Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:40:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Browser-Based Titles  |  Topic: Dark Orbit 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dark Orbit  (Read 7420 times)
Venkman
Terracotta Army

on: April 13, 2009, 12:48:16 PM

Dark Orbit

Browser-based space action shooter. Three different clans, multiple zones, looks like only one server, trade, ship customization. Fighting is auto-attack with occasional hot buttons. There are two currencies, Credits and Uridium. Credits gets you the basics but the real stuff is in Uridium.

Pretty straight forward in the milieu of those European browser-based MMORPGs, except this one isn't turn-based (or doesn't feel turn-based).

Free to play, you can opt for a Silver Package which increases the speed of logout to 5 seconds, lowers the cost of repairs, gives a rebate and increase storage capacity. Gold Package does the same stuff but better. You can also buy Uridium for cash ($4US for 7,500 up to $99.99USD for 330,000).

Newbie community is about what I've experienced everywhere else. Ask honest questions and get good help. Be a jerk, get treated like one. The usual.

Developed by and hosted on Bigpoint which has a bunch of other MMOs as well.

It's not bad. A bit mindless so far but not sure if that's just usual newbie syndrome.
Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 01:13:48 PM

Now with 16 million registered users!

It's the WoW killer!

F  is inviting you to start Quarto. Do you want to Accept (Alt+C) or Decline (Alt+D) the invitation?

You have accepted the invitation to start Quarto.

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
where we pour milk on the stomach alien from total recall
Aez
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 02:21:45 PM

The screenshots you posted look good but the gameplay video I just watched is horrible.  It's way too zoomed in.  ACK!

click and lose all interest in the game

LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 09:11:56 PM

I played for about a half hour and wish I hadn't. It's terrible.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 05:13:11 AM

The screenshots you posted look good but the gameplay video I just watched is horrible.  It's way too zoomed in.  ACK!

click and lose all interest in the game

Yea, and oddly, there's no zoom-in/out feature that I could find. That video isn't aided by the fact that you can buy ships that are pretty big.

In general, I walked away from this title with the same "why did they set it in space again?" feeling I get with so many of these titles. Space is 3D or it's not worth being in space.
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 08:03:14 AM

In general, I walked away from this title with the same "why did they set it in space again?" feeling I get with so many of these titles. Space is 3D or it's not worth being in space.

Escape Velocity and its sequels say you're over-generalizing.

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 09:03:05 AM

Yeah, the whole EV series is good. Try it out!

Transcendence is pretty good as well, and it's free.

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: April 15, 2009, 12:18:08 PM

Escape Velocity and its sequels say you're over-generalizing.
You drag out a decade old Mac game as a counter-example? Might as well point to the original Star Trek game for Apple //e  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

We all grew up playing Asteroids. I even had a bit of fun in the early 2000s Star Trek RTS game. But it just feels old. I can play planar games all day long, even ground-based sci-fi is fine to me. But if you're going to be set in space (or even just in the air), it should be dimensional in some form or it just doesn't take advantage of being in space/air and is therefore a miss. To me anyway. YMMV.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Browser-Based Titles  |  Topic: Dark Orbit  
Jump to: