Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 12:24:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: AV: miserable fucked up piece of shit 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: AV: miserable fucked up piece of shit  (Read 22105 times)
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: June 03, 2009, 12:07:32 AM

But everybody already complains that they get steamrolled because no matter what faction and server they're on, the opposing faction is always more organized (as proven by this thread). Maybe I'm the anomaly, but I hate how the newer battlegrounds deemphasize actual fighting in favor of a strategic game with about 1/10 the depth of straight-up combat. Granted, I don't think a deathmatch BG would work because it would play hell with the class balance (read: my cloth-wearing ass would get insta-ganked with no hope). But blaming gear progression for unbalancing BGs is a bit silly - *no* BG encounter is ever fair; one side always has more people at the node, or has a closer graveyard, or starts the fight with more health/mana, or has a better group composition. Gear imbalances are just icing on the cake.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: June 03, 2009, 01:15:52 AM

But everybody already complains that they get steamrolled because no matter what faction and server they're on, the opposing faction is always more organized (as proven by this thread). Maybe I'm the anomaly, but I hate how the newer battlegrounds deemphasize actual fighting in favor of a strategic game with about 1/10 the depth of straight-up combat. Granted, I don't think a deathmatch BG would work because it would play hell with the class balance (read: my cloth-wearing ass would get insta-ganked with no hope). But blaming gear progression for unbalancing BGs is a bit silly - *no* BG encounter is ever fair; one side always has more people at the node, or has a closer graveyard, or starts the fight with more health/mana, or has a better group composition. Gear imbalances are just icing on the cake.

My hohourFu says I am 50/50 win loss in every BG as alliance on Misery, which seems about right. People always remember the losses and forget the victories.

There's a reason straight deathmatch is the least popular game type in TF2.

You can play deathmatch in TF2?

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: June 03, 2009, 07:40:48 AM

Victories:  124
Battlegrounds:  269

Winning %:  46.1

AV victories:  24
AV battles:  78

Winning %:  30.8

Yeaaaah.  I'm totally blowing smoke here.   Ohhhhh, I see.

However!

EotS victories:  20
EotS battles:  22
 awesome, for real  awesome, for real  awesome, for real  awesome, for real

Also, their stats are wonky!

SotA victories:  14
SotA battles:  12

hmmm.

AB and WSG are running just below 50%, which jives nicely with my expectations.
Gobbeldygook
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: June 03, 2009, 07:57:15 AM

WSG/AB/EOTS: Depends heavily on how many retadins, DKs, and healers there are on each team, but I win the first two more often than not.  I don't know why the Horde only break even on EOTS.

SOTA: Utterly miserable as a warrior regardless of spec and the BG is provably biased against Horde by design.  Not worth queueing up for at night because Horde can't recover if we don't start with a full team which happens a lot more at night.

AV: Horde towers are worse than alliance towers (alliance can just run into Horde towers and cap without needing to kill any NPCs), relief hut is not in range of archers so only the 4 level 77 NPCs need to be killed in order to be capped.  I lose far, far more often than I win.
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #39 on: June 03, 2009, 08:38:10 AM

Upon reflection, I think I ould like to see a cooperative battleground. Make it entirely PvE with Horde and Alliance on the same side and some story-driven NPC group as a common enemy. It's another of the winning concepts from WAR that they could lift and refine out the failures of Mythic's implementation. I declare it would be hugely popular and people would scream for more of them. Of course you couldn't really call it a battleground, but whatever, it would still work.

I just really miss the crazy random shit that could happen in AV like the air forces, the riders, and summoning the giant guys. Oh, and I miss the honor too.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: June 03, 2009, 10:25:53 AM

I'd prefer a

DotA-style battleground:
Characters fight NPCs to gain buffs and temporary powers, then use those to overwhelm the enemy base.

to a

Prisoner's Dilemma battleground:
There is an NPC enemy... and it gets stronger the longer the fight continues. Sides get more points (and larger rewards) based on how effectively they killed NPCs and how much their side was responsible for the enemy's defeat. If the sides get too directly competitive and the enemy grows too strong to defeat, everyone gets nothing.

...but I'd like to see both tried. I think original AV wanted to be DotA, but they made the rewards too diffuse and team-oriented. Individual players in DotA are able to improve their own individual power, rather than requiring team effort to do so. The team should improve because its players make themselves stronger, not because they all turned in enough arbitrary trinkets to the right people.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #41 on: June 03, 2009, 10:27:43 AM

There's a reason straight deathmatch is the least popular game type in TF2.

You can play deathmatch in TF2?

Yes, although they call it 'arena'. Its team deathmatch, with a single control point that activates after a few minutes to stop the game from bogging down with 2 spies hiding from each other at the end or something.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 10:30:09 AM by Ingmar »

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Jack9
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: June 03, 2009, 11:16:40 AM

In the bloodlust battlegroup, horde win more often than ac in Battlegrounds EXCEPT in AV where alliance win 90% of the time.
Musashi
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: June 04, 2009, 09:00:56 AM

MMO PvP:  A conundrum.

AKA Gyoza
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: June 04, 2009, 09:34:25 AM

Running around a BG with over 800 resil is  awesome, for real.  The only real threat to me are really well geared DPS.  I've had people just flat out give up trying to kill me, and run off to facestab someone else.

(holy paladin)
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: June 04, 2009, 11:41:04 AM

Resilience has very little to do with it in that equation. I regularly run around with 930+, I can still be killed inside a single stun.

Moonkin  why so serious?

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: June 04, 2009, 12:09:32 PM

Maybe by a ret paladin or DK.  A rogue could stunlock you.  Mages have an unfortunately large toolbox as well.

Everything else though, you should be ok against!
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: June 04, 2009, 12:23:15 PM

I can't beat warlocks either for the most part, they out DPS me while out Healing me. It is immensely frustrating.

Anything with short cooldown stuns/interrupts/immunities will generally ruin my day. Unless I get a lucky crit/proc string going, I won't kill a specced healer 1v1 either. 

Woe onto my foes if I can ride shotgun in a demolisher though!

K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: June 04, 2009, 12:31:07 PM

It's mainly healers who get the honour of boring their opponents to death.

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: June 04, 2009, 12:52:24 PM

It's mainly healers who get the honour of boring their opponents to death.

Pretty much, if you can't take a healer from 80% to Zero in the span of your silence/stun, they will go from 10% back to 100% in a GCD.

Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: June 04, 2009, 02:37:34 PM

Only if the heal crits!  Otherwise it's 2 GCDs.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: June 04, 2009, 02:43:08 PM

lolpenance.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #52 on: June 04, 2009, 03:08:41 PM

lolpenance.

Beat me to it.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: June 05, 2009, 10:31:23 AM

Running around a BG with over 800 resil is  awesome, for real.  The only real threat to me are really well geared DPS.  I've had people just flat out give up trying to kill me, and run off to facestab someone else.

(holy paladin)

Holy paladins can bite my ass.  As can druids and dks.

Hunters with 800 resil only means they take a little longer to kill.
Vash
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: June 05, 2009, 11:22:26 AM

lolpenance.

Beat me to it.

My disc priest has 22k hp and close to 2200ish spell power in pvp gear, even with a full stack of grace and each tick critting 1 penance will do about 15k healing (less than 75% of my hp), no crits it does about 9-10k (less than 50%).  Those numbers aren't really much different than the big heals other healers can throw out, Holy Light, Healing Wave, Healing Touch / Swiftmend.  The major difference is in the channeled over time delivery which lets them get "some" healing off even if they are interupted, stunned, or silenced mid cast, but it is a 51 pt talent after all, it better have some benefit over greater heal, especially with a cd attached.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: June 05, 2009, 02:38:52 PM

Maybe if you completely ignore Divine Aegis, that might be true.

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: AV: miserable fucked up piece of shit  
Jump to: