Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 12:28:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: I'm having a weird problem with my Eve client and my PC. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I'm having a weird problem with my Eve client and my PC.  (Read 8104 times)
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

on: April 16, 2009, 03:41:41 AM

If I leave my PC on for a few hours and boot up Eve I get these weird flickering graphical overlays that remind of a C64 crashing. If I restart my PC it fixes the problem, the oddest thing about it is I can't screen grab the glitch which leads me to believe it might be my monitor it's only Eve that is causing me problems as I have also updated my GFX drivers. I have noticed that Eve is using a lot more CPU than it used to, I was wondering is anyone else having similar problems?

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
lac
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 03:50:44 AM

I had an identical thing going when a video card started malfunctioning, after I while I got these weird striped areas somewhere on screen and only a reboot would fix it for a while.
It happened everywhere and didn't seem to be related to just one program so maybe you have something else going on.
mokianna
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 04:02:53 AM

eve makes video cards run HOT, it may be a temp problem. Blow out the dust inside, check the fan on the card, add an aftermarket cooler to video card, if none help, replace the video card.
Pax
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 05:19:56 AM

Apocrypha has introduced some of the weirdest GFX errors, like invisible control towers, squarey flickering textures, skybox going white and other textures inverting - it might well be a problem with EVE, not with your hardware.

Mia san de Borg. Aichan Widastaund keannt's aich ind' Hoar schmian.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 07:06:58 AM

Make sure EVE is set to run locked in at 60 fps or whatever. If you let it run free, EVE will run at '200+' fps and melt your video card. You won't notice any change in quality.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 08:55:46 AM

How do you tell it to run at 60 fps?
TheDreamr
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: April 16, 2009, 10:20:54 AM

In the ESC menu, graphics options there's a drop down with "interval immediate", "interval default" and "interval one"

Apparently these are CCP-speak for vsync - "interval one" should throttle the video card to the screen refresh rate.

edit button addict.
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: April 16, 2009, 10:53:58 AM

In the ESC menu, graphics options there's a drop down with "interval immediate", "interval default" and "interval one"

Apparently these are CCP-speak for vsync - "interval one" should throttle the video card to the screen refresh rate.

This setting made a dramatic difference regarding my cards temperature while running two clients

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: April 16, 2009, 11:11:04 AM

It made a big difference for me too. Thanks for the info!
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: April 16, 2009, 11:28:15 AM

Ok since the patch it seems to have improved the impact of the glitches.

This setting made a dramatic difference regarding my cards temperature while running two clients

I tried this before but the glitchiness was so bad it had no effect, that said since the patch it actually has a noticeable difference which at least points to where the problem is stemming from. Also DEP was switching off my Eve client but now it seems to be ok.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #10 on: April 16, 2009, 12:26:42 PM

Lately I've seen my client tend to crash when alt-tabbing out of it (not every time, but maybe 10-20% of the time...), which is really annoying.  If I don't do that, I don't have problems.  grr.
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: April 16, 2009, 01:39:16 PM

Ok since the patch it seems to have improved the impact of the glitches.

Also DEP was switching off my Eve client but now it seems to be ok.

Yeah, I was having trouble with that last night.  Booted me out a couple of times.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: April 16, 2009, 02:32:04 PM

Yeh the DEP is what's causing problems most likely, if I switched to windows mode it seems to fix it just noticed.

Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #13 on: April 16, 2009, 03:45:34 PM

I find that Windowing the client before alt-tabbing around helps avert crashes.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: April 17, 2009, 01:19:00 AM

I get fairly consistent crashes after closing the Eve client (I run in windowed mode) and not-infrequent ones after after swapping ships, usually from SMAs but also in station hangars on occasion.

My blog: http://endie.net

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #15 on: April 17, 2009, 02:11:59 AM

Finally installed the new client on the laptop.  Ugh.  Totally unusable.  It occasionally sees 25-30fps in near-empty space, not doing anything, but 5-9fps is more common in or near stations.  Have cranked around the graphics settings a bunch and think this is as good as it gets.  Grumble!
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: April 17, 2009, 04:10:59 AM

Yeah - my laptop ran it fine in it's previous incarnation - Apocrypha's system demands ruined that. TY on the Vsync fix - it stabalised the game nicely for me :)

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Jayce
Terracotta Army

Diluted Fool

Reply #17 on: April 17, 2009, 05:39:18 AM

Do you mean Data Execution Protection?  I just learned about that this morning.  That makes total sense since I believe the client makes use of client-side python scripting which probably compiles and runs out of the data area.

I think it's defaulted to off for 32-bit OS and defaulted to ON for 64 bit. Or maybe vice versa.

Witty banter not included.
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: April 17, 2009, 06:32:34 AM

Do you mean Data Execution Protection?  I just learned about that this morning.  That makes total sense since I believe the client makes use of client-side python scripting which probably compiles and runs out of the data area.

I think it's defaulted to off for 32-bit OS and defaulted to ON for 64 bit. Or maybe vice versa.

Yeh Data Execution prevention, it's doing something DEP doesn't like and I have tried to switch it off for the Eve.exe (the real .exe is in the data folder not the main Eve folder) but it won't let me. I don't know if you can totally switch DEP off without having a negative effect. It's possible one could switch off DEP using msconfig (anyone know?) and not have any problems as long you have a good virus checker but I'm not completely convinced. AFAIK CCP are aware of this problem but I think they just haven't found the source yet.

Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: April 17, 2009, 06:37:07 AM

Oh and yes I can't figure out how to switch off DEP the only options in the DEP tab are

Turn on DEP for essential windows programs and services only:

Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select:

The first one I presume is the one I should use?

Jayce
Terracotta Army

Diluted Fool

Reply #20 on: April 17, 2009, 08:26:47 AM

tl;dr: yes.

It sounds like you're in OptOut mode.  According to this, the best way to fix it is:

1. Click Start, click Run, type sysdm.cpl, and then click OK.
   2. On the Advanced tab, under Performance, click Settings.
   3. On the Data Execution Prevention tab, use one of the following procedures:
          * Click Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only to select the OptIn policy.
   4. Click OK two times.

That will turn on OptIn, which means only programs that request to be DEP'd will be.  That amounts to some OS files only.

On the same page is a Boot.ini hack to turn it always off, but I don't feel like being responsible for your computer not booting so you can read it yourself  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Witty banter not included.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: I'm having a weird problem with my Eve client and my PC.  
Jump to: