind of aggro. I'd prefer Bullet in any circumstances.

Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: June 20, 2009, 03:41:32 PM

Before I got bored I basically used the bullet solo half the time because he was always fast enough to avoid all the silly things that fall and blow up everywhere.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: June 22, 2009, 09:17:20 AM

In TR I was leaning much more on Ant and Bullet. If you think MM is slow, never use Microwave. I had a game going with Microwave and Supercollider, who make a great team (SC is !!), but got tired of waiting for Microwave to hump his way across maps, he's sooo slooow.
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: June 22, 2009, 10:20:25 AM

I used Microwave a fair bit during my last ffv3r replay (2-shotting tanks on very hard difficulty + a ton of vulnerability-exploiting attacks = good times); teleport actually makes him faster than everyone except Bullet, especially if you reserve all power canisters from him + have Bullet use energize on him. It's a hell of an escape ability too.

It can be very annoying to micromanage the teleports, though...

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: June 22, 2009, 12:54:14 PM

Ah, didn't think of teaming him with Bullet. Goddamnit, I want to finish Drakensang before I get sidetracked with another game again.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: Freedom Force + FF vs 3rd Reich ($7.49)  
Jump to: