Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:18:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: StarCraft II Beta 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] Go Down Print
Author Topic: StarCraft II Beta  (Read 268863 times)
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #1260 on: July 22, 2010, 01:51:40 PM

If Kerrigan turns out to be another Arthas, I may start throwing things.

Lolmetzen. Just saying.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #1261 on: July 22, 2010, 01:53:32 PM

How does that video make anyone want to buy the game, it has NOTHING to do with RTS.  If you were to know nothing about Starcraft, saw that trailer and bought the game, then installed it, you  might very well wonder if you bought the right game.  I'll admit I have a grudge against cinematic trailers to begin with, but its particularly egregious in a game like this, at least in a game like god of war or something the cinematic generally reflects sort of what you do in the game (generally flailing around killing shit with giant chain baldes, or whatever).

I'm assuming from this comment that you've never played any of Blizzard's single player RTS campaigns. That is the only way it makes any sense at all.

I've played Starcraft single player + brood war and Warcraft 3 + frozen throne.  I really don't think the cinematics have anything to do with playing the games.  

In any event, I'm just going to stop posting in this thread.  I don't like the game, I think thats obvious at this point, and I've criticized other people for posting in threads under similar circumstances before.  I think the reason I feel compelled is because I've been a huge fan of blizzard for years, and part of me laments the fact that I just don't like their games very much anymore.   If I truly didn't care at all, I'd have been disregarding this thread all all along.
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #1262 on: July 22, 2010, 01:54:16 PM

I have to say, I will probably buy this for the single player.  If for no other reason than to see how things play out after the end of SC.

I've been waiting 10 years or so for this...

I am weak.   Ohhhhh, I see.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #1263 on: July 22, 2010, 01:55:53 PM

WC3 had in-game cinematics, which was one way of doing it and worked quite well. That said, I'm all for the crazy eye candy these SC2 cinematics promise.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #1264 on: July 22, 2010, 02:18:33 PM

WC3 had in-game cinematics, which was one way of doing it and worked quite well. That said, I'm all for the crazy eye candy these SC2 cinematics promise.

What they showed at Blizzcon last year of the single player stuff would please you, then. I think there are cinematic elements to the intro/outro on all of the single player missions, voice acting tied to events that happen in-mission, etc.

Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #1265 on: July 22, 2010, 02:22:07 PM

There was a lot in that cinematic to get you thinking. Zeratul fighting Kerrigan, Samir Duran, and so forth. I'm not a fan of cinematics, especially considering the quality of today's engines. But for teasing people before a game comes out? Works.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #1266 on: July 22, 2010, 02:27:26 PM

I guess I'm one of the few people who played the game and can't remember a damn thing about the storyline.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #1267 on: July 22, 2010, 02:28:50 PM

Hold on a second.  The redhead Ghost in that video is Kerrigan?
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1268 on: July 22, 2010, 02:49:19 PM

Yes, before she was captured and infested.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #1269 on: July 22, 2010, 02:56:33 PM

I guess I'm one of the few people who played the game and can't remember a damn thing about the storyline.

I couldn't remember much, it was a long time ago. I read the backstory bit on the SC2 wiki page to refresh myself. To be honest the terran plot from SC1 didn't make a ton of sense to me even at the time. The Zerg and Protoss plots were a bit more comprehensible.

Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #1270 on: July 22, 2010, 03:20:54 PM

Don't forget the bit about the insane Xel'Nega (or whatever they're called) who was running experiments on hybrids between all three species.  Or was that Brood Wars "continuity" that's being ignored?
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #1271 on: July 22, 2010, 03:26:49 PM

Pretty sure we'll be seeing Xel'Naga stuff in the single player.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1272 on: July 22, 2010, 03:27:25 PM

Don't forget the bit about the insane Xel'Nega (or whatever they're called) who was running experiments on hybrids between all three species.  Or was that Brood Wars "continuity" that's being ignored?
There's another trailer/teaser with just Zeratul where he talks about the xel'naga.

Edit: this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSjRXI5XHw8&feature=related
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #1273 on: July 23, 2010, 02:01:12 AM

Judging from what's been released so far, the secret mission at the end of Brood War looks like canon and could be one of the main plot threads if not the main one.
Wolf
Terracotta Army

Reply #1274 on: July 23, 2010, 02:07:56 AM

Well most of the high tier random icons for wins in bnet were "Hybrid Reaver" "Hybrid Whatever", so yeah. Plus Samir Duran (? ghost dude from broodwar) is in the trailer.

As a matter of fact I swallowed one of these about two hours ago and the explanation is that it is, in fact, my hand.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #1275 on: July 23, 2010, 02:31:15 AM

Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #1276 on: July 23, 2010, 02:35:33 AM

Yeah, Samir Duran was the dark skinned Terran ghost guy. He's got dreads and cloaking in the trailer. Interesting developments for the SP campaign, but I wonder how that'll tie in with the missions where you have a set amount of units? Sounds like upgrades could make or break missions.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1277 on: July 23, 2010, 05:08:53 AM

The Little One is still my favorite player  Heart

http://day9tv.blip.tv/file/3917155/

Awesome game.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #1278 on: July 23, 2010, 09:37:44 AM

The Little One is still my favorite player  Heart

http://day9tv.blip.tv/file/3917155/

Awesome game.

Hah, knew what game it was before I clicked.  Yah, that game was amazing; probably best game of the beta.   Tester and IntoTheRainbow are fucking beasts though.  They are just killing everyone. The other 2 games weren't even remotely competitive.  That Korean style of pressure, pressure, pressure doesn't give you much room if you try anything cute early and don't absolutely nail it.  Plus, early expand = death against them.

The Koreans are just way above everyone right now it looks like.  TLO is still great to watch once the game gets past the initial stages.  WhiteRa has completely lost his shit after getting beaten by Dimaga. I think IntoTheRainbow managed to proxy factory him in his own base. 

-Rasix
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #1279 on: July 23, 2010, 10:42:49 AM

When I've played Blizzard single-player games (and it's been more than ten years now, so who knows if I'll still see it this way), my mindset has typically been that the cinematics are the reward I get for beating the missions.  So the cinematic trailer simultaneously has me stoked for the single-player campaign and reaffirms my resolve to wait until I can buy the whole thing rather than getting it in pieces.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #1280 on: July 23, 2010, 11:44:18 AM

I'm not sure why I am chiming in on this stupid subject but:

Blizzard has, as far back as I can remember, released super high quality cinematic intros and cut scenes for their games.  It's forgotten about since it's been so long since they released a single player game but it was one of their calling cards.  I'm pretty sure I bought WC2 based on wanting the see the cinematic scenes.

Also, to the track that the cinematic is disingenuous regarding game play to the uninitiated, Blizzard has released hundreds of hours of SC2 game play at this point, there is no possible way that an intent to deceive argument holds up.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #1281 on: July 23, 2010, 03:19:19 PM

The xel'naga are coming back?  I thought they had all been eaten by the zerg, except for one.
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #1282 on: July 23, 2010, 03:32:02 PM

The xel'naga are coming back?  I thought they had all been eaten by the zerg, except for one.

I thought the ship that zapped the salvage guys from the original SC intro was a Xel'Naga ship.

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1283 on: July 23, 2010, 03:40:58 PM

Hah, knew what game it was before I clicked.  Yah, that game was amazing; probably best game of the beta.   Tester and IntoTheRainbow are fucking beasts though.  They are just killing everyone. The other 2 games weren't even remotely competitive.  That Korean style of pressure, pressure, pressure doesn't give you much room if you try anything cute early and don't absolutely nail it.  Plus, early expand = death against them.

The Koreans are just way above everyone right now it looks like.  TLO is still great to watch once the game gets past the initial stages.  WhiteRa has completely lost his shit after getting beaten by Dimaga. I think IntoTheRainbow managed to proxy factory him in his own base. 

Yea, that game was making the rounds on every SC2 site/thread I've been following, it's pretty damn awesome. The only game I enjoy more so far, is the first TLO epic game on Metalopolis where he used every single unit constructable and it was raining nukes.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #1284 on: July 23, 2010, 08:40:23 PM

I couldn't remember much, it was a long time ago.
There's whole Starcraft story here. (all the cinematics, mission debriefings and basically everything but the gameplay itself) Must say that lacking the sentimental attachment to the game i'm finding it pretty awful (story-wise, technology being ancient obviously gets a free pass there)
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #1285 on: July 24, 2010, 09:31:22 PM

WhiteRa has completely lost his shit after getting beaten by Dimaga. 

Ooo, is their a good story behind this?

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: StarCraft II Beta  
Jump to: