Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 07, 2024, 08:05:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Vanguard: Saga of Heroes, Live Gamer Exchange 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vanguard: Saga of Heroes, Live Gamer Exchange  (Read 10675 times)
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

on: March 13, 2009, 01:04:20 PM

Sony Online Entertainment has partnered with Live Gamer to provide Vanguard: Saga of Heroes customers with the same exchange system that our EverQuest II customers on The Bazaar and Vox servers enjoy.  Live Gamer exchange provides the security and transparency needed to trade virtual items with confidence, and with the Live Gamer system, participants will be able to both auction and purchase virtual assets (characters, coin, and items) securely and safely and without the risk of the fraudulent activities that plague 3rd party websites that are not authorized by SOE to provide these services.

Participation in Live Gamer exchange is not mandatory or required, but those wishing to participate in this new service must first register an account with www.livegamer.com.  Once registered, you can then utilize the in-game system to upload virtual assets to your Live Gamer account and auction them to others.  You can also use your Live Gamer account to bid on and purchase virtual assets and to send them to your in-game characters / accounts.

Live Gamer is offering an in-game incentive for trying the system out.  Customers that register with Live Gamer within the first two weeks will receive a jewelry box which when opened will offer a choice between one of three items, each targeted towards one of the three key professions.  For more information about this offer, please visit www.livegamer.com after the service has launched.

We will append this post with availability dates for the new service as soon as possible.

For more information on how to set up your Live Gamer account, please visit this link in our Knowledge Base.

The following thread is available for discussion of the new Vanguard Live Gamer Exchange service./quote]

Link

I foresee much anger due to this.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 01:22:23 PM

So mandatory SOEbay for all servers?

That's just really horrible and a betrayal of their customers. It's one thing to have this on ghetto servers, it's quite another to run an entire game with it.

I suggested in the next big SOE thing that their reputation was grinding them down. This now goes to the top of the exhibits entered into evidence.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 01:23:56 PM

It's one thing to have this on ghetto servers, it's quite another to run an entire game with it.

I didn't realize Vanguard had anything left but ghetto servers.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: March 13, 2009, 01:24:52 PM

Rimshot

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
Dtrain
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: March 13, 2009, 01:32:58 PM

SOE hate is so 2004. I don't have a finger on the pulse of the Vanguard community by any stretch of the imagination, but I imagine that there are 12 people who are going to be very upset about this. Vanguard is a terrible horrible awful game and I would applaud SOE's efforts if they were to personally visit anyone who is still playing it and mangle their reproductive organs with a ball-peen hammer to prevent future generations of gamers from having extreme bad taste.

In all seriousness, this is probably preferable to shutting down the 3? servers that are left for this game.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: March 13, 2009, 01:41:04 PM

So mandatory SOEbay for all servers?

That's just really horrible and a betrayal of their customers. It's one thing to have this on ghetto servers, it's quite another to run an entire game with it.
It's okay, because Vanguard customers are hardcore, right?  Maybe not Darkfall hardcore, but certainly McQuaid hardcore.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #6 on: March 13, 2009, 03:47:03 PM

The former leader of a guild I played with in WoW is currently leading a large Australian-based raiding guild in Vanguard. I raised my eyebrows when I heard that, but if there are enough people in Vanguard for a niche guild to exist in a niche timezone, it can't be doing so badly. They are apparently having the time of their lives.

And this SOE RMT thing is so tragically far from the Sigil vision it's hilarious. I got kicked out of Vanguard beta for having a secret, passworded, guild-only messageboard for our Vanguard guild (a disgruntled member gave Sigil the password, and only official forums were allowed). That's how strict their regime was, and at the level of RMT it basically involved sending ninja assassins to kill offenders. Farewell Smed, GM Hidden Dragon is coming for you.
schild
Administrator

Reply #7 on: March 13, 2009, 03:48:51 PM

That's all well and good, because, do you hear that silence? That's the sound of the world at large giving two shits about how SOE manages to make Vanguard profitable. Say all you want, no one cares about the Sigil vision as it was one of epic failure and hilarity.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #8 on: March 13, 2009, 03:52:18 PM

That's all well and good, because, do you hear that silence? That's the sound of the world at large giving two shits about how SOE manages to make Vanguard profitable. Say all you want, no one cares about the Sigil vision as it was one of epic failure and hilarity.

"Say all you want"? Say what?
schild
Administrator

Reply #9 on: March 13, 2009, 03:55:53 PM

"Say all you want"? Say what?

That particular part should have been on it's own line as it was addressed to anyone at all talking about this being bad for Vanguard and The Vision.
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: March 13, 2009, 06:17:04 PM

"His lost vision became like the wind, blowing where it willed."

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: March 14, 2009, 12:01:21 AM

The former leader of a guild I played with in WoW is currently leading a large Australian-based raiding guild in Vanguard. I raised my eyebrows when I heard that, but if there are enough people in Vanguard for a niche guild to exist in a niche timezone, it can't be doing so badly. They are apparently having the time of their lives.

Not trying to diminish their experience or anything, but I'm fairly certain there is nothing about Vanguard that is not niche, including playtime in every timezone.  I would be interested to see their stories of the time they've spent in Vanguard, mainly out of curiosity.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #12 on: March 14, 2009, 12:28:17 AM

I would be interested to see their stories of the time they've spent in Vanguard, mainly out of curiosity.

I'm not really in touch with them, but they're here: http://reverence.ausmmo.com.au
Kovacs
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: March 14, 2009, 12:54:33 PM

That's all well and good, because, do you hear that silence? That's the sound of the world at large giving two shits about how SOE manages to make Vanguard profitable. Say all you want, no one cares...

And you would know.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: March 14, 2009, 01:17:49 PM

That's all well and good, because, do you hear that silence? That's the sound of the world at large giving two shits about how SOE manages to make Vanguard profitable. Say all you want, no one cares...

And you would know.

No, he's right.  No one cares.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #15 on: March 14, 2009, 03:32:46 PM

And you would know.

So far it looks like you come out of lurking just to say something stupid.
Hayduke
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: March 14, 2009, 05:34:19 PM

I'm sure both players are overjoyed that SOE has found a way to keep the lights on.  But seriously most flash games are of more relevance at this point.
Sparky
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: March 15, 2009, 07:36:13 AM

I'm sure both players are overjoyed that SOE has found a way to keep the lights on.  But seriously most flash games are of more relevance at this point.

I'm quite sure that "throw shoes at Bush" game made more money.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: March 15, 2009, 01:50:06 PM

Is SOE even developing new games anymore or are they just caretaking other people's failures?
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: March 15, 2009, 03:03:37 PM

DC Online and The Agency are in development, supposedly.  But from what I've seen, neither are MMOs in the traditional sense of the meaning.

The Agency does look kinda cool though.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: March 15, 2009, 03:16:40 PM

Free Realms too.

And DCUO seems like a traditional MMO just with a tweaked UI.
Jerrith
Developers

Trion

Reply #21 on: March 15, 2009, 04:00:59 PM

I haven't talked with anyone at SOE lately, but last June, there was this:

President of SOE, John Smedley, has heartily stated that the "next round" of MMOs will be made for both the PC and PS3

If you're looking for the most traditional PC only sort of MMO, that may not be what they've got in store for us.

As for the original subject, from a business perspective, I don't think it's a bad move.  At this point, I think the impact on the game will be minimal, and the results, while likely small, will help a little.

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #22 on: March 15, 2009, 05:13:25 PM

They better get a moveon then, because Sony's going to start talking PS4 in the next year or two. 
schild
Administrator

Reply #23 on: March 15, 2009, 05:30:25 PM

They better get a moveon then, because Sony's going to start talking PS4 in the next year or two. 

No, they won't. Microsoft will however probably talk about the Xbox 3 with blu-ray and almost no other updates. They might make it less ugly. Also, HDD will be standard, as will wifi. They have a lot of catch-up to play, whereas PS3 doesn't.
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: March 15, 2009, 09:12:54 PM

The Wii will inherit the Earth.  The next round of MMOs will be designed for the waggle stick  awesome, for real

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: March 15, 2009, 09:50:17 PM

No, they won't. Microsoft will however probably talk about the Xbox 3 with blu-ray and almost no other updates. They might make it less ugly. Also, HDD will be standard, as will wifi. They have a lot of catch-up to play, whereas PS3 doesn't.

Simply looking at track records, PS1 released in 1995, PS2 in 2000, and PS3 in 2006.  That's roughly 5-6 years between launches.  If they stay on that track, late 2011 should be a PS4, but we'll be reading about it in 2010.  Sony touts a 10 year support/design plan for the PS2, I assume they're doing the same for the PS3. 

Of course, there's a bazillion other factors involved now.  A primary one is the launch of a new system into this economy which would likely be a bad move. 

You know more about this stuff than I do though, I'm just looking at facts and track records. 
schild
Administrator

Reply #26 on: March 16, 2009, 01:26:53 AM

Simply looking at track records, PS1 released in 1995, PS2 in 2000, and PS3 in 2006.  That's roughly 5-6 years between launches.  If they stay on that track, late 2011 should be a PS4, but we'll be reading about it in 2010.  Sony touts a 10 year support/design plan for the PS2, I assume they're doing the same for the PS3. 

Of course, there's a bazillion other factors involved now.  A primary one is the launch of a new system into this economy which would likely be a bad move. 

You know more about this stuff than I do though, I'm just looking at facts and track records. 
Actually, the reason they won't is that the PS2 is still being produced, modified and going strong in most countries around the world. Yes, history points to what you're saying, but the PS2 still has a stranglehold on many stores shelves the world over. History however is unprecedented in the fact that 3 gens of consoles aren't available at once. Unless they take a bus to crazytown, we'll hear about the PS3 when the PS2 is officially done. Which will be sometime after they announce full software emulation - so maybe never, haha. Seriously, the economy isn't ready for a new console and the PS3 will go through at least 1 if not 2 console redesigns before the PS4 is even thought about. PSP 2 is next.
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #27 on: March 16, 2009, 05:20:02 AM

It's hard to guesstimate a trend based on such a short spread.  Based on those figures the time lapses could easily be 5/6/7 and thus we'd be looking at a 2013 release for a PS4.  But in reality it's the money that plays.  A company isn't likely to push something out unless it's profitable to do so.  After the PS3's rocky launch in terms of PR, they're going to be playing it careful if they're not retarded.

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: March 16, 2009, 05:42:53 AM

The PS3 doesn't really need a sequel. They need more support to unlock its bigger potential. Not sure how (or if) they'll get it. But as schild said, there's really no reason for a PS4. Consoles are no longer just about pushing pixels.

And the Xbox doesn't really need a sequel just yet either. Not for the kind of broad offerings it has.

I think we'll hear about a Wii2/HD well before we even hear about an Xbox 3.

And before that we'll get an X360 with standard wifi. Not sure about bluray, since if you already have an X360, you only need to replace it when it breaks. If it doesn't break, you're more likely to go by a CE bluray player than a new X360 just because it has the drive.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #29 on: March 16, 2009, 09:20:08 AM

A PS4, or XB720 wouldn't focus on more pixel pushing power, I'd think.  Faster loading, more RAM (for larger zones), better wi-fi and Blu-ray for the XB would be what I'd expect to see out of them.  We're already pushing photorealistic games, from what I've seen of the racing ones, so more graphics processing isn't going to be too big a sell point.  Particularly since it hasn't done much for either system this gen compared to its far less powerful (and less pricy) competition.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: March 16, 2009, 10:12:23 AM

Just like the Playstation, and the Playstation 2, as time goes on, the use of its hardware will improve (By those developing on it), just as the ps2 before it crushing its competitors. All the Playstation consoles have had this ramp up. The console has not been out very long. I will dare to say, that all games released to date are using about 30% of its power (as most i bet are using brute force to overcome, instead of understand its complexities). Yes, i pulled this from my ass, but look at early PS2 games, then late PS2 games.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 10:14:40 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #31 on: March 16, 2009, 12:55:21 PM

Deja vu.

"Who uses Outlook anyway?  People who get what they deserve, that's who." - Ard.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #32 on: March 16, 2009, 02:09:58 PM

How bad off is Vanguard? Not even a page goes by in the thread announcing its descent into EBay-land, and we're circle-jerking the next theoretical iteration of the Playstation and XBox brands.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: March 16, 2009, 03:33:07 PM

What's Vanguard?
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: March 16, 2009, 08:23:47 PM

circle-jerking

The more the merrier, good sir.   awesome, for real
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Vanguard: Saga of Heroes, Live Gamer Exchange  
Jump to: