Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 02:52:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: The Spy, It Burns 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Spy, It Burns  (Read 5142 times)
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

on: May 28, 2009, 10:42:44 AM

Also, Nync was getting all proud of his spy in our fleet and showing off by repeating what was said in our fleet, while getting mighty butthurt by DBRB trolling AAA (who gets worked up about DBRB trolling them?!?).  So, with the help off our spy in their TS we were able to timestamp, locate and boot their spy.  Ta for the counter-intel coup, Nync.

I've never done any espionage, I've never read up on any spy stuff.  Even I know it's dumb to do something like that real time if you don't want to burnt he spy.  swamp poop

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
rand
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 02:16:29 PM

How do you timestamp to burn a spy? There's so many people in fleet seeing what's happening at the same time, could be any one of them
trevorreznik
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 02:20:12 PM

With enough evidence it shouldn't be too hard.  That said, GIA burns a lot of innocent guys (lahaine), and misses a lot of other folks that just keep their heads down (my parachute accounts for example).  It's only when people start to trumpet their intel that burning happens, and for some reason no one outside of GS has realized that said trumpeting is really dumb.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 02:35:35 PM

No, you see, *I* could never be found out, since I'm so awesome. All those other people wasting their spies do inflate their ego's just sucked.

Or something.  awesome, for real

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
trevorreznik
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 02:46:41 PM

if that post was at me, all my parachute accounts got detected as soon as i used my normal home ip instead of piggybacking on someone else's wireless signal, and i was busy posting in epsilon each time as well.  good spies who keep their heads down aren't going to be detected (unless the guy they relay info to puts it in the open to show off ala jake noble)
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009, 05:42:08 PM

With enough evidence it shouldn't be too hard.  That said, GIA burns a lot of innocent guys (lahaine), and misses a lot of other folks that just keep their heads down (my parachute accounts for example).  It's only when people start to trumpet their intel that burning happens, and for some reason no one outside of GS has realized that said trumpeting is really dumb.

[ASK] us about the f13 member who is a Bobby Atlas alt!
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: May 29, 2009, 09:23:26 AM

I don't think anyone believes that the spy was burned purely through convo timestamps over that short timeframe.  But I doubt if we'll find out the methods any time soon.

My blog: http://endie.net

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
trevorreznik
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: May 29, 2009, 01:55:41 PM

One thing I'd love to see far far down the road is all the GIA type stuff put out in public, after EVE online shuts down.  Sadly, people will be playing other MMOs where those techniques are useful, so I doubt it'll ever become public knowledge.
Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: May 29, 2009, 02:19:53 PM

When EVE-Online shuts down and everything is made public we will get all the bitches.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: June 03, 2009, 12:18:40 AM

[ASK] us about the f13 member who is a Bobby Atlas alt!

Who would admit to that?Huh

Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: June 03, 2009, 04:45:51 AM

I don't think anyone believes that the spy was burned purely through convo timestamps over that short timeframe.  But I doubt if we'll find out the methods any time soon.
I still think the funniest spy outing was the one that got caught by Mazzilu's avatar text.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: June 03, 2009, 05:35:15 AM

I still think the funniest spy outing was the one that got caught by Mazzilu's avatar text.

Oh, I agree.  Not just because of the means, but because of who it was (a Bob director... I seem to remember it being SFShootme) and the amount of posting he had done about the personal cost and great trouble involved in getting the spy in place.

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #12 on: June 03, 2009, 05:40:25 AM

Is there a link to that? That has to be pretty funny reading.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: June 03, 2009, 05:53:12 AM

Oh, I agree.  Not just because of the means, but because of who it was (a Bob director... I seem to remember it being SFShootme) and the amount of posting he had done about the personal cost and great trouble involved in getting the spy in place.

It was Cflux, Ex shinra and major BOB FC. The scary thing is he was their major spy in goons that they depended on for everything tactical.

I'll seArch for the posts later, if no-one beats me to it.

Hic sunt dracones.
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: June 03, 2009, 06:48:53 AM

It was Cflux, Ex shinra and major BOB FC. The scary thing is he was their major spy in goons that they depended on for everything tactical.

I'll seArch for the posts later, if no-one beats me to it.

Thanks for that.  And it's ok, no need to go reposting that stuff again: it's all easy to read on kugutsumen.

Twitter - Endieposts

Gobbeldygook
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: June 03, 2009, 06:59:03 AM

Is there a link to that? That has to be pretty funny reading.
There's a link somewhere, but it's a pretty simple story: Mazzilu's title is one of those that says something like "$name is awesome" where $name is whoever is logged in and reading it.  Spy screenshotted the forums with his name emblazoned on her avatar text.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 07:19:58 AM by Gobbeldygook »
Trebes
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: June 03, 2009, 07:06:28 AM

"$name is awesome" where $name is whoever is logged in and reading it.  Spy screenshotted the forums with his name emblazoned on his avatar text.

"_____ is a spy"

Which is what made it hilarious.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: The Spy, It Burns  
Jump to: