Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 02:13:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: NHL Playoffs '09 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 18 Go Down Print
Author Topic: NHL Playoffs '09  (Read 116298 times)
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #70 on: April 28, 2009, 04:56:13 PM

Is there even a point in watching this until the finals? Can anyone actually beat Detroit or Boston?

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: April 28, 2009, 06:55:31 PM

First: lol @ Rangers for thinking they can possibly win games by scoring one goal.

Second: Wow Carolina wtf?

As far as watching the second round, I'd say there's some interest to be had. Washington/Pittsburgh will be the apple of the network's eye, Carolina has been good and has a chance against Boston. Anaheim may also surprise Detroit.

F  is inviting you to start Quarto. Do you want to Accept (Alt+C) or Decline (Alt+D) the invitation?

You have accepted the invitation to start Quarto.

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
where we pour milk on the stomach alien from total recall
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #72 on: April 28, 2009, 07:23:36 PM

Second: Wow Carolina wtf?

WTF indeed. 2 goals in the last 2 minutes, come charging back from 3-2 deficit to claim game 7 on Devil ice. First goal I can excuse the mighty Marty but the GW by Staal? What a crushing loss for Devils and their fans…

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: April 28, 2009, 07:30:23 PM

Also this:

Pens vs. Caps

F  is inviting you to start Quarto. Do you want to Accept (Alt+C) or Decline (Alt+D) the invitation?

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: April 29, 2009, 02:38:56 AM

fucking penguins.   caps better not choke again.
Miguel
Terracotta Army

कुशल

Reply #75 on: April 29, 2009, 09:56:37 AM

If the Caps are going to choke (again), it will almost certainly be against the Penguins, just like in 1991, 1992 (after being up 3-1 in the series no doubt!), 1995 (after being up 3-1 in the series AGAIN), 1996, 2000, and 2001.

When I was living in Virginia in the 90's I can't recall how many times I came close to putting things through the screen of my TV.

At least I can root them on now after watching the Sharks lay down and die.

“We have competent people thinking about this stuff. We’re not just making shit up.” -Neil deGrasse Tyson
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #76 on: April 29, 2009, 10:27:30 AM

If the Caps are going to choke (again), it will almost certainly be against the Penguins, just like in 1991, 1992 (after being up 3-1 in the series no doubt!), 1995 (after being up 3-1 in the series AGAIN), 1996, 2000, and 2001.

When I was living in Virginia in the 90's I can't recall how many times I came close to putting things through the screen of my TV.

At least I can root them on now after watching the Sharks lay down and die.

Caps took series from Pens in '94 (a geriatric Pens squad on the downslope after Cup years and terrific '93 regular season and Islander upset that put kibosh on 3-peat). But Pens took at least half-dozen series from Caps.

But that's all history. I think Pens have big problems matching up with Cap (and Boston too, Carolina to some degree also) forwards — either too small or too slow on defensive end. And Caps took 3 of 4 in the regular season series, though you can toss that too as it's whole new season in post-season…

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #77 on: April 29, 2009, 11:25:34 AM

Yea, the only thing the League would have loved more would have been the Caps vs Pens in the Conference final.

That Carolina/New Jersey game was crazy. It was pure chance that I ended up watching the third period. The absolute highlight though was one of the replays went to freezeframe after the last goal, with a perfect shot of a blonde in the front row facepalming in disgust.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Miguel
Terracotta Army

कुशल

Reply #78 on: April 29, 2009, 12:31:28 PM

I think Pens have big problems matching up with Cap (and Boston too, Carolina to some degree also) forwards — either too small or too slow on defensive end

I was hearing similar things in 1998 about the matchup with Detroit....and look how that turned out. wink

We'll see, it should be interesting either way, but I've been disappointed too many times in the past to get my hopes up too high.

“We have competent people thinking about this stuff. We’re not just making shit up.” -Neil deGrasse Tyson
Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: April 29, 2009, 05:50:19 PM

Remember to put your round two picks in before the games start.

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
squirrel
Contributor

Reply #80 on: April 30, 2009, 06:58:46 PM

Canucks up 2-0 over Chicago in game 1 in the 2nd. I,m at the game her in Van and fuck is it loud! Go nucks!

Speaking of marketing, we're out of milk.
Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #81 on: April 30, 2009, 08:16:40 PM

Congrats on the win, 'nucks.

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
WayAbvPar

Reply #82 on: May 01, 2009, 07:42:26 AM

The last 22 minutes of that game took years off my life. I texted Trotski that the Canucks were going to lose with about 5 minutes left. I don't like having to use up tricks like reverse jinxes this early. Hopefully they will take this as a wakeup call and decide to play a full 60 minutes tomorrow night.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: May 01, 2009, 08:05:10 AM

Little like the Penguins.

They'll play the first. Or they'll play the third. But never both-  and never, ever will they show up in the second period.

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #84 on: May 01, 2009, 07:45:09 PM

Well they switch sides in the second, that's confusing!  Ohhhhh, I see.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #85 on: May 01, 2009, 09:33:47 PM

Hey, I've seen a guy score a goal into our own net in the second period. It IS confusing, apparently.

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: May 02, 2009, 10:51:33 AM

Typical.

Pens dominate first period 5 on 5.

Caps get a 5 on 3, go up 2-1.

Pens play like SHIT through the second... and probably the third.

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: May 02, 2009, 12:21:46 PM

Typical.

Pens dominate first period 5 on 5.

Caps get a 5 on 3, go up 2-1.

Pens play like SHIT through the second... and probably the third.

The difference:

Varlamov: 36 shots, 34 saves, 94%
Fleury: 26 shots, 23 saves, 88%

Fleury needs to play better for the Pens to win. Can't fault him for the 5 on 3 goal (Matt Cooke, you are an idiot, and I would have benched you for the rest of the game…) but the other 2 were ones he should have had, or at least on the 1st one controlled the rebound.

Granted, Varlamov was not as sensational as dim witted NBC announcers crowed on, but however you stop them, you stop them, and he atoned for the soft Eaton goal.

Pens matched up better than I thought and even with a subpar Fleury and idiot penalties that gave Caps 5 on 3 and mo switch, would have won if they actually were able to mount an effective power play.

They fix the power play and Fleury controls rebounds, and maybe they can take the series.

Gonchar getting way too much ice time (I understand why) but ~30 minutes too much ice time and his game was lagging in final minutes. Odd, though how Blysma managed Malkin minutes, he only played like 11 minutes through 1st 2 periods but half of 3rd. Even when he's not in sync with his linemates, he still just as dangerous as Sid or AO…

Looked like Fedorov really knows how to bottle up Staal and I thought he did yeoman job as defensive forward in general, but what happened to his O power — he looks really tentative with the puck.

Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: May 02, 2009, 12:24:57 PM

The Pens powerplay is the difference.

Period.

Yeah, gooch sucks and staal sucks and fleury is constantly kicking rebounds into the slot... but the powerplay has to fucking score sometimes. With that much talent on the ice. SOMETIMES.

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #89 on: May 03, 2009, 06:57:59 AM

Vancouver goes up 2-0 in the first period at home, and Chicago looked like shit on the ice. I started flipping back and forth between that and the NBA playoffs. By the time I get back it's 2-2 and the NBA game is wildly out of control, so I start paying attention again. From that point on in the second, Chicago just curbstomped Vancouver.

It's rare when I see a team look that different across the first and second half of the game. Luongo just collapsed and gave up 1 PP, 1 SH, and 3 regular strength goals.

Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #90 on: May 03, 2009, 07:09:04 AM

I watched that shit.

I was like.  ACK!

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #91 on: May 03, 2009, 09:07:21 AM

Vancouver goes up 2-0 in the first period at home, and Chicago looked like shit on the ice. I started flipping back and forth between that and the NBA playoffs. By the time I get back it's 2-2 and the NBA game is wildly out of control, so I start paying attention again. From that point on in the second, Chicago just curbstomped Vancouver.

It's rare when I see a team look that different across the first and second half of the game. Luongo just collapsed and gave up 1 PP, 1 SH, and 3 regular strength goals.

What an amazing game.

Canucks look like they're just imposing their will on Hawks, and then Hawks just burst out, and I really think they rattled Luongo, with all the contact in the crease… …the SH goal was beautiful too.

Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #92 on: May 03, 2009, 01:08:35 PM

Turned on the DET/ANA game with like 10-12 minutes left in the third.

Absolutely no idea how Anaheim has scored three goals. They never have the puck.

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #93 on: May 03, 2009, 02:01:41 PM

Hiller was money in that first OT.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #94 on: May 03, 2009, 03:16:13 PM

Fuck, Hiller was good that whole OT.

I'm glad it finally fucking ended though.

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #95 on: May 03, 2009, 03:21:37 PM

Someone finally beat Detroit while they were having a shitty day. Good for them.

I think the rust is fully off now though, so the Wings will take the next game with ease.

Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #96 on: May 03, 2009, 05:42:07 PM

Conclusively, that was a fucking Carolina goal. Period.

It was shown at several different angles on TSN.

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #97 on: May 03, 2009, 05:43:06 PM

Ya, serious job on Carolina there.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #98 on: May 03, 2009, 06:23:00 PM

Someone finally beat Detroit while they were having a shitty day. Good for them.

I think the rust is fully off now though, so the Wings will take the next game with ease.

Oh I don't know, Ducks played a lot better in game #1 and just melted down in 3rd… …today they were outplayed though they enjoyed stretches where they did dominate… …Getzlaf has shined in post-season, and may be more MVP than Crosby, Malkin, AO, etc.… …and I think Duck D squad most solid in NHL. Wings just are deep with talent and they'll no doubt wear Ducks down as the series unwinds…

Haven't seen much of Bruin play and going into today, looked like they were waltzing through 1st 2 rounds unscathed. Tonight, Canes being scrappy though it still likes Bruins team to beat this Cup season…

Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #99 on: May 03, 2009, 06:24:35 PM

So the playoffs is pretty much just about goalies. I don't think they're getting shit by Cam Ward tonight.

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #100 on: May 03, 2009, 06:52:01 PM

So the playoffs is pretty much just about goalies. I don't think they're getting shit by Cam Ward tonight.

We'll see how far they can ride him.

On non-goalie personnel, they probably least of all the final 8.

And yes, that was a goal. Bob Errey on NHL channel defending referees — no Bob, I think it's pretty clear that crossed the plane…

murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #101 on: May 04, 2009, 06:39:29 AM

Remember to put your round two picks in before the games start.

DERP!

Hawks look like they might give Vancouver a bigger fight than I originally thought. Still think Boston and Detroit are gonna move on, but the Ducks and Canes will give them a fight. I'm looking forward to the Caps/Penguins getting a bit nasty.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #102 on: May 04, 2009, 08:10:40 AM

I thought the Canucks would roll over the Hawks. Toews is obviously hurt, Kane was out a game near the end of the first round, a couple of their defense are hurt and I'm waiting for the Khabibulin implosion.

What can I say, though. I should have realized that the canucks are still the canucks and are likely to implode at any given time for no real reason.

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #103 on: May 04, 2009, 05:14:05 PM

at end period 2 in game #2 of pit v. wash…

…unbelievable bullshit penalty call on kunitz for a phantom (trip|hook|elbow|*)? on ovechkin - in regular season may see something like that but never in post-season have i witnessed such a phantom call as that.

…if fleury doesn't step his game up, pens are toast. yeah, i know those are tough shots to stop, but it's cup time, and that is what separates champion from chump. he should have stopped those 2.

naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #104 on: May 04, 2009, 06:12:43 PM

SAVEPCT
Fleury: 88%
Valarmov: 92%

Fleury sucks. He is no Cup goalie. Don't give me garbage about how hard AO shoots, he had clear look and that's a stop a Cup winning goalie makes. Period.

OTOH, Pens D is atrocious — AO had 12 SOG. Inexcusable.

And Caps D (Kurcina, Green, etc.…) are mauling Malkin and Pens forwards and really taking them off their game. Blysma needs to juggle the lines but we'll see what happens when they get last sub in Pittsburgh.

It's starting to look like a sweep.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 18 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: NHL Playoffs '09  
Jump to: