Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:46:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Mark & Olly: Living with the Machigenga 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mark & Olly: Living with the Machigenga  (Read 2544 times)
gryeyes
Terracotta Army

on: March 26, 2009, 01:42:04 PM

Ok i recently was watching this show. And its to me is pretty apparent that the entire show is fucking fake. I tried to google around to confirm and was unable to do so. I looked up the guys and they appear to be legit yet the show is obviously not "real".

Ive noticed "faked" documentary type shows are more and more common and it infuriates me. Has anyone else seen this show and noticed the same thing?
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 03:42:25 PM

I haven't seen it.  I haven't even heard of it.  What have they done that makes it obviously fake?  Does it all look staged or something?

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
gryeyes
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 04:15:44 PM

Its obviously scripted. They take a boat up river to visit this hidden tribe of people. When arriving at the village they are met by 3 warrior looking guys who tell them to fucking leave. They ignore the villagers and continue to pester them until given a quest to go get some food (apparently they did not bring ANY supplies with them) While on this quest there is a camera man inside the village taping the villagers (he obviously got permission to stay even tho denied entry). After coming back empty handed they are then adopted by the villagers as children.

We are supposed to believe they started this expedition with no food supplies of any kind. Refuse to leave the village when met by pissed looking warriors who tell them in no uncertain terms to leave. Then are given a quest which they fail yet are still accepted into the village.

angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 06:34:30 PM

The series where they lived on the hilltop with the African penis-gourd tribesman seemed real enough. The only iffy thing about the show seemed to be that they played up the drama as often as they could for the sake of entertaining TV. I only saw the first episode of the one you're talking about. I can see what you're talking about, but I didn't think the villiage chief looked angry so much as bored and annoyed. The chief just told them to go away because he wasn't going to spare the food for them a couple times so they hung out at the river where they arrived at. They asked him again and he basically said "Whatever, if you can find enough food to feed you for a day you can stay". The whole villiage just stood around laughing at them trying to spearfish and poking bushes. After a couple of villagers saying "Why are they even trying? White people can't hunt..." and "The idiots are going to starve..." they came back empty handed. The chief told them they could have one meal and then they had to leave. They then fed them the most disgusting shit I've seen... boiled monkey fists, mashed up caterpillars, etc. After the two white guys gnawed on the fists for a while everyone busted out laughing and told them no one eats that repulsive shit. The chief then told them it was a test to see if they were good sports and willing to do unpleasant things or if they were going to be whiny dicks. They had passed and could stay. 

That being said, I don't think they're as isolated as they pretend, thered more than a few nike hats to be seen around the villiage.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 06:40:18 PM by angry.bob »

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
gryeyes
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 06:54:36 PM

The body language of the natives does not match the circumstances they try to portray. Neither does the reaction of mark and olly. You are right in that the natives don't look angry but the words they are saying were "white people come and destroy our land and take our trees there is no place for you LEAVE". They completely mumble these words looking passive and confused. That is the tribal leader flanked by two spear wielding warriors. He told you to leave and yet you stand there and repeat yourself over and over. A chief is going to let his command be blatantly ignored? That meeting and their stay was for certain arranged before hand. The shots that go back and fourth from the villagers to them trying to hunt is just silly. Also, during the first night in the pitch blackness a single tribesman comes into their camp and tells them to leave. He is apparently a ninja that navigates the jungle by sense of smell. If the situation was "real" they would not be behaving like that if they wanted to live. Or if they thought there was any risk of harm. Real villagers completely contrived circumstances.
SDVoyager
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: March 29, 2009, 08:54:47 PM

I agree that this show is pretty much entirely scripted.  I'm actually not that convinced that they arent just some random people from some peruvian town that they dressed up like the Machigenga.  That said, it is an entertaining show, just watched the part with them tripping out on a psychodelic root, that was a riot to watch.   But ya, knowing that it is in some way not completely "real" does take a bit away from it.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Mark & Olly: Living with the Machigenga  
Jump to: