Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:17:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: StarCraft II Beta 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 Go Down Print
Author Topic: StarCraft II Beta  (Read 271088 times)
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1225 on: July 20, 2010, 11:43:09 AM

I think he meant more that the next hit custom game/mod will be a SCII custom map. It's possible it'll be done in Source but it looks like Blizzard have made a far more easily moddable engine, which will encourage people actually getting their cool and innovative ideas into release.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #1226 on: July 20, 2010, 12:13:19 PM

Well said NowhereMan! I wish I had said it like that.  I definitely do not mean another DOTA clone.

The shame is that whoever it is that comes up with that game won't own it, given the terms of use that Blizzard has written for this game (which makes it less likely that someone trying hard to come up with something new would stick with this engine).
fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #1227 on: July 20, 2010, 12:37:12 PM

The rocket arena mod was pretty neat in beta

http://www.sc2mapster.com/maps/rocket-arena-deluxe/
Astorax
Contributor

Reply #1228 on: July 21, 2010, 02:05:16 PM

I think he meant more that the next hit custom game/mod will be a SCII custom map. It's possible it'll be done in Source but it looks like Blizzard have made a far more easily moddable engine, which will encourage people actually getting their cool and innovative ideas into release.

Oh, well yeah, fair enough. :)
Wolf
Terracotta Army

Reply #1229 on: July 22, 2010, 02:46:55 AM

As a matter of fact I swallowed one of these about two hours ago and the explanation is that it is, in fact, my hand.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #1230 on: July 22, 2010, 03:22:29 AM

awesome, for real

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
tgr
Terracotta Army

Just another victim of cyber age discrimination.

Reply #1231 on: July 22, 2010, 03:24:03 AM

I'm not generally positive towards SC2 for various reasons, but damn do blizzard know how to make cinematics that just make me go awesome, for real and want to buy their games.

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #1232 on: July 22, 2010, 04:39:41 AM

Dammit, I feel the need to buy this game now.
Wolf
Terracotta Army

Reply #1233 on: July 22, 2010, 04:43:35 AM

I'm getting my copies in tomorrow. But I think you have to authenticate the game through battle.net at least once before you can play singleplayer offline  Heartbreak

As a matter of fact I swallowed one of these about two hours ago and the explanation is that it is, in fact, my hand.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #1234 on: July 22, 2010, 06:32:26 AM

How does that video make anyone want to buy the game, it has NOTHING to do with RTS.  If you were to know nothing about Starcraft, saw that trailer and bought the game, then installed it, you  might very well wonder if you bought the right game.  I'll admit I have a grudge against cinematic trailers to begin with, but its particularly egregious in a game like this, at least in a game like god of war or something the cinematic generally reflects sort of what you do in the game (generally flailing around killing shit with giant chain baldes, or whatever).
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #1235 on: July 22, 2010, 06:55:35 AM

It suggests the game has an exciting story. You could make the argument that most cinematics don't really sell game content, that's why we have gameplay videos. The game itself is mechanics+plot and the single-player side of things is going to be a major selling point to the wider audience.

For me the cinematic just added to my positive feelings towards the likely scope and scale of the single player campaign. I just wish we had more than a few 5 minute videos to judge it on.

tgr
Terracotta Army

Just another victim of cyber age discrimination.

Reply #1236 on: July 22, 2010, 07:01:07 AM

How does that video make anyone want to buy the game, it has NOTHING to do with RTS.
What K9 said. It's been this way all the way since blizzard began with their warcraft videos. It's not really news, I've been wowed by warcraft videos from way back, only to look at what can only be called a somewhat dreary-looking game (with exploding sheep!) and be a bit disappointed. But you still got that initial surge before getting the game.

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #1237 on: July 22, 2010, 07:03:35 AM

How does that video make anyone want to buy the game, it has NOTHING to do with RTS.  If you were to know nothing about Starcraft, saw that trailer and bought the game, then installed it, you  might very well wonder if you bought the right game.

Diablo cinematics had nothing to do with how the game actually played, but damn if they weren't bad ass.

That's the point. Badassery. They serve as marketing and story drivers. Any gamer worth his salt doesn't watch a cinematic and think, YEAH! I GET TO BE IN THE MOVIE! If you do, you're an idiot and deserve what you got by buying a game simply on a cinematic. Then, perhaps you'll learn something.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #1238 on: July 22, 2010, 07:06:51 AM

It suggests the game has an exciting story. You could make the argument that most cinematics don't really sell game content, that's why we have gameplay videos. The game itself is mechanics+plot and the single-player side of things is going to be a major selling point to the wider audience.

For me the cinematic just added to my positive feelings towards the likely scope and scale of the single player campaign. I just wish we had more than a few 5 minute videos to judge it on.

Eh, I suppose.  Story is cheap though.  I used to be huge on it, but in the last year or two its become more or less meaningless to me in video games.  If I want a good story these days, I'll crack open a book.  Gameplay is king, a cinematic commercial for a game containing NO gameplay at all says to me "We don't think gameplay can sell this game, so heres some shiny."

There might be cinematics that are awesome IN AND OF THEMSELVES, but it really isn't going to make me want to play the game.  Maybe I'm just weird though. Ohhhhh, I see.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1239 on: July 22, 2010, 07:09:05 AM

So are you one of those guys at Christmas time, watching a Coca-Cola commerical and saying, "CGI Polar Bears have nothing to do with Coke! WTF?!?"

DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #1240 on: July 22, 2010, 07:13:00 AM

How does that video make anyone want to buy the game, it has NOTHING to do with RTS.  If you were to know nothing about Starcraft, saw that trailer and bought the game, then installed it, you  might very well wonder if you bought the right game.  I'll admit I have a grudge against cinematic trailers to begin with, but its particularly egregious in a game like this, at least in a game like god of war or something the cinematic generally reflects sort of what you do in the game (generally flailing around killing shit with giant chain baldes, or whatever).

please don't troll.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #1241 on: July 22, 2010, 07:13:21 AM

So are you one of those guys at Christmas time, watching a Coca-Cola commerical and saying, "CGI Polar Bears have nothing to do with Coke! WTF?!?"

Yeah, I guess I am.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1242 on: July 22, 2010, 07:14:04 AM

Then you simply hate advertising. Lots of people do, but it has nothing to do with the game at all.

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #1243 on: July 22, 2010, 07:14:10 AM

please don't troll.

No u.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #1244 on: July 22, 2010, 07:15:04 AM

Then you simply hate advertising. It has nothing to do with the game at all.

I'm willing to accept that criticism.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #1245 on: July 22, 2010, 07:36:05 AM

It may just be the general cynicism you acquire after being in contact with something for too long. By your own admission you are an FPS powergamer, and anyone who becomes focused on multiplayer is going to shift to caring exclusively about mechanics and not at all about plot I expect. A lot of players are perhaps less jaded or are just more interested in the single-player element, and there plot is a huge driver.

I agree though that the quality of writing in most videogames is dire on the level of fan-fiction; although there are exceptions. Blizzard's storytelling is definitely not the most compelling, but it's far from the worst either, and big shiney in the form of cinematics can always help to distract players from the dubious qualities of the actual story, and make the game more immersive, and I'm all for that.

Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #1246 on: July 22, 2010, 07:38:39 AM

Uh, who here finished the SC1 campaign? If you played the SC1 campaign and enjoyed the story, I'd be surprised if you weren't stoked after that cinematic. It indicates the direction the story is going, and things could be badass.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #1247 on: July 22, 2010, 07:41:23 AM

Eh, I suppose.  Story is cheap though.  I used to be huge on it, but in the last year or two its become more or less meaningless to me in video games.  If I want a good story these days, I'll crack open a book.  Gameplay is king, a cinematic commercial for a game containing NO gameplay at all says to me "We don't think gameplay can sell this game, so heres some shiny."

Ohhhhh, I see.

"I don't like story in games right now so I'm going to poop on a thread."  Good job, asshole.

This whole cinematic hate would be somewhat justified if there wasn't already an excellent tangible product behind it, but there is.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 07:43:07 AM by Rasix »

-Rasix
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #1248 on: July 22, 2010, 07:51:05 AM

It may just be the general cynicism you acquire after being in contact with something for too long. By your own admission you are an FPS powergamer, and anyone who becomes focused on multiplayer is going to shift to caring exclusively about mechanics and not at all about plot I expect. A lot of players are perhaps less jaded or are just more interested in the single-player element, and there plot is a huge driver.
No, he is just trolling and he will keep trolling till someone other than me points out that he is trolling.

Wolf
Terracotta Army

Reply #1249 on: July 22, 2010, 08:06:57 AM

Ohhhhh, I see.

"I don't like story in games right now Starcraft II so I'm going to poop on a thread."  Good job, asshole.

fify, it's been going on since page 25 or whatever.

Like moses said, if you played and enjoyed starcraft way back when, this trailer will make you shit your pants. I've seen it about 20 times now and I'm about ready to make one of those analysis videos gametrailers do for 30 second call of duty teasers  swamp poop

K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #1250 on: July 22, 2010, 08:16:41 AM

Prince Valerian?  Head scratch

But yes, hot cinematic is hot.

Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #1251 on: July 22, 2010, 08:23:42 AM

There might be cinematics that are awesome IN AND OF THEMSELVES, but it really isn't going to make me want to play the game.  Maybe I'm just weird though. Ohhhhh, I see.

I'm right there with you (story in WoW (via quests) is tedious and in the way)... right up to the point where it's StarCraft or Diablo and then I have to say, "shut your fucking whore mouth! /spittle".

If you like the game type, you just know with either of those games that the core game mechanics are going to be as solid as just about anyone can make them.  At which point, letting yourself get a boner* over a great cinematic is not just ok, it's required. (* feel free to replace "boner" with whatever it is your sex or species does when aroused)
Wolf
Terracotta Army

Reply #1252 on: July 22, 2010, 08:39:38 AM

Is it some UED dude (or whatever replaced UED back on earth when they got their asses kicked in koprulu sector)? Is it Mengsk's son? (best tasteless voice i could muster) I DON'T KNOW!

btw, there are plenty of spoilers around the web so I'd avoid googling anything starcraft related in the next week :)

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #1253 on: July 22, 2010, 08:46:05 AM

If you were to know nothing about Starcraft, saw that trailer and bought the game, then installed it, you  might very well wonder if you bought the right game. 
This is the problem right here.  I don't think there is anybody on the planet who even entertains the thought of buying a video game that doesn't already know what Starcraft is.  That's how it is with most Blizzard products actually.  So this is perfectly acceptable for them.

The point has a bit more merit if its a trailer for a brand new game coming from random_game_studio_001.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #1254 on: July 22, 2010, 08:48:44 AM

Is it some UED dude (or whatever replaced UED back on earth when they got their asses kicked in koprulu sector)? Is it Mengsk's son? (best tasteless voice i could muster) I DON'T KNOW!

btw, there are plenty of spoilers around the web so I'd avoid googling anything starcraft related in the next week :)

He looks a but like a Final Fantasy protagonist. I really need to re-read the back story for SC1 though.

Astorax
Contributor

Reply #1255 on: July 22, 2010, 11:33:56 AM

Yes, I get he's trolling and has been for awhile, but he does bring up a point...sort of.

Story in video games...specifically, SC2.

There are certain genres that you will buy for story, some that you won't....and some that are in a sort of gray area.  RTS is, IMO, a gray area.  There are only a couple that have even half-way decent storylines to date (I enjoyed the original DoW story, and I particularly liked the WC2 stories).

I didn't buy TF2 for the story...as interesting as the spy's relationship with the scout's mom is...

If the trailer for SC2 that just came out is any indication of the type of story we're going to get for the SP campaign, I'm a happy camper.  It's got passion, revenge, a hot chick (even if she does have weird alien wingy thingies) and characters that I feel like I won't have trouble connecting with.
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #1256 on: July 22, 2010, 11:49:15 AM

Uh, who here finished the SC1 campaign? If you played the SC1 campaign and enjoyed the story, I'd be surprised if you weren't stoked after that cinematic. It indicates the direction the story is going, and things could be badass.

If Kerrigan turns out to be another Arthas, I may start throwing things.

Then again, if Raynor goes to heroically save Kerrigan from teh awful bug aliens, and she sticks one of those spine things through his gut, I may cheer.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 11:52:51 AM by Ratman_tf »

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #1257 on: July 22, 2010, 01:35:14 PM

I'm assuming from this comment that you've never played any of Blizzard's single player RTS campaigns. That is the only way it makes any sense at all.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
rrazcueta
Terracotta Army

Reply #1258 on: July 22, 2010, 01:45:01 PM

Blizzard crafts games on multiple levels. Their games are always fun to play, but they also always craft lore. That's why their games are so successful. Even after you play a game forever, there's always a little information to be gleaned. That sometimes that information transfers into gameplay (Zergs infesting Terran Command Centers for one) is great, but I think it's bigger than that.

Anyways, you can argue if that's important or not, but Blizzard's cinematics always were meant as a vehicle for their lore. Every scene has an important-in-the-world-of-Starcraft thing. That medal? You can bet it's coming back. Also Raynor's pistol? That's part of his character.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #1259 on: July 22, 2010, 01:48:46 PM

SC1 had a bunch of good story missions, particularly the ones where you had 6 marines or whatever and had to clear out an installation. They have made a point of saying that with SC2 they want the RTS elements to blend seamlessly into the story, and will be a lot more than just "crush base A, crush base B" type missions that you see in other RTS games.

Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: StarCraft II Beta  
Jump to: