Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 09:19:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Blood Bowl Bullshit  |  Topic: Metaplace is open beta now 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Metaplace is open beta now  (Read 17221 times)
Raph
Developers

Title delayed while we "find the fun."

on: May 14, 2009, 04:53:41 PM

Anyone can go register. http://www.metaplace.com

ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 05:04:35 PM

Looks neat.  Can't wait to see what SA and 4chan do with it.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 05:10:27 PM by ahoythematey »
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 05:05:36 PM

Whee, I'm in. I would've liked more warning that my avatar name and account name would be the same, though.

It's late here, but I'll have to tinker with it tomorrow.
ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 05:30:28 PM

Metaspace does not take to kindly to my right-clickin'.
Raph
Developers

Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 06:00:17 PM

ALT-Tab or click in your Start bar if that happens and it should unfreeze... we don't quite know why it happens, it is very very erratic for us. :(
taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 06:43:42 PM

So does that mean the NDA is down?

I used to write for extinct gaming sites
details available here (unused blog about page)
Raph
Developers

Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 07:40:48 PM

Yes, the NDA is down.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: May 14, 2009, 09:08:22 PM

I'm assuming it can't be made to work under linux/firefox. It certainly doesn't seem to work out of the box.

It's not an issue for me if games don't support linux. I'm not that fanatical and I'll reboot into vista if I need some gaming. However a social networking site is presumably meant to sit open in the background a lot of the time?

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Raph
Developers

Reply #8 on: May 14, 2009, 10:02:48 PM

It works out of the box for many folks on Linux and FF, and not for others. A lot depends on whether you are running 64 bit or not.

There are forum threads on Linux support here:

http://www.metaplace.com/forums/posts/listing/2007#715514
http://www.metaplace.com/forums/posts/listing/385/1#39888
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: May 14, 2009, 11:16:04 PM

Well Zwol certainly seems on the ball. If it can be made to work around adobe's apathy I'm sure he'll be the one to find it.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #10 on: May 15, 2009, 03:24:26 AM

Whee, I'm in. I would've liked more warning that my avatar name and account name would be the same, though.

Doh, this *is* unfortunate.  I understand that having a different account and avatar name can be confusing to people, but it has some significant security advantages...
Obo
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: May 15, 2009, 03:33:53 AM

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: May 15, 2009, 06:46:39 AM

I have been working with a friend to use metaplace as another way to promote his artwork. The intent is to embed it on his site and other outlets.

You can see it here.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 06:49:11 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #13 on: May 15, 2009, 06:47:37 AM

Oops, asked questions in the main mmo forum.

Seems to work ok in OSX 10.5/Firefox 3.0.10
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #14 on: May 15, 2009, 06:52:30 AM

Also, Sky was taken. So Raph clearly needs to ban someone  DRILLING AND MANLINESS
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: May 15, 2009, 08:43:33 AM

The linking to another account feature is cool (I used google). Especially since I forgot what I signed up with originally.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #16 on: May 15, 2009, 12:59:05 PM

So I was messing about with the tutorial on how to build your own world, and the very second step, right after 'create your own tile', doesn't seem to be active. The Shape Your World > Terrain Tools is greyed out.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Obo
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: May 15, 2009, 02:45:02 PM

So I was messing about with the tutorial on how to build your own world, and the very second step, right after 'create your own tile', doesn't seem to be active. The Shape Your World > Terrain Tools is greyed out.
You create tiles with 'paint the ground'. Terrain tools will be greyed out unless the map type is sloped or stepped from 'advanced -> camera and map'.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #18 on: May 15, 2009, 03:20:23 PM

Well, they may wanna give the option to either skip that part of the tutorial (can't skip ahead atm) or create the default terrain sloped so that part of the tutorial is relevant.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Raph
Developers

Reply #19 on: May 15, 2009, 07:26:49 PM

The default terrain IS sloped. Did you come in during one of the earlier invite waves by any chance?
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #20 on: May 15, 2009, 10:25:13 PM

The default terrain IS sloped. Did you come in during one of the earlier invite waves by any chance?

Yes, quite possibly. I hadn't gotten around to playing it till today, however.

Raph
Developers

Reply #21 on: May 16, 2009, 10:57:00 AM

Go to Advanced-> Camera and Map in the tools, and pick either sloped or stepped. Stepped is better for interiors.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #22 on: May 16, 2009, 08:20:12 PM

Thanks Raph!

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: May 17, 2009, 08:13:46 AM

The stupid Meep won't say hello back.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Sunbury
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: May 18, 2009, 05:24:11 AM

Anyway ......................... to .............................. g ..................... et..................... the 'tv' .................... to ............................................buffer ........................before............ pl...................a................y...............ing..................?
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: May 18, 2009, 07:09:48 AM

Anyway ......................... to .............................. g ..................... et..................... the 'tv' .................... to ............................................buffer ........................before............ pl...................a................y...............ing..................?

Nope. I would also love it if they removed the normal you tube listing after the videos are over. But, i do not think the widget uses anything other than a window, and the standard you tube player FROM you tube.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Raph
Developers

Reply #26 on: May 18, 2009, 07:34:47 AM

Yeah, it is just the stock YouTube player.
Sunbury
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: May 18, 2009, 12:16:45 PM

I didn't see the VCR controls.  Normally under a crappy connection I just pause it until the bar fills, then play it.  I could not see how to do that in this case.
Sunbury
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: May 19, 2009, 04:42:13 AM

I now see later 'TV' give the standard YouTube interface, I was talking about the one in the tutorial above, that I could not see any way to let it finish loading
Sunbury
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: May 19, 2009, 04:43:40 AM

There is a bug in the survey - if you leave the single text box on the 2nd page blank (there is no * IIRC), then answer all the final page, it will go back to that box - AND WIPE OUT EVERYTHING YOU ENTERED ON THE FINAL PAGE.   So when it did that, I just closed IE.
Sunbury
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: May 19, 2009, 04:45:21 AM

Oh yeah, my favorite world was the ship shooting one HighSeas I think.  Still can't figure out how to pick up survivors though.  Tried rowing to them, anchoring, not anchoring.  Most times my boat is sitting right on them when the fish get them.
schild
Administrator

Reply #31 on: May 19, 2009, 05:21:13 AM

Modify, sucka. Modify.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: May 19, 2009, 05:29:39 AM

Heh.

In other news, the Meep finally speaks.

It's....interesting.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Raph
Developers

Reply #33 on: May 19, 2009, 11:35:37 AM

Oh yeah, my favorite world was the ship shooting one HighSeas I think.  Still can't figure out how to pick up survivors though.  Tried rowing to them, anchoring, not anchoring.  Most times my boat is sitting right on them when the fish get them.

Sail over them SLOWLY.
Raph
Developers

Reply #34 on: May 19, 2009, 11:56:03 AM

There is a bug in the survey - if you leave the single text box on the 2nd page blank (there is no * IIRC), then answer all the final page, it will go back to that box - AND WIPE OUT EVERYTHING YOU ENTERED ON THE FINAL PAGE.   So when it did that, I just closed IE.

I asked QA to look at this, and they tried it in IE, Firefox, and Chrome, and could not reproduce it...
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Blood Bowl Bullshit  |  Topic: Metaplace is open beta now  
Jump to: